I’m thinking you probably aren’t sure whether to be intrigued…or frightened! I can certainly understand. I’m actually not trying to do either, but rather, take you on my own personal journey for truth and authenticity in my life. (Ok, I guess I did want to intrigue you enough to get you back to read this post. But it worked, didn’t it? :) )
Anyway. Here is what I know. Before I can expect anyone to be real with me, I first have to be willing to go there myself.
That’s what this blog post is all about.
I guess whether or not you visit my blog again depends on how much you appreciate what’s real. For me, I have always loved interactions with real people who don’t profess to be perfect and aren’t afraid to tell the truth. I’m not talking about the heart on the sleeve kind of thing…I am talking about honesty…integrity…knowing oneself…and learning how to wear the flesh I was born with while not letting it rule over me. Telling the truth is an integral part of that for me.
I’ve kept you waiting long enough, so let me get started.
First, I have a question for you. Take a minute and answer it carefully and honestly.
Is what you see always what you get?
I could illustrate this point with many different things, but in keeping with my “getting real” theme, let me illustrate by using a few “snapshots” from my own life…
Here are some things I want you to see…



Here are some things I don’t want you to see…




Here are some things I don't want you to see...
Speaking of which, I think this is a good time to tell you what I have in common with a well-known Hollywood actress. Stay with me. I promise, it all relates.
Jaime Lee Curtis -- the woman known largely for a most bodacious body (think True Lies). I wanted to post her picture here, but I wouldn’t want any male readership to come across it. Their wives might not appreciate me posting it! (Hint: google her)
She could have stopped with our impression of her in a skimpy bikini and let us envy her for looking so perfect. She didn’t have to do anything to change our opinion of her perfection. She didn’t have to get real. But she did. Take a look...
I still remember the first time I saw this picture -- the gutsy move this Hollywood actress made when she posed for a magazine in boy shorts and a sports bra without (gasp!) any airbrushing. At the age of 44, Jaime Lee Curtis showed her “real” side by allowing herself to be photographed without make-up, spray-on tanner, or photo shopping. She did it to show how 44-year-old women REALLY look, without the help of computer-generated doctoring. And I have mad respect for her because of it.
So, what do we have in common? Not much, really. I have never made a movie or gone to a movie premiere. I have never experienced fame and don’t personally know any Hollywood actors. I have never even seen the kind of money she has at her disposal. I don’t live in California, and I wasn’t raised by parents who were famous. I have never had the killer body she had or lived the glamorous life she leads.
But I do share her desire to cut through the “fluff” and just be real.
In truth, I have always been a get-real kind of girl. But I have to say, age and deeper spiritual maturity has given me the increased desire to be authentic and real in any and every area of my life. And, in this last post of ’07, I am exposing myself and my soul to you in the best way I know how. Following Jaime Lee Curtis’ lead, I want to be an example of what non-perfection looks like.
She looks like me.
But pictures won’t tell you everything. Just in case you think dust on my baseboards and junky garages and closets are my only imperfections, let me further expose myself to you. Rest assured, there are other things I don’t necessarily want you to “see” about me. I sure hope you can handle my truth.
I don’t want you to see...
...I am sometimes very stubborn.
... I sometimes eat too much and regret it later.
... I sometimes justify my purchases at the mall and sometimes never think twice about them.
... I am sometimes not a very good wife to my husband.
... I sometimes laugh at jokes I shouldn’t.
... I have, at times, yelled at my children, even though I wish I could say I never have.
... I sometimes hold back tears when I really need to cry.
... I sometimes fear getting older and becoming more and more anonymous to those younger than me.
...I sometimes put other things before my relationship with Christ, and I sometimes stand Him up for our 7am standing appointment.
...my back fat, cellulite or growing number of grays and wrinkles.
...I sometimes compromise when I shouldn’t.
... I sometimes envy women who are more laid back than me and can let things roll off their back with greater ease.
... I get sad at times, thinking about my parents one day not being around anymore to advise and encourage me.
... I sometimes wish I had more money.
... I sometimes wish I laughed more and worried less.
... I often want to grab my children and keep them cocooned in our safe home forever, never letting them out of my sight for a minute.
... I sometimes don’t love my body.
... I sometimes get nervous, hesitant and insecure and want to run from serving God.
... I sometimes worry about my health.
... I sometimes am very selfish.
... I sometimes regret things from my past or strained relationships with people I once cared about.
...I sometimes try to control everything around me and wind up exhausted in the process.
...I sometimes think my way is better than God’s way and try it out first.
...I sometimes want to quit.
...Sometimes…some days…thoughts of inadequacies and shortcomings and failures flood my mind and make me feel very insecure.
...I sometimes fear my friends and family -- those I love -- might one day stop loving me altogether.
...I sometimes resist vulnerability, even though I need it more than most anything else in my life.
Though the list could go on, I will spare you the rest of my many imperfections. I think I have probably convinced you by now that I am far from any measured standard!
Friends, I am doing what I resist today – being completely vulnerable with you – because, well, I need to. It is easy to list all my “good things” on a profile or in a professional bio. It’s easy to show the world pleasing pictures of me that have been photo shopped or taken with a great camera angle. It’s easy to show you the things I want you to see, rather than the things that make up the “me” that I really am…the “ragamuffin” me I sometimes wish I wasn’t. But that’s not true authenticity. It’s not getting down and dirty, nitty gritty….real. And that’s what I want to do.
Jesus is a real God. He deals in real life. He tackles real issues. He desires real relationships with real people who aren’t afraid to tell the truth. He wants nothing more than for us to be real with ourselves, each other, and most of all, with Him. In fact, He can’t have the kind of relationship He wants to have with us until we are.
So, while I am far from any worldly measured standard of perfection, I am closer to spiritual perfection than I ever have been. With each day that goes by my imperfect body and fleshly, fallible nature is diminishing and I am getting nearer and nearer to the perfection I so crave. (“but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.” I Corinthians 13:10 NKJV)
But in the meantime, getting real reminds me to see myself through the lens of my precious Heavenly Father, who could not be more real if He were physically sitting in the room with me right now. I am a serial sinner, saved by His undeserved grace. I am a fearful, inadequate woman who can be fearless and adequate by His power and through His holiness. I am a mess of a person, but He continually cleans me up. Author Erwin Lutzre once said, “God is a specialist. He is able to work our inadequacies into His plans.” I don't know about you, but I am certainly counting on it! :)
With this thought in mind, I can be free to be the picture of imperfection and not be afraid to show it to you or see it for myself. I need to be imperfect so He can shine His glorious perfections through me for me and the rest of the world to see. People may not love me, but people cannot resist the Jesus in me. Boy, does that take the pressure off.
Girls, will you join me in getting real in 2008? Let’s not call it a resolution, but rather, a necessity for growth. I have long believed that if I am not growing, I am probably dying in some way. I’m not willing to let my need for others to think I have it all together get in the way of living in truth and authenticity! What about you?
My next blog will be in a new year. I have something exciting to share with you, and I hope you will come back. Don’t worry – there won’t be any other big “reveal” about me. I’m not sure if there is anything else to share after this blog! :)
Thanks for letting me expose myself to you. I hope I wasn’t too imperfect for your taste. Praise God I’m not too imperfect for His.
Lisa :)











29 comments:
Lisa, I LOVED this. I loved how open you were and how you invited us all to go there with you. That took some serious guts, girl. I respect you for that. You have challenged me with this post.
But I won't be posting any pictures of me sans makeup on my blog anytime soon... so don't go getting your hopes up.
That is one big reveal I will save the world from!
Seriously, I can't wait to read the next installment. It would be great if you would write up some "getting real" questions to help us all "go there" a bit more each week.
As if you needed some homework, right?
Lisa, it was very good! I thought that you really laid it out there for us and gave us a lot to think about. Now, I'm not really sure how you got the nerve to put all that on there, but the Lord will use it in a mighty way.
This one leaves you wanting more, so I can't wait to read next weeks. I know it will be good!!
You are inviting and intriguing
You are pristine and passionate
didn't change one thought
of what I already EXPERIENCED
from you...I'm always asking myself what is stirring in my heart as I read, as I live and you have already stirred me for HIM---
but I would say that you are not vulnerable with a purpose, a demand...I think most people get honest, get vulnerable so that people will come through for them...but you have "no string's attached" to this post and "no props." And I love it! You are AUTHENTIC, Lisa. That's the kind of people I am so wanting to be around these days in my life. I'll be back. You know the difference between being vulnerable and authentic, I believe. I have to run to get my son to basketball but let me quickly say: I have spent too much of my life where my awareness of my present pain is deeper than my awareness of my "serial" (i liked that word) sin.
Hide beneath the pain rather than sin. So relief became my ideal not repentance. My brokenness was shallow and my repentance was way too casual...I'm not there anymore. And I don't know how I made the shift, Lisa, all I know is that I don’t have to live up to a standard anymore checking off the boxes of my goals--no more. I have had passionate attachment to second things not first things. No more. You know, C.S. Lewis' quote about first things. I want to think journey this new year, not solutions. Do I value anything or anyone more than the glory of God? What do I want more than the love of my beautiful Christ? I am so struggling yet hopeful. I LOVED YOUR POST.
Gotta run....sorry this quick post was way too long. You are a joy to me.
Kudos to you girlfriend! I have to say that as I scrolled down with the "after" pics of the house and then saw the "before" pics of you I thought, oh surely she's not going to. Then when I saw the "real" you I lol and said "OH NO SHE DI-N'T!" LOVE IT!!
What a challenge and like any real woman should...I ACCEPT!! Anything less would be clanging cymbals to the Father's ear anyway! Thanks for your courage and I look forward to more!
Val
I'm in! Authenticity is the cry of my heart...I have been on that path for the greater part of 2007 and it is SO freeing!
For me it has mostly been about knocking off the people pleasing. In the past, I have had a terrible time needing the affirmation of people. This past year was a huge breakthrough year. God freed me in a way I can hardly describe, but it is truly His grace!
So yay! I am all about continuing on the path of authenticity. I'll join you Lisa!
Teri
P.S. My ceiling fan looks just like yours. (The dust...ahhhhh!)
You are awesome Lisa!!! Thanks for a great message that I know I myself need!!! A God-filled authenticity...what more could we want out of life?! Thank you!! Happy New Year 2008!!!!
Christy
Girls,
Thank you SO much for your kind words of encouragement and support with this post. When you put yourself out there like I did, you relish in some reassurance that your actions actually meant something to someone! So...thanks!
I know this journey of authenticity is going to be a freeing one for all of us. It's great to have some sisters who share my desire for transparency. Thanks for loving Him enough to get real!
Love you!
Lisa :)
Lisa,
Wow! you are one gutsy lady! (I look bad enough with the makeup and all that, I could scare small children without it!) Thank you for your courage and for encouraging all of us to live lives of authenticity. I've enjoyed reading several of your posts and will definitely be back to check in on you!
Laura B.
Such an awesome post - and I LOVE that quote!
How glad am I to have found you today???
Fabulous post.
I think we should all do a get real photo contest! I know if I posted a picture of me with a cold and no makeup after cleaning my house all day photo--- it would scare the pants off someone. And then they would be all embarrassed and seriously exposed!
Smiles!
Great post today Lisa~
Yes, I think our hearts beat to the same drum.
Hi Lisa,
I came to your blog after reading a comment you wrote on my friend Kelly's blog. I've actually stopped by here before but I'm not sure if I've ever left my own comment?! So first of all, The Biggest Loser was great last night (i saw you mentioned that on kelly's). I can't wait for this season to unravel! Second of all, what a great post you wrote! Seriously, it really got me thinking! We do have a tendency to show our best side to just about everyone. Very few people see the real us, at all different angles and lighting. I'm definitely challenged by what you wrote!
What a wonderful introduction to the thoughts and ideas that you're putting into your book. It's funny how we're so familiar with the things that we're too scared to expose--the things that make up our lives--but we have no idea how to reconcile their presence and our standards. I'm really glad that you've chosen to write on this subject--it's a big one for me.
I think as women we (or I can say that I) always want to seem like we have it together and have a perfect life. It's very hard to show those parts of our lives that are ugly.
I love that you have a beautiful home and have a messy closet or two (so do I and I won't ever let anyone see it)ha!
God sees what is in our hearts......
You are AWESOME.
you are the greatest! keep up the good work... you never cease to amaze me with your thoughts and your wisdom... I LOVE YOU !
Di
BHFH! I love it! Thanks for stopping by and visiting me, Lisa, and for your sweet words (I still hold that me without makeup could clear a crowded building fast). I'm having so much fun making new friends through the blogworld! Keep posting!
Smiles,
Laura
Thanks, Laura!
You must have visited Marybeth's blog and saw my new motto for 2008.
You know what? I think that is my next post! Thanks for the prompt!
Lisa :)
Thanks, Di. I so appreciate your support and love!
Lisa :)
I don't know how I found you, but I am in love with this post! You are too funny! I love that it is soon real and honest! You are inspiring me to open up more! : )
Jessica
I love people who are real. I try to make it my policy, but (using Teri's term)I am a people pleaser. This is something I have been working on as of late. Like most people I find it easier to be real with people who are real with me.
And thank you for posting the dust on your ceiling fan...so thankful I'm not alone in that ;-)
ah, transparency... so much more fun to look at on others than on oneself, no?
thanks for sharing, and for the comment on my blog... i'll be back fo sho!
Lisa...I had to keep reading...I am in awe. The love of the LORD...the real you...the REAL LOVE of the LORD shines through all of this! I have to be ruthlessly honest...I am dealing w/some tough crap (sorry) right now. My family has been praying for one of my sisters for a healing (younger than I am---congestive heart failure/pulmonary hypertension---faced death head one more than twice) She is in the hospital now...I have not had adequate time to blog this...but she is struggling for breath. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.
I am struggling with patience. I am human. Feeling bad bad bad about my lack of patience...but I want God to "get on with it". THERE. I said it. I have said what I have secretly harbored for days. My frustration has built and with tears in my eyes and throat---I am honest with an almost complete stranger. Maybe I needed your honesty to bring out my honesty. I have always tried to live my life in a way that was pleasing to the Father. I have shared with others, testified of His mercy and goodness, testified of miracles in my own life....and yet I feel impatience...I want my sister to be whole.
I'm sorry---for dumping this---to you---someone who does not know me from Adam.
My sister Aimee and I want to share Wanda's life (which to be 43 is a miracle when they said she'd never see 13---then 18----so on) and what is appearing to be....her last days/weeks on this earth by way of a blog we have been working on.
Yes, we know that she will be with the Father when she leaves us...but it is so hard to pray that prayer of "Your will not mine Lord".
Forgive me for going on and on...thanks for listening though...sometimes it's easier to talk to someone that doesn't know you....Anyway, thanks for the ear (eyes--for reading it)
God bless you abundantly.
Angie
Angie,
What a beautifully honest heart you have! As I read your comment, my eyes filled up and I felt what you were saying down to my toes. Thank you for leaping out there and saying what is in your heart. Their is no risk in vulnerability when you trust God to take care of your heart in the process. Rest assured that as a woman who tends to try to rush God into answers, I completely understand. But more importantly and ironically, He does. He sees you...knows you...you are His beloved, and so is Wanda. And Aimee.
As soon as I finish typing this, I am going into immediate prayer for your sisters and you. Praise the Lord for instant access to His Throne of Grace!
Please keep in touch with me...
Lisa
A P.S. to Angie...
I am convinced after reading your comment that it was no accident that God led me to your blog! It is awesome that He cares for you enough to connect me to you to let you know that He is thinking of you and Wanda right now. I'm praying! What a blessing blogging can be. This is living proof.
Lisa
You go girl!! The real deal....nothin better than that for me. I love it! I can't wait to read the last couple of posts and get caught up. So glad you came over and "visited!"
Blessings~
Fran
Lisa...thank you so much for your words...most importantly for your prayers. I feel them. Yesterday was a toughy. Today, the enemy has tried new tactics. I blogged a bit about Wanda last night. I can say "this" on your blog, but cannot mine...we know that w/o a miracle---time is limited --the Drs. have already told us they have done all they can humanly do. But THAT is exactly where God works at HIS BEST! I KNOW that....my spirit knows...my physical self is the trouble! (*smile*) But--we know that we are complete dependent on Him for Wanda. His will is what we seek. Above all else.
If you want to "see" Wanda I posted just a bit last night. I can't detail much there, but just enough to keep friends/family informed of basics w/o so many phone calls. :)
It helps. I know I felt somebody's prayers last night! When trouble came....the Lord lifted up a standard against it! PTL!
You have been a blessing Lisa...I have no doubts what God can do through prayer.
I LOVED this post! I am so desire realness and depth in myself and my relationships. It is so hard in our world which is so fake and shallow. Thank you for being vunerable--I am challenged!
Hi Lisa,
This is my first time to your blog. Oh, I've just had the BEST time reading many of your posts.
This was was so much fun, I laughed and then I sighed... So much truth.
I'm really excited about your "new baby", it looks really GOOD.
I will be praying for you as you get into the final stages and for a perfect delivery!
You are just precious, inside and out. I'll be back!
So nice to meet you.
Post a Comment