Oh, be careful little eyes what you see.
Oh, be careful little eyes what you see.
For the Father up above looks upon you with His love,
Oh, be careful little eyes what you see.
Where I heard this childhood song to get it stuck in my head, I have no idea. I can assure you, it isn’t a tune on Rock Band. But never mind. It is stuck in there for real, for sure and I’m afraid, for good. I seriously can’t shake it.
So as in anytime something like this pops up “randomly” in my head, and after a solid week of it NOT going away, I have finally started clueing in to the fact that Someone just might be trying to get my attention through this simple song. After a few circumstances, a little less eggnog and a couple of gentle nudges from the Holy Spirit, I think I’ve come up with my answer.
Vigilance.
Let me explain.
Not long ago, I entered into the wonderful world of Facebook. (If you are one of the 2 people in the world who haven’t heard of Facebook, it is an Internet social network that allows you to connect with people anywhere, anytime.) I honestly knew very little about it when I started, and up until my husband decided to join up, I never did much with it. But in the past two or three months, I have enjoyed re-connecting with childhood friends, high school friends, college friends, and my current network of friends by sharing emails and pictures, as well as fun information about my life. For a pastor’s daughter who has lived in over 10 states in my life, a tool like Facebook has been an awesome way to talk to people again that I might never otherwise get the chance to.
I even found my favorite high school history teacher on there. :)
But lately I’ve begun to notice something about this fun tool. I’ve seen it's likes before in blogland…in shopping malls…restaurants…and yes, even in my mirror at home. And I just can't shake the fear that it is carrying with it the potential to get us, as believers, in trouble.
A tool of distraction.
A means of addiction.
A way of escape.
A fulfillment of needs not otherwise getting met.
A huge time waster.
A facilitator of pretense vs. reality.
I have, of late, really seen this. Where meeting old friends and reconnecting with loved ones is a super cool thing, reconnecting with loved ones and meeting new friends to the detriment of a marriage is not. Nor is it a stretch to say that it’s happening. Sadly, it’s happening and happening a lot.
But this blog is actually not about Facebook.
In fact, you might be surprised to know that upon finishing this blog I do not plan on canceling my Facebook membership or cutting my Facebook ties. No, I am staying on Facebook, at least for the time being. But I am also doing something else.
I am remembering the words to that simple little song that is stuck in my mind, like it or not…”Oh, be careful little eyes what you see...” I am also remembering its three subsequent verses (in no particular order)...
Oh, be careful little feet, where you go…
Oh, be careful little lips, what you say…
Oh, be careful little hands, what you do…
Whether on Facebook or at church or in my neighborhood or in my ministry…
I am checking myself constantly. Praying about my actions. Making sure that my life stays pure before God through the relationships I invest in. Being careful of what my eyes see. My ears hear. My lips say. My hands do.
Vigilance.
I simply have to have it to stay out of trouble.
By this Monday morning Not a Facebook Bashing Blog I am hoping to encourage you to do the same. In fact, I'm burdened for us both this year, if we don't.
Be well, friends. Whether we connect on Facebook or on the streets of our "non-cyber world"...let’s be well together.





19 comments:
I hear you cluckin' chickie. Sorry....seems all I have are bird analogies now! :)
Have you head the song by Casting Crowns called "Slow Fade"? You should check it out if you haven't.
I start back to work tomorrow, so my facebook appearances will go down considerably.
Thank you so much for this post Lisa. I have to admit that my Facebook usage far outweighs anything else sometimes and it's wrong, just plain wrong! I have been able to connect with so many people from my home state that it's wonderful, but it is a terrible distraction from God. Thank you again!
I've just finished reading Behind Those Eyes and have loved it. I'm hoping to get a summary post done, but thank you for such a wonderfully insightful and open book. Just brilliant!
Much love, Paula :-)
Lisa,
thank you for this post.
this year I have resolved to do a few things that I felt God calling me to.
SPEND TIME with God before turning on the computer
SCRIPTURE MEMORY
SET ASIDE concentrated time with God each week (at least 2 consecutive hours)
STUDY a book or do a bible study with others(either in blog land or face to face)
Thanks again for the reminder to be vigilant, especially with how I spend my time!
God bless,
Heather
Lisa...
I have had the same thoughts... I am not bashing Facebook either, but it can be really scary if you think about it or let it get to that place...
AND- not that long ago, that SAME SONG over and over would pop into my head.. It was driving me crazy, b/c I was like: Lord, what am I looking at or doing for that song to be constantly following me??? I think it may have been a warning... Thank you for your post!
great stuff, Lisa!
Lisa, I love your post, agreeing whole heartedly. Not bashing Facebook either, as I host my own site and enjoy the easy "keeping in touch" myself, but yes...can be dangerous:
A tool of distraction.
A means of addiction.
A way of escape.
A fulfillment of needs not otherwise getting met.
A huge time waster.
A facilitator of pretense vs. reality.
Lately, when I find myself sitting at my computer, whether on Facebook or even this beloved blog, I have to ask myself if I have invested a God honoring amount of time in the things He has called me to do. How is my husband? How are my children? Are there friends who He has called me to minister to or bless that I am ignoring as I play on this screen?
Vigilant! Yes!
I love the fun that comes along with the internet, but yes, let's be WELL together.
Love your post, thank you.
Hey Lisa,
Yes I completely relate to your post. I enjoy facebook, but it can definately be a distraction from so many things. I know that I can get sucked into cyber space very easily between blogs and Facebooks.
I took time off through most of December from the internet, other than Christmas shopping, and a brief check in here and there. I love my Facebook like you I've connected and reconnected with lots of people. I love my blog I've made tons of new friends, but when it became apparent that I was spending more time with my laptop, than with God, my hubs and daughter, I knew I had to make a change.
Thanks for the reminder.
Carol ;0)
Isn't there a song on Christian radio about being careful little eyes what we see. It's not a childhood tune but I was thinking it had the same words to more of a "hard rock" contemporary Christian song. Not sure if you get K-Love in your parts but that is the station I listen to.
You have giving us a very wise word about what we say, see, hear, go.
I've not hooked up to Facebook for the mere time constraints. Writing and visiting blogs take up too much time as it is.
Love,
Paula
I just now see Leebird's comment. I think the song she mentioned is the one I'm thinking.
Lisa, it's funny that you should write about this because EVERY TIME I log into Facebook, your picture comes up on my sidebar as 'People you may know'...every time!!! Now when I see your face there I'll remember this post and be vigilant about how/where etc...I invest my time.
Blessings,
Joy
i'm baaaaaaaack :)
yes. i love this. all of it.
ps..just saw your wedding picture in your scrolling thing. oh my word. you're beautiful.
Lisa,
Truth! Okay, I'm going to go read my bible now. Thanks for always speaking truth.
Love ya girl
Renee
My son signed me up with an account. I told him up front that I didn't need another distraction, and I can honestly say that when people "poke me", "invite me", or other said nonsense, I plead ignorance and disregard requests. I simply don't have the energy to communicate with so many people. And honestly, I really don't want to know what's going on with my son's facebook page. TMI for a mother who already is prone to her worry.
Thanks for the challenge to be vigilant. And while facebook might not be my "undoing", there are other things that beg too much of my attention and time to the detriment of my family time and time with God.
Hope all is well.
peace`elaine
Amen, amen! Balance is needed in every area of life! Thanks for the challenge to keep watch over the doors of our eyes, feet, lips, hands, etc!
Ah man! i can get totally sucked into twitter! Time waster fer sher!
Great post Lisa. I shut mine down a few weeks ago after only having it for a few weeks. Connections that didn't need to be made were trying to happen and just couldn't do it. Also...too time consuming.
Nothing against FB, just something God wanted ME to do.
love ya,
Lelia
Hi, friend! I second these wise words! I'm on facebook too, and I am very deliberate about the time I spend there. You are right, it's a great tool for sharing with friends and catching up, but my, it can be a time drainer!
I've missed you over these holidays! Still behind as usual. I think of you often and pray for your ministry.
Love you,
Laura
I whole-heartedly agree. Even blogging can become an obsession and a place to 'turn off' the real world.
I have am learning to be careful of my precious time.
Thanks for the reminder.
Hey Sweet Sister! I don't have a Facebook or MySpace account for the simple reason of temptation. You mentioned many of them in your post. I also have a healthy (and I mean healthy, not a big dose) fear of too many people knowing too many things about me and my family.
I think one of the main reasons I had to give up blogging was that it took up too much of my time. I was always trying to think of what to post, then writing the post, and then I got to where I felt as though I needed the "responses" to validate my self worth as a blogger. To me, I was putting it before my God and family. I've heard of many people saying that they won't blog unless they have spent time with God and done what they needed to do with family. That's all good, but that still left me with no time to blog! :) So I gave it up. To me, it was a necessity to put things in order. I hope to one day return to bloggy land, but until then, I'm enjoying what I've got and avoiding the temptation of a time and attention stealer called blogging!
Much love to you! I really enjoyed this post!
Post a Comment