Sunday, February 22, 2009

Stayin' Alive

It's been an interesting day, to say the least.

As I write this I am just moments removed from having watched the movie Nights in Rodanthe, which has nothing at all to do with this blog, except for the fact that I cried my eyes out watching it and look like a complete raccoon right now. It's times like these that I'm so glad you can't see me through this blessed computer screen. It would scare you, sweet friends, believe me.

But the way I look right now is not the only thing that scared me today. Right before heading to bed my 11-year-old son informed me that he had some "questions" and proceeded to hint around that these "questions" could possibly include some stuff from the book of Song of Solomon (if you know what I mean). Like any good mother would, I held back my first instinct to feel prude...smiled...and answered him thoughtfully with the wisest thing I knew to say at that moment..."I'll go get your dad and let you talk to him." What a fabulous delegator I am! :)

So between the movie and my son's rude interruption into my naivety, I am feeling pretty weird right now. Weird...and...kinda spent.

But before I head off to bed, I actually do have a word I hope will be of value to you today. Please forgive me for not posting last week like I said I would. I had some exciting things come to fruition that I plan on sharing with you sometime this week that demanded my attention. Please come back and check in with me. I am working against a writing deadline for Friday, but I hope to have something up about the things God has led me to by Thursday.

But back to the word I hope is of value to you.

With my hubby having the day off from teaching our THRIVING small group at church today, we decided to forgo our regular routine and attend another church in the area where a dear friend from seminary days would be speaking. The service had a great vibe from the very start, one with lots of energy and a palpable sense of the Spirit. My kids were loving the rockin' band, and so were their parents. It was right after the music that the guy with the microphone introduced us to a time of baptism. One by one, folks in full street clothes came up and walked into the hot tub-like baptismal at the foot of the stage, not too many feet in front of the front row attendees. We were more than half-way back, but the scene before us was awesome. I watched as all three of my children were glued to the picture of old becoming new, which wrapped me up like a warm blanket. My 6-year old was especially transfixed. Having recently made a salvation decision, her tender heart was clearly touched.

The guy with the microphone ended the time of baptism by telling the rest of us that if anyone else wanted to be baptized they would welcome it. They were prepared with extra clothing and encouraged the spontaneity, they said, should someone desire to make known their decision to follow Christ. I could see my daughter's wheels turning as she turned to my husband and asked, "Daddy, can I be baptized?" Immediately MY wheels started turning. I started thinking about all the things a conscientious mom in my position would like the fact that we didn't have a camera on us...the grandparents would kill us for not letting them know...how in the world would her hair ever dry in time for church to let out...and on and on. (Did I mention in addition to my delegating skills I am also a really good planner? :)

But as I silently thought of all the things that wouldn't be right about my little Shae being baptized in such a spontaneous way, I could see my husband being led in another direction. Without consulting me, he turned, whispered something in Shae's ear, and the next thing I knew, they were gone.

I could feel my inner protest coming on.

But before I had a chance to panic, God spoke to my heart and said, "Lisa. Stop worrying about the things that don't matter. This is not about those things or your preferences. This is about me. Learn from your little girl. Never stop being spontaneous in your relationship with me."

(Man, He's got a way with words.)

And so I sat, without a camera or a grandparent in sight, waiting for my little girl to be baptized in a church we had never set foot in before today. We didn't know one deacon (I doubt they had one) or even the name of the guy with the microphone. And I have to tell you, it felt phenomenal to be free from my own set of rules.

The way this story ends is probably not the way you think it did. My precious 6 year old, Shae, did not end up getting baptized today. After all the mental stressing, my husband reappeared in a few minutes, this time holding Shae with her head firmly on his shoulder, sniffling. Turns out she has my shy genes and decided she wasn't quite ready to take the plunge. (Breathe, grandparents. I'm sure you'll be there. :)

I look forward to the day she will make that outward testimony of her inward decision. But what I learned today was a rich lesson in obedience. Staying alive in the Spirit. Throwing out my own set of rules and living spontaneously for the Kingdom.

Lord, help me. I never want to stop.

post signature

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words are beautiful, Lisa! Thank you!

Di said...

Lisa girl,
I love you for always being so real and for loving your hubby and children soooo much. You always know how to make me cry ! I love you more than you could ever imagine !!! Your children are precious in the eyes of this proud grandmother :)

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

You were speaking to my "planner" heart today...I love this...I have been praying about my "spontaneity" in so many areas of my life. It is all about HIM and not our silly little details!!

Blessings to your family and can't wait to read about Shae's baptism day when it happens!
Kim

Jill Beran said...

Great words Lysa! Wow, it was just what I needed to hear. Been wrestling a bit with some things I just don't understand and don't line up with my plans at all. And at times it's like they don't line up with God's either, but it is all about trust and letting go...thanks for the reminder, Jill

Natalie Witcher said...

That woulda been hard! So cool that you listened to the Spirit. Still, you could have always re-enacted the baptism later. :)

Carol said...

Lisa,

Thanks for sharing that. I would have been just like you. Wait where's my camera, and all the other details. Glad I'm not the only one. Glad you listened to God's heart, and shared that, I needed to hear that.

Love,
Carol

Amy L Brooke said...

Very beautiful. Shae sounds like she has a sweet heart even if she got the shy genes. Shy genes are okay. (I've got them too.) When she does make that decision, the effort to move beyond the shy genes will make it even more beautiful to behold.

Laura said...

What a big God we have and it seems sometimes the small ones feel Him the most. Rejoicing with you, Lisa. What a beautiful story.

Runner Mom said...

Oh, how sweet! Lisa, thanks for sharing this with us today! I would have felt the same things tugging at my heart! I too need to be more spontaneous!! Let God lead and let me follow without the but's, what if's, and not quite ready's!

I'll email you later with stuff! It's time for your last Bible Study! We are going to miss spending time with you and you mom each Tuesday!!
Love ya,
Susan

Terri Tiffany said...

Great story Lisa! I watched that movie last week too and both my husband and I bawled like babies!

LeeBird3 said...

Oh my goodness....what a precious moment! And the lesson....I think moving to AZ where people are much more laid back has helped me let go of some of the human-generated "guidelines" for appropriate church behavior. I can still remember being a high school student at my home church in LA and having a lady fuss at me for having "britches" on at Wednesday night church. Now...at my church, we have people in all kinds of clothes and all kinds of haircuts (dreds and mohawks). I love it...and honestly, I think God does, too. He wants our heart...period.

Joyful said...

Lisa, this DID happen to me. Our church one morning did the exact same thing. We have two morning services and our family attends the earlier one. When the invitation was given, I noticed our teenage son looking restless...not sure...but didn't want to push a decision. The moment passed. He didn't respond.

My husband and I left after first service, but our son was playing keyboard for both services and had to stay.

As soon as my husband and I got home we began to pray together. We began to pray for all of those whose hearts the Spirit would tug at during second service. We prayed for our son to be sensitive to the Spirits prompting and to have courage to walk forward if that was the Lord's desire, surrendering our desire to see him baptized.

Our son came home with a wet head that day and a smile on his face. We embraced him in our hall and thanked the Lord for all that He had done, even if we hadn't been there to witness this outward declaration of an inward work.

Some people asked us why we didn't stay for the second service, "just in case". We didn't want our presence to place any expectations or pressure on our son. At 15 years of age, it had to be his decision.

God saw his step of obedience and that's all that really matters.

A tough surrender,
Joy