This statement shocks even me, seeing as how I am a girl who likes to know the when, where, how and what of basically everything in my life. I admit, I don’t like surprises. No, not even at Christmas…and yes, I do shake the presents. ☺
But over the past several years, God has shown me much more of Himself by NOT filling me in on all the information. I haven’t always liked it, but He hasn’t seemed to mind. And I can honestly say that my lack of information has resulted in the growth it takes to say in this blog that there are things I now don’t want to know. I say it, and friends, I mean it.
I wasn’t always like this. I had my life planned out pretty early on, as a matter of fact. I was gonna fall madly in love with a doctor, have three or four kids, and live safely in suburbia with my faith tucked neatly under my arm. I would pull it out when I needed it, of course. But mainly I was just glad to have it for myself.
Which is why I know God has His Almighty eye on me. And I’m convinced He smiles at all the ironies of all my well laid-out plans.
Such is in the case of the latest great irony of my life: the launching of a church called Thrive Church Charlotte. The pastor of such a great body of believers is one fortunate guy. He’s a strong leader with massive gifts and the ability to communicate timeless truths from God’s Word in a very real and relatable way. I’m fortunate to get to sit under such a man. It’s just that it puts me in quite a position, since he is my husband.
(The non-doctor, by the way.) ☺
It is a role I never anticipated or if I’m being brutally honest, ever wanted. Don’t get me wrong. It’s a high calling and an honor to be the wife of a pastor of a church. I just didn’t think it was something I would ever be. My qualifications fall very short, I’m afraid. Though I admit, I DO play the piano. ☺
But this new role in my life is yet another example of things in my life I probably shouldn’t know ahead of time. It just wouldn’t have been a good idea, and God knew it. Instead, He prepared me in ways I never saw as preparation and got me to a place of surrender in my life that my heart wouldn’t let me take back no matter what the circumstance. I’ve wanted to, friends. But I just can’t.
And so, here I sit, knowing that what lies ahead of me is much bigger than a safe-seeking suburban mom ever anticipated. You see, I’ve lived in a glass house for most of my life. I’ve seen the highs and lows of ministry life and lived the life where the hardest thing to do some days is to get someone to see you like everyone else. I’ve been the pastor’s daughter. My father has even weathered more than one ministry storm. And to ask a person who has sat through more than one heated church meeting as a relative of the pastor to get back into a role of scrutiny and responsibility is to ask someone to risk some of the deepest hurts a person could ever know. The life of a pastor’s family is rich, indeed. It is beautiful and it is full. But it is also a life that few truly understand.
And therein lies my heart, poured out in this blog.
And yet, there’s more. Because the truth is that to get this stubborn girl to agree to a role this large is to move a mountain, in and of itself. If people only knew about the tears. If they only knew about the clenched fists that had to be opened and then turned up. If people only knew about the insecurities and fears and weariness and sense of responsibility. If people only knew my heart.
They would know. What this is all about.
But if they don’t, it’s ok. Because…He does.
And everything else…they…and I…just don’t need to know.
I made a promise to God when He began to bless my writing that I would never use my gift to hurt anyone or write anything negatively of them. I feel a strong sense of responsibility to only lift the body of believers up, and that, I pray I will always do. I believe in the core of my soul that God will not bless one who uses their gifts to manipulate or harm another, and further, I believe He will take them away from a person who does. God willing, I will never be that person.
And so, this blog is not about those things.
This blog is about finding out things I need to know when God thinks I can handle them. It’s about trusting He knows me better than I know myself, because I’m not all too sure I am the right girl for this job.
It’s about resting in His plan for my life, which now includes moving back into a glass house and continuing on my journey to be real and authentic, no matter who is watching. Praise God He lives in the glass house with me.
This one thing I know…I am sure gonna need Him a lot.





17 comments:
Congrats to you and your husband. What a privilege God has bestowed upon you. I know you will be an excellent pastor's wife. Know that you will be in my prayers. God's blessings be upon you and your husband as you walk in obedience.
Lisa friend....your heart comes through loud and clear here.
Peace be still...God surely knows what He's doing! :)
Is there a doctor in your town with your hubby's name? There is a diet doctor here in AZ who advertises at the movie theaters...Dr. Gary Knighton...same as my pastor....weird.
Lisa, sweet, precious friend, what a road you are traveling. The Lord is taking you to places that you never thought you would travel, but He's prepared this path for you. He's preaparing your heart for the work He has for you.
I know that you're one incredible lady and I'm honored to have you as a friend.
You've been on my heart for the last few days -- and I'm praying for you and will continue to pray for you/
oh friend - if i could only be there to help you all and serve!!! In a heartbeat I wish i could!! Love to you!! miss you!!! on my last week of teaching!! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! i am excited to get back to life!! love, Leigh
Sounds like a shift in your season, again. Years ago, I couldn't have known what I know now. I think that a rather good thing...a gift of a gracious grace that doesn't require a life full of faith and perfection up front. Instead, God grows us in it everyday. The more we bow to his teaching, the more we're pressing in to his truth, the more he reveals, and the more that he trust us with the sacred gift of participation.
I, too, have lived in a "glass house" all of my life. It's not an easy life, but it's been a good one for me, despite all the broken glass along the way.
I am the better person for journey.
Love you Lisa, and am always here for you in anyway. As always,
peace for the journey~elaine
Lisa..what an amazing place the Lord has led you to! I can not imagine a more Spirit filled, Godly, supportive Pastor's wife...than you (o.k...except for maybe your mom?!). You will be in my prayers over the next few months! You maybe can't see it, but those who know you/love you can see you filling this role perfectly (in Him).
Blessings to you,
Christy
Are we ever the right girl for the job God has called us to? No, but He is the right God. He is the right Father and as we read in chapter 1 of Micca's book this week, Lisagirl He is not going to EVERleave you. Never. He is our ever-present One...Ps. 46:1.
You will not be sitting in that pastor's wife seat alone so make room for 2 every Sunday. I got tears in my eyes reading your heart and please know I will be praying for you.
I love you my friend and God will give you everything you need for this next season of your lives, for He knows we just don't have what it takes, but with Him nothing is impossible.
Love from Nebraska,
Lelia
I am really glad that you took those piano lessons!! They will come in handy!
Wow! What an awesome God we have!! Woohoo! What a priviledge to pray for you all as GOd opens doors bit by bit! As long as He is in control, you will be fine! Glass house or not! I am so excited for y'all! Email me whe you get time!!
Hugs,
Susan
So love this blog, Lisa! Congratulations to you and Scott taking on this wonderful endeavor. I would love to talk to you more about it if you have the time, maybe over coffee. Catch up with you soon!
Heather Freeman
Wow!!! You are so BE YOU T FULL!!!!!!! What a LUCKY church to have you. You know, by you living fully in truth, God will bless others through your story. "Sufferers want to be ministered to by people who have suffered. They are suspicious of people who appear to live lives of ease." I read that today in Billy Graham's Decision Magazine and it is so true. God has prepared you indeed. He has not promised a rose garden but he does promise a life of abundance through Him. And by the looks of it, your cup runs over. I am so glad to have found your blog and would love to meet cha' one day.
Will be praying for you Lisa. Know that God will not lead you anywhere He can't keep, so rest safely in His arms knowing He is sovereign.
Blessings and congrats,
Vickie
That is so beautiful Lisa. I'm so thrilled for you. I know that God is all over you and your hubs right now and its going to be exciting to see where he leads you.
I'm glad I found your blog agin. I saved you this time. :)
Thank you Lisa for sharing your heart. I could not have expressed that any better. It felt like you were talking straight to me. I love you Sister and am thinking about you.
Lisa, I've learned over the years of my life that the not knowing is RIGHT where He wants us, so hang on girl!! I'm proud of you guys stepping out in obedience. He wouldn't bless anything less!
Love ya girl and I'm sure gonna miss seeing your face!
Val
Lisa you wear so many hats in your life: wife, mother, teacher, friend, daughter and now "pastor's wife." But please remember and know that no matter how clear that glass will get, no matter how much you might want to hide and pull the shades, you are one thing to me: LISA. Yes, you are Lisa, God's little girl that has inspired me and blessed me in ways I wish I could express.
I look forward with great honor and respect to travel this journey with you to TCC. I am thankful you know that no matter what, you can always be real with me. To me, Lisa, the clearer your glass walls are,the easier it will be for me to fall more in love with Jesus. Thank you.
love you,
Kim
"If people only knew about the tears. If they only knew about the clenched fists that had to be opened and then turned up. If people only knew about the insecurities and fears and weariness and sense of responsibility. If people only knew my heart."
A song has come to mind. A song that has been ministering to my heart so much over the past 4 weeks and the journey I've been on. I pray it will minister to your heart too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pzu-jWpcdw
God knows,
Joy
Do you let men leave comments? Lisa this is Dan Roye and from some one who has known you since you were 6 years old...but not seen you in at least 10 years (or more) it is neat to see the awesome young woman of God that you've become. As a pastors kid myself it rare to find a PK who still has a heart for God and even more rare to find a pastors wife in her 50's who enjoys ministry. We are out to change that at our house, and I believe walking in authenticity is the key. It's not easy but anything less is just a game. I would love to catch up with you. Your dad was a spiritual father to me and was used by God to prepare me for ministry. Please give them my love.
Dan
www.livingstonescommunitychurch.com
danroye@sbcglobal.net
Post a Comment