Friday, April 10, 2009

God of the Both-And

I wanted to write about the launch of THRIVE CHURCH CHARLOTTE today, partly because I know you want to hear about it…partly because I said I would…and partly because it was amazing and needs to be shared about. But it will have to wait until next week. Cause I have a blog sitting on my heart, and something much more important to share today.

I’ll start with my new Bible.

First, you need to know that I love it. It’s in a translation that speaks to my desire for easy understanding, and I can now refer to it without having to pop over to biblegateway.com and look things up. Small inconvenience that is now a non-issue, thanks to a trip to Barnes and Noble and my husband’s desire to hear me stop complaining. :)

I cracked it open today to hear from my Heavenly Father, as my thoughts have been on Him since the sun came through my windows. Interestingly, I find myself in my personal study of the Old Testament, still perched in the book of I Kings. Not exactly where I wanted to be today, but probably the best place for me on this Good Friday.

After reading about all the lunacy and wickedness of the little “k” kings in the first 16 chapters of this book, I admit that I was ready for my civilized Jesus to come in and save me from the madness I found myself immersed in. And He did, though not in the way I expected.

Because in the midst of {king} Elah getting drunk and being too loaded to realize someone was murdering him…{king} Zimri taking out an entire family in the 7 measly days he had the authority to do so…and {king} Omri successfully {and moronically} achieving the title of “more evil than any of the kings before him,” I remembered something.

Just how different my big “K” King is.

My King {the real one, by the way} is royal and regal and doesn’t do self-destructive things. He is pure and pristine and doesn’t blemish Himself by turning His back on holiness. He wears His Kingly wisdom and authority well. In fact, so well, none has or can or will ever match it.

And yet, He is different in another way.

Because though He is every bit a King, He is every bit the God of the real and the raw. He is not out of touch with reality, sitting so far up on a throne that He does not understand the “commoners” below Him. Not at all. In fact, out of all the things there is to love about my King, the thing I love the most about Him is how He gets down to my muddied level and remains every bit of who He is while dealing with who I am not. He is civilized and Kingly, yet He reaches out to me in an untamed and wildly bold way.

For anyone else, this would be a paradox. But not for my King.

He doesn’t contradict Himself by being both. In fact, it is in His “both” that makes Him worthy to be called King of Kings and Lord of Lords. No one else can be equally good at meeting the needs within all of us for an ultimate authority figure with everything under perfect control and yet a down-to-earth Savior who isn’t afraid to get His hands dirty in dealing with our personal messes.

In fact, no one even comes close.

And so, today, I praise God for the reminder of my Lord and my King, Jesus Christ --in whom I love, respect, praise and adore. And I praise God for my very personal Lord and Father, Jesus Christ -- in whom I can let down and just be me, knowing He will not pull out the title that is rightfully His in such a way that I feel like I am not worthy of His friendship, understanding and tender care.

I praise my big “K” King, the God of the royal and the raw. For to me, He is every bit of both.

It is His day today. Everyday is His day.

Glory.

post signature

6 comments:

Runner Mom said...

Praising Our King today and tomorrow! Great thoughts, sweet friend!

We must be on the same page about the Bible and something easier to understand! I have an ongoing list of books that I want to purchase as I save my $$. The NLT Bible is at the top! One of my girls in our Bible Study had it and would read scripure to us that simply made sense!I REALLY wanted this! So, in the meantime, Biblegateway to the rescue! While cleaning this week, I found a children's Bible that I had gotten at a workshop years ago. I looked at the version, and you got it! It's an NLT! Free! Just hidden under other books in our playroom! I compared Isaiah 52-53 in it with the same scripture in the NKJV at lunch! Wow! I understand!!! Our Lord was such a Servant! It makes more sense!

Have a Blessed Easter, Chickadee!!Can't wait to hear about church next week!!
Hugs,
Susan

On Purpose said...

May you and your family have a beautiful and amazing Easter weekend!

Laura said...

Lisa--

I needed a Good Friday meditation and knew I wouldn't be disappointed in stopping over here!

He is everything! I am alive because of HIM!

My heart is always broken on this day, but the events of Good Friday are not the end of the story.

It's Friday, but Sunday is Comin'...

love you, friend! I can't wait to hear about Thrive Church Charlotte! Even though I've been quiet lately, I have been praying for you, my sweet friend.

May your Easter be filled with the joy of HIs resurrection!

Lelia Chealey said...

AMEN!! Praising the King with a big "K"!!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

My beautiful King is the God of the real and the raw---so touches me where I sit this night in Austin. It's been 48 hours since I heard the words: "you have cancer." You minister to deep parts of my soul Lisa and I'll be back again and again to read and ponder and find the beautiful KING Who has invaded our lives.
Worshipping with you in spirit in your new launch. May His Spirit be so present and work a faith of His Power in all who attend tomorrow. I need your prayers girlfriend to make it through this---and only by His Grace I will! I'm so scared and surrendered!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

I just found your site :) It is amazing :) Praying for your endevors

Blessings,
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com