Monday, February 15, 2010

I Don't Know How

I have a confession to make that will probably not come as a big surprise to you. In fact, I think I may have confessed it before.

I often try to sort out my life.

I enjoy knowing the end outcome. I like to have everything categorized, sorted through, and determined. And if I can slap a label on it at the end of the process, my mind tells me I have really scored.

You can imagine, then, my concern when I heard myself praying these words over and over this morning during a conversation with God…

God, I don’t know how.

It didn’t shock me to say it, since I am intimately aware of the circumstances I currently live in my life. I already know that I have many unknowns and challenges and untraveled roads up ahead. Yet somehow, acknowledging that I have basically no control over both the big and small aspects of my life, left me feeling a little less secure than I am generally comfortable with. And it made me think of how many of my friends whose circumstances I am aware of might find the same words coming from their very own lips.

God, I don’t know how you are gonna do this.

God, I don’t know how you are gonna work this thing that matters to me out.

God, I don’t know how this impossible thing over here can really happen.

God, I don’t know how this miracle I believe you can perform will be performed.

This morning, not only am I thinking of my own set of I don’t know hows, but I am thinking of the I don’t know hows of many of my friends and acquaintances. I am thinking of my friend with cancer who probably doesn’t know how God is going to defy the prognosis of educated doctors and medical books and heal his body. I am thinking of my friend who doesn’t know how God is going to restore her marriage with a man who says he doesn’t even love her. I am thinking of my friend who doesn’t know how in the world he is ever going to get over the hurt that has been realized in his life. I am thinking of my friend who doesn't know how her husband will find work in time to keep her large family fed. I am thinking of my friend who doesn’t know how the dream tucked away in her heart that only she and God know about is going to ever really happen.

The truth is, there are so many things none of us know how about.

The problem is, we feel like we have to know to live, function and even, trust.

Yet, the things we think we need (the details, facts and information), we don’t really need. We don’t know…and honestly, we don’t need to know.

What we need is found in the comforting words in the latter part of Psalm 9:10: “Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O Lord, have never abandoned anyone who searches for you.”

Even though there are so many things I don’t know how about, what I do know for sure is that Jesus can be found in the search. For it is in those moments that we find what we really need to press on and move forward…the unfailing love of a Father who knows, cares, and sees. The fact that, as verse 9 tells me, He has never abandoned anyone who searches for Him, lets me know that despite my doubts, fears and honest emotions, I am not disqualified to receive His care and companionship -- during the process of not knowing how and long after I get the answers I think I need.

And so, my prayer changes.

God, I admit that I don’t know how you will sort out the details of my life. I don’t know how you will do the things that seem impossible. But I know that even if I knew, it would not change who You are. So instead, I search for You…the One who can be found in the not knowing, not seeing, and not understanding.

Great thanks
.

post signature

6 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I don't know how either, but I know the One who does know how, and for today...

that is enough.

Tomorrow might be a different story, but I'll deal with that then.

Blessings and peace and God's incomparable strength working in you this week to accomplish his purposes!

~elaine

Monica said...

Lisa;

Thank you for this message! I feel this compelling sense of urgency to start my business/women's ministry and I don't know how all the details, especially the money part is going to be taken care of. Thank you for reminding me and confirming that no matter what step I take, God will be there with me.

Great message!

Monica

Deb said...

Lisa,

I could so relate to this! During times of stress when I just don't know how God is going to come through for me, I remind myself (when I think to) that we walk by faith, not by sight.

Of course we can't have the same perspective on things as the One who is from everlasting to everlasting.

Thanks for sharing this struggle; it's one most of us know all too well.

Deb
http://sweetcomfort2day.blogspot.com/

Lelia Chealey said...

The realness about you is so Christ like Lisa. I love it.
loved what you wrote here: Jesus can be found in the search.

Jesus can be found in the search.

Beautiful truth.
Thank you for this post.
love you,
Lelia

Kimberly said...

Why is sorting out your life a confession? Is there something dark and sinister in doing so? What is so wrong with knowing the outcome? Details are often important.

Lisa said...

Kimberly,
I'm all about figuring things out about myself and sorting out things to help me be better and live for more than just me. It's taken me awhile to get to the point where I'm able to see myself for who I believe I was created to be but also know where I fall short and mess up. It used to be really hard for me to admit flaws and not feel really bad about myself in the process.

Details and information are hugely important, I agree. I think what I am saying here is that for me, I am a control freak and like to know exactly what God is doing in my life all the time. But part of faith is trusting Him to work out things I shouldn't be trying to control, anyway. Yes, I have a brain and need to use it (try to, anyway :), but I also believe as part of my faith that ultimately, God works things out as He will on my behalf. Doesn't excuse me from doing my best, but it does take me away from thinking I always know what is good for me. Hope I am making sense of what I'm trying to say.

Feel free to email me at lwhittle@juno.com if you have more you want to talk about.

Lisa