I’ve been asked to weigh in on this subject, and I do so with a deep understanding that not everyone will love my response. Good thing I have busted out of my own churchy bubble just in time not to care.
Which brings me to what I believe the issue is at hand: the bubble many believers live in.
It’s what causes us not to see how we are coming across to others…and maybe not even worry about it. Of course, we would say that we do, because churchy people don’t admit to things like that. But actions always tell the true story.
I’m not here to debate what specific beefs Anne Rice has with the church. What I am here to do is to weigh in on my thoughts about her “ditching Christianity” as a whole.
Ironically, this is something I tackle in my new book with George Barna, out next year. In it, I ask women to do something many of them have ever considered: to separate their religion and tradition from Jesus, Himself. My theory (which has been proven true, many times over) is that if you don’t, when the church lets you down (and they will), you will begin to ask questions about God that you don’t need to. If He has been equated with all of your rituals and practices and you associate Him with the pastor who preaches love but practices something else, you will eventually want to ditch the whole gamut. In other words, God loses out because people don’t represent Him well. It happens all the time. Got scores of emails of personal stories in my inbox right now to prove it.
In addition to these testimonials, I’m a recovering church-aholic, myself…so I get it. I’ve seen it. Been on both sides. Lived in the bubble and watched it burst around me. Survived it and love Jesus more than I ever have. But that doesn’t mean I love the way believers hurt each other.
I don’t love the way we get angry when someone tells us the truth about who we often are. Or the way we respond to people when they don’t think like us. Or the way we tag people unfairly when they step a little too close to things we cling to like spiritual security blankets.
I find Jesus in none of that.
I’m no Anne Rice: a woman who probably lived many years without the tradition I was born into. I’m a former churchy girl who grew up in a very churchy world and in many ways, haven’t left. But do I want to be associated with those who speak His name but don’t bear His fruit? Absolutely no way.
I want to associate with the Jesus who loved, gave away, inspired, influenced, healed, and drew people in by His character. I want to associate with the Jesus who was who He said He was, all the time – not just from the stage or on camera. I can’t be Him. But I want to be like Him. It’s quite a lofty goal, but I’m working on it.
And for those of my churchy friends who will want me to address His righteousness and holiness and the mandate to live by Scripture, on that we can agree. I wouldn’t forget about those things and feel compelled to want to achieve them, as well.
I’m just glad that I can do that outside of my churchy bubble.
Really glad.





8 comments:
Alrighty then. You go girl.
I learned years ago when Pastors started telling me that "no one in my church has had an abortion" that one of two things were going on in the church..either Pastors were living under rocks or somebody was lying. Turns out to often be both.
The image games that we play in church and as "Christians" destroy our real walk as light in the darkness as well as our ability to truly lay down our lives for His sake verses our own comfort.
Stay the course young friend.
Lisa...I just have to clarify my thoughts on one point,
Although I agree with YOUR post and agree that we have a whole lot of masks being worn in the church...I am just not so sure about the Anne Rice stuff.
I believe that in spite of our faults and the fact that Fallen and Forgiven humans run the show, the CHURCH is The Bride of Christ non the less, and not to be taken lightly in God's eyes.
Just didn't want my words to be misunderstood. That is what gets us into these messes :)
xoxo,
You are so correct. A lot of times our faith is mingled with how effective the pastor is or our relationship with the congregation. All of these things can change and fail us, but our belief in God should not be based on these things. God does not change.
Pat,
I hear you and appreciate your thoughts. I am not here to endorse Anne Rice or necessarily agree with all her assessments, and I'm thankful you hear the intent of my heart with this post. I, too, love the church and believe in its ordination. I guess that's why I spend so much time exhorting us to get it together. It's the mission of my heart.
Love you and love your wisdom and clarity. You influence for Jesus, and you do it well and responsibly. We need a trillion more like you.
Lisa :)
Oh, Lisa -- I've been in that bubble too. Everything was all good as long as the bubble held, but when it burst... oh my word, the fallout is horrific. And I speak from experience.
I'm living outside the bubble and for this former people pleaser, it was a big transition!! But God is good and He is walking with me as I learn to live outside the bubble.
Thanks for being you and making me think.
Thank you so much for your honesty. This is a very awesome comment full of truth and wisdom. I have been deeply hurt in the church. The pain was so deep, I did not think that I would recover from it. For a long time both I and my husband went to church but we refuse to do anything in the church because we were hurting. I thought that I would loose my mind behind some of the pain that we had to endure but we are now on the mend and back working in the church and reconnecting back at the same ministry in which we received our pain. I is still difficult at times but we have had to learn to trust the Lord with our hearts. I have a question that I would love to get some feeback from you about. I love your openess and your honesty. How do you view believers that have mental illness such as PTSD or depression due to incest or sexual abuse. I think that there are so many women today in the church that are concerned about being viewed as being weak that they will not get the help that they so desperately need.
Lisa, As someone who has lived a 'churchy' life, I can relate to both sides of the issues. I agree with your post and love your willingness to weigh in on the subject.
There are so many parts of my Christian walk that I wish I could just wipe away because I 'played' the game of church. It wasn't until I was nearly destroyed by 'church' people that I began to understand the truth of my relationship with Jesus.
I believe in "His righteousness and holiness and the mandate to live by Scripture" but I also believe there is a way to live like Christ without the legalism and ritualistic traditions.
Church IS an important 'part' of the believers life yet living like Christ and knowing Him personally is the only way we will ever reach people for Him.
-OR-
May I should have just said:
Love This Post:)
I am shedding two kinds of tears. One, for the way I treated people when I was in the bubble...and two for the way I felt when my bubble burst and left me asking all of those questions that you mentioned in your post. All that led me to one place: was this faith really worth it? A question I never thought this church girl would never ask. But, I did. And I realized that my woundedness almost chased me away from the One who could save my life.
So, once again, my heart is laid bare before my Jesus asking His forgiveness for turning church into something that He never created it to be.
Thanks for making me take a long look in the mirror.
Post a Comment