Monday, January 21, 2008

On a Wing and A...Fear? (Fear -- Part 2)

I had this really great thing I was going to blog about today, in the second installment on the “get real” topic of fear. I had the challenge questions all laid out, and the practical “how-tos” in order. It was mostly done, tied up in a neatly written package. The funny thing is, though I wanted to post it, I just couldn’t shake the feeling that it was not what I was supposed to write about. I tried to tweak it. I started it, edited it, then came back to it, certain that it was just temporary writer’s block that kept me from finishing it. I wanted it to be the right post, but it just went nowhere. So I slept on it. I woke up without the usual passion I have for writing my next blog. Sitting in front of my computer this morning, I finally surrendered to the fact that it was NOT the message I was supposed to post today. So I went back to the drawing board. That’s where I currently reside.

Forgive me for winging it.

So many things have been running through my head this week, reading all of the comments from my last post and reading through your emails. You have touched my heart, and your words have resonated with me on many levels. (I want so badly to jump through the computer screen and sit down and have coffee with every one of you to hear more about your passions and find out about your world!) One of the things I hear you saying over and over again is about how you have, either currently, or in the past, been listening to the little whispers in your ear about how you might not measure up…don’t have enough to offer…or aren’t good enough to write or share about anything.

I am so familiar with these “whispers,” that I can understand where you are coming from.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, my father has been in ministry for 40+ years, and he was a pastor for many of those. I grew up a preacher’s kid, and I did the things most preachers’ kids do to function in their “designated” role. I answered all the appropriate questions when asked. I rattled off Scripture on command. I smiled sweetly at the WMU ladies (Baptist girls, you will know what this stands for!) and was showered with both love and attention. I was a professional PK, and I played the role well. (And yes, I even kissed a few deacons’ boys behind the church, too! But that’s beside the point. :))

I loved being a PK and the way it made me feel.

So when at 10 years old, my father resigned his pastoral position to go and do a ministry on his own, I didn’t like it. We wound up moving to another state and attended a large church where I was suddenly completely anonymous. Sure, a few people knew what my dad did and where he had come from, but I was no longer the pastor’s daughter and was no longer showered with the same attention as one. This caused my little 10-year-old self more than a little pain and agony, as my identity of being a pastor’s daughter had been stripped away from me. And as a result, I was left without a job.

Though I was much too young to know it, what I was really dealing with was a self-esteem issue. For years, my self worth had been wrapped up in my father’s position in the church, not in me as a person. Even at that young age, I responded to the attention his position got me, to the point where it made me feel like a nobody when that position was no longer there.

I faced a similar crisis of identity a few years ago when my husband lost his job and was out of work for nearly 18 months. At some point in the process, I realized that my previous role of wife of a successful entrepreneur in a non-profit ministry had changed. I was now the wife of a very frustrated, unemployed man. Of course, he had to deal with changing roles of his own, as he went from a man with a Master’s degree and a great job and provider of his family to a man with a Master’s degree with no job, facing rejection upon rejection from the job market, praying to be able to provide for his family. In the middle of such a crises, I learned very quickly that what my husband did had very little to with who he actually was. He hadn’t changed, though this circumstance and title had. It took me back to those PK days…and remembering the importance of separating what we “do” from who we “are.”

What we do…is about a job. A life circumstance or title. A role we play. An action or activity.

Who we are is quite different.

Who we are…is our created self. Who we are meant to be. Our relationship to the awesome God of the Universe. A passion that perfectly ties in to our spiritual giftedness.

With all of this writing and “platform” talk fresh on my mind, I am reminded that there really is a bigger picture in all of this. There is a fine line between wanting to realize a dream, live out a passion, or fulfill a call…and desiring to fill a hole in our self-esteems by craving an endorsement of some kind through what we “do.”

This is dangerous on so many levels.

If we get wrapped up in “what we do” rather than “who we are,” then when the thing “we do” goes away or fails, we left with quite an identity crisis on our hands. No book contract = not good enough. Kids go astray = bad parent. Husband gets involved with another woman = don’t measure up. Friendship breaks up = failed as a friend.

If our motive (however slight it might be) for writing or teaching or speaking is to build our self-esteem or find significance in a status or task, (or to become the next Beth Moore) then what happens when/if that falls through or never even materializes at all? What happens when a platform goes defunct or our worldly popularity fades or we aren’t able to sell enough books to meet a quota? What happens if we are overlooked by a publisher or have to relinquish another role we love or are rejected on some other level in life?

I am not pointing the finger, girls, except at me. And this is not just about book writing, by the way.

In a strange way this ties into our fears. It’s a paradox, of sorts. It’s like we fear being used by God on His terms, yet we fear NOT being used by God equally as much, if not more.

In my life, my fears of speaking have at times caused me to live in a place of mediocrity. Those who know me well know that my first love is writing, and my preference is to stay in my fuzzy slippers and write my soul out late at night while the house sleeps. But while God cares about my “preferences,” He is not at all influenced by them. (Good thing for me since He is so much smarter than I am!) He has a plan for me, and my responsibility is to embrace those plans, no matter if they are currently preferred by me. This is the same for you, whatever your circumstance is. It’s that obedience word, ladies.

Some of my preferences come from how I’m hard wired. But some of them come from my fears and those nagging whispers in my ear.

…you know you don’t like to speak.
…you know you aren’t a Priscilla or a Beth.
…you know if you get up and speak everyone will know you are a fraud.
…you know they expect you to know all there is to know about the Bible since you went to seminary.
…you are better off staying at home where you love to be.
…your kids will not be well taken care of if you go speak somewhere.
…you will be embarrassed and humiliated if you speak. Let someone else do it.
…you know they wouldn’t listen to you if they knew you weren’t perfect.


He’s a slippery one, that Satan. You’d think by now, I would be able to hear his hiss in the “whispers.” But even after all this time, I sometimes still fall for the lies and manipulations.

It reminds me so much of a conversation I had just last night with my 5-year old daughter. Making her way into my office, she sought me out for comfort after having an interaction with my 7-year old son. Our conversation is so applicable here, I just don’t see it as coincidental, and I need to share it…

Shae: Micah says that if I accidentally press “new game” on his Gameboy and not “load game,” he’s going to destroy me.

Me: (laughing) Oh, sweetie. That’s silly. How will he destroy you?

Shae: (cute) Because he’s strong and I’m puny.

Me: He’s bluffing, Shae. He can’t destroy you, and he knows it. He just wants you to think he can so you won’t play his Gameboy anymore. Tell him I said to stop saying mean things that make you scared.

Oh, wow. Speaking of fear tactics. This might as well be a conversation between me and God about Satan’s empty threats against me. Though I know he is bluffing, he still has his moments when he gets to me. And I still sometimes believe that what he is saying about my worth as a person needs to be wrapped up in what I am doing.

In life…in books…in general.

What about you?

I don’t know who this message is for. Maybe it’s just for me. But whoever it’s for, God has prompted it and sent this self-professed planner into wing-it mode. It’s not a position I like. But then again, when does giving up control feel good?

Fly today, friends. Far away from your fears and from “doing.” Concentrate on “being.”

Lisa

14 comments:

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

Oh yes, sister - resonates with me. I think this is the path God has had me on for this past year. I call it "taking away all the props". Taking away all that I know to be secure and "the helps" in my life. Now that those are gone He is able to be my stronghold, my foundation, my waymaker, etc. I can do things to His glory because it was not anything of my own. He is teaching me who I am if all is gone and I am left at home. It has been tough, but good too!! He is so good!! thank you for the words!! Love, Leigh

Cyndi said...

There is definitely a message there for me. I know I need to read the post again and probably a third time. Just this weekend I was telling my husband again, I don't know who I am. So wrapped up in beomg a mom to three wonderful children, supporting my husband and allowing him to be the head of our family, when I have my own ideas of how things should be done, which I do express, but allowing him to be the head. I don't know who I am. I don't know what it is that God wants me to be/do. As I listened to one of our pastors just recently remind us that we all have spiritual gifts, I sat there and wondered what mine is. And fear, oh yeah, I'm scared to death to let go and let God show me/remind me again what that gift is. I want to honor God, He has blessed me in so many ways, but I'm scared. Thanks for your most recent posts! Cyndi

Anonymous said...

I too need to read this again and then maybe a 3rd or 4th time!! "Concentrate on being, not doing"...that's a tough one!!! Don't you think that was probably the difference between Martha and Mary?? Jesus probably wanted to say, "Martha, stop doing, just BE WHO I want you to be." Lisa...I needed to hear this today!!!!
Thanks!
Christy

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

All I can say is...Amen. I hear your heart, your counsel. You know the word that sustains the weary.

Lisa B @ simply His said...

Wow! I think you wrote this post for me -- I hear those same nagging whispers! Thank you for your openness and letting God write through you today.

Laura said...

My Dear, for just "winging it" you've done a pretty awesome job! I'm so glad that you listened to God and gave Him the keyboard to write what was on your heart! You are so so precious and your sincerity comes through so clearly in your words! Thank you so much for sharing these bits of your story, you have no idea what they mean to me! Thank you, also, for your sweet words of encouragement on my blog! I am so glad to have found a new bloggy friend to add to my favorites! You have blessed me today, Dear One!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

I Kings 19:11 - "Go and stand in the presence of the Lord for the Lord is about to pass by." Lisa, I am going to attempt to respond to what I discern as my beautiful God "passing by me" through your ad-lib post. I Kings 19:12 talks of a "gentle whisper" that just blew right into my left ear as I read your tender tumbling thoughts. And I pulled my hooded sweatshirt over my face and stand in my room before my good God. So touched! Majestic whispers to this self-obsessed girl that He loves so fully. What more do I want than His Love? As you say, in your platform paragraph, may we all be lifted up to His story, a bigger story than my life curved in on my needs. My motives have been to validate me --- someone, anyone ---for I have spent most of my life feeling so "worthless"--- and that's what I've wanted more than the Love of my beautiful Christ---waiting arms, a waiting reception, a waiting glance. A fearful dependent life on people's responses to me rather than a bold love-driven life of advancing His kingdom. His perfect Love casts out that fear. You know the F.B. quote "Most of us escape so much by being less than fully alive." You, my dear friend, make me feel alive in your presence, even on a bumbling blog. So many are caught up in purity, in principles, in performance---Lisa, this isn't about DEDICATION but it's about living in the DESERT Isa 41:17,18 where He is turning my desert into water. For in my right hand, I have been holding a lie-- Isaiah 44:20. I've cared more about how I feel than how He feels about me and how HE hems, hedges, holds, hovers over me this moment. He is emptying space in my heart, as an author has said, and I am finding His Strength these days and it just happened again as I read your post tonight ---His Strength rising up in me, making me want to offer a taste of God to my world, to my husband tonight who has so "missed" me today as I've been sick and he hasn't called me---so what will I do with that? I want to offer Him a taste of God not insult. I want to offer him my words, not being a submissive doormat either. I am finding a rest that people can't destroy or even dent. I just really loved what you have had to say and hope you don't mind the length of this. I posted on Thursday about a book I am reading that talks of 3 deceptions to realizing our real identification as the "beloved"---Nouwen says "it's what we do, what we have, and what others say about us"---all from the Deceiver. So, thank you deeply, my friend---know that tonight somewhere in Texas sits a "sick" (just been to the doctor)self-obsessed soul who has just heard a whisper from my beautiful LORD because you "winged" it.

Amy L Brooke said...

Oh, have you been listening to the thoughts in my head and the prayers in my heart?

I so relate on so many levels. I oculd probably wrtie all night, but I have to get up at 5! Sigh.

I use to be in ministry and then got my MA in counseling. I social service for a bit and then last year decided to leap off a cliff and open a private practice. It hasn't gone well. I now support myself by doing data entry. Go figure. Majorly people oriented doing data entry? Lets talk identity crisis. But I'm sure there is something I need to learn. Please tell me there is!

Add to that old insecurities . . . .

Thanks for sharing so openly.

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

PS - I promise not to ever leave "I got carried away" long comments again :)...so I am practicing with this comment...your words are like God giving me water in my desert - Isaiah 43:20. Thank you!

awcamp said...

Lisa, thank you for your courage in leaping off the cliff of safety. It's a leap we must make daily. To be still and listen, be still and know...(you know the rest). Thank you for inspiring us.

Lisa said...

Bev,
Please don't worry about the length of your comment! I love hearing from you and don't ever wish your comment was shorter. :)

Lisa

Lelia Chealey said...

Lisa~
Girl, you have pierced right into my heart with this one! I'm so thankful you were obedient to listen to God tell you what to post and not go with your own agenda. For YEARS I believed the whispers of the enemy that I was a slut, no good. I can remember sitting next to women thinking, If they only knew...so I wouldn't let anyone "know" me. Oh man did those beliefs about myself lead into a life of deep regret...all the stuff that Satan thrives on. Stuff that should've destroyed my marriage, my life, myself, but then I got into the Word and started listening to what God thinks about me. I began to realize that what I was doing in my life wasn't who I was. I am a child of God, a princess & yet I was choosing a life of shame & filth. Reminds me of how Princess Jasmine decided to live outside of the palace walls as a street rat. :) That was me, but once I got into the Word of God though, it changed me. I re-dedicated my life to my Saviour and allowed Him to change the way I thought about life and myself. He changed my mind about who I saw in the mirror. On my computer is taped an e-mail from my God-fearing uncle in Alabama that says..."If you could see yourself through God's eyes you would see how truly beautiful you are. Also, you would look all around and say, where did my past go? If you really put Jesus in control He will take all the "ugly" of your past and forge it into a shining weapon to be used on His behalf. You are awesome! Love ya! Uncle Chris."
Thanks Lisa for this reminder to rely completely on the Lord especially when that greasy enemy tries to slide his way into my thought life.
Love ya! Don't know ya, but love ya sista! :)
Lelia

Lisa said...

Lelia,
Thanks for your transparency in this comment. What Satan meant for destruction in your life, God turned into something beautiful -- you! I love the example of Princess Jasmine. I think we all have a little "street rat" in us if we get down to it. :)

And...I know know you either, but I love you back! It's that sisterhood thing, girl. :)

Lisa

Jodie Wolfe said...

I had tears in my eyes as I read this post. This has been a struggle for me the past couple days. I wrote about it on my blog on Monday, in case you are interested in stopping by. Thank you for your openness and candor.