I've been diving into my heart the past 24 hours, searching my soul for what really matters to me. Ever since hearing that a childhood friend of my husband's has lung cancer that has progressed to places in his brain, the frivolous things aren't really on my mind.
He's just 36...my age.
He's never been a smoker.
He has a family...a beautiful wife and a precious 6 year old son.
He celebrated Easter like so many of us, probably thinking about where to hide the eggs so his son could find them and how much he enjoys going to church with his family and the banana pudding he would eat for dessert after lunch. In the midst of his celebrations, I doubt he ever thought that just days later he would hear the words no one ever wants to hear..."You have cancer."
Kinda puts my life into perspective real quick.
My daughter's cute hat that she lost today somewhere between running errands to Best Buy and Target just doesn't seem like a big deal to me right now.
Being frustrated over the piles of laundry that sit, waiting for me, in the laundry baskets seem like a bit of a waste of time.
Even the good stuff...the pedicure I had today and the new pajamas I got to wear on a quick trip with my husband to the beach...make me feel silly and trite.
We're talking about life here. And what really matters.
At the end of the day, the blessings of this life are our family, friends and people who love us. It is the impact we make for God. What we do to make a difference in eternity.
We'll never remember our last purchase or even, care about it. We won't wish we'd gone to the mall more. We won't want another minute in front of the TV.
At the end of the day, we don't know which day will be our last. So today...everyday...needs to be treated with care and commitment to something bigger than ourselves. Things that really, truly matter.
And that's what's on my mind tonight.
Kris Lawing matters. Please pray for him, my husband's old and dear friend, and his family. If you would, take a minute to visit a website in his honor at www.krislawing.com and watch the video so you can visualize who you are praying for. I think you'll be touched.
Thank you, friends.
Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





12 comments:
This post brought tears to my eyes and a sadness to my heart. I will pray for your dear friend right now.
Praying....not much else to say.
Love ya.
V
Makes me want to go cuddle with my kids.
I will keep Kris and his family in my prayers. Their video was very touching.
It's funny how a crisis makes us pause to reflect on what is really important in our lives. I'm praying for Kris and his family. Thank you for sharing their story.
I will be praying for you, your husband and friend. Life is so precious but it often takes events like these to make us realize that.
I just posted about helping people with grief --http://amylbrooke.blogspot.com/2008/04/acquainted-with-sorrow.html
I dated a guy for several months and we had talked about marriage and all that. He had an aortic aneurysm at 41 and died April 23 of last year. So, I am approaching the 1 year mark. He has been very much on my mind.
I will pray.
Without watching the video I'm touched
I'll be praying!
Oh man. I will join you in praying for Kris & his family Lisa. Tough to watch.
My daughter just had her baby last week...I'll definitely be squeezing her a little tighter when I get home.
Great post...huge reality check.
Love ya,
Lelia
Hey Lisa, it's Bev. I so enjoyed catching up on your blog. Your book jacket is AWESOME. So trendy. So captivating to the eye. I loved it! I've been out for a few weeks. I was really sick with kidney failure from too much ibuprofen. Missed you. Tried to email to let you know but was too weak. My husband and I both have been out of work for two months and that has been very difficult as things pile in. And our beautiful God has so showed up in midst of circumstances like Hannah where there is no change in circumstances but we are sad "no more" for He is bringing us to such a better place with HIM. Not easy though. I am so sorry for this news about Kris and went to his guestbook after sobbing over the video! What courage! What hope that his mighty God is showing up for Kris. His Power. His Presence. I was so touched by his words and waiting...and with you expect Hosea 12:6---expect God to do much in him and his family as we waits expectantly for his God to come!
Oh, friends...thank you, thank you. So many of you have gone to Kris's website and signed their guestbook, and I appreciate your prayers and support so much.
I love the body of Christ and the power of agreed prayer! I love YOU!
Lisa :)
hey sweet girl
sorry i'm so in and out these days...
i miss reading about your heart...
i'm finally starting to get back into internet world...computer issues have left me not wanting to put forth the effort to blog elsewhere...but when your mouse doesn't work, it's annoying to try to "tab" your way through blogland...but fixed now. and hopefully here to stay :)
still promising you an email..i'm shooting for tomorrow afternoon...been working on some things...i'm sure i'll have loads of questions coming your way soon :) (there's your warning! haha)
ok enough with the comment...
you're beautiful.
abby
Post a Comment