Today I watched a Nichole Nordeman song come to life.
My husband, Scotty, and I had the privilege of getting together with Kris Lawing and his wife, Renee, at a Chick-Fil-A this morning. If you read this blog entry, you know that Kris is a childhood friend of my husbands who has recently been diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer. Kris is just 36 years old, and he has a beautiful wife and 6-year old son.
Sitting at a table in the middle of a busy Chick-Fil-A, we laughed, shared a few tears, and spoke an agreed prayer for healing on Kris’s behalf. It was a sweet time spent among friends…old (in my husband’s case) and new (in my case). Our hearts were knit together by the Spirit living inside of all of us…and it was beautiful. Listening to Kris share his heart and journey with us was a true spiritual experience. I felt so honored to hear from him, almost guilty that I had the privilege of being in the presence of someone who has such direct contact with God in these difficult days of his journey. But it was truly a joy to sit with someone I am taking daily to the Throne in prayer.
Kris feels our prayers -- mine, yours, and all the prayers being raised up from Charlotte… to California…to Canada…to Poland! (Please continue to lift up Kris and his family and visit his website and minister to him by your comments on his guestbook. He is reading all of them and being so blessed in the process! And...please continue to spread the word about Kris and his story.)
In talking with Kris, one of the things that struck me was the sense of peace he has about his life and future. He shared many specific things with us, among them, something that happened when he was faced with the news about the cancer that has cruelly invaded parts of his brain. I hope he won’t mind that I share it with you…but it is just too awesome to keep to myself.
He said that when the results came back from the brain scan showing cancer, it was as if Satan began immediately whispering to him in his ear, “This is a death sentence. You won’t get to see those you love grow up or get older…you are done.” He began to become gripped by the fear the evil one was using to eat his lunch. He started to doubt and worry. And he proceeded to get caught up in the terror of the moment. But just as quick as the evil one's lies invaded his thoughts, he heard the strong voice of God saying lovingly to his heart, “You are on my timetable, Kris. I’ve got you, and I knew about this cancer a long, long time ago. Don’t believe what he is saying. Trust me.” Kris said the battle between good and evil went on for about 1 ½ hours, until finally, victory was had within his heart and mind. He said that in that moment, an inexplicable peace came over him, and he knew it was going to be ok.
God, the victorious One, won the battle for Kris’s mind…as He did the battle for Kris’s soul…and we believe when it’s all said and done, the battle for Kris’s life. We are praying with Kris for total and complete healing. As Renee so eloquently said today, “The bigger the problem, the bigger the miracle.” Now that’s some truth, friends. And it is, indeed, our prayer. It’s the prayer of Ephesians 3:20…“God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams!” (the Message) Our prayer is the prayer of the FAR MORE!
I left today after meeting with Kris unexpectedly inspired, motivated, and encouraged. I felt like I had been in the presence of a true miracle, regardless of what happens on Kris’s journey. Kris is not unrealistic about the challenges that lie ahead for him, but he is also very optimistic that His powerful God…the great I AM of many miracles…is more than able to perform a miracle in his life. In fact, he is counting on it!
As we left our friends and pulled away from the Chick-Fil-A parking lot, I unconsciously started singing along to the Nichole Nordeman song playing on the radio, filling the car…
“So long status quo
I think I just let go
You make me want to be brave.”
My sentiments, exactly.
Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





10 comments:
What a bittersweet story, my friend. Kris has my prayers, as does his precious family. What a blessing you and your husband are to him. I am so glad you shared his story. We all need reminded that we are on God's timetable, don't we?
Laura
Lisa, Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us. It is such an encouragement to us all to see how many people Kris' story is touching. It is also encouraging to see the peace that Kris and Renee have in the mist of such a troubled time. They are truly loved by many. It is so amazing to see how God is working through this bad situation to bring glory to his name, and encouragement to their families, and friends.
Thank you deeply,
Kim White (Renee's sister)
Hey Kim!
It is great to hear from you. I am honored to share their story, and I hope to use whatever circle of influence I have to get people praying for Kris! I am so glad when anything I write means something to someone or touches them in some way. That is especially true of all of you who love Kris and are on the journey with him!
Rich blessings to you and tons of prayers for your whole family!
Lisa :)
Man, my hubs is 35. i can't imagine what they are going through. I'm soooo glad God is one who speaks!
hey friend - thanks for sharing that with us. what an incredible privilege the Lord allowed for you today!! I am adding Kris to my prayer board!! thank you for your faithfuness to the saints!! love, Leigh
do you have any update on Lee Chewning's wife?
Thanks for sharing! It is inspiring to watch the faith of others. I'll be praying for sure!
Wow girl! Amazing. Daily petitioning on Kris' (and your) behalf sweet sister!!
Love ya.
V
Praise the Lord!! Oh how I needed this word today!
Praying for Kris and his family! God is Bigger!
I'll continue to pray. Thanks for sharing so much....
Beautiful! What a great reminder to keep focused on our King & not what is right in front of us. Aware of his reality, but focused on the God who is bigger than the cancer.
Praising Him with you no matter what God allows Kris to endure because whatever happens to Kris, SOME ONE'S life will be changed for the better just by watching Kris and accepting the same Savior Kris calls upon into their own life. That alone has to be worth this tough journey God is leading him on. Phil. 1:12(NIV)...
Beautiful post Lisa. Very heartfelt.
Post a Comment