Monday, May 5, 2008

Devotional Series -- Week 2: The Game of Life

In this second week of devotionals, I am posting a piece I wrote back in 2003. It was the first thing I ever had published, in HomeLife Magazine. Though not written in a “devotional” format, I pray that it will speak to someone’s heart. It was written in the midst of my husband’s extended job loss, a difficult life event for our family.

The Game of Life

Growing up, my brother and I loved to play board games together. Occasionally, one of us would draw a card or land on a space that instructed us to, “Go back to the start.” The one who escaped such a fate would gloat while the recipient would moan over the thought of having to backtrack and start again.

Fast forward 23 years. I experienced those same feelings of frustration and discouragement when my husband lost his job. I felt I’d drawn the “Go back to the start” card in my life, much to my dismay. Starting over was not my first choice, especially with three preschoolers in tow. And this time the game of life was much more real: real players, real struggles, and even, real money. Our journey led us down a path of fear, doubt and loneliness that I had never before known.

Over the years I had dealt with all of these feelings at one time or another. But never before were they attached to such a major issue in my life. For a self-professed type-A personality, sitting helplessly on the sidelines was difficult. Common Christian phrases such as “Let go and let God” came to mind. Perfect for slogans on posters, they were harder to put into practice. For months I watched as we maneuvered down a road filled with dead-end leads and broken promises.

Everything in our world was changing. Our outlook certainly had. My usually gregarious husband suddenly gravitated toward people who knew his situation. Squelching his outgoing personality helped him dodge new people who would ask, “So, what do you do for a living?” Friends became distant. Loved ones didn’t know what to say. Defenses were up, and spirits were down.

Trying to be a loving wife, caring mother and devoted follower of Christ became difficult. Even dropping my children off at preschool took on new meaning as I watched seemingly carefree parents come and go while I was dealing with my private pain. I looked just like they did on the outside, but I was sure I was different on the inside.

And then I met Christine. Perfect hair, perfect child, perfect Volvo. Only, her life wasn’t perfect. Her husband was also out of work, even with an Ivy League degree. And I learned right then and there that everyone has a story beneath what we see on the surface.

Days and months went by. Friends searched alongside us for the meaning in it all. Observers asked, “What’s God tyring to teach you through all this?” It was as if they assumed God caused our situation in order to reveal deep truths to us that we didn’t already know. Yet, instead, I kept coming back to the childhood lessons taught to my by my parents so many years before…God is love. God loves me. God cares. God sees and knows. Simple lessons, yet amazingly profound.

And what I found in the midst of some very dark days was that God was there. He does love me. And He does have my best interests in mind, even when I don’t really know what that means.

There is no other way to play the game of life than to do it with endurance, faith, hope and trust – trust in the One who gave me the life in which to play it.

Lisa
P.S. I hope you’ll come back on Thursday when I will be posting about our very exciting Second Chance Prom this past weekend. Can we say, FUN?

7 comments:

Linda Harris said...

Lisa,

My first piece was also published in Home Life, but in 1980. Thanks for this post.

Natalie Witcher said...

I love the verse: "I will give you treasures in darkness, riches stored in secret places."

My greatest treasures have come from my hardest times and it wasn't becuase God wanted to teach me something, he wanted to GIVE me something. mmmm, he's good

Jamie said...

I needed to read this today. Thanks for sharing, your words were a blessing to me.

His Girl said...

I've been doing a lot of counseling with ppl in this same situation... thanks for the reminder of where to point them and how :)

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I can't wait to see your pictures, I overheard some people in the halls on Sunday night talking about it! Sounds like it was great!!

I could really, really relate to your feelings through this time you went through. Sometimes I have felt like I was the only one, and then just like God did with you, he will send someone to come along beside us who is going through the same thing. I've recently seen this with two friends of mine too! Great post! Hope you have a great week!

Kim Heinecke said...

I've been sent back to the start several times. The "game" usually gets better and better because I'm closer to Him.
Great post.

Lelia Chealey said...

Loved this truth that you wrote here Lisa:

And what I found in the midst of some very dark days was that God was there. He does love me. And He does have my best interests in mind, even when I don’t really know what that means.

AMEN sista!! Sometimes that is just so hard to recognize when we're standing in the middle of a dark room with no light switch...