Monday, June 30, 2008

Question Series: Week #3 -- How "ugly" can I get?

Good morning!
Since posting this blog in the wee hours of the morning, I have received word that my devotion "Secret Places" is being featured on the Proverbs 31 online devotions today. If you are visiting after reading that devotion, welcome to my blog! I had no idea that I would be sharing my "ugly" with quite as many of you today. But God knew...and again, He found a great way to help me kept it real. Hope you can handle my truth, visiting friends. I am praying that somehow this post touches your heart. I find it interesting that on the day I write about "secret places," He asks me to reveal some of my own. Grace for all of us! Lisa



Question: How "ugly" can I get?

Sometimes, I am the ugliest person on the planet. Seriously.

I’m not actually talking about how I looked in the hospital when I was in labor or the airport picture from 1990 my mom took of me when I was in college. Not that either of those categories are cute, mind you, but what I am talking about is more than a case of really sweaty hair and super swollen cankles or a lame pose in high-waisted jeans with thick glasses resembling coke bottles.

What I am talking about is something far uglier.

My “ugly” is what I look like when I love myself too much.

Unfortunately, this happens quite frequently, I’m afraid. I am selfish, ya’ll. And not just a little bit.

We’re talking grade-A…blue ribbon…gold medal…prime time selfish. The look-in-the-dictionary-and-you-will-find-my-picture-next-to-the-definition of the word “selfish” kind of selfish. It’s true. Lest you question my claim’s validity, let me assure you that this selfishness is, indeed, a long held tradition of mine.

~I think about what makes me most comfortable, most of the time.

~I dwell on my likes and dislikes, often spending time wondering what is the best way to get the things I want out of life.

~I get frustrated when things don’t turn out like I think they need to.


And…oh yeah…I really like to get my way.

On a surface-type level, my selfishness shows up in the most conspicuous times. Like when we go to a restaurant as a family …I like to be the decider of where we should eat based on what food meets my craving at the time. When I’m watching TV in my bedroom at night…I mostly hog the remote control and I don’t like to stop and talk to my husband when I’m in the middle of a show I really like to watch. (Especially if it involves me having to find something for him that he’s lost.) And that goes double for me when I am on my computer.

On a spiritual level, my selfishness shows up in the things I do and don’t do for God. I say “yes” to the things I want to do. I submit to His authority when it comes easy for me. I love Him a lot when He is blessing me…speaking to me…and ministering to me. I trust Him when I feel comfortable and safe.

Friends, it’s so ugly…but it’s so true. I am super selfish.

Of all people, God is intimately aware of my struggle with self. Because of that, He tends to graciously give me glorious opportunities to rid myself of the “Goliath” of pride in my life. He helps me keep it real, even when I’d rather keep on keeping it all about me.

Such an opportunity arose recently when He asked me to go and serve at a women’s conference without the expectation of anything, really, in return. No platform, no agenda, no banner, no book signing. Just service. It was something I was honestly not used to.

Upon receipt of my marching orders, I asked Him if He was sure. I reminded Him of my spiritual giftedness (NOT in the area of service). I gave Him my opinion. And then He gently gave me His…

“For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve…”(Mark 10:45)

So I went. To the conference. And I served.

Honestly, I wasn’t very good at it. I was pretty awkward with it, really. I fumbled around with everything from microphones to banner assembly, and I was rarely in the right place at the right time.

But I went, and in some very small way, I served.

And when I did, my ugly was held at bay, and for a moment, I could see clearly what was and is real…

...Stretching myself to do what does not come naturally to me.

...Taking my Goliath out of the closet and staring it in the face.

...Laying aside my agenda to submit to His.

...Loving Him more than I do me.


If I’m honest with myself I’ll admit that my ugliness has prevented me from doing many things in my life. It has kept me thinking that somehow, anything was about me. It has made me crave the endorsements of others. It has motivated me to seek first the world according to me. It has, over the years, made me decide to trust myself more than I trust my very own DNA- making Creator. I’ve learned a lot about my ugly over the years. It’s been a part of me for a very long time.

Sometimes I see it for what it is, and sometimes, I don’t.

Sometimes I keep it real, and sometimes, I choose not to.

But thanks be to God, for just when my ugly starts to come out again, He gives me another glorious opportunity to die to my self.

And when He does, I will, undoubtedly, once again, try to convince Him that in some way, it still needs to be about me. And then, He will, undoubtedly, convince me that it won’t work if it is. And then I will, once again, re-visit ways to keep it real. And then He will, without fail, accept me back with open arms and give me the privilege to serve without expectation.

And I will take steps toward loving myself less and Him more.

And that is when my ugly leaves and my Goliath dies.

And I remember exactly what is real.

Lisa

32 comments:

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Boy, you are not alone in this one. Dying to self is incredibly hard but you nailed it with your thoughts. I am personally on a journey to have the same mind as Christ and it's joyful but painfully difficult in this world.
I just walk this faith journey and find myself more and more asking in my day "is this from God or from me". A little more of Him, a little less of me...it's helping to conform my mindset!

In His Graces~Pamela

Kay Martin said...

Admitting our selfish "ugly" is beautiful to our Lord. Carley Simon's song "You're so Vain" could be my theme song if Holy Spirit didn't interrupt my thinking. Thanks for the transparency in your "ugly." Your honesty momemt by moment is empowering for me to stay vigilant on my "ugly" self. Grace and mercy continually ministered to us when we confess our "ugly" is amazing.

much2ponder said...

This is such a good representation for me today. I too am dealing with letting go of myself. Not so much in the public domain, but in general. I have come to understand that the greatest barrier between me and God is me, my selfishness and my need for control. I say I want to go deeper with God, but not really because that would require me doing things that will be uncomfortable for me and at times my comfort is more important than His plan. Did I really say that? Me? Follower of the Lord; the one who promised him my life; my heart and my everything? The one who said, I would go to the ends of the earth for Him? Who is this person? I don't even recognize myself anymore. Thanks for this post. I have been doing a little series on my blog about my need to control and the reasons for it and I'm about finished. Your post gave me the kick I needed to stop seeking my own comfort. The reasons for my need of control pale in comparison to what he wants to do with me when I finally am free of control. Thank you.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Apart from Jesus Christ, nothing good lives in me. On my best day, it's usually about me.

Here's the deal. The only way I know to combat my selfishness is to draw closer to Jesus. And the closer I get to him, the less insistent my needs, wants, desires.

Embracing the cross, means getting close enough to touch it...be moved by it. To feel the weight of its pulse as it carries on my shoulders. When I move away from Calvary, I move in only one direction.

Toward self.

So, I tend to the cross. I remember it through my actions, prayers, and times of intimate worship when I'm all alone with Him.

When I lose the wonder of Calvary's work, I will always default to seeking the wonders of this world. May God keep us all at the foot of our redemption. There's only one way to live within such sacred posture...as the humble servant God created us to be.

And yes, I think your service to us all was a nice fit. It may have seemed stranged to you but it sure poured out beautiful.

peace~elaine

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Wow girl, you got real here!! And that's a good thing!! I love your honesty about the true difficulty of dying to self. It's a struggle for us all!

I've been trying to find the "big stuff" each day with God, and sometimes being a sahm this is hard. There doesn't seem to be any souls to save doing laundry or encouragment found in picking up those same toys for the 100th time, but I know it's all apart of this life-long journey.

Loved this!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh Lisa this really speaks to my heart. I can be so selfish sometimes and when I catch myself then I feel just awful. I'm often asked to serve in the kitchen at church and I hate kitchen duty. My husband loves it but not me. Sometimes I go and sometimes I don't but whether or not I do often is based on my mood and not on whether or not I'm serving others. I really agree with pamela that I often ask who is this from - God or me. If I look at the outcome, really look, I find it easier to make a decision. Thanks for opening yourself up to us. Blessings, marlene

Christie Todd said...

You took the words straight from my mouth, girlfriend! I am also downright ugly in my selfishness. Thank you for your transparency. I really appreicated you P31 devotion today and forwarded to all my email buddies - it will also be posted on my blog today. By the way, I thought you did a great job serving at She Speaks.
Christie

Renee Swope said...

Oh girl, thanks for being so real. What timing that God had your devo running today! What a gift for us all to meet a "REAL" woman (and author)who admits her ugly and invites us to turn away from self-seeking so we can focus on serving others before self.

I have found that when I focus on serving, I don't fall as easily into the performance trap. I mean how can you fail at serving when your heart is seeking to give? Although I did recently volunteer to make meal for someone, although cooking is NOT my gift. By the time I got it to her, the homemade chicken soup broth had spilled all over my car (because I used the wrong kind of container)and the noodles had gotten "plump" so it became chicken & dumplings instead! I just had to laugh at myself, before I cried!

Can't wait to read your book this summer.

Hugs,
Renee

seesawfaith said...

I'm sorry, but how did you get into my head, and how can I get you back out before you tell any more of my "uglies" to the world?

I am such a selfish creature...and always about things that don't matter. I have turned down my son's offer of playing games just because I am comfy on the couch, my husband's offers of walks because I was "too tired".

Because of my selfishness I have missed great opportunities to make lasting memeories with my husband and make Godly impressions on my son.

Even worse is the fact that I know I disappoint God, yet continue with my behavior. People tell me that I am not alone, Paul struggled with the same thing where he wrote about his don't want to but do struggle. That doesn't make me feel better. It just makes me realize that it is something that won't magically change and I have a long road of work and humility ahead of me.

Thanks for sharing your struggle with your "uglies". Your willingness to share your insights into yourself helped me to focus on what I really want to leave as a legacy for my son, and now my baby daughter. No overnight change, but once again being willing to take it to the foot of the cross and ask Jesus to help me carry the load.

Sheryl said...

Wow, God just took what you call "ugly" and brought beauty!! That was an awesome post. I love it when we're real. Your comment about craving the endorsments of others is something I really relate to. And it's gotten me in a whole heap of trouble!

Thanks for sharing your ugliness, we are all right there with you. Only some of us are holding on tighter to it afraid of what He'll ask if we let it go.

-Sheryl

Kara said...

Hi Lisa,

Boy do I have the "ugly" when my family is concerned. I can go and help at church and have a good attitude and get into my truck and the boys start fighting and it goes down hill from there. I can spend time praying, reading and worshipping the Lord, but when it come to my own family, I have little patients. This is a huge struggle that I am trying to overcome (notice I said "I" and trying to overcome, I need to let go and let God take control).
When my husband and I get into an argument, he is the one that usually apologies first. Now that is just downright "UGLY". My pride builds up and I am going to be the winner of the argument, no matter if he is right in the first place.
I need balance! HELP the "UGLY" is getting out of control!
Thanks Lisa for being "REAL". Loved your post from Proverbs 31 this morning.
In His Service,
Kara Proverbs 4:23-27

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lisa for keeping it real.
I love you sister,
Colleen

Paula V said...

Great post. Your honesty is so beautiful and I know it brings glory to God. I'm feeling very "ugly" today with my poor attitude at work. This post convicted me of that. Yes, people are doing things wrong here and making messes but then that is about me also because I am the one to clean them and correct the messes made.

I have seen my days of "ugly" regarding major selfishness. I can tell I am a lot better than I was but then I'm not in those same situations. If I am blessed to be in that situation, and that relationship, would my "ugly" come back. Honestly, I would like the opportunity to see and then also to put to work the changes God has done in my heart. It's kind of like I want to show to that person (in that relationship) and God that I did heed His instructions, His changes are real and permanent, and I can defeat the tempation to allow my ugly to show, or at least not as much it did.

Thanks, Lisa.
Blessings,
Paula

Yolanda said...

Beautiful!

What a precious reminder, a little easier to swallow.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Natalie Witcher said...

dang it. thanks for the post. (I typed that with a look of "dang it.") :)

In Need of Him said...

Oh my gosh Lisa, can I so relate to your "ugly"! Especially the part about loving Him when "He is blessing me…speaking to me…and ministering to me. I trust Him when I feel comfortable and safe." Oh how do I know that one!! Thank you for keeping it real. I also want to let you know how great it was to meet you at She Speaks....I am the one you interviewed that was sooo reluctant to get in front of the camera....I am so sure you must remember ;-) after all, you didn't have many, many people to meet that weekend. Anyway, I felt such a draw to you and I have been reading your blogs ever since. Maybe one day our paths will cross again ;-) sure hope so.

Unknown said...

Girl, selfish is my middle name! I've always struggled with it. Maybe it's my thorn!

Nevertheless (thanks for the word, Suzie!), God loves us anyway and will continue to do so no matter how ugly we get. Thanks for sharing with us and making all of us ugly girls feel better!

Unknown said...

I am totally ugly too. :(

Thank God he is faithful to complete his work.

Amy L Brooke said...

Wow. That was powerful and real -- something I can unfortunately relate to.

It's been going on this last half year or so. Sigh. Actually, a couple of years ago they needed ppt people at church. I figured it was something I could do even if I wasn't really gifted. This spring, I've moved to doing it for the children's ministry. I don't mind doing it, but it sometimes bothers me that the sound ppt people NEVER get noticed unless we miss a beat or the computer freezes or something . . . . Late this spring, the kids made pictures for the leaders and the drama team and dancers. Yes, some beloved people had 3 or 4.

I serve faithfully and I had 0. Sigh. And Tina is asking me to serve there again this coming year. (She tells me I'm really good at it! Okay -- it's click, click, click.) But I keep thinking back to that Sunday.

And God keeps saying, "Who are you doing it for? Me or them?"

How about both!?

Nope, it needs to be all about Him.

Part of me wants to say, "I could learn lines for a skit . . . ."

He keeps saying, "Or you could faithfully serve completely behind the scenes."

Sorry to go on and on.

But I am glad you were there. It was so good to meet you!!!

Laura said...

I thought you served so graciously, friend. Your beautiful face showed me Jesus all weekend. I was so blessed by you! And I was so pleased to see you in my inbox in the P31 devo today! And what words, girl! We all have that ugh-ly! inside, you are so right. Your words convict and redirect. He is all that is beautiful in me.

Pat said...

WOW!! Lisa, Your transparency is a breath of fresh air. You have set the tone for all of us (ME) to take a look at just how much time we (I) spend looking at ourselves (Myself)!!

Thank you, your heart is precious!
Pat

Aunt Angie said...

Oh girl. I am IN your book! How'd you know? AND when I was reading here tonight...I thought to myself---I thought I was the only one wearing "high-waisted" jeans...actually, since I wore almost only hand-me downs...I was wearing them as they were "easing" out of style...but...ssshhhh---if we don't talk about it...I may not remember that era.
I just had to pop over here and tell you I am enjoying your book. Yes, it has wound up being one of my "take it to the tub" books. It's gotta be mighty special to be in the "bathtub category". That's when I can be sure to have some real peace and quiet.
You are a blessing dear Lisa.
Thanks for the sweet neck hug at She Speaks and the kind words!
Love you much dear one!

Kim said...

Found you via todays devotion on PS31. What a powerful message and one I needed to hear.

As much as I hate to admit it I am very selfish. I like to think I do for others without thought to myself, but that's not always the case. Not that I want a pat on the back from them but I do it because it makes me feel good. If I don't feel like helping I don't.

Thanks again for the eye opener. I like what pamela (mrsjoeb) asks "is this from God or from me". Soemthing I'll be asking myself.
Blessing to you.

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

hey girlie - Hope you are doing well!! I have a giveaway on my blog you might want to check out!!
they make an ugly day........prettier!

Love, Leigh

Jamie said...

Thanks for keeping it real! This line:
"It has made me crave the endorsements of others."
really struck a chord with me. I so want to please God more than anything else, but I am often trying to please others first. Wanting so much to have the approval of others. Sometimes it just wears me out.
Thanks again for sharing you heart...it did my heart good today.

Karen said...

Lisa,

I hopped over from Rachel's blog and I read your whole series. I have also ordered your book and look forward to reading it and maybe recommending it to my Bible Study group in the fall. You sound like an amazing lady and I am so glad I found your blog. Thanks for the questions; they are very thought provoking.

Blessings to you,

Karen - CA

Unknown said...

You have hit MY nail on the head! Thank you for being real; for being transparent. I needed to hear this message today!

I've got to get a copy of your book! It sounds exactly like the sort of thing that will bless my heart...and maybe step on my toes, which will be a good thing! :)

Prayers and Blessings!
Rebecca

Mary R Snyder said...

Lisa - girl, are we kin? (Said with that deep, Southern drawling accent). I knew we had some things in common -- a book with T Nelson, a quirky sense of humor, but this....we're both selfish, navel gazers, too?

Thanks so much for being you -- faults and all. I know your walk is blessing me and so many others.

Anonymous said...

You know it is our Daddy nudging us when we are on the same brainwave. Thank you for your transparency. We all fall short until that Glorious day. You are getting there. Keep the faith!

Lisa said...

Hey friends!
I am so touched by your comments --more than you know. This post was a step towards vulnerability for me, which (for those of you who have read Behind Those Eyes know I need it) is something I simply must do to "keep it real." While I am so sorry some of you are in my same "boat," it also blesses me to hear you get real, too. The truth is, we all struggle with our flesh in some way.

That is why constant communication with our Father is what we desperately need. On our knees is where we need to be!! Every day.

Oh, and one more thing. Someone emailed me after this post and said that she had a hard time loving herself and often went the opposite way of what I'm talking about in this post. But actually, serving others to gain recognition and approval and love from them is also a self-focus and self serving in some way. It's a strange irony, but it's true. The key is to love and accept yourself with a Christ-centered perspective, while not loving yourself so much you feed the desires of your own flesh. It's a juggle, I know. But it's the only way to truly keep it all real.

Much love and prayers for a clean heart for all of us!
Lisa :)

Lisa said...

Oh, and p.s.....

I plan on visiting your blogs this week or as soon as I can. I love seeing the new "faces" who have come over from P31 devotions or another blogger. Please know that I desire to respond to each of you in a personal way, as I love personal comments back to me! But I have been hit with a sudden writing deadline and may not get to visiting you until next week sometime. But I am coming your way soon!

Lisa :)

Lelia Chealey said...

But thanks be to God, for just when my ugly starts to come out again, He gives me another glorious opportunity to die to my self.


LOVED that Lisa!! Great word written with so much truth my goodness. Very good.
Thanks for all your prayers. Still not home, but in a better place. I don't have your email so if you can send it my way: chealey5@windstream.net
Love you much,
Lelia