Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Jesus Called and He Wants His Steering Wheel Back

Thank you, Lelia, for the inspiration behind this post. Because of your authenticity about your own issues with control, I was moved to write about this. You sharpen my iron, girl. So…thank you.

If you’re like me, you might be convicted just by the title of this blog. The truth is, I could probably stop right here, having made my point. But I know there’s more I need to say.

It’s that control thing, ya’ll. I’ve got a problem with it.

I’ve written about my issues with control before, like in this post. It is no secret to those I love that my world runs best when I know information like who, what, where, when, and if at all possible, how. Though I have been at times severely stretched, proven wrong, had things blow up in my face, and been convicted over this issue of control before, still I refer back to it like an old and trusted friend. To be sure, it has been with me for a very long time.

I’ve tried to control my present…like the time today I got frustrated when I realized my husband didn’t tell me about his plans to meet a buddy for dinner. Instead of being happy for him to have a few minutes with a friend, I complained that he didn’t tell me about it until the last minute, disrupting MY plans.

I’ve tried to control my future…I’ve scurried around at times, running here and running there…spending “x” amount of hours on the computer and email and on the phone trying to build my ministry. I’ve networked and mingled ‘til I was blue in the face. I’ve tried to play the game, continuously hoping that one day I’d get really good at it if I tried hard enough.

I’ve even tried to control my past, as funny as that may seem. I’ve sometimes shared only parts of my life and my experiences with people, leaving out the “really bad” things that might turn someone off or make them think less about me. I’ve been selective with some of the things I’ve shared, controlling my past.

You’d think I would know better by now, but I’m afraid I often have a bit of amnesia when it comes to this subject. Though I do have quite a repertoire to refer to.

My control issues have caused me lots of pain over the years. I have missed out on sweet blessings that I could have otherwise received but didn’t because I was trying to control it all. I have spent countless hours worrying for nothing. I have tried and striven until my eyes were blurred and my heart was weary and I never wanted to try, again. I have hurt relationships with people I care about. I have said things that I wish I could take back. I have compromised my body, my soul and my spirit by foolishly thinking I could control anything, when the truth was, everything I thought I was controlling was controlling me.

In college, I tried to control my weight. I existed on 500 calories a day so that I would be the super skinny girl I never was but always wanted to be. I exercised like a maniac so I would be thin enough for my boyfriend, trying to control how much he loved me. I never achieved anything by trying to control it, but I always, always tried. My weight was just one of the ways I tried.

Most of all, I have hurt my relationship with Jesus by yes, even trying to control that. I have wanted Him to do the things for me I thought were best. I have tried to convince Him that He needed a little bit more of my help. I have run around trying to control things instead of resting in His sovereignty and direction. I have tried to control my role in our relationship, and in the process, I have missed out on the joy that comes from letting Him parent me properly.

Oh, control. It’s been a long time companion for this girl.

So when my friend talked to me recently about how she is like that girl in the movies who always lunges for the steering wheel of the car she’s riding in, causing a terrible wreck, I could immediately visualize me being the lunger and grabber of the steering wheel of my own life’s car. I could picture God in the driver’s seat, where I asked him to be when I was 6 year’s old. And I could see me as the passenger, sitting right beside Him. I could see the times I panicked when the road we were on didn’t look like the one I wanted to be on and letting control rear its ugly head and win as I lunged desperately for the steering wheel, it resulted in a horrific crash.

The truth is, that some of my control issues have not resulted in a terrible crash. But they have still affected my journey and my relationship with God, so what is the difference? Carrie Underwood may sing the song, “Jesus, Take the Wheel,” but too often my life's song is, “Jesus, give me that wheel. I know what I’m doing.”

Of course, I don’t. And that’s when He reminds me that He’s the driver and I’m the passenger, and He wants His steering wheel back, thank you very much.

And then I remember all the times He has driven my car successfully. And I remember that I can trust Him to do the navigating. And that my role is not one of control, but rather, one of surrender.

Oswald Chambers said it best when He wrote, “God is not working toward a particular finish – His purpose is the process itself…[His] training is for now, not for later. His purpose is for this very minute, not for sometime in the future. We have nothing to do with what will follow our obedience, and we are wrong to concern ourselves with it.”

Translation? Jesus called and He wants His steering wheel back.

He won’t force it out of our hands. He won’t take it back by manipulation. He may even allow a crash to happen in the process of transfer of drivership, though that was not His intention. But make no mistake about it, He wants it back.

It’s up to us to decide whether or not we will release our grip of the steering wheel when our desire to control grips us. He will let us drive, but it will never yield the results we are after.

When we release our grip of the wheel, we release our life back to his control. We answer “yes” to His call for submission. We decide to surrender. We choose to obey.

For we aren’t to concern ourselves with the destination, but rather, sit back and let the expert navigate the roads. After all, He’s got a perfect driving record.

post signature

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl. Reading your book.

GREAT STUFF! And I'm only on chapter 2 :)

Pinkshoelady said...

Hey New Freind,
This has hit home with me!

One thing I have realized this year is that though I don't wrestle with pride/control with other people I sure do with God.

I may give Him the wheel but I have the navigation system, He just sometimes...no, all the time won't follow. So I fuss and complain. I pout or just close my eyes and refuse to watch the journey.
I like the quote by Oswald Chambers about it being the journey or the process. I trust Jesus for the end results but not the journey getting there.

Oooooh, I've got to go pray now.

Thanks
Pamela R.

Shannon said...

I so needed to read this today.

I'm presenting workshops all week long and my nametag should read Ms. Super Busy and Trying to Be in Control of Every Single Thing in Her Life and Getting Cranky When Things Don't Go Her Way But Putting on a Happy (AKA FAKE) Face and Pretending. :(

Thank you for the much needed reminder that Jesus is ALWAYS in control and I am NOT.

Blessings to you,
Shannon

Yolanda said...

Being a woman that likes to have control, you might enjoy my latest post. Confirmation, in a twisted way.

Love to you,
Yolanda

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

A perfect post for my life right now. We received an offer last night from Austin. Isaiah 65:24 before we called, He answered. Not the map I had hoped for but it is His map that He is driving on cause He's got my wheel. I would have taken a wrong turn mapping out a better path. We have two weeks til school starts to sell/rent our house we've lived in for 20 years, find a house in Austin, move, find a school, read summer reading, and I'll need to find a job. Hmmm. Pray moment by moment, circumstance by circustance, I don't grab that wheel to make it happen. Appreciate your heart journey so much!

Unknown said...

He does have a perfect driving record, doesn't he? Thank you for this post. This control freak needed to hear it. Really needed to hear it.

You are such an encouragement!

Prayers and blessings,
Rebecca

Karen said...

Thanks for the perspective Lise, and yes, the title is great! I have read other devotions where GOD is the GPS and we are the drivers choosing to follow His directions or not, but I really like this perspective. Taking the wheel ourselves is so arogant (and potentially dangerous)! It really hits home and makes me think....

Thanks again,

Karen

Paula V said...

Wow...what a great word of encouragement. Not only for what we should do (give Him the wheel) but also encouragement that others struggle with control also. I guess I feel I've been judged, criticized so harshly, even abandon because of it. I'm realizing now this person who left was judging me as though I was the only woman with such issues. I have since majorly relaxed, I think.

I also love your statement here:
"I could see the times I panicked when the road we were on didn’t look like the one I wanted to be on and letting control rear its ugly head and win as I lunged desperately for the steering wheel, it resulted in a horrific crash"

Oh, what a beautiful word picture. How I've often "panicked" in my life, feeling out of control, and feeling I must do something to fix it and "see" the results of that fixin' now. But, oh to wait on the Master to fix things in His time and way. Panic can be very dangerous.

I love this statement: "He will let us drive, but it will never yield the results we are after."

Isn't that so true. I mean it show He does love us freely, allowing us to make our own choices yet He is always right there willing and waiting to take back what is rightfully His. Sometimes, I wish He'd force His ways on us, take that wheel, yank us onto His path, but then He wouldn't be who He is then, huh?!

Thanks for being so open and allow your own human flaws to encouraged us and minister to so many hearts.
Love,
Paula

On Purpose said...

Oh Lisa,

Can I say that I am reading "my story" as I read your blog today. Okay maybe some of the control issues are on different topics or different areas..buts its me.

So really why do I think I can do a better job...when my track record is negative?

At the end of reading this blog I am being led to lift you up in prayer today...because if I know how bad I struggle with this and just how hard it is...then you do to and I want to honor your obedience and take your name before our Creator.

May we trust that He designed the GPS!

MiMi said...

This was an awesome post with some great word pictures to describe so many of us! We often think that God needs our help driving, but He's never steered us wrong yet! Like you said, He has a perfect driving record!
Thank you so much for sharing these challenging thoughts.
Emilie

Raymond VanDerLinden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
much2ponder said...

Blogger Raymond VanDerLinden said...

Oh, how I can relate to this post. I've been dealing with control issues my entire life it seems. Since becoming a Christian it seems I am to continue to give up more and more control over my life. Then, just when I think I have been successful in giving up one area of control, I find a new one or perhaps an old one that has found a new way to manifest in my life. I have been doing a lot of writing about this very issue for the past couple of months. I am now reading a book entitled Emotionally Healthy Spirituality and it is very good. though it will undoubtedly make you think in ways you have never though before, it is also a good reminder of the need to find out the reasons for our control issues so we can deal with them and move on. Praise the Lord, He is always right there when we need him, just waiting for us to turn the wheel back over to him. God is good!

Jamie said...

Oh man, I've got a big ol' lump in my throat...this really hit home with me. I so want to willingly surrender that steering wheel!

Michelle said...

Awesome title. Thanks for your honesty. I've released the steering wheel, but the road is so fogging ahead, I keep looking at the wheel, tempted to just put a hand on it. I'll leave it with the one with a better driving record. Blessings!

Laura said...

You have really hit a home run with this one, my friend! I don't know why this lesson is so hard for me to learn! Not only do I want to do the driving, but sometimes I try to teach Him how to parallel park! Relying on my flesh...weak...and sinful. No wonder it gets so hard sometimes! I love your heart, Lisa.
You bless.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hello. This is my first time here. I enjoyed this post a lot and can relate to a lot of what you said. I wonder why control is such a big issue with most women? What is that about?

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Honestly, I'm exhausted from the driving. I think, sometimes, exhaustion becomes the breaking point for "controllers." It has for me. I'm too tired to drive anymore.

God has allowed me to reach this point without navigating my life into a fatal "head on" collision, but my friend...

There have been some close calls. Some near misses. Some ditches and some crossing over of the yellow lines. But for the grace of God, I stand today, without wrinkle or blemish. A few scars? Indeed, but even they are beautiful in the eyes of my Father.

I love you and am praying for your peace this week. Be blessed and let go. Your Father loves your heart and passion and drive. He just never meant for you to do it alone.

peace~elaine

Lelia Chealey said...

This was beautiful Lisa!! I loved everything about it. I try to control so much it's just CRAZY and so tiring!!! I think I'm getting better, but then I realized I may have given up trying to control "A", but it's because I've shifted my radar to "B". I think I am definitely one of many if not the biggest problem child God has. I sit in the corner a lot Lisa!
Let's give up our control to God completely!!! We know it's going to be so worth it and much more relaxing! Your post title is great!
Love you,
Lelia
P.S. Your new blog look is gorgeous!!! I really love what is written above the "Behind the Eyes" title. So much truth there.

Holly said...

Love this post Lisa!