Monday, August 18, 2008

Life Lessons in Love and Lip Gloss

Sometimes the best way to learn life lessons is to eavesdrop on a conversation. Especially if that conversation involves a petite 5-year old with the highest pitched voice one has ever heard.

“Do you want some lip gloss?” Her similarly high-pitched friend asked her from the back of the car.

“No, I don’t like lip gloss.” She answered, matter-of-factly.

“Why not? Lip gloss is pretty.” Said the friend.

As if considering her statement, she paused, then answered.

“Well, I look really good without lip gloss, so I don’t need any.”

And I just smiled.

If I hadn’t been more pleased with her statement, I might have exhorted her with a little lesson in humility. But I was just too thrilled that she thought she looked good enough without a greasy, bubble-gum flavored substance caked on her lips to comment.

I sent this same petite 5-year old with the highest pitched voice ever heard to school this week for the very first time. She proudly entered the large brick building, wearing her backpack securely on her tiny back. She walked with my hand in hers, unaware that her presence makes her mama’s heart nearly palpitate out of her chest. I was glad she didn’t know how much I didn’t want to let her go. Thankfully, she showed up to her first day of Kindergarten with enough confidence for both of us. Between the sight of the backpack and the thought of sending my child through the doors of the large brick building, I was fresh out.

You’d think that I’d be used to the first day of school by now, after sending two before her. But it’s just one of those life things you just never get used to. At least, I haven't.

Like any mom, I want a lot for my baby girl. I want her to be safe and feel secure. I want her to be liked, and I want her to be accepted. I want her to be more than I have ever been…have more than I have ever had…and love more than I have ever loved. And I want her to know some things that will matter much more to her in the future than whether or not she looks good in lip-gloss. In sending her to school this week, I have been reflecting on some of these things I want her to know. Here are a few of my “life lessons in love…”

~Who she is…is not what she looks like.
She is beautiful, but not because God gave her the prettiest hair I have ever seen. She will never be more beautiful in her life than when she is serving God. And that will not require her wearing a certain type of shoes or a really cute pair of sunglasses.

~Who she is…is not what she does.
God may lead her to become a wife and mother one day. Maybe she’ll teach school or become a professional pianist or decorate homes or be a church secretary. But those are just ways she can fulfill a life call. They don’t make her who she is. God took care of that at her conception. She is His beautifully created daughter. Period. End of story.

~Who she is…is not what someone expects her to be.
She doesn’t have to say yes to someone when she really means no. She doesn’t need to think gaining someone’s love means compromising who she is or what she feels or thinks. Her value is not measured by the influences of others.

~Who she is…is good enough.
She was purposefully crafted…lovingly designed…and is dearly treasured. Her worth is immeasurable to a God who cherishes her every thought and movement. She is good enough without winning trophies or ribbons or tiaras or awards. Those things have nothing to do with who she is.

I don’t want her to think she has to wear lip-gloss to be pretty. I know as she grows older, it is nearly inevitable, but I wish it weren’t so. I know she may…at some point…believe what society tells her about her worth and value. I know she may spend time trying to please everyone around her and think it has to be so in order to be loved. I know she may sometimes forget how important she is and that she is cherished and treasured. But I wish it weren’t so.

How about you?

Did you wake up today knowing that who you are has nothing to do with how you look? Do you understand that working harder and trying better doesn’t make you an important person? Are you living with the mindset that the only expectation you have to live up to is the one that says you are to love God with your whole heart? Do you know in the depth of your soul that you are good enough, just because of your Heavenly heritage?

If not, then maybe you are in need of a life lesson in love from the Heavenly Father. The One who doesn’t expect your perfection because He knows you can’t deliver it. The One who doesn’t ask you to work harder, just love Him more. The One who values you immensely, loves you intensely, and pursues you wholeheartedly.

The One who thinks you’re beautiful, even without your lip-gloss.

Now there's a life lesson in love.

post signature

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reason I don't wear lip gloss on a daily basis :)

Great stuff, Lisa.

I'm sending my baby to PreK on Wednesday. Sniff, sniff.

Mary R Snyder said...

Oh Lisa -- how beautiful. Like many women, I look in the mirror and find only the flaws and not the blessings. I think tomorrow morning I'll look for what I like about me and stop worrying about the rest. God loves me just the way I am.

Your baby girl is precious --it seems like yesterday my baby was starting K-5 and she's now a sophomore in high school.

Loved this post and I'm taking this message with me.

Heather - On the Road... said...

Lisa, thank you for this post. The whole idea of looking in the mirror, I just wrote about.
How much I have been struggling lately with all of the points you talked about here.. my worth and beauty doesn't depend on the world, the things that are expected of me...
to know that God doesn't expect me to do anything but love me more, because He loves me and lip gloss or not, I am still beautiful... hard to accept.
Here is my most recent post... talking about this... amazing how God works. Almost everyone's blog I have visited in the last week has talked about one aspect of this or another.

http://hkudla.wordpress.com/2008/08/17/beautiful-whats-in-a-name-8/

God bless,
Heather

Pinkshoelady said...

Lisa,
THis post was for me this morning!
I have been struggling not with my looks this week but my worth and who I am.
After the change in my job, change in churches and a really difficult conversation with my husband, this was the Words I needed! I capitalized "Words" on purpose because even though they are not scripture I do believe they are Words from God straight to my heart!

Thank You Father for Lisa!
Bless her today! Send her a sweet surprise that will thrill her soul anew and shout to her heart that she is loved!

Thank you again my friend!
Pamela R.

Shannon said...

This is beautiful and something I needed to read this morning- as I begin a week full of presentations before large crowds. As I prepare for them, it's easy to feel that I'm not thin enough, my teeth aren't white enough, that I am simply not enough. Thank you for reminding me, that God loves me - as I am- more than I could ever imagine.

Thank you for blessing me with your words and for sharing your precious daughter with us!

Praying your day is blessed beyond measure!

Cynthia said...

Lisa,
I am sorry to say it doesn't get any easier. I sent my 16 and 13 year old off to school this morning. The youngest entering Jr. High and the oldest a driving Junior. As they drove out of the drive way big crocodile tears formed as the summer with two of my favorite young men had also ended. I cling to the fact that last night my husband and I prayed over them that they may be a light for God in their schools. Hopefully we'll be able to keep lip gloss off the two clowns.

I want to tell you how much I am enjoying your book "Behind Those Eyes". I have been traveling through it slowly to glean as much as I can. There are times I strongly feel the stabs of conviction as I find myself in a chapter but yet I find encouragement soon after. My question is...Were you tagging along in my life as you wrote it?

Thanks for this post! Very encouraging as I start to come up for a breath as I thread the waters of lack of worth.

You are a blessing!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Yes, I woke up knowing this. Good thing. I haven't been looking too good lately!

Lisa, your daughter is beautiful and was to our Father, even before conception. She's been in his mind a long time, as have all of us.

We live for his applause. Tragically, we live for the applause of others alongside and because of his visible absence, we allow the sound and sight of our temporal audience to measure our worth.

I've been working through Alicia's study in preparation for leading our women this fall in the study. I've read her book (Anonymous) umpteen times, but this time around I'm using her corresponding study guide. Just last night, she asked me to take the stage and allow myself a few moments to hear the applause of Jesus in the front row. None other in sight, just him.

It was a powerful imagining that almost made its way into my soul. Almost. I'll keep taking some time to do this.

Thanks for your heart and your genuine pursuit of Jesus. It matters. Not just for your sake, but for your daughters and your sons. At the end of this life, that's the message I want written on my memory...

That elaine, well she was a pursuer of God.

peace, sweet friend,
~elaine

Yolanda said...

What a great lesson!

Just this morning, the Lord once again, took my breath away. I hadn't thought about being the Bride of Christ any farther than that, but I found myself in Revelation chapter 21....look at verse 9.

Bride then becomes wife! Wife of the Lamb.

And that changed my thinking to an even deeper thought of just who/what a wife is. Loyal, loving, giving, faithful, LOVED IN RETURN, adored, supportive, etc. It just doesn't get much better...eternity.

Blessings,
Yolanda

Lelia Chealey said...

Awwww, I loved this post Lisa. I bet our girls would get along so well. Alivia has taught me much about not going with what the crowd does.
I love what God showed you from a conversation between 2 little girls.
Beautiful my friend...both your daughter and the lessons.
Love ya,
Lelia

On Purpose said...

Our children help us remember what REAL looks like!

Amy L Brooke said...

Your little one is beautiful! I'm glad that she has that much confidence at such a young age. That is great.

Laura said...

Oh, honey. I'm so glad His love doesn't depend on how I look. Especially not this week! My hair has been done by the wind and the sea. My scent is called sunscreen au la sweat!! But you know what??? I'm loving it!
BTW, have I told you how beautiful your new pictures are, you gorgeous thing? Are you wearing lip gloss in those pics? (smile) they are so beautiful.

Pamela (His maidservant) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Great lesson here Lisa! Thinking about how we look...there was a time I avoided mirrors because I couldn't stand to look at myself outside of when I was getting ready each morning and then I am not sure I was looking at me. Thank God for His grace! No matter how much lipgloss and make-up we can't hide the heart....
And thanks for stopping by!!

In His Graces~Pamela

MiMi said...

Great post! Thank you for the reminders about who I really am. I needed to hear this today.

Kimmie T said...

Lisa - this really speaks to the coversation that you and I had a couple of weeks ago. I pray everyday that "K" will be able to see the beautiful person that she is on the inside, and when you believe that - it really does shine through! Thank you for continuing to inspire me! - Kim

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Lisa! I'm visiting your blog for the first time, and "Wow"! God led me here for a reason! Thanks so much for your words today. I so loved these...
"The One who doesn’t ask you to work harder, just love Him more. The One who values you immensely, loves you intensely, and pursues you wholeheartedly." I need to focus on those eash day. I forget that He is pursuing me! I am trying to follow Him, yet He seems to be one step ahead! By slowing down, I think...no, I know that I'll be matching His stride! And that's what I need. Oh, you are just precious!
Many blessings,
Susan

Heather Conrad said...

Oh girl, I said those same words today, "It just never gets easier." We watched our precious 5 year old Emma walk into a similar brick building, though her 7 year brother took the protecting role and I watched those two backpacks disappear down the sea-hallway of little people.
I absolutely love those statements. May our daughter learn to know, live and believe the truth of those words.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Lisa I wish every single girl in middle school could read this post. What a disservice we do to our girls by placing so much emphasis on the physical. Even at my advanced age I find myself wishing that I were thinner, prettier, more graceful, on and on. I am old enough and wise enough to shake that off and remember who I am and to whom I belong. But our girls can't always do that and my heart hurts for them when they can't. blessings, marlene

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Lisa! Thanks for visiting my blog! I sent you an email--hopefully to the correct address!! Let me know if you don't get it!

I hope that your tennis lesons went great! Child number two just started this week also. He LOVED it!! You'll have a ball!
Love ya,
Susan

Renee Motley said...

Lisa,

Your little angel is so beautiful!

Renee

Carol said...

Lisa,

I can't tell you how this post has hit me. I feel the same way about my daughter soon to be headed to fourth grade, I pray about this for her.

One of the things God has been showing me is how he loves me as he made me. I spent years trying to become what the world wanted, and then when I found our precious savior he's been reshaping and remolding me.

With you and Leslie Nease as my inspirations, and what I felt God placing on my heart, I've started just recently a blog about how God has been recreating and changing me. It's only a couple posts long now, but I hope to share more on it.

If you ever get a chance to stop by please do. http://carol-lookingahead.blogspot.com/

Thank you for your words, and your honesty.

Carol

much2ponder said...

Lisa,
this was a very good and meaningful post. The Lord must know what I need to hear from him because he seems to be putting this same message in many places that I have come across. You break it down so nicely. Thank you!