Hello, friends!
If you are coming over from Lelia’s blog, you are in the right place! I am honored to have authored the featured book for Lelia’s newest on-line study, Behind Those Eyes: What’s Really Going on Inside the Souls of Women. Rest assured that as the facilitator of this study, Lelia has prayed over her decision and given careful consideration to what study to lead you in next. That girl loves you all so much! I am excited to get to know many of you as she already has.
And for those of you are stopping by and haven't come over from Lelia's blog, welcome to you, too! Glad you are checking in. If you are interested in joining this on-line study, please visit Lelia to link up. If not, I'd love for you to read on, anyway! I promise...this post is not nearly as long as my last one. (I know, I know...a collective sigh of relief.) :)
So...next question. Who am I and what is Behind Those Eyes really all about?
I’m so glad you asked. :)
Behind Those Eyes is the story of a woman who got tired of pretending and finally decided to choose what was real. It is about a woman who one day realized she didn’t have to have it all together to be loved by her Jesus. It is about being genuine…getting honest…and telling the truth. It is a book that’s impact relies heavily on the heartcry of its reader. It goes there, and if you take part in its study, you’ll have to…too.
But don’t let that scare you. You are in great company if you’re uncertain as to whether or not you are ready to face truth. The woman I write about didn’t start out wanting to be real. For some time, she wasn’t fully committed to truth. No, it wasn’t something that came easy to her. She was a born pretender, like so many who share her gender.
But one day, in a hair salon on the other side of town, she had a conversation with a hair stylist that changed her life. She didn’t go in expecting to find a story or get a spark of inspiration. She wasn’t looking for a light bulb moment or a “change your life” in a day scenario. But that’s exactly what happened. Because in a simple everyday interaction, Jesus showed up in the most unlikely of places and in the deepest places of her heart, showed her a picture of the game of pretense she had been playing. And it forever changed her soul.
That woman, of course, was me. I wrote the book for you. And most of all, I wrote the book for me. Because I am the first one to need to hear its truth. I didn’t want to tell on myself quite as much as I do or be as honest as I was in the 10 chapters of this book. (I hope you can handle my truth, friends, as you read it.) But I simply couldn’t ask you to go there and get real if I wasn’t willing to first go there, myself.
If you’ve visited my blog before, you know I have a passion for keeping it real. It is a passion that has burned in my heart ever since I learned the value of living and walking in truth. HE is truth, friends. Trust Him with your heart when you crack it open to see what’s hidden deep inside. And remember that when you do, Satan will fight you at every turn. Count on him to be up to his old tricks. He’ll likely try to convince you that being real isn’t really that important. He may tell you that your secrets can stay neatly tucked away, and you’ll never have to go there if you don’t want to. He will probably tell you that you have done all right so far without being authentic and genuine. But don’t believe the lies. The master of deception hates it when we get real, because he knows that at the end of all things true and honest stands our precious Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. And his evilness would prefer that we never make our way to Him.
I am praying for you, friends, as you start this study. I will do so by name, and I will do so often. I am always open to your thoughts and comments, as God speaks to your heart and calls you to His Truth. I am truly honored to journey through this study with you.
Oh, and on a slightly lighter note (since the book has many funny and VERY TRUE stories in it to illustrate its truths), there’s a piece of interesting trivia about it that you may not know. (And those of you who DO know, you are banned from the competition. You know who you are. :) ) The title of the book was not originally Behind Those Eyes. When I submitted it to Thomas Nelson, it had a different working title. If you want to take a guess as to what you think it once was, leave me a comment and you could win a free book to begin your study! Since most of you have not yet read the book, I’ll give you a small hint. It is a two-word title that looks at the pretense of females in a completely different way. Get your creative thinking caps on and give it a guess.
I want to leave you with one thought to consider as you begin this journey through Behind Those Eyes. And it is that “the truth may initially hurt, but the truth may be the best thing that has ever happened to you.” And you can quote me on that. :)
On the Truth-telling journey with you!
If you are coming over from Lelia’s blog, you are in the right place! I am honored to have authored the featured book for Lelia’s newest on-line study, Behind Those Eyes: What’s Really Going on Inside the Souls of Women. Rest assured that as the facilitator of this study, Lelia has prayed over her decision and given careful consideration to what study to lead you in next. That girl loves you all so much! I am excited to get to know many of you as she already has.
And for those of you are stopping by and haven't come over from Lelia's blog, welcome to you, too! Glad you are checking in. If you are interested in joining this on-line study, please visit Lelia to link up. If not, I'd love for you to read on, anyway! I promise...this post is not nearly as long as my last one. (I know, I know...a collective sigh of relief.) :)
So...next question. Who am I and what is Behind Those Eyes really all about?
I’m so glad you asked. :)
Behind Those Eyes is the story of a woman who got tired of pretending and finally decided to choose what was real. It is about a woman who one day realized she didn’t have to have it all together to be loved by her Jesus. It is about being genuine…getting honest…and telling the truth. It is a book that’s impact relies heavily on the heartcry of its reader. It goes there, and if you take part in its study, you’ll have to…too.
But don’t let that scare you. You are in great company if you’re uncertain as to whether or not you are ready to face truth. The woman I write about didn’t start out wanting to be real. For some time, she wasn’t fully committed to truth. No, it wasn’t something that came easy to her. She was a born pretender, like so many who share her gender.
But one day, in a hair salon on the other side of town, she had a conversation with a hair stylist that changed her life. She didn’t go in expecting to find a story or get a spark of inspiration. She wasn’t looking for a light bulb moment or a “change your life” in a day scenario. But that’s exactly what happened. Because in a simple everyday interaction, Jesus showed up in the most unlikely of places and in the deepest places of her heart, showed her a picture of the game of pretense she had been playing. And it forever changed her soul.
That woman, of course, was me. I wrote the book for you. And most of all, I wrote the book for me. Because I am the first one to need to hear its truth. I didn’t want to tell on myself quite as much as I do or be as honest as I was in the 10 chapters of this book. (I hope you can handle my truth, friends, as you read it.) But I simply couldn’t ask you to go there and get real if I wasn’t willing to first go there, myself.
If you’ve visited my blog before, you know I have a passion for keeping it real. It is a passion that has burned in my heart ever since I learned the value of living and walking in truth. HE is truth, friends. Trust Him with your heart when you crack it open to see what’s hidden deep inside. And remember that when you do, Satan will fight you at every turn. Count on him to be up to his old tricks. He’ll likely try to convince you that being real isn’t really that important. He may tell you that your secrets can stay neatly tucked away, and you’ll never have to go there if you don’t want to. He will probably tell you that you have done all right so far without being authentic and genuine. But don’t believe the lies. The master of deception hates it when we get real, because he knows that at the end of all things true and honest stands our precious Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. And his evilness would prefer that we never make our way to Him.
I am praying for you, friends, as you start this study. I will do so by name, and I will do so often. I am always open to your thoughts and comments, as God speaks to your heart and calls you to His Truth. I am truly honored to journey through this study with you.
Oh, and on a slightly lighter note (since the book has many funny and VERY TRUE stories in it to illustrate its truths), there’s a piece of interesting trivia about it that you may not know. (And those of you who DO know, you are banned from the competition. You know who you are. :) ) The title of the book was not originally Behind Those Eyes. When I submitted it to Thomas Nelson, it had a different working title. If you want to take a guess as to what you think it once was, leave me a comment and you could win a free book to begin your study! Since most of you have not yet read the book, I’ll give you a small hint. It is a two-word title that looks at the pretense of females in a completely different way. Get your creative thinking caps on and give it a guess.
I want to leave you with one thought to consider as you begin this journey through Behind Those Eyes. And it is that “the truth may initially hurt, but the truth may be the best thing that has ever happened to you.” And you can quote me on that. :)
On the Truth-telling journey with you!






32 comments:
Ok...I am terrible with these guessing games..."Mirror Image"? I am sure I am way off, but I do know I am so looking forward to this study!! Living in truth is a challenge and I can use all the encouragment I can get!
Sorry about your trip but at least you are safe! Keep those palms open!!
In His Graces~Pamela
Excellent post Lisa! I am so honored and excited that God has entrusted me with this blog study. It's just so exciting and I can't wait to do this study together.
I loved hearing your heart tonight. God is going to do some great things here, I just trust Him for that.
You are such a blessing!!
Love ya,
Lelia
Lisa,
As you are aware from an earlier contact from me, I found your book the first of July at Mardel's and purchased it. I am part of Lelia's on-line study team, so I'm ready to go! Yeehaw!
I also wanted to share with you, as I have with Lelia already. Our Pastor this weekend preached on being a Contender vs a Pretender.
Here is just a snip-it, but I honestly believe this was one of the best sermons my ears had ever heard. And I told him so!
Love,
Yolanda
My sermon note:
I am sure you know it, but there is a huge difference between contenders and pretenders.
• Pretenders are concerned about Image and Impressions.
• Contenders are concerned about Authenticity and Integrity
• Pretenders settle for Mediocrity, but Contenders strive for Excellence
• Pretenders quit when things get Difficult, but a Contender grows through difficulties.
Lisa, sorry to hear your trip is postponed...but like you stated, He has the plan!
Okay so you know me...or maybe you don't truly know enough of me yet...but hey you might get a little more info today..hehe. God led me to your website after She Speaks and I have been forever changed. "Meeting" you online and reading your blog for the past few months has been encouraging and uplifing to me. I have been praying the past few days and really feel like I need your help, which is huge for me to ask for (setting aside pride you know) anyway...can I send ya an email? That way I don't leave an even longer comment and scare your sweet readers away..hehe?
Yes, my friend. Send me that email.
Lisa :)
Hi Lisa,
I knew your trip had to be cancelled. You would not have a good hair day in the Caymans. I live in the Florida Panhandle by the water so we are glued to the weather channel! Their ratings probably go through the roof in August and September. We have tenative Labor Day plans to get out of here if it heads our way. Hot Dogs on the road! Pray this isn't a storm of mass destruction. So many people in our area are still recovering from Ivan and Dennis. Glad the picture of the hands touched you. I gave Shari a small print at She Speaks of the Walk to Emmaus. Now I find out you two are friends. You may be a part of my Walking by Faith Down Aisle 15 story too. It looks like God is possibly connecting Shari to what I shared with her. She will have to tell you about this crazy woman she met at She Speaks (me) and her story!
Oh...for the working title...
Two Faced...Two faces
Take care and Keep Walking by Faith,
Barbara
I'm so ready to 'Get Real'! I'm looking forward to participating in this study.
Hey, Lisa! I am so excited about doing Lelia's Bible study of your book!! I finshed Ms. Confidence last night! I am going to put it down, as she did, and try to be patient--Is there a Ms. Patience????--until we actually begin!! Yay!
I am so glad that y'all are postponing the trip until later! Will continue to pray for you!!
Love ya,
Susan
And I have that visual of your hands open wide, palms up, saying yes to HIM while standing in your bathroom! Thank you for sharing that with us! :) You are so real!
Lisa,
This might be my second visit to your blog but I am looking forward to spending more time here! I am excited to participate in the study, Behind Those Eyes. I also have a passion for keeping it real, but God is still working on me here. I look forward to what He has to teach me as I join in this study.
Regarding the guessing game...my guess was already submitted by Barbara. I vote with her, I think of Two Faced.
I need to run with gasoline panties on to the bookstore and get this book. The enemy has long beat me up with the "You're not authentic" lie. Everytime I mess up and do something not so godly, he starts in on me. I'm learning to say authentic does not mean perfect!
I'm extremely excited about this study. As far as what the original title was, my guess is "True Beauty"
Yay. I had a pretty positive feeling Lelia was going to do this study. Months ago when the book came out, I had asked her in one of our emails if she would do your book/study. She seemed to be leading that way.
I'm doing the current Lysa study with her so of course I'll do this. I need to run out and get it but I won't be in my gasoline panties. I think I'll just do the ol' online purchase, that way I can stay in my gasoline panties. :-) That was too funny by Mari.
Love,
Paula
I can't wait to dig into your book, Lisa! It has been sitting on my dresser ever since SheSpeaks, taunting me...but I knew we were going to do this study so I made myself wait!
I am so looking forward to spending some time with you between the pages!
Since I have the book and have read most of it, I might just join in. Now, as to the original title...I'm afraid the creative juices have dwindled for the day. Sorry about your weekend. Enjoy some time of rest.
peace~elaine
Oh Lisa - your writing is so genuine! How it thrills my heart to 'see' your authenticity. I have played a game of "hide and seek" for so long, and it's only been within the past couple of years that I have responded to God's call of "Olly-olly-oxen-free", "Come out, come out wherever you are". I know He has seen me all the time, but like Adam in the garden, the Lord wanted me to acknowledge what I was doing and come back to Him.
If someone had asked me what I wanted most in life, my answer without any hesitation would have been to be found. I was suffocating. I longed to be loved. Loved just the way I was, without having to jump through any hoops. Without having to be the perfect wife, mother, daughter, friend, employee, Bible Study leader. These were demands that I had placed largely on myself from a very early age. The tremendous pressure to perform. Everything I was doing was to continue to maintain an image of who I felt everyone perceived me to be.
I felt like those actors who are continually cast for similar roles because once they appear a certain way, that’s what is expected of them, while all along it’s been a performance, it’s not who they really are inside.
The Lord has called me to drop my guards, remove the mask and abandon Chrisitan camouflage. Trying to appear 'perfect' was exhausting, while being 'real' is freeing!
Your book sounds like it would be the song of my heart, and I will be looking for it at our local Christian bookstore.
Thanks for the comment you left on my blog as well. It was a delight to hear from you.
Blessings,
Joy
PS. Sorry about your trip cancellation, but thankful you're not flying in uncertain weather.
Hi Lisa,
I have been to your blog before as a lurker... but I wanted to let you know that I will be doing the on-line study with Lelia.
This is such a common issue in the church, or at least I think so. I am all about being real. Like Lelia stated on her blog that doesn't mean that I tell all, but I believe with my whole heart that God can't use us when we are pretending... only when others can see our weaknesses and His strength.
I can't wait to start this study.
Lynn
Email sent...get prepared...its pretty lengthy...HA! A brain/heart dump and your were the lucky winner today...sorry!
This is a wonderful post. I would really like to get involved with this online bible study. Could you give me a link, I didn't see one and I don't the lady dong it. Thank you so much
jillmeadors@yahoo.com
I have seen your book in our local bookstore and have thought about reading it.
Well,it will no longer be just a thought,I will be joining Lelia on-line blog study.
Not sure what God wants to reveal to me but I'm willing to see it through His eyes.
I enjoy reading you blog,
Tammy
Hey ladies!
I am so thrilled at your excitement over the book! And I have to say, I have never heard the phrase "gasoline panties" before, but it may be the funniest thing I've ever heard!!! :) Thanks for the great laugh, Mari!
I am praying that God will use this study to impact many lives for His kingdom...including yours!
Much love to you,
Lisa :)
Lisa,
I am going to try to join in on this one... if I can manage to scrape enough together to get the book.
I know that I need something to keep my mind thinking and growing and moving towards God. I finished one online study this summer... and though there is one that is starting at our church that I really want to do, because of time conflicts, it just won't work out.
After the things that I have been dealing with the past couple of weeks, I NEED this.
Thank you (and Lelia) for offering this, and I will do everything I can to get a book and join in.
God bless,
Heather
Hello Lisa,
Did I send it to the correct email address?...I used the one I found on your website (Lisa Whittle.com)
Nichole
I sent it...hope it find it's way!
Thank you!
Hey Lisa, our moving van arrives tonight so I've been busy with a move to Austin---Isaiah 43--He is doing something new in me and it started with friends sharing the impact I made on them (not a good one either).
Is your book title Get Real? Or, Honest Truth or I don't have a clue, you're pretty clever! Look forward to checking out the online study. Sure do love you---God sed you in a very dark place for me
I'm in.
It's funny...Earlier today, I noticed your book on someone's "Books I'm Reading" list. I went to amazon to see about it and placed it in my shopping cart. I got distracted with screaming kids doing wrestling moves on each other in the other room and didn't get it ordered. Now that all the WWF wannabees are in bed, I have returned to the computer only to discover that a study is in the plans for the very same book I had placed in my cart earlier today.
So...I just went back to amazon and completed my order. I'm really looking forward to the truths you will share through the book. I need to be free to be real.
Looking forward to getting to know you and others, Lee
Naked truth is my guess
I would like to receive more information on how to become a part of the study. Can you tell me how?
Valerie...
Just go to www.leliachealey.blogspot.com and let her know you're interested. The study starts on Sept. 23.
Thanks for the interest!
Lisa :)
Could the title have been "The Eyes Have It" ?
Hello! I'm new to the blog world but have enjoyed reading Lelia's blog and those of her friends' - which led me to yours! I saw your book posted on her page and wanted to take a closer look at it. Looks awesome!
My guess for your original title is "Cover Girl" .....
Thanks for being a blessing!
~Heather
Oh my,I have the Holy Ghost chills reading about your book!
My sweet friend Christy (from Between Here and Home) is sending me the book so I can participate.
I'm so amazed at how God works. I've been praying...desiring to be in a Bible Study, and this door has opened!!
I'm over joyed, and please know, I'll be using your quote:“the truth may initially hurt, but the truth may be the best thing that has ever happened to you.”
blessings,
Kim~
Hi,
Stopping by to check out your book!
I'm thrilled to begin the bible study, and have been participating in Lelia's current online study.
I'm "Ready to get Real."
Hugs,
Lea
From thee Potting shed
Super excited, I'm all signed up.
Carol
Lisa,
I joined the study at Lelia's blog to have a Bible study to do while I'm sort of "out of commission" with an illness and the effects of the medication....
HOWEVER, I got the book and looked on the back cover and I see that you lived in my hometown!!!
You must have lived in Lynchburg, VA, where I was born and lived for 38 years of my life if you graduated from Liberty!
I haven't lived in the "burg" since 1998, but I have family and friends I visit there.
Tons of my friends graduated from there or went there.
What years were you in school? Have you seen it since Dr. Falwell passed away and all of the new buildings are in place?
I was blown away with it all the last time I was there.
Sorry so long! I am excited about this Bible Study...
Can't wait,
Blessings,
Teri
Post a Comment