1)In the midst of real life with real issues and real struggles, God is gracious to give us beautiful moments to enjoy.
2)My husband is a really good sport.
I’ll get back to number one in a minute, but since I know you are waiting with baited breath to see my husband in a reindeer costume, I won’t make you wait any longer. I think you’ll agree with my point number two after seeing this picture…
My cute hubby, a.k.a. Cupid, is pictured here on the right with his friend and co-hort, Mike (a.k.a. Comet), at our 2nd annual Whittle Class Christmas Party. These two are notorious for showing up in costume, no matter what our class event is. Last year, they appeared as Santa and his favorite elf. Before I show the picture to remind you, let me add here, unequivocally, that grown men should never, ever wear tights or beaded tunics. Ever.

But back to the reindeer costume. My girlfriend (Comet’s wife) and I nearly wet our pants while we were making the costumes. I’m afraid I may need some counseling for how much pleasure I took in pinning a spraypainted swiffer pad to the back of the boy's pants to serve as the “tail.”

Yes, my hubby is a good sport. He may drive me nuts with his lame attempt at rapping and he might be the biggest procrastinator I have ever met, but anyone who lets his wife dress him up in women’s brown stretch pants and reindeer headgear is a good man. Or at least, a man with a really healthy self-esteem who knows how not to take himself too seriously and have a good time. He is also the fearless leader of our nearly 200 member class and he brings the Word to us every week in a dynamic and relevant way! (I’m grateful to say, not in a reindeer costume, though.) Can you tell I’m a fan? :)
But enough about number two.
Last weekend I also learned something else. Well, not really learned, as it was something I already knew. And that is, that in the midst of life and all its struggles, God reminded me of how very good He is to give us those little “nuggets” to enjoy.
This was one of those such nuggets.
Last Saturday was our 4th annual trip to the mountains to chop down a Christmas tree. I have to admit that the pragmatist in me resists this tradition every year when it rolls around. But while both my husband and I are tempted to go two miles down the road and buy a pre-cut tree for our family to enjoy, our children’s joy in this special yearly tradition keeps us paying the gas money, driving the 4-hour round trip and risking life and limb to climb with a saw and a stick in search of the perfect tree.
But the fun doesn’t stop there.
As has been our tradition for the past 4 years, “Comet” and his family always go along with us. For the past two years we have rented a van and ridden together to ensure the full Griswold experience. And this year was no exception. On Saturday morning we all piled into a 15-passenger van and set out on our tree chopping excursion. 4 adults, 7 kids and 2 small dogs.
We knew it would be fun. We knew it would be loud. We knew it would cost more than we should spend, in both time and money. But we knew it would be well worth it, just for the experience.
What we didn’t know is that just as we would make our way up the mountain, a light dusting of snow would appear and cover the road beneath us. It’s presence incited lots of “oohs” and “aahs” from the kids, and a few from us, as well.
And as I got to the top of the mountain and looked down around me at all the beauty my eyes could behold, I felt really grateful for the moment. 7 kids swirling around. 2 dogs sniffing their surroundings. Great friends. Majestic trees. A borrowed hat and gloves to keep my hands warm. A light dusting of snow to quite literally cap it all off.
In that moment, I didn’t forget that the mortgage was due and that life is not perfect. Nor did I forget that the pressure to sell more books and speak more places awaited me at home, as did the three loads of laundry sitting on my laundry room floor. But I did feel grateful to God for those moments in life that He gives to bring us pleasure and joy, despite all the rest.
The simple reprieves. A quiet pause. A moment to exhale or maybe one to take it all in. Reasons to be grateful in a very temporary world that He has dropped us in for a little while. Beautiful moments in life to enjoy.
On this particular day, it was with 1 "reindeer-ish" husband, 3 irresistable offspring, and a really amazing view.





12 comments:
Let me first say---praying for Kris Eph 1:17 that he would know this very day the immeasurable greatness of God's power just toward him.
You captured the beauty of your moment in a still place on a countryside because there is a still place in your heart to go there.
Thank you for reminding me to pause. I love you.
What wonderful moments God gives us.. Your family is beautiful! And your husband is obviously very secure in himself! My dad was always that way.. doing skits that mom made funny costumes for.. It's a hoot! Glad you had a few of "those" moments.
Merry Christmas Whittle Family!
Lisa,
What a beautiful story and reflection of your heart....to see God's blessings and abundance amidst the chaos of life. What a blessing He gave you to push forward on a tradition that causes hesitation and to see His glory amongst the "normal".
It sounds like you had an amazing day. I think He'd be well pleased that you spend the time, money, and left the laundry behind to enjoy HIM this day.
You are indeed blessed with a wonderful hubby...you have a deer--dear--of a husband. hehe
Love ya,
Paula
Come see me when you can. Miss you!
Beautiful picture. It sounds like you had fun.
Hope you are having a great day!
Lisa,
Love your blog! The mountain view is incredible. That trip is so much fun.
Well said....and the pic of your family is definately a keeper!
Got my redbird on my tree last night...thought of you.
What a beautiful family photo. You guys look great.
God does make the most amazing landscapes. Sounds like a memoriable day. Love the costumes too, yes your husband is a very good sport.
Just to let you know Lisa I finally posted Chpt 9 on my blog on Forgiveness. And while I was shopping last Friday night at the Christian book store here in San Jose, CA I saw your book. There were two young women probably 20's, but who knows. They were looking for a book for a women's study. I couldn't let them go without recomending your book to them, and your blog. I shared with them how it has impacted me, and told them to check it out.
Praying for Kris and family, and as always you.
xo Carol
Treasured memories. So worth the walk.
Merry Christmas, Lisa. May God's rest be your portion this week.
peace~elaine
What a lovely picture you painted with your story! We so have to stop and smell the roses when God pricks our senses.
Your family is beautiful, and your Husband...?... hilarious!!!
Post a Comment