Monday, December 1, 2008

His Gift to a Humpty Dumpty like Me

Well, another Thanksgiving has come and gone.
Black Friday has, too.
And now, 24 days until Christmas.

I don’t know about you, but I am really feeling the holiday buzz this year. And I am determined – maybe more than ever before -- to remember what the season is really all about!

So when I came across this passage over the weekend, I knew it was a gentle reminder from Him to help me in my desire to “keep it real” over Christmas.

(A word of caution before you read it…read it slowly and soak it in. You may even need to re-read a few times. It’s REALLY that good. )

“Why is everyone hungry for more?
‘More, more,’ they say. ‘More, more.’
I have God's more-than-enough,
more joy in one ordinary day than they get in all their shopping sprees.
At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep,
for you, God, have put my life back together.”
Psalm 4:6-8 (The Message)

No commentary needed.

This beautiful passage speaks for itself.

Needless to say, I'll be adding a new tradition to the others this year: reading Psalm 4:6-8 for the next 24 days and thinking about...

...God's more than enough.

...more joy in one ordinary day than in all the shopping sprees.

...sound sleep.

...Him putting my Humpty Dumpty self back together again.


Wanna join me?

post signature

17 comments:

On Purpose said...

His word to His daughters is SO perfect and precious to me! Thank you for sharing it with us today! May I truly refect that HE is more than enough for me!

Amy L Brooke said...

Beautifully put. Everyone does glamor for more and more but God is more than enough. You are right about that. And the best part is that if we ask He will keep giving us more and more himself.

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

We live in a world of "take-take-take" but God want us to "give-give-give" and that is where our joy comes from this holiday season!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Vickie said...

This is so in keeping with my thoughts. I was just telling my daughter recently I will do everything this season to celebrate a christian christmas.


that's my plan.
I am tired of the empty, gift-filled christmas.

vickie

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Yes and yes.

More than enough.

peace~elaine

Unknown said...

Despite the fact that my husband's hours have been cut at work, we plan to participate in giving tree at my girls school and at my job. It's a sacrifice, but I can do with a smaller cheaper gift or none at all if it means a needy child will actually get something.

I'm sure some people would think we are crazy, but we've been blessed. Despite our financial downturn at this time, there are others in worse shape than we are. We can share out of the abundance of what we do still have, which is more than the people to which we are giving. We are blessed so we will bless others.

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Christmas is a wonderful time of the year...especially if you can see the true meaning through all of the glitter and glam it has become. I feel truly blessed to know what the season is all about. I do want you to know that I am picking back up Behind Those Eyes...even though I dropped out after Ms. Happiness. I really needed Ms. Spirituality tonight...and God moves just right on time.

Many Blessings this Holiday and throught the end of this year and the New Year.

Leaon Mary said...

I just printed that Lisa!
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Lea

Mary R Snyder said...

Great post! I'm in! More than enough. I'm sharing that with my Bible study girls this week.

We're going to catch up soon. I want to hear all that's happening in your world! And share what's happening in mine

LeeBird3 said...

I just started reading "Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free" and one of the lies about God I have come to believe is that God is not enough. Thank you for these verses that I can meditate upon so I can trade the lie for TRUTH! I honestly want God's approval, God's provision, and God's attention to be enough for me.

Loving you bunches, Bird

Lelia Chealey said...

Needed to read that & I will read it again and again during our season to celebrate Him.
love you
Lelia

Heather - On the Road... said...

Oh Lisa,
thank you for this.... if you pop over to my sight you will see that I am trying to do my version of an advent calendar this year... I call it the Advent of Joy. I have done the first two days... need to come up with a post for tomorrow. I think I am going to use this scripture because it just... well, it just speaks to where I am at.

Yes, this post was simple, straight forward, and straight talking, and I needed it.
Thank you!
Love you,
Heather

Laura said...

Amen, and Amen! I pray your Advent is filled with precious anticipation, friend. You are a blessing to me.

Carol said...

Lisa,

This is perfect I'm going to share it with my family. I've been unable to think of things I want for Christmas, becuase God has given me so much.

My husband and I want to give a gift to Jesus, we are going to give him letters under our tree to give him our cares, woes, legalisims, and other things and concerns of our hearts that we have not requlinshed to God.

I will join you in the reading of this Psalm every day.

Unknown said...

Lisa, stop by my blog. I have a little something for you!

Yolanda said...

Oh, how I rejoice and love that God has put my life back together after I nearly destroyed it.

http://yolandarogers.blogspot.com/2008/11/thankful-for-gods-redemption-08.html

Lovingly,
Yolanda

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Miss you. Hope all is well. Happy weekend.

peace~elaine