As if PMS, a sinus infection and Thanksgiving dinner at my house this week weren’t stressful enough, my husband and I decided to speed up my impending insanity and adopt a little black fur ball as an early Christmas present for our children. They say she is “man’s best friend” (whoever “they” are), but as of today, I remain unconvinced. Please don't think I'm uncaring, as I grew up dog-less and up until Sunday, had yet to experience the love of being a pet owner. Perhaps my bias comes from the fact I am heavy in the throws of potty training a sweet, precious puppy that prefers my carpet to the great outdoors. Oh, where is the dog whisperer when I need him?
Advice is appreciated. Support and understanding is preferred. :)
So in order to avoid having to don a white straight jacket and reside in a padded room, I have decided to take this week off from blogging. Since I know you support my desire for mental health and well-being, I say "thank you" for the grace as I take a few days off to decompress and bond with our cute little Maggie!
But as we near Thanksgiving Day, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to let you know how much I appreciate you, my bloggy friends, and how thankful I am that God has allowed something I never intended to do in the first place to turn into a most beautiful blessing in my life.
Now I will pray that my experience with said fashionista in the cute pink sweater will turn out the same. :)
Happy Thanksgiving, friends!





21 comments:
Maggie is adorable. There would be no resisting her, bad potty habits or not!!! I hope she comes good soon. And that your sanity will remain intact. Hope your time-out works for you as you need it to... N x
Lisa,
Thank you. Thank you for being real and loving Jesus and sharing that with me.
Thank you for showing us what it looks like to walk it out in front of tons of people who either bless you or criticize you. Life in the spotlight...bless you for taking it on.
You are a beautiful woman of GOD..I am thankful you allow HIM full access to you.
Blessings,
Teri
They do steal your heart in seconds don't they. I'm praying that Maggie begins to like the outdoors better.
No advice. But I do sympathize.
I totally support having a pet. They are good for the mental health -- most of the time!
Have a great Thanksgiving.
Amy
Oh my... that is the cutest little thing I have seen in a while. She will steal your heart before you know it.
Thanks so much for sharing her with us.
I know that we are thankful for you and all the insight that you share with us.
Enjoy your time off and Thanksgiving.
Lynn
Happy Thanksgiving, Lisa :)
My advice is to take her out about every half hour to 45 minutes rain or shine and give her treats when she does her business outside.
When you can't be watching her like a hawk, put her in a small dog kennel...you don't want it to be big because then she'll just "go" in the kennel. If it's small, she won't want to mess up her sleeping spot.
She will yelp and act like you are killing her if you put her in the kennel, but she'll get used to it. Tough love! As soon as she is potty trained, she won't need to be in there.
They have sprays at Petsmart that are doggy deterents...to discourage them from chewing on furniture and tinkling in the same ol' spots. They tend to return to the same spots.
She is so cute! My boys are after me to get a new dog since our two cats had to find alternative living arrangements after they started bringing birds in through the doggy door and de-feathering them all over my house. BLEK!
Happy Thanksgiving Lisa!
Maggie is a cutie! I wanted to thank you too for this blog and for your study and for all the wisdom you share with each post. You have really meant a lot to me this year and I have learned so much from you.
In the P31 devotion today, Rachel talked about listing things you are greatful for (3-5 a day) and you and all the ladies here made my list.
Have a blessed Thanksgiving,
-Karen
ok, well everyone else is being so sweet. i think you're nuts! ha. but i pray you have a fabulous thanksgiving.
oh she is just so cute!!
my prayers are with you--puppies...uuuggghhh so much work!! We found confining the pup as much as possible and lots of trips outside and lots of praise when the deed is done.
It will be so worth it--our dog Oliver has been a blessing to our family.
Potty training and feeding 4 kids was and is enough for me. I'm sure your heart will grown in rich and new ways with the new addition. May God give you the grace and patience accordingly.
Happy Thanksgiving.
peace~elaine
Cute! Yes, definitely take time to prepare for Thanksgiving. Enjoy your time away & love on that cute little puppy.
Love you & am so thankful for you.
Lelia
Happy Thanksgiving Sister, I love you.
Hey Lisa,
MAGGIE IS GORGEOUS! AWWWW just look into those eyes!
Well, we have three pembroke welsh corgis that live IN the house with us! ALL three are housebroke! We used dog crates. When we weren't "with" our puppy... we'd put them in the crate. We'd take them "outside" often especially after they sleep or eat... but a SMALL crate otherwise they potty in it. They got so used to their "bed" that if we leave their crate doors open during the day, they'll go to their own beds to sleep!
I'm soooo excited for yall! Congratulations on your new baby! I love her name too!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Lea
Hope you feel better soon!
Hi Lisa,
Many blessings to you and your family this Thanksgiving.
Maggie is a cutie, I also recomend crate training. I've had dogs all my life, and even took on two yes two Rotwhiler puppies at the same time, all trained by using the crates or kennels. Also lots of reinforcement, treats and love.
My current dog came to us abused, and we had to use this method for her because of the situation she came from it took a long time. But now she's awesome.
Take them out after they eat about 10 mins, then when they wake up, and put them in the crate whenever you can't watch them. Be consistent with the door they are to go out, and with your rewards, and they will learn fast.
Enjoy your rest and time with the family.
love,
Carol
She is precious. Another one to buy accessories for? I love the sweater! We actually trained our Lucy Mae to ring a bell when she needs to go out. Go figure. Poor thing lives in a house of psychologists. Maggie will bless you beyond measure, and the season of potty training will pass!
I miss you, friend! I pray your Thanksgiving is filled with precious moments and His presence.
Love,
Laura
No advice from me, just lots of hugs and understanding. We've had two puppies in the last two years. Let me just say, this too shall pass.
Too, too precious! I understand your "pain" sweet friend! When we adopted Scarlette O'Hara--same scenerio! Why do those precious little 'ol things like to go pottie on the rugs instead of the hardwoods? Another one of the questions without answers!
Hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving--and hope you felt better!
Love ya,
Susan
That sweet fashionista looks like my darling malti-poo-fashionista! I am a hound fan to the bone, but my little fashionista nearly did me in for about the first six-months. BUT, now she is the apple of my eye and brings me more joy than I ever could have fathomed!
Hang in there ♥
tammie
That is an adorable picture!!! If you hang in there with the puppy training...your sanity WILL come back!!!! Just don't give in to her cuteness!!!! Be consistent...every 30 to 45 minutes and treats when she does go. We crate trained our dog and as far as I'm concerned...it's the ONLY way to go!! Our mini schnauzer is SO good now...she goes to the door to tell us she has to go outside now!! It's all about discipline on YOUR part right now! **Sigh** seems like that discipline word is always sneaking it's head around!! Oh well...have a great week!!! I hope your cute little puppy trains fast!!!
Blessings,
Buffi
I have no advice becasue we don't have any pets. But I had to just tell you she is the cutest thing!!
First, she is cute and before you know it she will have you won over to doggie world!
As for advice with potty training...routine, routine, routine - establish one and stick to it...little dogs, little bladders they can't hold it very long. Also, "Nature's Miracle" is the best for those little accidents. Natural enzymes get rid of any lingering reminders.
Post a Comment