You didn’t even notice me today. I’m sure of it. Because if you had, I know you would have sent a smile my way. You’ve done it many times before when I have been in your store.
Standing nearby, you probably thought I was simply printing off pictures at the nifty little Kodak kiosk in front of your register. I was, but that wasn’t all I was doing. I was also watching you.
I watched you smile at every customer you serviced. Some of them, I’m sure, were strangers to you. Others, I could tell, were acquaintances; many of whom had undoubtedly become your friends through frequent stop-ins for a few forgotten necessities. Regardless, you treated them all the same. Warm. Friendly. Accommodating. Important.
I watched as you helped a woman use her debit card in the machine, turning it the right way to make it go in, quickly and quietly, so as not to embarrass her. I watched as you threw your head back and laughed when your co-worker whispered something in your ear that probably wasn’t even all that funny. I watched as you limped over in your signature fashion to Aisle One to retrieve an item for a customer in a hurry, too busy to be bothered with finding something themselves.
Just when I was about to stop watching, she came up to your counter. Frail and elderly, she reeked of smoke…so much so that I at first turned my head to catch a clean breath. The chair that housed her doubled as her shopping cart, with her purchases resting safely between her feet. Her face held more lines than I had seen on anyone, ever before.
Ironically, she came to you, asking for a moisturizer of a specific kind. She wanted to buy it, she said, for comfort, not for vanity, because at her age, who would notice? You smiled and then looked, but didn’t find it. Then you did something you didn’t have to do.
You picked up the phone and dialed a number. It was the Rite Aid across the street, a competitor of your employer. You asked the person on the other end if they had the product, and then you hung up the phone with a satisfied smile.
Yes, they had what she was looking for, you told your customer. Clearly sensing her hesitation, you asked her if she was ok…how she would get there…and if she had a car. But you didn’t stop there.
When she replied that her car was nearly out of gas, you made a suggestion that I was not prepared to hear. You gently, but firmly told her that you were going across the street to get it for her. When she said she was planning to use her debit card for the purchase, you told her that you would pay for the item and she could simply pay you back. Listening to you talk, I almost could not believe my ears. I waited to see if you would really go through with it. As I believed you would, you did. Even though the store was busy and people were waiting. Even though you hadn't yet asked your boss if you could. You didn’t even hesitate.
I have seen and heard a lot of things this holiday season. A busy shopper accidentally bumping into a woman standing too close. A baby crying, tired and anxious from all the over stimulation of seasonal hustle and bustle. The familiar sounds of Christmas carols and bell ringers from the Salvation Army. The excited child giggling with her friend, waiting in line to sit on Santa’s lap and make her requests.
But what I saw and heard today was among the sweetest of all Christmas sounds. It was the sight of a woman who cared. It was the sound of a woman who served. It was the picture of what “loving your neighbor” looks like. It was a reminder to me that not everyone in the world is a taker…there is such thing as customer service…and not everyone just looks out for #1.
I came to your store to finish up my Christmas shopping. But what I got when I came was much more meaningful than any gift I could buy, wrap and place under my tree.
I got to see love, in action. Care, in motion. Concern, in full bloom.
You could have stopped being accommodating at any point. And even then, you would have still been a nice person who did her job well. But instead, you chose to love, care and concern yourself with a person who was in need. You saw that need and responded. You went above and beyond what was written in your employee handbook.
And all the while, a girl who was printing off pictures at the nifty little kiosk in front of your register was watching. You weren’t trying to impress me. And really, you didn’t. Instead, you did something much more significant.
Marcia, you blessed me.
And so, today, I say thank you. Thank you for getting involved in a life. Caring for a stranger. And reminding me that love is much more sweet when you give it away.
Now may God bless you, Christmas angel. He was watching, too.





17 comments:
What a precious moment. Merry Christmas from Jesus!
Thank you for letting all who read this today see Christ. May this beautiful example of a Christmas Angel, encourage us to go and do likewise. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all who read this today, responded like Marcia and went that extra mile - afterall, isn't that what God did in sending His son? Marcia left her store and went to another to help one person. God left His home in glory and came to earth for His love of even just one person.
Looking for opportunities to give His love away today,
Joy
I love to see Him working...I love to see where He works, how He works and who He works through. It just tickles me to no end. Thank you SO much for sharing this beautiful example of Him working!
Beautifully written. Beautifully lived.
I never cease to be amazed at his presence in our mundane and routine. Jesus is alive and well and breathing in our midst, even as we are unaware.
Thank God for his angels and his tender spirit, living in us each one.
Merry Christmas, Lisa.
peace~elaine
FABULOUS! Love this. We all need to be more like Marcia. Hope you are truly giving that letter to her.
Merry Christmas,
Sheryl
Beautiful friend!!! the way you pen things is extrodinary! It blessed me. I must say that living in a small small town such as Carmi, I get to see these kinds of things you just encountered very often. It is so nice... I can finally see that!! I love you Merry Christmas!!
What a truly wonderful blessing. Oh to be so kind and giving in the midst of chaos...to be a true example of Christ as this is exactly what Christ would've done.
I will cherish this.
Love you,
Paula
Wow!
My friend I really needed to hear that. At a time when even Christian bookstores are telling their employees to skip talking to people and keep the regiter going! Amen to this girl!
May God reward Her abundantly!
Thank you for sharing!
Pamela
Lisa..thanks so much for the wonderful reminder of how we have many opportunities throughout our days to demonstrate the love of Jesus to those that come into our paths... we pray you and Scott and your family will have a very blessed Christmas! Pam and Greg
Great story, thank you so much for sharing. Lisa, I wanted to tell you this has been the most emotional Christmas week ever for me and that's been a good thing. Really focusing on the spiritual side of things and have stayed focused on that better than years past. Anyway because of that God is really speaking to me and working in and thru me and I honestly believe your book has helped prepare me for what is taking place in my life right now and for that I thank you! Your words were a gift that touched my life, so maybe there's another Christmas angel out there!!
Blessings,
Jill
What a wonderful blessing! Thank you so much for sharing this story.
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
Thank-you for sharing a Christmas Angel's story...it truly touched my heart :)
Wow. May we all strive to be like her.
Merry christmas Lisa (I know..a day or two late). The journey of this past year has been spiritually incredible and your book with our blog bible study was the icing on the cake for me. Thank you!!!
In His Graces~Pamela
Hope your Christmas was awesome. I'm resting for a few days before storing the mayhem away for another year.
Just popping in to say hi.
peace~elaine
What a very special lady. Must say this: it takes a special one to notice a special one! He gave you eyes to see, Lisa...
Praying your holiday was precious.
:)Laura
Lisa...I have been so bogged down I haven't visited many in a while. Life. As it were. But girl, when I popped over here to "find" something I had read before---instead---I found this post. AND saw what you saw. Love in action. What He desires in us all. I loved this. Have a blessed week in Him!
Wow! That was an Amazing Story, Beautifully Told! You are such a talented writer Lisa!
Reading this so reminded me of my Dear & Precious Mother, your Grandmother. The person you described is Exactly what Mom would've been "caught" doing! She was ALWAYS going out of her way to help others in need! She was happiest when she was able to give! Thanks!
Post a Comment