Monday, April 26, 2010

Letting Go of Goodbye

So, I wrote about goodbyes this week over at SHE SEEKS. Some of you may have come from there. Others may want to pop over after finishing this blog.

It’s not a topic I love, but it is a topic that is important. I mean, we can pretend that life is not full of goodbyes, but at some point we understand that it is…and we learn to deal with it.

I don’t love goodbyes (most of the time), but I have come to accept them as a part of my life, for the rest of my life.

I won’t rehash what I’ve already written about goodbyes HERE, but what I will say is that it seems that when we don’t practice acceptance of this life reality, a kind of clinging-thing goes on in our heart. Left alone, that clinging-thing can turn into a real spirit of defensiveness where we shy away from investing in people and things we feel we may someday lose.

We feel that the risk may be too high to fully give our heart to something we don’t know the outcome of…so we hold back just enough to preserve it.

But in the process, we don’t get the full experience of life, which includes love, loss, and often…letting go.

I encourage you today to resist the urge toward heart preservation if it means you don’t take a risk to love big, dream big or fully invest. If the time comes for you to say goodbye to that love, dream or investment, you can do so knowing it wasn’t because you didn’t give it all you could.

And you can do so knowing that clinging to anything but Jesus never really works, anyway. It is exactly the way this life thing is supposed to be.

post signature

2 comments:

Lelia Chealey said...

I haven't been able to read many blogs, but when I do I always come here. And of course, I'm never disappointed. Heading to She Seeks now...
love you Sister!!
Lelia

prashant said...

Thank you for sharing these thoughts.
Banner Advertising Network India