Monday, August 2, 2010

Confession of a Happy Misfit

If I told you that I don’t usually do what people tell me to do, that wouldn’t be a shocking confession. Most of you who follow my writing know that already.

But other things may come as a surprise to you. Like the fact that I am not as confident as you may think. And I rarely feel like I fit in, most anywhere.

I can play well with others (I’m a former pastor’s daughter, remember?), but I really don’t thrive inside circles you might expect. I don’t like to conform. I like to surprise people who assume I’m one way and find out I’m another. I always root for the underdog because usually, it’s me. If you tell me I can’t do something, I will die trying to prove you wrong.

I won’t tell you that there haven’t been moments that I saw this personality thing of mine as a huge hindrance. Believe me when I admit that I spent multiple years of my life wishing I could just be like everyone else: keep my mouth shut and play along. But somewhere along the way I figured out that my best option was to continue to be myself, even if that meant that I would often find myself in places I didn’t quite fit.

The thing is, it’s often better not to.

Fitting in many times means to say yes to things you really should reject. It can mean that you may walk away from group settings or packaged conversations with people whose main purpose is to just fit in, feeling compromised in some way. It's those times that you find yourself laughing about things you don't think are very funny...talking about things you don't really care about...hoping no one will notice that you are about to jump out of your very own skin.

The truth is: people that fit in may become more popular, but they never become more effective.

The happy misfits are the ones that have a shot at really making a difference, no matter what the popular crowd may say.

Join the team. If Jesus went against popular thought, so can you.

post signature

4 comments:

Heather Conrad said...

Love this! Love the honesty! Love the truth! Wish you rest today... by the way, I just converted to wordpress. I think you'll like it, gives you more options. His words are the most important thing anyway, maybe His message can be conveyed to reach even more...the God-sized reach :)

Pat said...

I Love you so much beautiful, beautiful lady!! It was great to hug on you this weekend. I pray that new dreams were born and old dreams were encouraged along :)
You just bless me,
Pat

Sharon Sloan said...

Lisa: Amen sista -- cheering for the underdog! Me too! I often feel like a misfit and an underdog as well. However, I have asked the Lord to use that for His purposes and glory and to make me sensitive to those around me who may feel like a misfit, too. My favorite part of SS this past weekend was asking the Lord at each meal to sit me where He wanted me...and especially with someone else who felt like a misfit or underdog. :) He is so good.

Hugs,
Sharon

Dionna said...

I'm loving your blog! This is a great post and I resonate with it a lot. :) I don't like to conform, but like most people want to feel accepted. But usually my gut instinct wins out - even if that means I feel a little like I'm on the outside.