Do I think one can get to a point where they are in a better spiritual place than they have ever been? Yes. In many ways, that is how I would describe my current spiritual status.
But at a certain point, comfort stifles growth. Sadly, it is the existence of many believers to enjoy long, extended periods of spiritual immobility.
I’ve watched people become prideful, bitter, self-focused and/or flat out bored because somewhere along the way they have decided that serving God needs to be on their terms, which narrows their options in the Kingdom exponentially.
I’ve been there, too.
But the more I get to know God, the more I recognize the ways in which I fail to be like Him. It is exactly as Romans 3:20b says, “For the more we know God’s law, the clearer it becomes that we aren’t obeying it.” Personalizing this truth doesn’t depress me (though it does convict me)…instead it keeps me in a place of willingness to dive deeper, go farther with God than I ever thought I could -- be better tomorrow than I was today by praying harder than ever to emulate His character.
I am no more capable of this than anyone else. In fact, I’m a woman of more reservations, failures and inadequacies than you may know.
But I want to improve. I want to be more like Christ. If desire counts for anything, I’m at least on the field, ready to play.
Yet I know that where I am is not where I need to be. It’s better than where I’ve been. But that’s not enough to hang the rest of my life on.
I acknowledge that comfortable is the popular way to live. It colors how we shop for clothes, furniture and churches. It is the way we rate our friendships.
But God doesn’t call us to stop with what we did yesterday or how many years we’ve done service in His Kingdom. As the Creator of our talents, He needs not be convinced of things we could be capable to do. No one desires more than He does to see believers willing to rise to their potential. The truth is...
Knowing God breeds desire to be more like Him.
Loving God breeds desire to live life better.
And far less comfortable.





9 comments:
You challenge me with these words, Lisa. I always think I want comfortable, but our good God wants more. Holiness demands it. I want to get to the end of me to sell out to Him but when tested, I sell short of turning it all over. More of Thee, Lord, less of me.
Thanks for the good reminder this morning. Hope you're enjoying these hot August days.
My husband and I are in a season of asking...are we too comfortable? And we sit and wait for our 'next assignment'!!
I think I get what you are saying Lisa....I know for me, I am at more peace though, and because of the nature of what peace is and what it does-yes, I am more comfortable. I can accept where I am today, in all its authenticity and not look ahead at where anyone, including myself- thinks I should be. IMO, while God does not OK sin, He knows we will and pre-knows our falls with bitterness, anger, self-focusing etc...I lately am trying not to know for sure where another person is at, even if they are self-focused, because it is not known to us what goes on between that person and God...never a goal, always a process (because the goal will never totally be reached).
JMO...these arents set in stone thoughts, just where I am at with it for me :)
Thanks for your thoughts, friends. :)
I appreciate where you are, "authentically me." I agree that peace comes when you are at a place of comfort with God and yourself. To me, this is the absolute best place in the world to be. I look at it as the place where I can lay my head on the pillow at night and know that I am right with my Creator. Period, and end of story.
I also agree that you can't get caught up in being dissatisfied with your life in the sense that you look at others and feel less than or compare yourself to them in some way...or you can't enjoy the relationship with yourself or God.
What I'm talking about here is the reality of many believers, especially ones who have been believers for years. It's a fine line of where you need to land in the area of comfort. God wants us to have peace. But He also expects us to be active in His Kingdom, seeking out ways we can increase our faith. That always starts with more time in His Word. And for me, the more time I spend in His Word the more I am not personally able to rest on the things I have done for Him in the past. I believe a passionate love for God does not allow us to stop short of living to our fullest potential. Many believers are just plain out too comfortable with where they are and use 'peace' as an excuse not to do anything challenging or inconvenient for God.
That is obviously not where you are at all. I want everyone to evaluate for themselves where they are, and to see if what I'm saying is at least something to think about. I just pray I make people think, no matter how they react. I absolutely believe it is up to each person to ask God to show them where they are. I don't know that for anyone but myself.
Thanks, again. Love hearing your thoughts!
Lisa :)
Post a Comment