Trust me when I say: I hate anything that seems contrived, and often, that includes my view of ministry.
I was thinking about this today upon receiving an email from an old and dear friend. Her words touched my heart. They also jolted me back to a bit of spiritual reality, and caused me to remember something I find key in this whole ministry thing…
We can’t forget about people.
I know that some of you will be annoyed that I simplify it this way. It’s a repugnant thing to suggest to our fragile egos that we might (gasp!) possibly forget about anyone. But the very real risk in the rat race of self-promotion is that somewhere along the way, it could be the one thing that causes us to lose touch with our core mission. Not only can it happen, but often, it does.
Trust me, I get what has to be done to sell books. I’m just rebel enough to not want to sell my soul doing it.
Not everyone is contrived in this process. I’ve seen more than one ministry leader who has a healthy view of who they are and what they are called to spend their life doing. As a result, their authenticity is felt. The truth is, God doesn’t give a flying flip how many Twitter followers we have. (Even though I’m not too proud to admit that I’d like to have a few more, if I’m being completely honest.) What He wants to know is: have you helped me change someone’s life today by representing me well?
The results of the pursuit of spiritual authenticity are far richer than the pursuit of personal acknowledgment. May that thought be our compass and guide in the mad days of social media gone wild. If necessary, may we go back to the place we started, when our one core desire was simply to show the world Jesus. May we never forget about people, who are infinitely more than just a number to God.
May we help change someone’s life today by representing Him well.





4 comments:
Girl, we are definitely soul sisters. It's like we struggle with the same things at the same time! LOL Here's my blog about this subject just written on July 20...http://leslienease.blogspot.com/2010/07/motives-and-ministry.html
I love your heart - I love you! You are such a blessing - and you're right, we can't forget the people!!
xxoo
Leslie
And as simple as this sounds...the Lord has completely pressed on my heart here lately...."it's not about me...as in Fran." Get over myself and focus on Him through it all.
Blessings!!
Fran
I love your statement, "I’m just rebel enough to not want to sell my soul doing it." It is so true that the ultimate goal is to reach people.
Thank you for bringing that question to the forefront once again. I daily want to make sure that I am representing Him well enough to change someone's life!
Been so blessed by your heart!
Christina
Lisa, spent the better part of the day focusing on this very thing. It's so easy to get caught up in the marketing thing and forget we are called for His glory and serve for His glory. Some days marketing feels like my glory.....
Thanks for making me think.
Post a Comment