Monday, March 24, 2008

Partying like it's Easter and waiting for my surprise!

Yes, I know that it’s technically the day after Easter. But I wanted to share you with a picture of my three awesome creations on their way to church yesterday. Just can’t help myself. With Graham being 10, the cute matchy outfits and suits and ties from the Gap are a thing of the past, sad to say. This year I somehow managed to convince him that real men wear pink and at least pulled off a coordination of colors! :) It’s always a good day with Micah (7) when I can get him to wear dress pants of any kind and when he hasn’t ruined a shirt by wiping his nose with it. And sweet Shae? Well, her original wardrobe plan included a white straw hat and gloves. Apparently, her fashion mood shifted at some point in the middle of the night and she decided that white straw hats and gloves were not cute anymore. She has decided to save them for Christmas, I am told. Clearly, we haven’t had the no white after Labor Day talk yet. Call me crazy, but I think her fashion mood will shift between now and then. I’m holding my breath that it will.

So…ok…I love Easter. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with dressing my kids for church in cute non-matching, yet coordinating outfits (Sans the white hat and gloves).

I love Easter because it is a day to party over my good fortune that Jesus defied death and broke out of the grave and in so doing, gave me a hope like I would not have otherwise had. It’s a day for me to party about the fact that He has done something no one else has ever done or ever will do, separating Him from everyone else in the history of forever. Really, there is nothing in this world I can think of that is better to party about!!

(Insert the sound of those annoying party blow horn things here.) :)

So for the Easter service at church, the pastor brought a beautiful message from Mark about the resurrection. I love to hear this guy preach, and though I have heard 10 gazillion messages on the resurrection, the one he preached today left me with two main thoughts, one I came to myself and the other he presented and I grabbed onto. Since they are so fresh on my mind, I wanted to share them with you…

First…the one I came to myself…

I need to party like it’s Easter everyday from here on out.

It occurred to me while sitting in the service that although it was Easter Sunday, everyday is Easter for the believer. He’s alive, friends, and not just on Easter Sunday! EVERYDAY! Everyday is a day to celebrate the risen Lord. Looking through this lens, it seemed almost odd to me to see the energy and excitement all of us were feeling through the music and message on this Easter anniversary. It was almost as if it was a belated party that we were just now getting around to attending. Jesus is always here…always alive…always present…and always wants you and me to get excited about His story! We don’t have to wait for an Easter service to get our party on, ya’ll.

(Annoying horn sound, again.)

Then…the other that the pastor presented and I grabbed onto…

I need to continue to be surprised by God.

The pastor made this statement, and I really didn’t get it at first. I mean, my first instinct when he said it was to get all spiritual and convince myself that nothing God does surprises me. I can pretend that it’s true, but it’s just not. The truth is, everything God does surprises me. And according to my pastor, that is exactly the way it needs to be.

He said (and I agree – and paraphrase) that when God stops surprising me, I need to check the pulse of my relationship with Him. This thought is so in line with my current favorite quote by author/speaker, Erwin McManus, “You are most fully alive when you are on an adventure with God.” I think sometimes I believe that the scariest life is the one lived in sheer surrender to the will of God, yet in reality, it would be much more scary to never hear a word from Him. In some way I need to always live in a holy terrified state, because that means that the adventure continues and He is still surprising me. The thought made me ask myself, “Well, Lisa…are you? Still being surprised by God?”

As a matter of fact, yes.

He surprised me last week when He prompted me to throw out my “go-to” message about the hard things in life. Wasn’t liking it at the time. Wondered why I felt the pull to move in another direction with less than a month to go when I needed to speak on something that felt familiar and comfortable to me. Now I see it as a divine surprise, and I wonder what He has in store for all of us.

He surprised me a month or so ago when He took me to a church in town to speak to a group of moms. Felt I didn’t have time to go. Thought I was too busy preparing for the other conferences to speak on this day. Now I see it as a divine surprise, as He rocked my socks off in ways I never expected through 25 awesome women.

He surprised me when He led me to write five years ago. Didn’t see the point at the time. Thought it was merely an outlet for a mom of three busy preschoolers to express herself. Now I see it as a divine surprise, as He has taken me to places in my heart I longed to go.

Yep, He is still surprising me. Though I have a feeling He has wanted to surprise me a lot more along the way, if only I had not been too busy trying to convince myself that I didn’t like surprises.

What about you? Still being surprised by God?

If so, good. Then it means your relationship has a pulse and your adventure continues.

I am going on a prayer retreat this coming weekend to the mountains with about 15 of my girlfriends. If I’m honest, I will admit that there is a big part of me that has not wanted to go. Logistically, I have too much to do and too little time to do it in to take off for the weekend. My schedule is complicated, and life is oh-so-busy. But after yesterday’s sermon, I am smelling surprise. It is undoubtedly the scent of my risen God.

Partying like it’s Easter!
Lisa :)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, for years I have found myself and our family not really doing anything special at Easter like a lot of people do. And then it dawned on me...I don't have to just celebrate Christ's resurrection one day a year. My goal is to live it out every day.

Great thought with which I wholeheartedly agree!

Unknown said...

I really loved this post! Good, good, GOOD!

Also, I have three kids too. Two boys and one girl. My daughter is turning six this week, over Christmas break she decided to donate her hair to Locks of Love...but before she got it all cut off she had curls just like your daughters! Seriously, they could have been twins! Awww, don't you just love having two boys and a girl??? I totally do!
I bet if we lived near each other we would have met at the baseball diamond or soccer field!!
Have a great week partying it up like it is Easter!
Also, how was that conference you spoke at in Ohio??? I was praying for you! (I could have gone...it was only like 3 hours from where I live!)
Hope your prayer weekend rocks your world!
Teri

Lisa said...

Teri...
It sounds like we have much in common! How cool. :) Thank you so much for your prayers for the conference. But guess what? It is on April 11-12! You could still come! :) I think it's gonna be a great conference and alot of fun, and and not because I will be there. Lisa Whelchel...Kerri Pomarelli...it's a great line-up. Plus, it's at a resort! What could be better? Grab a girlfriend and come! Would love, love to meet you.

I am gonna stop by your blog today and visit. I need to catch up with you!

Lisa :)

Laura said...

Oh, girl, you have so set yourself up to be delighted by the Lord! You have to tell me what surprises He sends your way on your prayer retreat. I can't wait to hear. I'm so jealous of you, escaping to be with some sweet prayer partners, but I also know how stressful it is to drop everything and go! That's why, I think, the Sabbath was such a sacrifice for the Israelites. In order for them to take a day of rest, the days before and after were even harder!! But, I know God has something amazing in store for you, and I will pray for your time to be sweet and special.
Your babies are beautiful, by the way! I got my nine year old to wear a dress shirt and tie, but the eleven year old started getting all twitchy when he put his on. He told me he didn't think Jesus would care what he wore. Needless to say, he wore his soft cottong long sleeve polo instead of the handsome blue dress shirt I had picked out!
I love you, lady!
Laura

Vonda Skelton said...

What beautiful kids! Makes me a little homesick for those days. But now I get to enjoy grandkids, which is extra special, too!

Hope you have a great time!
Blessings,
Vonda

Amy L Brooke said...

Beautiful. Easter it's self was a glorious surprise for the disciples -- and us. I hope I can continue to be surprised.

Max Lucado wrote somethine once. I can't remember all of it, but it went something like "A God who loves to surprise the socks off of us and be there in the flesh to watch...." That's the gist. I love that image.

Your kiddos are way cute.

I think the whole white after Labor Day lost it's rallying point awhile back. I totally ignore it! Just think, have the world is dressed in white (bright white snowflakes) when "white is out of season."

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

Hey girl - how is it going? I have been praying for your upcoming events! I know you will surprise them because of Him!

If this is the prayer retreat with Bonita - on girl!! You are never going to be the same!! I am so excited for you. I wish I could do it again!! Incredible - awesome - He is going to knock your socks off again!!! Hang on and get ready!!

Love, Leigh

Unknown said...

That is totally funny! I guess I should keep on praying then! As much as I would LOVE to come...I actually have a retreat that weekend. (Not one that I have to minister at, but one I get to GO TO!!!!!) So I am sorry, but I would have if I didn't already have this on the agenda! I believe someday we will meet...I mean, we have to! (Long lost cuz...!)

Hillary said...

I really needed to hear this! I've been realizing lately how little I expect from God. I attribute it to lack of faith. I KNOW my God is full of surprises and it is time I start expecting them!

Cute header, by the way!

Erin said...

(Love your new header!!) I definitely plan to sing a song at the EVBC Conference called "Don't let me lose my wonder." Basically saying exactly what you just said! Can't wait to meet you :)

Jamie said...

Lisa,
I loved this post. These words of yours really jumped out at me; "I think sometimes I believe that the scariest life is the one lived in sheer surrender to the will of God, yet in reality, it would be much more scary to never hear a word from Him." As of late, that has been my prayer, the real cry of my heart, to live a life of complete surrender. I have never been so scared in all my life, friend! I have been so tempted to shrink back, to find the easy way out, but instead I fight, I press on. I am always surprised by my God...He continually amazes me.
Jamie
P.S. Your kids and your new blog header are adorable!

Amy L Brooke said...

Why do both your pictures look so serious/sad now?

Lisa said...

Hey girls!
Thanks for giving me some feedback on my new header. As I've told you before, I am NOT technically saavy, but I can mess around with the computer long enough to come up with something new. I was getting tired of the eyes header, so I decided to change it up. But then I was thinking, like Amy, that I might look too sad in the picture. I think it was meant to be a reflective shot, but with all the joy in my heart for Jesus, I definately don't want to come across as sad!!! So...as you can see...I have changed it, again. Let me know what you think.

Up too late, again, trying to figure this thing out!
Lisa :)

Jodie Wolfe said...

Praying that you get surprised by God in a special way this weekend! :)