As I’ve mentioned before in a blog, I am a Baptist girl. Born and raised in the church. Started attending in utero. Cut my teeth on the pew. I love my heritage and cherish my church. I’m not sure what Jesus thinks about the whole denominational thing, but I’m pretty sure it’s more our idea than it is His. Still, I am a Baptist girl at heart.
But there is one thing that has always puzzled me about Baptists and the Christian community as a whole…
Why is it that we really don’t know what to do with people within our community who are hurting?
In my mind, we usually manage such people in one of two ways. One, we treat them like they have a rare form of TB and need to be quarantined, or two, we pretend that we have amnesia and don’t remember that they have ever existed. It’s as if we don’t want to catch what they have and we think that by pretending we don’t know them, we won’t.
In reality, because we just don’t know what to do with hurting people, often we do nothing, at all. I can only imagine how this must break the very heart of Jesus, who was all about helping, healing, and restoring. I sometimes think that we have a policy in place for everything, but we have no real plan on how to rescue those among us who are drowning and need someone to throw them a life saving device.
But every once in a while, someone steps up with courage and tosses the buoy.
Monty did this for us. We met when we lived in Nashville in the early 2000’s. Monty was always a little unconventional in his ways, which was one of the things both my husband and I loved about him. He didn’t try to be P.C. He wasn’t in it for show. He was (and is:)) a gifted communicator and motivator with a huge heart for people. We used to rib him because of his Assemblies affiliation, and he used to rib us about our Baptist faith. He would tell us that he was probably more Baptist than the Assemblies thought, and we, in turn, admitted that we were probably more Assemblies than our Baptist friends imagined us to be. Either way, we enjoyed the truest form of fellowship amongst Christians and still do, to this day.
Monty has always had a way of getting in my husband’s face. I say this with great affection, as Monty is an incredible mentor and accountability measure for Scott. He is always kind and fair in his approach, but he is also always honest and firm.
So, when my husband lost his job and was out of work for right at 12 months, I knew just who to call. I told Monty about the state my husband was in and that I might need him to get his buoy out and ready in case he might need to throw it to Scott. Scott was really hurting, and he was sinking further and further into feelings of resentment and fear over his long-standing unemployment. Thus far, I had not been successful in my attempts to encourage him in his faith. When I talked, it didn’t even seem as if he heard anything I was saying.
As was in typical Monty fashion, he assured me that he would help. He promised to call back with a plan, and when the phone rang a few hours later, he had one in place. He would be to North Carolina by the weekend.
It didn’t matter that he hadn’t been home in 32 days after speaking in numerous places across the country back-to-back. It made no difference to him that a plane ticket to North Carolina would cost him twice the amount it normally would on such short notice. Monty just heard the need and responded. And he was on my front porch within 3 days.
While I won’t go into all the details of the weekend (this blog would be much too long!), I will tell you that Monty staged a full-on intervention with my husband and me. He had it all planned out and prayed over. He did it with grace. He did it with care. He did it out of love and compassion. And he did it confrontationally, without holding back or fearing rejection. He laid out Scripture. He laid hands on us. He got in our face. And sitting right in the middle of my living room in a rented house with mis-matched furniture, he preached the best sermon I have ever heard in my lifetime.
That night, there was no talk of denomination. There was just a spirit of community between believers and the courage and compassion of one man to see past himself to the needs and hurts of others. Monty threw us a buoy that weekend, and I am convinced that his actions, coupled with the Spirit of God, kept my husband from sinking.
Restoration 101.
I can only imagine how happy Jesus was with what took place that weekend. He is, after all, in the business of restoration. He has always been. He has never minded getting his hands dirty or been afraid to be around the sinful or sorry. And He has never known a person He needed to ignore. In fact, when He walked the earth, He could often be seen with the shady, the soiled and the questionable. And He always, always made a difference in their lives.
He was and is the classic example of a champion buoy-thrower.
So, here’s a shout out to Monty, who looked past himself and responded to a need. Here’s to believers everywhere who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty if that’s what a spiritual intervention requires. And here’s to our great God, who restores all of us by His grace, even when we are shady, soiled, and questionable.
“And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ…will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.” I Peter 5:10
Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
I love this story, Lisa, and the reminder that it's all about reaching out to those who are hurting -- that's how we can show them the face of Jesus. Thank you!
My all time mantra around here is "It is just time." or "It is just money"...basically, you can fill in the blank but honestly, what is this life all about?(Time is given. Money is given. God redeems it all anyway!) If we can't see beyond ourselves, crawl out of our insecurities and place of comfort and reach out, what the heck do we even bother with Christianity?
I realize there are times of grief. There are times when circumstances overwhelm us. There are times when WE are the needy one. I thank my Lord Jesus for the gift of true servants, who have laid down their lives for our family in times of need.
It is not a Baptist thing...it is a sin thing. It's called being self centered. We (the church) are called to be set apart, in every way. (How we spend our time, money, resources and gifts.)
This struck a chord with me. (As if you couldn't tell!) But I believe in these times, we need to be different. That whole barbarian thing. I know you are with me girl.
Monty sounds like the real deal...thank you for sharing this story. We need more Montys in the church!
Wow. Thanks for sharing that story. I was about to say that I will pray for a Monty in my life but realized I had that backwards. I need to pray to be a Monty to others! And of course, some Monty coming back in times of need would be nice too. But first and foremost, I need to care for others that way.
I think sometimes people get overwhelmed because in our society we have a "fix it" mentality. While some things do require hands on fixing, I think that we are often called to sit with others in their pain and be that buoy until they are stronger. But sitting is not part of our culture. We need to relearn how to take time for each other.
Blessings.
Amy
Great post! Thanks so much for sharing that story. Amen and amen to everything Teri said. It is my hope and prayer that I could be a buoy-thrower to someone in need.
Jamie
What a great post! I know I could stand to be a little more like Monty and a little less PC! Or to be real honest, I could stand to be a LOT less selfish!
Hey Lisa, I've been reading for a while now and have meaning to say hello, for some reason just never did! I go to HGBC too and my kids go there too, I just thought this was a GREAT post! You are such a gifted writer and I just loved reading this story. God is so good through those times of restoration isn't he!! Take care!
Nicki
GIRLFRIEND!!! LOVE this post! I can tell you that I've also been in a place where people thought I had the Bubonic plague and it stinks! Not that you want people throwin' pity party's for you, but just a hug now and then would be fine.
Anyway, I have believed for quite some time that this was going to be a year for restoration in so many ways and I LOVE that verse! Thanks so much and you ROCK!
V
Hey girls!
I hear ya out there, sharing my heartbeat.
Teri...I think we are on the perpetual same page, for sure. You are #1 with me for telling me about the Barbarian Way -- a book my husband actually had in his library for years that I never got around to reading! You strike me as someone I would love to sit down and pray with!
Awcamp...I love to see your blog name pop up...I will be visiting you soon to see what is going on with you.
Amy...you are so right. We aren't sitters, are we? Man, I need to learn to be spiritually still. Keep reminding me, ok? I always look forward to seeing your smile on that picture! God gave you a great one, by the way.
To my new friend, Jaime...glad you are back. I want to be a buoy-thrower, too.
Cute, cute Hillary...I will come visit you soon. I need to check out what you are writing about these days. Thanks for stopping by!
Nicki...so glad you commented! I know who you are, but we haven't really had the chance to visit. Hope our paths will cross soon so I can get to know you.
Val...girl, you rock my world with your enthusiastic comments. I can feel your personality jump off the page. It's cool to hear from you and know I really know you outside of this blogworld thing. Sister, it's already been a year of restoration for me, and I am praying that it will be for you, and others. Sending a big old hug your way!
You girls bless me. Have I told you that lately?
Love you!
Lisa :)
The "Monty" that God dropped into my life was a counselor and I had never been through counseling before (thought I had worked through all that stuff after 27 years) even though I had experienced severe childhood traumas of abuse, mental illness, alocohol, drugs. Because we were "hurting" over my husband's lost ministry position, no one knew what to do with us. I can say from the depths of my heart that I have found a rest I never knew before and I am alive in ways I have never been. We can be set free! And I have a long way to go but so much hope in my heart! I can see why you have such a heart for moving into the lives of women for His Glory, His story. Lifting people to a better place than where they are, by His Grace. For in the short time I have known you through blogging, you have brought God to me, Lisa. And I can't thank you enough for dealing with the stuff in your own heart. Groaning in this world and advancing the next world, His Kingdom. It is a joy to know you.
Post a Comment