Personally, I am digging the white tux with the matching pink tie and cummerbund. The date, by the way, was an acquaintance of mine from church who I thought was sweet but had only talked to a total of about three times in my life (one of which was to ask him to the prom). I brought him so I would have someone taller than me in the picture, since most of us know that in high school, it’s all about the prom picture with the cute guy. No one cared if you were actually dating them. Needless to say, our night was not made up of brilliant conversation or sweet nothings. It was more like tons of awkward pauses intermixed with a few moments of audible sighs. Not a defining moment in either of our lives, for sure.
My prom wasn’t a disaster, but it wasn’t all that memorable, either. I didn’t get into a fight and break-up with my boyfriend (since I didn’t have one), and I didn’t get drunk and do anything crazy (not that I was Ms. Goody-two-shoes, but it was a Christian school and it was more of a banquet than a prom to begin with). Naw, the worst thing I did on prom night was shun my prom date when he tried to kiss me. Wasn’t into him, I’m afraid. Only for the pictures, remember? :)
So I am happy to report that this May I have the opportunity for a do-over, when our very awesome small group class at church hosts its first annual Second Chance Prom. I am sooooo excited about it, and it looks to be such fun!!! We have a venue…a DJ…and a social committee! Lots of food and fun, and I wish all of you friends could make it! Though the theme is “Blast From the Past” (appropriately), I think I will opt to borrow a gown from someone rather than pull out the pink ruffley number from yesteryear and attempt to zip it. I get a second chance to re-live my prom, only this time, I am taking a very handsome guy who I know quite well, and I can even go with him to a hotel room afterwards and get all “Biblical” and everything. :) Good times!
The more I talk to people about it, the more I realize most people would love to have this opportunity of a second chance at prom. It’s amazing how much all of us have grown and changed since those high school prom days! I know I have…at least in some ways.
In some ways, I haven’t. I am still stubborn like I was back then. I am still not a morning person. I still don’t like being told what to do. And I am still asking God to forgive me for the same sins I found myself falling into back when Madonna gloves were cool. They may now look more 2008, but the core issues remain very 1980's. I am a repeat offender, and God keeps giving me second…and third…and hundredth…chances to get it right. Thankfully.
Not trying to overspirtualize this, ya'll. I do realize that I am talking about the prom here. It's just that I can't think of second chances without thinking about all the chances He's given me.
But I do like the idea of a Second Chance Prom. Something about an opportunity to make it right. I can’t travel back to 1989 and have a do-over with the guy in the white tux, and incidentally, I wouldn’t want to. My new guy and I have much more to talk about. And who wouldn’t with three kids, a mortgage, and nearly 13 years of frozen Stouffer’s Lasagnas under our belt? Lots of history to re-hash while slow dancing to “A Groovy Kind of Love,” I think. Who knows? I might even let him kiss me. :)
Yep, second chances are on my mind today. Had one? Need one? I’d love to hear about yours. Drop me a comment about a second chance you’ve had…and please, give details if it involves parachute pants, taffeta, or Footloose.
Lisa :)





12 comments:
Hi Lisa!
Love the dress! ;)
Oh boy, 2nd chances. Thank God He's a God with enduring love for us.
I think I've had so many do-over moments in my life, I don't even know where to begin!
I'd say how He's restored my broken marriage. I deserved to be handed divorce papers and yet God has shown me much grace through & in my husband.
Thank You Jesus!!
I love coming by here Lisa!
Love ya,
Lelia
Lisa!
This is the second time in a few weeks that I have heard about an adult Prom! I really think I might get the word out and try to plan one in our town! It totally looks like a blast!
I also graduated in 1989! We have the big 2-0 coming up next year! Wow.
You look fabulous in your picture...seriously, from one big-haired-80's girl to another, you rocked the thang!
Thanks for this post!
Teri
okay, this is a fabulous post with a MAH-velous picture. Thanks for the giggle... and the great reminder to remember the second chances He's given us.
It's so easy to forget, but so much more profitable to remember, no?
holy cow - i love it!!! i love the pic and i love the idea!!
praying big time for you my friend!!
expecting 6inches of snow... i am over it!!
love, Leigh
I'm pretty sure your date was sportin' a mullet. Yes? Oh, and I had a pink dress similar to yours (minus the Madonna gloves) in 1989 :)
God gave our marriage a second chance and even through all the pain we endured, I'm so glad we went through it and are where we are now.
A D O R A B L E
Love that pink dress, Lisa,
and the creative streamer decorations.
My 16-year-old son was passing through and said: "is that an 80's wedding?" LOL
Proms and posts like this one bring me straight to
my prom night...
a night where young girls hope for sweet memories that remain.
Not so for me.
I remember my pure white eyelet dress and the debaucle that ensued. I drank til I passed out and was unconscious for over 24 hours.
My fault.
My God breathed life into me.
Gang rape.
Not. My. Fault.
Left on my front porch the next day covered in blood, unconscious. And my beautiful God has made beauty of that tragedy for me. Second chance at life. My story does not define who I am. I am free of the shame of what I did. And, I am free indeed. My God was at my prom though I didn't know HIM then. We are no puppets, but free to choose and sometimes bad things happen. And, He is right here this moment in my life. Never absent. Never missing anything on my behalf. So present. I'm so grateful to HIM. And I hope your second chance prom is alluring to you (Hosea 2:14) for you have so embraced the God Who is. May you dance with HIM and dance with your date as you "do-over"--- so freely, so fully. I'll be dancing in my heart with you guys; dancing a do-over with the God of every chance; and I'll be in a pure white eyelet dress!
you are so great :)
i like the dress ;)
my prom experience was about like yours...junior year i went with a guy who had been my best friend since elementary school, but NO attraction what-so-ever...but it was really fun.
but senior year, i went with about 7 other girls and we were all bored within the first hour. :p i did get nominated for the prom queen thing, but lost to the other abbi (i always thought she spelled her name cooler than me...) and what makes me laugh is i was "dating" (oh brother, there have been some frogs before the price) a guy from church, but i didn't really like him that much, and he went with another girl because he had asked her before we started hanging out. i don't even think i danced with him once!! haha...
i wouldn't go back to that for anything, but a "second chance" experience would be fun :)
(on a more serious side, i HAVE been thinking a lot about second chances (and 3rd, 19th, 38th...) lately...what is that...you are always on my wavelength) ;)
sorry for the novel comment..
email coming soon... :)
just reading through your other comments...
wow ms. bev....WOW..i am humbled to know you and your heart
Love the picture!!! My that is a pink dress! I'm sure you were a hit! I hope you'll post a picture of your Second Chance Prom.
I didn't get a prom! I went to a small Christian school so I had a banquet! Yeah...not the most exciting night of my life!
Girls,
Thank you for such great comments! I love the silly ones...and the serious ones. It looks like you have had some second chances in your life, too! :)
Bev, your honesty is something I've come to appreciate about you. Please know that your words were heard...and felt, and I will be emailing you back about your comment. I just didn't feel I should post what I want to say to you on this blog. It's meant just for you. I love you, Bev.:)
And yes, Cindy...my date surely DID have a mullet. Could there have been a worse hair style in the history of hair? Come to think of it, I believe I had a mullet at one time, too!
And...if anyone wants to borrow the ruffley pink number, let me know. As a bonus, Dyeables are included.
Love you, sisters!
Lisa :)
If everyone only knew what was there to work with. Those pink and blue streamers make the CSOS cafeteria look mighty fine. You look beautiful in your pink dress- and kind of risky with the strapless...such a rebel.:)
You are TOO cute. My prom left a lot to be desired. I actually went 3 times (it was a small school) - twice with guy friends and once by myself with a group of girls.
I would LOVE a do-over with the man I love! How fun!!!!
Post a Comment