Monday, May 19, 2008

Overwhelmed

Overwhelmed, ya’ll.

As I sat in the dark theater, wiping tears from my eyes, I could sense my 10-year old staring at me. I guess I can’t blame him…after all, seeing his mom cry in the middle of a ferocious fight scene must have made him wonder. But he held back his questioning until after the credits ran and we made our way back to the warm car for the drive home. “Mom, why were you crying in the middle of Prince Caspian? It wasn’t a love story or anything! Seriously…it was just a movie!”

Naw…seriously…for me, it wasn’t.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not and have never been a movie reviewer/critic, and I don’t want to start now. I am not blogging today to plug this movie. But I have to tell you, it overwhelmed me. It’s blatantly salvicic message overwhelmed me. I know about the books and of C.S. Lewis’s amazing writing that has truly stood the test of time. (Now that’s some good writing!) But seeing it on-screen, well…overwhelmed me.

I’m not sure what overwhelmed me the most.

Maybe it was the example of childlike faith when Lucy sees Aslan and the others don’t. Later in the movie when she is asked by her sibling why they didn’t see Aslan and she did she honestly replies, “Maybe you didn’t really want to.” Makes me stop and ask myself… Do I not see and hear from God more often because I really don’t want to?

Maybe I’m overwhelmed by the scene where the impressionable prince starts thinking there is a “better way” to do things and messes everything up. Oh, how I can relate. I could write the script on messing things up. If only I would stick to HIS plan.

Maybe I’m overwhelmed by the intense moment when both the Prince and Peter are nearly persuaded to join hands with the evil white witch, thinking she has the power they are looking for when Aslan doesn’t show up when they think he should. How many times do I get impatient, waiting on God to show up when I want Him to? And how many times am I tempted to search for a “quick fix” to my problems?

Maybe I’m overwhelmed by the symbolism of the scrappy army of Narnian misfits that is up against the polished, shiny mass army of men, coming to get them. I feel so scrappy as I parent upstream in this influential, yet Godless society. I feel so scrappy everyday as I try to battle against my own powerful flesh and sinfulness.

I’m overwhelmed by so many things I saw in this movie. And I relate to so many of them.

In the movie, when things start looking really, really bad for the scrappy Narnians, Aslan shows up. In my life, Jesus shows up to help scrappy little old me in my “no way out” moments on the journey. (And incidentally, every other moment on my journey, too.)

In the movie, Aslan shows up to defeat the evil army, but not in the way that is expected. He doesn’t pull out a bag of normal lion-like tricks. He’s not lunging. Not swiping. Not attacking. But rather…roaring.

Why? Because…he can. Because it works.

He’s just that powerful.

And when he lets out that beastly roar to end all roars, as the water begins to stir and churn and agitate, his power is, well, quite apparent. There is no more question as to who he is or what he can do.

Kinda reminds me of a passage in Scripture found in the beautiful Psalm of David about my Lion of Judah… “Praise the Lord from the earth, you creatures of the ocean depths, fire and hail, snow and storm, wind and weather that OBEY HIM…” (148:7-8)

Can't you just hear the roar in that verse?

Through all the symbolism in this awesome movie, I think the thing I am the most overwhelmed by is the reminder of His power by the power displayed by Aslan. I am overwhelmed by the thought that His command sends water into a state of agitation, and can be stilled just as quickly as it was stirred up. As I sat in the back of the movie theater watching this movie with my children, I literally turned my palms up to the Lord and WORSHIPPED Him.

Now THAT’S a good movie. :)

But that's an even better Holy God.

I couldn’t help but think of the studio execs who made this movie. They are probably already counting their money, so proud of themselves for their “genius” behind the script and the casting and the marketing and the partnerships they joined in to make it the box office success it is sure to be. But I could also not help but think about God and how He is getting His message across through studio execs who don’t even realize how specifically they are being used by Him. The thought of Someone powerful enough to do that makes me remember just how powerful He is…

(Soul convicting.)

(Society convincing.)

(Evil conquering.)


…always has been…

(Ground swallowing. Numbers 16)

(Giant dominating. I Samuel 17)

(Water walking. Matthew 14)

(Bush burning. Exodus 3)

(Donkey talking. Numbers 22)


(Death defying. The Gospels)

…and always will be.

(Body healing.)

(Relationship mending.)

(Life saving.)


My Jesus is wise enough to know how to show up when He needs to…always on time, and never needing to call for back-up. His roar is loud enough. His name is powerful enough. His presence is strong enough.

That even the winds and the waves obey Him.

And so do studio execs and 36-year old women in theaters who have no business crying during fight scenes.

Prince Caspian rocked my world.

Jesus always rocks my world.

And He’s still getting His point across.

Lisa

"We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign.” Rev. 11:17

10 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, Lisa! Now I truly cannot wait to go see this movie!! Like you, I love the books, but I am such a visual person. I know I'll be right there with you, wiping my eyes like the sappy mom I am! But it is worth it, isn't it? I love the way you break it down. He is all of those things and more...
Laura

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Oh my goodness!
I am so moved to go run out and see this movie from your rhetoric!
The mantra of Aslan roaring
HAS ME COMPLETELY CAPTIVATED.
Amos 3:4 - does a lion roar when he has no prey??
Amos 3:8 - the lion has roared, who will not fear? the Sovereign LORD has spoken!
Lisa, all I know, is that the lion is roaring in my life and I am disturbed and delighted and overwhelmed with you!
You could have a job writing up movie reviews, but then, you do have a writing job and we all know why!

Kim Heinecke said...

I saw this movie Friday night and I wholeheartedly AGREE...It was a perfect catalyst so some great discussion with my two sons. Aslan's roar is both terrifying and powerfully peaceful at the same time...guess it depends on which "side" you're on.

Marybeth Whalen said...

Oh, I am so excited to see this now... I love that you reviewed it in this way. I am so sappy that I got tears in my eyes just seeing Aslan come on my tv screen for the commercials! I turned my head so my kids couldn't see-- talk about their questions!

Great post-- I loved it!

Kelley said...

I was horrified to sit with a group of moms yesterday who totally dissed the movie because it was so different than the original book. I sat there thinking, "Wait! They're forgetting about all the good messages that this film communicates!"

I must admit, I've never read the book, but I loved Prince Caspian. I actually had many of the same thoughts as you did, as far as the lessons I pulled out of this powerful movie. Loved it!

Jamie said...

Yes, His name is powerful enough! I'm eagerly anticipating watching this movie.

Amy L Brooke said...

I can't wait to see it. I loved reading it, but that was a long time ago. I keep thinking I need to read it again. Thanks for sharing.

His Girl said...

can't even WAIT to see it! fab review!

Anonymous said...

"But that's an even better Holy God."

Amen, amen, and amen.

(I accidentally put this comment on another post :)

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

You made me run right to the theater and I even went by myself cause I found "no takers." Never have done that before. So I had to come back to read your post again and enjoyed it doubly! You captured the poignant parts. I also was so touched when Aslan said to Lucy, "why didn't you come to Me?" It was my beautiful God piercing my heart.

Happy Birthbook Lisa or whatever that's called. How sweet to have a surprise like that! But then again, look who's giving it? Jesus and your hubby!