Monday, June 23, 2008

Hearts and Soles

Good Monday Morning, Friends!

Due to a case of complete fatigue and brain fry, I am temporarily interrupting my “Question” series to bring you a post about my weekend at the SheSpeaks Conference. (Plus, it’s just too cool not to share with you.) Please check back with me on Wednesday, as I will be continuing my “Question” series with another question that has been resting on my heart. But for now…my weekend at SheSpeaks…

I got these shoes at SheSpeaks. It’s kind-of a long story. But I’ll get to that later.

My other kind of “soul” was touched this weekend, ya’ll. I loved the SheSpeaks conference for several reasons. And only one of them had anything at all to do with shoes.

See…though I am not an official member of the P31 Team, I have a deep love for Proverbs 31 Ministries. So when my friend, Executive Director of P31 Ministries, LeAnn Rice, asked me to come and help her with the logistics of the SheSpeaks Conference, I jumped at the chance. Honestly, I was looking for an excuse to be there.

It’s not just because I love the girls who are on the team. But yeah, that is definitely one of the reasons I love the ministry. I have made some of the best friendships with the most amazing women in that ministry over the years, and I am constantly blessed to see how many talented women can actually be in a room together at one time and still get along. It’s just way too cool.

But I know there were people who came to the conference this weekend and saw me scurrying about who wondered who in the world I was and why I was there. Clearly not an attendee, I wasn’t officially one of the “team,” either. (I didn’t have the aqua P31 t-shirt, ya’ll.) I couldn't really stop and explain it them at the time, except for to say that I was helping LeAnn with the logistics of the conference. Which was true. In a way. But there was another very important reason why I was there, too. It is actually tied in to one of my “questions” in the series. But that’s for another day. (Sorry to keep you hanging, but look for that question and the answer to that next Monday. Which, incidentally, at its core, has nothing really to do with SheSpeaks. :))

Though I loved many aspects to my weekend, there are a few things that stand out in my mind about the conference. I tried to think of a super clever way to describe them to you this morning. But well, I already told you I have brain fry today. So the best I can do is say that they are…yeah…just way too cool.

First, I got the privilege to meet some of my friends from out in blogworld. Since I have never chatted on the Internet before this blog thing came along, I have never had an experience like this before. I’ve never gone on a blind date before, either, but this has to feel like the closest thing to one. (Without the dreaded "goodnight kiss" on the front porch at the end of the night, of course. :))

I cannot tell you how amazing it was for me to meet women I would have likely never otherwise met if not for this blogging thing. I have grown so fond of these women over the 10 months I have been blogging and trading comments with them, it is not to be believed. And all of them were exactly as I expected. All 5 of my “blind dates” from blogworld...

I met Amy Brooke first. I recognized her right away, from her picture. But the one thing that stood out to me immediately was how great her smile really is. Her picture, though beautiful, just doesn’t do her smile justice. In person, it is completely radiant. Poor thing, I scared her to death by walking up to her during her quiet time and introducing myself. But I just couldn’t help it. I couldn’t walk by and not introduce myself to my dear friend from blogworld. The only regret I have is that I did not get a picture with her! (Amy, I am so sorry about this. Please forgive me for not grabbing a free minute to do this. I really wanted one! :)

The next friend I met was Laura. Oh my, if that wasn’t a fun reunion. Like Amy, Laura looked like her picture but was even more beautiful in person. I was so excited to meet her, and I think I might have even gushed a bit when talking to her about her writing. But I couldn’t help it…I am nuts about things I am nuts about. :) Laura is one of those women who I wish I had 5 hours to just sit and have coffee with. I doubt we would run out of things to talk about.

Then came Angie. I met her sister, Aimee, first. I was standing behind the book table and asked her if she happened to be one of my friends from blogworld. She sweetly said she wasn’t, but I was probably referring to her sister. I passed on a “hello” to her sister, and within minutes, I was meeting Angie face-to-face. Such beautiful eyes on her, that woman. It was really special to meet someone I had spent some time in prayer for. A true spiritual connection.

I had been looking for Lelia since I got there. Laura and I kept asking the other if we had seen her yet. In the back of my mind, I was thinking I might have missed her, somehow. But then on Saturday, standing in front of the bathroom, I was approached by an striking woman in a gorgeous blue and white outfit. “I’m Lelia,” she said. Then came the hug. It was a really good one, and I found myself wanting to hug longer. We had several occasions to talk over the weekend, but it was not nearly long enough for me. I told her she had great hair. And I meant it. (She does.) But it doesn’t compare to the heart on that girl. Man, do I like her.

Meeting Elaine was unexpected, but very cool. I liked her immediately. She is just one of those people who I am betting can talk to anyone. But I was glad she chose to talk to me. She’s funny…smart…and a great writer. I have a feeling we will continue our friendship far into the blogging future! :) Plus, I read in her "bio" that she likes anything written my Ravi Zacharias. And she loves Lisa Bevere's writing. Ok, it's official. We're twins. :)

Another highlight of the conference had to be hanging out with MaryBeth and Shari in their room during my spare time. Such fun should not be had during breaks in a conference. But those girls rock so much and I just love any excuse to get to be with them. Lots of laughter came from room 218, for sure! (Thanks, girls, for sharing your room and squirts of hairspray with me!)

And I cannot end this post without telling you one last thing that I loved about this weekend. I made a new friend in Zoe Elmore of P31. Yes, I already knew who she was. But man, did God use her to bless my heart in a very unexpected way. Sitting in MaryBeth and Shari’s room on Friday afternoon, I began lamenting to the girls and Zoe about how bad my feet hurt. (Yes, wearing cute, yet painful shoes is a vice of mine.) After a few minutes, Zoe excused herself and left for her room. She came back just minutes later with the cutest pair of heels and insisted that I put them on. Though I was hesitant at first to do so, I soon came to realize that Zoe was not presenting me with another option. So, I relented. I tried them on and loved them immediately! Ok, they were still heels (and how comfortable can heels REALLY be?), but they were actually really comfortable, considering! I was so touched that Zoe had gone to find me some shoes to wear for the rest of the evening, but I saw it as just a really kind gesture. But when I tried to give them back to her, she wouldn’t take them. She flat out told me she wouldn’t be taking them back home with her. They were mine, she informed me.

And that is how I got the really cute cork shoes.

They may be my new favorites.

My heart and soul was touched this weekend, friends. I was touched by the people I met and didn’t already know and those I met who I felt like I already knew in all the ways that really mattered. I made connections with people I already had a heart connection with.

The hugs and smiles were just a bonus.

I didn’t need to meet my friends in person to know that I loved them or that they were important to me. But boy, was it fun.

Great fun.

Even more fun than getting my new pair of really cute cork shoes.

And without any foot pain, to boot.

Ya’ll, this weekend touched both my heart and my sole.

Too cool.

Lisa

19 comments:

Laura said...

Welcome home, Dear One! I too am in the fellowship of the brain fry! May I just say how wonderful it was to finally see your beautiful face in person? and to hug you, dear friend! You bless me with your sweet words on this post. Oh, how I wish we had five hours over coffee together, wouldn't that be fun?
I'm still gathering my thoughts, sorting it all out, praying it through...
Meeting you was one of my favorite things from this weekend. Keep me posted on your speaking engagements; if there is one close by I would love to hear you. (And I can't wait to read your new book!)
Sending hugs,
Laura

Zoe said...

Lisa,
I'm brain drained myself today; but not to drained to know that girlfriend you are way too cute and cool for words!!!! I just love you to pieces.
What a joy to get to know you a bit, I hope we have an opportunity to get to know one another better because you are the REAL THING!!!
Your love for Christ shines from your face and it lights up the room.
Zoe
"How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" Romans 10:15
Walk on in those heels sweet sister

Kim said...

So glad to hear that you had such a fantastic weekend. I must say that I AM EXCITED about this study...my heart is just FULL of ABUNDANT JOY today. I have reread the first section over and over and God speaks to me in a different way each time. Thanks for your prayers....I am praying that this will speak to the needs of so many women...as it has me.

Lisa said...

Kim,
I am so thrilled to hear the joy you have for the study. I am even more moved to hear how God speaks to you differently every time you read the first section! I am so praying for your time with these ladies and that God will convince each of you to choose authenticity over pretense! You are leading out in that, sister! Being real truly does set a tired soul free.

Please keep me posted!
Lisa :)

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I feel a bit drained too!! =) My brain was just overloaded!!! I LOVE those shoes!! Zoe is so sweet to do that!!! That's a great story too!!

Thanks for your encouragement with my evaluation groups! It actually went really well. But, I only went 3 minutes!! I was like......what??? For my 3 minute deal I went FOUR minutes and this time I went faster??? Crazy huh? =) But the ladies were so gracious to me and just showered me with love and praise. I couldn't have asked for a better group!!

Thanks for helping out this weekend, and it was comforting to see your smiles every once in awhile!! =)

Jodie Wolfe said...

Lisa,
I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time at She Speaks.

Zoe seems to have yet another 'shoe story' from She Speaks. She has one from last year as well! :)

Blessings,
Pearls

Paula V said...

May I ask how come you didn't go as an attendee being a published author and all? If that's a personal question, please forgive me.

Have you been to SheSpeaks previously? I'm wondering if this is something a person attends every year or just why they need help perfecting or fine tuning their call to ministry. This is all new to me but I plan to go next year, assuming it's God's plan for me. I hope to perfect my call on writing and possibly some sort of leading.
Blessings,
Paula

Lisa said...

Hey Paula!
To answer your question (which is not too personal at all! :), I didn't go as an attendee for several reasons. One of those is because I have already been as one and I now have a relationship with the publishers, etc., because of my previous work. So...it wasn't necessary for me to meet with them in a formal appointment type setting to talk about my projects but rather, over dinner. Does that make sense?

Also, because of my background in organizing a large women's conference, I was more helpful to LeAnn and the ministry in a role that let me use my gifts to help serve. I paneled for a session on planning large events, introduced some of the sessions, and did some interviews on camera...things like that. So...even though I am not officially with the ministry, I love to help them out when my schedule allows. Since I live so close to the hotel where SheSpeaks was being held, it was no problem for me to come back and forth and help when I could.

I think someone would benefit greatly from attending more than one year. However, experience in the "business" eliminates some of the need to go to a conference to learn aspects of the business. Of course, this is just my opinion and what works for me. But others would likely say they like to continue to attend conferences like this to help them on their journey. I am not saying I have "arrived" or anything like that, I am just saying that my role was different this year. I am a big believer in always growing and learning...you can ALWAYS learn from someone else, no matter what level of success you might have had.

I hope this helps! I would love to see you attend the conference in the future. It would definately benefit you. And the sisterhood there is amazing!

Thanks for stopping by!
Lisa :)

P.S. I will blog about the main reason why I went to SheSpeaks in that role next Monday! It was my bottom line motivation in going.

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

hey girl - glad you had such a great time!! doing pretty good here!!! will talk more soon!! off to swimming and stuff!! love, Leigh

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,

Girl, I wish I had found you at the blogger reception. It was crazy. Loved your thoughts about the weekend. I echo every word.

Blessings, Lynn

http://unequalmarriage.typepad.com/

Kelley said...

Lisa,
I am so sad I didn't get to meet you at the conference. I traveled with Lelia and she had such wonderful things to say about you. I don't know how I missed out on being introduced to you. Maybe next year! Meanwhile I am glad I found your blog.

Take care and God Bless....

Amy L Brooke said...

Hi Dear One!

Yes, I shall always remember how we officially met. I'm so glad you did come up and say something. I was actually trying desperately to put my talks together!

Thanks for the compliment about the smile. That is sweet.

I loved your spark. It is so evident. Bummed about the picture, but NEXT time we are droppign what we are doing and snapping that thing.

I am processing so much. I still need to update you on my meetings.... The publisher who didn't want to take my propsal on Thursday saw me on Sunday and said they couldn't stop thinking about it and would I send it to them? No, it isn't a contract, but it is an encouragement!

Serious reflections on my site today. More whimsical stuff later. I don't think I would have ever thought about frying pickles but I had some at lunch inthe airport. I think it must be a general rule in the south --if it is fried it is good!

I loved meeting you! Bummed I couldn't find you on Sunday to say, "Goodbye!"

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You bet it, girl! We're going to be friends forever. God placed you in my path for a specific reason. I am forever moved by your gracious acceptance of me and your "Barnabas" spirit that walked me all the way to courage.

I already love you more than makes sense. I'm in Gatlinburg this week with my family but have posted, in brief, about my experience.

You are one of my "stones of remembrance" I shall carry with me for always.

More later...

peace for the journey`elaine

PS: Brought your book with me. Can't wait to dig in!

Carol said...

Lisa,
I met you the first day of the conference at the book table when I was looking at your book. Whitney insisted on introducing you. It bugged me all weekend because I felt like I knew you. I know I have seen you before and I haven't been on your blog before today. Did you go to Glorieta last October? Surely that is it! Hugs and smiles, Carol

Michelle said...

What an amazing weekend. I saw you running around the conference but never got the chance to meet you. :(

I got your book and cannot wait to really delve into it.

Yolanda said...

I can see already that I MUST come back to your blog. There are many of my girlfriends here posting! ;0)

Thanks for sharing your experiences, She Speaks must be awesome.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Lelia Chealey said...

LISA!!!
I am missing you already! Now I have a great excuse to come to North Carolina! It was so good to hug you. I loved your servant's heart this weekend. So cool! What a great example you are!
Thank you for your sweet words.
I think your book has been voted as the next Tuesday study to do on my blog. I'll have to coordinate something with Miss Laura! :)
We've already talked that next summer we're flying in the night before so get ready..you're staying at the hotel with us! :)
LOVE the shoes! I so wish I didn't have cankles!!!
Love you,
Lelia
Thanks for all of your encouragement author's heart to wanna be author's heart! xoxo

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

If I'd had the sense to take your picture, you might have won the title as "new best friend." Alas, Joy wins the prize.

peace~elaine

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Now that is one good girlfriend who'd give up those great shoes..:))

Are you going to San Antonio in August?? I'm hoping we can meet up one day! :) I'm so jealous of all you She Speaks girls! lol