Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Question Series: Week #2: Do I have that "thing?"

I had a really cool interaction with a girl the other day at the nail salon. Her name was Libby. (I love that name.)

The first thing I noticed about her was her red curly hair. Really beautiful and sunny. It only took me a few minutes to see why God blessed her with that particular hue. It matched her personality to a “T.”

Libby struck up a conversation with me, sitting at the nail dryer. I have to tell you, it was not what I originally had in mind. I was thinking about hurrying to pick up my three kids who had been at a friend’s house for most of the afternoon. I was not thinking about having a conversation with a stranger. I wanted to get out of there. But Libby didn’t know it.

So we conversed.

Actually, Libby conversed, and I listened.

I smiled, uncomfortable at first in veering off of my time agenda. (If I haven’t mentioned it before, I quite like to plan out my life.)

But then I forgot all about it.

She talked about her children…her church…her impending adoption of a child from Ethiopia. I at first wondered if she noticed I wasn’t talking at all. But I’m not sure it mattered. With every word, passion spilled out of Libby. I found myself being caught up in listening to her. I thought about what a different interaction I was having with her than the one I had with the woman in the hair salon that inspired my book. I thought about hanging around to hear more. Where I was once ready to leave, I now found myself wanting to stay. And listen. To Libby converse.

She apologized for talking so much. I’m not sure she even heard me say I didn’t mind. I couldn’t believe it, but I didn’t.

Libby was familiar to me, though I was sure we had never previously met. Though I only knew her by her first name and her identifying hair color, I got a sense from her. She was real. Genuine. Not counterfeit. Completely non-fictional. And...captivating.

Listening to Libby talk made me want to do things for God on a day that I wasn’t really feeling the passion to do anything much, at all. I found myself wondering, What is it about her that makes me want to sit here longer and listen to her talk? What is it that in 7 short minutes of meeting her now makes me want to consider things I wasn’t considering today?

She had that “thing.”

That “thing” that drew me in. That “thing” that made me feel like I wanted to do more. That “thing” that caused an agenda-driven girl to lay aside her agenda and sit and listen, taking it all in. Libby had it. Suddenly, I knew where it came from.

“Whenever, though, they turn to face God as Moses did, God removes the veil and there they are—face-to-face! They suddenly recognize that God is a living, personal presence, not a piece of chiseled stone. And when God is personally present, a living Spirit, that old, constricting legislation is recognized as obsolete. We're free of it! All of us! Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face. And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him.(II Cor. 3:16-18: The Message -- My emphasis added)

How can you tell if someone is truly real? Sometimes you can’t.

But most of the time, you just can. Because they have that "thing."

They are bright. They are beautiful. (and it has nothing to do with DNA) They are captivating. They stand out in a crowd and remind you of Someone.

They are strangely familiar, even in the first 7 minutes of meeting them.

They make such an impression on you that you write an entire blog about them.

They are genuine and real, and they don’t even have to tell you that for you to know it for yourself.

You just know.

Because once God enters your life to the point of infection, you look like Him, smell like Him, talk like Him, and shine like Him. Like Libby, you have that “thing.”

Lisa

25 comments:

Michelle said...

You definitely have that "thing." I am working to release it from the shield protecting my vulnerability, but Ms. Confidence holds fast to the shield. I am loving your book. Blessings!

Kristen said...

Lisa...
By just reading a few of your blog posts... you too have that "thing"

I believe that "thing" we share is the Holy Spirit! Yes, we know when it's genuine when we use the Spirit for discernment!

God Bless!

Lisa said...

Hi Michelle and Kristen!
Thank you for your kind words...hope the title didn't come across as me wanting affirmation, just a question I ask myself. But I am thankful and humbled that you see the "thing" in me. Of course, I say "thing" lightly because it is, indeed, the Holy Spirit residing in someone...no disrespecting the Almighty! :)

Michelle...so thrilled you are loving the book. Can't wait to dialouge with you more about it. I so wish we had met at SheSpeaks.

And Kristen...great to "meet" you. I will hop over to your blog and see what wisdom I can glean there!

See ya girls!
Lisa :)

Lisa said...

P.S. Michelle...as you know from reading the book, I can completely relate to holding onto that protective shield of Ms.Confidence. Girl, I know all about that...intimately. How do you think I could write the chapter? :)

Be encouraged...it's possible to break through it. Still working on, but getting real makes all the difference in the world.

I'm with you!
Lisa :)

Paula V said...

Wow...I want that "thaaang". Seriously, I hope my "thing" is portrayed like Libby's. I hope that I captivate and draw people in so that they can see the love and light of Christ.

A friend once told me that our value is not based on what other's think. I agree with that to a point; however, part of me does want to know what others "see" in me. Do they see this "thing" as you saw in Libby, which captivated you? If not, then I want to work so that it does.

Reading this has made me want to go out into the world, get my nails done or something and be that "thing" to others or allow time for others to be that "thing" for me.

I'm going to go back and read your post on the salon lady that did inspire you to write your book.

Is your book in Christian book stores? Do you only have one book?

If you so desire, you can just hit reply and send it to my email.
Blessings,
Paula

Laura said...

And you are truly "real", lady! Now I really can't wait to read your book! but I am holding out to see if I can convince Lelia and her following to do it as an online Bible study after we finish Lysa's. Wouldn't that be fun? I'm going over there right now to put a bug in her ear...

Amy L Brooke said...

Beautiful thoughts. I'm glad God had you linger to listen to Libby!

You've got that "thing!"

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You definitely got that "thing" going on girl! You must hop over to the blog when you get a chance. I've posted some second thoughts about the weekend. And for those of you who don't have Lisa's book...GET IT!

She writes with that "thing". His name is JESUS.

peace~elaine

Unknown said...

I want to be known for having That Thing.

Renee Swope said...

Hey Miss Thang!! I love this post and it makes me want to meet Libby. Did you get her number? She sounds amazing - and I want to know about her Ethiopian adoption since that is where we are going, too.

Loved seeing you this weekend. Thank you so much for being such a servant. You may not be officially on the team, but you are family for sure!! We love you girl.

Hugs,
Renee

Natalie Witcher said...

mmmm, good one girl.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

What great thoughts Lisa!! I too wanted to come meet this Libby!! =) I love how you put your agenda aside and waited to see what God had planned!

I agree so much with the others, you do have that "thing". I'm so excited to see what God has in store for your life!! Can't wait to read your book!

Yolanda said...

AWESOME!

As I've heard more than once,

"Let's DO the thang!!!!"

Glory to God,
Yolanda

Lelia Chealey said...

Lisa,
Michelle is right you got it! Like Renee told Tom Cruise "you had me at hello"! Lol...seriously though girl you have Jesus all over you!
FYI: We're doing you're book after Lysa's study! I'll let you know the date we'll start it up. Will be the fall study so be praying! :)
Love you much. Hop over to my blog if you have a minute as it is a prayer request.
Love you sista!
Lelia

Lelia Chealey said...

P.S. I don't know you "well", but well enough to know your heart belongs to the Savior 100+% and if you want affirmation for anyone it would be Him. Seems your life is all about bringing Him fame!
xoxo

Kara said...

Greetings from Texas,
Oh Lisa I want the "thing" so bad. I just want more of Jesus everyday! My honest prayer is that He uses me for His glory and that I am obedient to His call. I received your book last week, so good! I am having to read a chapter and put the book down and really soak it all in. Thank you for being so honest and teaching Christian women to be real.
In His Service,
Kara-John 3:30
karamy3sons.blogspot.com

Lelia Chealey said...

I loved what you left me today, thank you so much!! So encouraging to my heart. Oh Lisa, I just want to be done with this season of life, but I was driving home today & bawling my eyes out with Amiyah in the back telling God out loud "YOU ARE WORTH THIS YOU ARE WORTH THIS!" I have to believe that when I get to the other side of this valley of pain that I'm going to be in awe of the beauty of the Lord. I already am by being surrounded by women of God like yourself.
I just re-read through your post and loved the last paragraph. I want to smell like Him Lisa!!
Love ya,
Lelia

Sheryl said...

Oh I love that "thing". Love meeting people with it. They are REAL. They'll share their stuff. Authentic! They're so worth setting aside an agenda. Actually they make me forget I had an agenda. I hope I have that "thing". Hey, let's just be real here, I have that "thing"!! And so do you.

-Sheryl

Amy L Brooke said...

Because I'm crazy, when B&N called today, I agreed to work the 6-close shift. I just got home. It was one of those nights where everything was strewn across the store.

But in the midst of it all, I realized that Behind the Eyes was in the center row, third table, on a special table entitled "New Arrivals!" I don't know that it is in every B&N, but at this moment, it is VERY easy to find and in a place that gets frequently shopped.

I short listed it a couple weeks ago, but I wasn't there this last week and would never have that kind of pull anyway. So, I guess God put it there! :-)

It's 11:06 and I have no business being on the computer when the alarm will go off about 5:15!

Lisa said...

Wow, girls...I can just imagine that this kind of "talk" we are having is precious to the Father! How much He must love to see His girls dwelling on how to be more like Him.

It's a daily thing, friends. We have to live it DAILY. Keep reminding me of that, ok? :)

Love all of you tons!
Lisa :)

Jamie said...

That is so the desire of my heart...that I would have that "thing" and it would be evedint to those around me. Loved this post!

Kara said...

Lisa,
Just wanted to let you know that you are a huge blessing to my life. I thank the Lord that He is using you for His Glory to reach so many ladies. You are a true Proverbs 31 Lady. Have a blessed weekend!
In His Service, Kara Shriver

Proverbs 31:26-31 (Amplified Bible)

26-She opens her mouth in skillful and godly Wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness [giving counsel and instruction].
27-She looks well to how things go in her household, and the bread of idleness (gossip, discontent, and self-pity) she will not eat.(A)
28-Her children rise up and call her blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied); and her husband boasts of and praises her, [saying],
29-[a]Many daughters have done virtuously, nobly, and well, but you excel them all.
30-Charm and grace are deceptive, and beauty is vain, but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised!
31-Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates [of the city]!(B)

Kay Martin said...

People being "real." When the masks are off wonderful things naturally occur. Loved this post. Since Scriptures tell us Jesus is Truth; we must be true to ourselves to be our best. That authenticity is inspiring and live giving. Oh, to be real.

Michelle said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and your encouraging words there and here.

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

What a great post (and not becaure my daughters name is Olivia and we call her Libby!). I want to live out that "thing" and have others see Christ in me too!

Blessings!

In His Graces~Pamela