Many thanks to Jennisa, who designed a beautiful blog page for me. I love, love, love it!
Now on to why I think I might have scared you off...
From the lack of response I have gotten on my "offer" for two free books, I think I have scared you out of participating in sharing your stories! (Either that, or I should have offered you Starbucks gift cards instead! :))
I can totally understand you not wanting to share personal stories that might hurt someone else. Please know that it was not my intention to get you to share things like this. I am talking about the things -- little and big -- that happen to us everyday that are relatable and funny and thought provoking, all at the same time. Basically, the stuff of life.
I would love any little humorous story you have -- maybe something your child or a child you know said that was the truth but hurt a little bit to hear -- or something that you said to someone that was the well-meaning truth but might have hurt them a little bit in the process. (Like a few years ago when someone said my new haircut looked like a wig.) Things like that. I really had humorous stories in mind when I wrote my last post, but I didn't communicate that very well! (Sorry -- for those of you who commented or emailed me with your serious stories, please know that I appreciate them and may ask you to use them in something else down the road!) If you read my new book, the opening story in the book is a perfect example of a humorous story where the truth hurt a little!
And if you are reading this post and are totally confused as to what I'm talking about in the first place, it's a sign to you that you should go back and read my last post! :)
Thanks for the grace, friends! Does anyone else out there relate to me when I say I make sense to myself alot more than I make sense to anyone else most days?!
More on Monday...






14 comments:
Oh, I am intrigued. I'll have to read your last post. YOur blog is absolutely beautiful and very inviting. Love it.
Lisa,
I love the new look!
Ok you asked for it. This truth hurts story has a little different twist to it but here it goes. A few years ago a friend of my sisters was pregnant with her first child. Her husband considered himself an educated, in-the-know, moderen father. Often bragging about how much he was involved in the whole birthing process.
about two weeks before her due date she went alone to the doctors appointment and came home very excited.
She breathlessly told him that the doctor had said it could be any day now. He asked her how did the doctor know. "Because I'm already dialating." He stared at her for a few seconds then pounds his hand on the table mad! "That doctor is a quack!" He yelled! She was dumbfounded. "What do you mean? He is the best OBGYN in town." He seemed to grow more irritated. "I don't care what or how good a doctor he is....He can't tell when you are going to have the baby just by looking at your EYES!"
She of course fell over laughing and then explained the truth to this now better educated, in-the-know, modern father.
This is a true story. I did however leave out any names to protect the ignorant!
Even if this is not what you are looking for it is still soooo funny!
Thanks for visiting me and the encouragement!
Praying for you as you write.
Pamela R.
Lysa! Your new home is gorgeous! I have blog envy! I'm afraid to say I've been out of bloggy land lately, and had to catch up with you by reading the last post. I will definitely continue to pray for Kris and your sister. What sweet souls they are for courageously sharing their struggles to help others.
And I can't wait to see you in a tennis skirt! I think you are beautiful just as you are, but maybe hitting a few balls will be a good way to handle frustration? Good luck, my friend. I personally have very poor hand-eye coordination and stay in the catagory of "none of my friends are as bad as me so I will probably never learn"!
I will pray for your trip to TX. How exciting! I still want to hear you speak one day soon! Please keep me posted on your speaking schedule! I know you will bless all those who listen.
A funny embarrassing story? Hmmm. I know I have a lot of those. Let's see.
I have a friend who is an obsessive house cleaner. Sometimes she scares me. One time, when her children were elementary aged, we had their family over for dinner. As we all filed down to the basement after dinner (the entertainment room), I said apologetically,"My house isn't quite as clean as you alls." (Of course, I had been cleaning all day in anticipation of our guests.) Their son, who was around eight at the time, looked at me with eyes as big as saucers and said, "You can say that again!"
I was humiliated! Out of the mouths of babes. Everyone got a big laugh out of his honesty, and I've tried to improve my housekeeping skills.
I love you, girl!
Lisa,
The new look is great! I admit a "Woe" escaped me when I first linked... :)
As for a "truth hurts" story, I am blessed with a husband that does ALL THE COOKING. In the 14 years we have been married, I have forgotten everything I ever knew about cooking. So, a few years ago he was traveling a lot for work and was home one weekend out of two. I was making dinners for my teenage girls and me and thinking I was doing okay, but my husband came home on one of his weekends and cooked up a feast. It's his way of relaxing. My youngest daughter came to the dinner and said "thank God! It's food!" Now I will say we all laughed and she said she didn't mean it the way it came out, but after that my husband always cooked all the weekend he was home and froze dinners for us that would last til he came home again... God is good! :)
karen
This is beautiful! I truly "dig" the new look as we DIG into the truths of God's word and what He disires for us! ;0)
Lovingly,
Yolanda
Love your look!!! It's sooo "you"!
I posted a post the other day about how our children "mirror" us.
I wrote about how my youngest one Kennedy can be quite a handful many days and all to often I say to her, "You've got to be quite, you're making my head spin!"
Well, we were at the playground and she was getting so frustrated with the other kids because they were all screaming and yelling and she yelled out on the top of her lungs, "Be Quite! You Maka my ed tin!" (Your making my head spin)
It was funny, but gave me a little check at the same time!
Ok. Just had to think a bit.
About a year after we moved to our current location my husband let me splurge and purchase a new coffee table. You see we had been married for 18 years and still had the same one that we purchased for $10.00 when we got married. It had seen several moves, gotten scorched by a fire place and had dents from kids falling on it. So I sat out on the journey to find the perfect one. I found it and loved every detail. It was very unique and different from any I had seen before or sense.
Then one day a friend asked me to watch her young son for the day. Of course I did but all day I kept saying, "Oh please don't put that car on the table" or "Honey, can we put all the toys on the floor instead of the table?"
To this I got the response..."What is so big about this table? It is only a table you know and you can't take it to heaven."
Ouch!!!! A 4 year old put me in my place and we played cars on the table the rest of the day.
Love the new blog look! Oh new books are better than Starbucks.
Hey Lisa...don't know if this is what you are looking for...but, I thought of it when I read your offer...I love FREE stuff... :)
I don't remember what grade I was in...but, I remember it was hot...and it was the final days of the school year. To burn some 'end of the school year' energy, my teacher decided that a good game of kickball would get rid of alot of the energy that was used to get into mischief. It was a good plan.
I was always quite athletic. But, I did go through an awkward stage. A stage where I looked funny...and when my body didn't really work the way that my brain planned it out. In the days leading up to this particular kickball game...I had been especially clumsy and really not all that graceful when it came to playground time.
As we rushed the field, the teacher announced that she had selected 2 students, at random, of course, to serve as team captains and choose up sides. This was looking pretty good. I knew both of the students really well...and would actually call them some of my closest buddies. 'I really wouldn't mind being on either team,' I thought to myself.
And with that, the choosing began. One by one, kids disappeared from the unorganized mass to take their places behind one or the other team captain. The numbers began to dwindle pretty quickly as all the cool kids high fived their new team members. Only 6 of us left. Now 4....almost there...now there's only 2 of us that have not been chosen. Me...and another kid who had a bum foot and couldn't run very fast. 'Hmmph! They must have not seen me back here...I am kinda short.' And with that, the other player's name was called. So, there I was...standing all alone. Not chosen...but, really kind of assigned to the team that needed one more player. "I guess that leaves us with Carol." Sigh.
There's a big difference in being chosen and being the last option. Do you know what I mean? Even now as an adult, I struggle with it. I know I am not alone either. I can't tell you the number of women that I run into that....weren't chosen for the promotion....weren't chosen by their husband...and lost him to a habit, a hobby or another...or feel as if they weren't chosen, but were just the only option left. Sigh.
You would think that the older we get, the easier this one would be. But, I recently encountered a situation where I wasn't chosen. And, I have to tell you...the pain was just as real as the day that I stood all alone on the kickball field. It hurts not to be chosen.
But, I have good news for you. The only person that matters HAS chosen you...
John 15:16
16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit–fruit that will last.
You are not the only option. You are loved! You are chosen!!! :) Remember that the next time you head for the kickball field!!!
Posted by Carol Davis at 8:07 PM
I love the new design of your blog! It is absolutely beautiful and very "user-friendly"! Tell Jennisa she did an awesome job.
I love the new look.
Yes, I feel most times I make more sense to myself than to others. I think this is because my brain thinks faster than I speak.
I wasn't scared off but just didn't have anything funny that I could think up.
Love it! And no, you didn't scare me, but I just can't think of a good story along these lines.
peace~elaine
Ohh Lisa, love your new blog look -- very pretty.
I don't have a story, because my brain is mush. I'll try to think of one, I'm sure I have many.
I love the new look, but thought the old one was nice too! I'm sure I have stories, but can't think of any at the moment. I have put a lot of things about myself on my blog, and I guess I am unclear as to what you are looking for exactly. Is it a testimony of what the Lord has done or something I saw in me. Mine are usually more serious in nature due to the ashes of my life being what they are. I thought you might be looking for something a bit more positive in nature.
Love the new look, although I just found you! Makes me want to spruce mine up, maybe later.
Is your book a bible study? I am looking for material for my Gather & Grow group.
Truthful story-this happened this weekend! Some friends invited us to join them at their lake house on Saturday. We spent the whole day out on their boat, jet skis, etc. Just having a blast and enjoying some down time. Late in the evening we took a boat ride and pulled three of the kids in a large raft with three seats. It's a pretty mild ride, but gets bumpy going over other boaters waves. My six year old was giving us the thumbs down signal and saying he wanted out. We (the adults) wanted to get home, we were so close. So I said to the driver, "Just keep going, he'll be fine." A few minutes later, we went across some waves, the sun was in our eyes, and home was just a few minutes away. My son had a break down, screaming, crying, you get the picture. We stop the boat, I try to get him out of the raft, but he's just crying and yelling at me. As I wrapped him up in my arms, I said, "Mommy couldn't see you for the sun!." To which he replies, "You have on sunglasses, how could that happen?" The truth hurt, but cracked the adults up. I later apologized for not listening to him in the first place.
Post a Comment