I can vividly remember the way my youth pastor at church used to pray. Even now, I can picture the way he looked when he spoke to the Father in the midst of our little holy church huddle. With one eye cracked open, I would watch him almost every time.
His eyes tightly shut, he would tilt his face upward, as if looking at Someone through closed eyelids. He would sway sometimes, back and forth, with a half smile on his closed lips. I can remember the way his voice would sound when he would pray – bold…honest…convinced…and madly in love with the One he was talking to. Innately, I knew he meant every word he said. Watching him pray, my overwhelming teenaged thought was always the same…
I don’t think I’ll ever pray like that man. But I wish I could.
I admit, I was envious of his ability to pray in such a way that I knew he meant it. I guess what I was really envious of was the kind of relationship he had with God that would cause him to be able to pray like that in the first place. It was the one I always wanted to have but wasn’t sure I ever would.
It was the same kind of feeling I would have when someone would tell me they craved more of God or longed for God or hungered after the Word. It was the way I felt when I would read Scripture like Psalm 42:1, “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.”
Longing for God? Craving God? Panting for Him? What did all of it mean?
I wasn’t sure. But what I was sure of was that I didn’t. And I didn’t know why.
I was ashamed to admit that even the concept of craving God was a bit foreign to me. But even in my teenaged mind, I knew enough to know it wasn’t something that could be taught. If it were so, I would have already learned. After all, I was practically born in a church pew. I knew all the acrostics and catchy word pictures to prayer and all the Christianese and buzzwords to use to impress someone with my knowledge of Scripture. I knew what I was supposed to say and how I was supposed to feel.
But I also knew enough to know that wasn’t enough. It wasn’t “it.”
It was years later that I would find out just what that “it” was and what it was all about. It wasn’t anything fancy, nor was it anything profound or something I could learn my way into. There was just one thing missing to my life and my relationship with God that kept me from praying and meaning it -- from my longings and cravings for God.
Very simply, I wasn’t giving him my best.
Oh, I was giving Him my kind-of best. I was giving Him my runner up best. I was definitely giving Him my Sunday best. But it wasn’t my best-best. It wasn’t the kind of best that allows a person to pray like my youth pastor prayed.
And He wanted more of me.
He wanted me to love Him like I had never loved anyone before. He wanted me to desire Him like no desire I had ever had before. He wanted me to crave Him like the strongest craving I had ever had before. But there wasn’t anything He could do to get me to feel those spiritual urgings. He had already done enough. The rest was was all up to me.
It was up to me to choose to give Him my best.
What that meant, was no more half-hearted living. No more clinched fists or “maybes.” No more things to control. No more means to my end. It would mean lots of questions and self-inventory and “yes’s” instead of “nos.” It would mean an uncluttered heart and a single mindedness and a death to self and a release of control.
I would have to give Him best.
And then, it would mean cravings like never before. Longings like none other. Hunger pains to trump all other hunger pains. It would mean sheer abandon and beautiful impulse and crazy, insane amounts of love.
And yes, prayers coming from a heart that meant them.
Though I now know what this kind of love and meaning requires, the question “Is this the best I’ve got?” is a question I still often ask God and myself. Even now, when my prayers feel stale and my longings are seen heading in the wrong direction, I have to re-visit the question.
And when I do, I find out that I am offering Him less than my best.
And then I have to, once again, unclench my fists...take the padlock off my heart... and present my little and my much to Him to do with what He wants.
Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





15 comments:
You make me think of the woman who loved him extravagantly and gave what she could. You live rather extravagantly towards HIM. And you are that woman that now prays passionately with her face upward. You kneel in humility and stand in grace. Psalm 32:5 - you look to HIM and you are radiant!
Lisa-I love coming here. Your writing is convicting yet bonding to my heart. Todays post reminds me if the concept of "Is He God or is He your God"-making him real, building that relationship-more of Him, less of me...has taken me and my God to a new level. Thank you for posting His words from your heart today. I have been blessed and reminded of where I should be with my God.
In His Graces~Pamela
This is very good:) I think I need to read it again. I know how it is to hunger for more of the Lord. I have been very close to his heart. I also know how it is to wonder where that hunger went. I prayed for more hunger again and again and it did not come. I have even been in prayer groups praying along with my brothers and sisters for hunger to strike others and never thought of it as you have put it here. The hunger is already there. I can't ask for it as if one day the Lord is going to show up and I am going to be renewed. This renewing is a process and I need to continue to do my part. Thanks so much for this lovely post. I have enjoyed several of your posts lately.
"And then I have to, once again, unclench my fists...take the padlock off my heart... and present my little and my much to Him to do with what He wants."
Oh, Lisa! You break my heart when you write things like this! These words are so true. It is something I need to get in the habit of asking myself, "Am I giving Him my best?" The answer is too often no, I am ashamed to say. But it is friends like you who help me to get back on track and renew my efforts each morning. Thank you, Dear One!
Found your blog through Laura. Glad to do so and get to know you after having met at She Speaks. I appreciate the probing questions that nudge me closer to my God.
Lisa:
My "best" came in sort of a John Wesley way, when after years of walking with Jesus, I began to read and invest my time into his Word. It was then that I felt my heart "strangely warmed" (actually more like a lava burning moment!!!) and the fire has been lit ever since.
Even on days when I don't offer him my best, I offer him my time in the Word. I know that it is always time well spent.
I'm not having my best morning. Would appreciate your prayers.
peace~elaine
Oh, Lisa, I so want to give God the best I've got! I often find myself distracted with the busyness of life and realize I'm only giving Him parts of my heart and not the whole. I'm longing to serve whole-heartedly with complete surrender. Thanks for sharing, this post spoke to me today, friend.
Hey Lisa,
Were you in my prayers this morning? I have learned to not give my best at anything because it wasn't expected of me and when I did as a child, because it wasn't expected I was accussed of cheating. Having a disability sometimes means in others eyes that you are disabled in everything. I have learned as an adult though that the outcome or results of whatever we are doing and giving our best is God's responsibility. We just need to obey! Give our best in obedience and faith. The results good or bad (In our eyes) are His.
Pray for me as I learn what it is to give my best--my complete unadulterated--unstoppable best! Doing things to a good level but not a best level is a hard habit to break!
Thanks so much for your words, your ministry and your heart!
I love you my friend!
Pamela R.
Wow. I KNOW I'm not giving God my best right now. I feel like I'm pulled in so many directions and I wonder if there'll ever be the day of true discipline. I've even lost my time for daily exercise. I can't believe even in the midst of a now single life that life could still be so busy. I just want to rest. Yet, on days I rest, I am so fatigued that I want my mind to rest and I don't give God the time He deserves and I desire. It seems a vicious cycle. However, I'm starting little things that will bring back that discipline of time and I think in that I will begin to see God do a transformation of my heart and I will give Him my best. I don't mean to say that He has to tranform my heart before I give Him by best. Rather, I feel maybe with the busyness of life and the pain of my trials that I get so bogged down that I lose my focus and real desire to hunger and thirst for Him.
Hope that jibberish makes sense.
This was a very good post. Convicting my heart for further self reflection.
You always make me think!
This reminded me of a visit with my niece several years ago. She wanted to catch lightening bugs and had a special cage for them. Someone caught her one and then the rest of us grabbed for more. She would not let us open the cage to put them in just incase the other would get out!
Clenched fists always mean we miss out!
Hope you are having a good day.
OH soooo good Lisa! I love posts that make me think or like Arsenio used to say: Things that make me go Hmmmmm. Definitely one of those posts. I will be thinking of this tonight for sure because I feel I short God alot!
Love ya,
Lelia
That's an awesome question to ask all the time!! Even while doing laundry....=) ugh.
It could very well be the next "WWJD"!!! =)
Hello Lisa,
I found you through a series of blogs on "being real". I love your realness and how open you are about who you are and what issues in life you are going through.
And now that I am here...I am trying to find your book on this whole "real" topic!
Nichole
I'm glad he takes me clenched and all! Thanks for the post darlin'! Just about to finish your book "7 Hardest Thing" ;)
Lisa,
When I got to the statement, "Is this the best I've got?", that hit me hard.
I'm sure it hasn't been, and it needs to be. Not comparing myself to anyone, but simply giving my best to Him.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts as they cause me to ponder and be challenged to giving Him my very best. He certainly did!
Love,
Yolanda
Post a Comment