But if you are all filled up today with your own spiritual insights from God’s Word (and I hope you are! :)), I would love for you to join me in pondering a few more life lessons I have recently learned…of the completely non-spiritual kind. They aren’t beneficial to my walk, ya’ll. But they just might be of benefit to my tennis game. And boy, do I need it! Just ask my tennis partners.
To catch a few of you up to speed, I have embarked on a new journey into the world of all things tennis. Every Wednesday, 3 of my girlfriends and I are waking up at completely uncivilized hours and heading over to the tennis courts at a local community in our area to learn the sport. There, we spend 1 ½ hours with our very sweet and longsuffering tennis coach, Jamey, who feeds us balls and encouragement, simultaneously. Oh, the poor man did not know what he was in for when he took our call. :)
But let me not lead you astray, as yesterday was our very first day of lessons. So I don’t actually know how long-suffering Jamey is since he’s only clocked 1-½ hours with us to this point. Long suffering would indicate that one will continue to put up with us after several more lessons with our motley crew. And the verdict is still out on that one. But don’t worry…I’ll keep you posted. I have already informed Jamey that he will, at some point, end up on this blog. :)
So after all the techniques were taught…all the tennis balls were hit over the fence…and all the girls in tennis skirts had bonded, I was left with a few thoughts to share with you about our first lesson in tennis, should you ever decide to embark on such a journey for yourself…
1) Never accept a racket that your husband says he found in the attic. That is, unless you don’t mind being openly mocked by your tennis coach when he takes a look at it. Note to self: broken rackets with dust on them don't impress tennis instructors.
2) Never discount the power of the 8am sun in August. Friends, I will NOT be doing the layering thing for my lessons, no matter how much it is in style. Nothing is worse than when your sunglasses slide down your nose and onto your face while you are trying to hit a small ball over a big net.
3) Never choose partners to take lessons with that can hit home runs in softball or smack volleyballs across the net at an alarming rate of speed. Common sense, huh? I didn’t get the memo.
4) Never become overconfident when you tackle one thing, as something else will likely arise to prove that you are truly the amateur you thought you were. After the foreswing and backswing drills, I was feeling like Venus or Serena. However, after the serving instructions, I was feeling more like…well…Lisa Whittle.
5) Never underestimate how out of shape you are before you start weilding a racket. Let me just put it this way...when one can not lift the coffee pot to pour oneself a cup because one's forearm is too sore, that means one is not hitting the gym enough.
Oh, and one quick question for you, my bloggy friends. When the tennis coach doesn’t constantly correct you on your swing, does that mean you are doing really well…or that he sees no hope in you whatsoever and chooses to spend his time on those who actually have potential? Not saying that was my experience, of course. Just asking…for a “friend.”:)
So those are my life lessons for the day. Look for more of them to come in the future. And yes, some pictures, too. That is if I can bring myself to be photographed in one of those cute tennis skirts that my home run hitting, volleyball-smashing friends look awesome in.
Ah, tennis.





12 comments:
Lisa I am so loving this post! I took tennis in college. Now lest you think I was 18 and svelte, nay, nay. I started college at 35 after 3 babies and a hysterectomy. Svelte I am not. Graceful...nada. Trip over my own feet - a gold medal on that one! Thank goodness my tennis coach was also a counselor and knew to be nurturing. :) blessings, marlene
Loved it!! It made me LOL on how true your life lessons were. I'm right there with you on our "softball and volleyball playing" partners. Lis, you'll look SO cute in a tennis skirt cuz the woman wearing it is one of the most beautiful women I know. Love you!
Are you watching the Olympics?
Hearing of all these sports, makes me yearn to get home this evening to watch them! ;0)
Lovingly,
Yolanda
You are ahead of me I don't think I could run around the block, let alone play tennis.
You go girl!!!
OH this cracks me up! I so could have written this. I took tennis at Baylor and let's just say that I made two C's in college. One was in philosophy and the other......in tennis.
Thanks for the giggles tonight!
Oh I'm here darlin'! I pop over every week, even though I might not leave a comment. BUT i'll start doing that more often cuz I know comment love is goooood!
You're awesome! I've started a running program. Oh dude, it's HARD! I'm sure you look so super in those tennis clothes though. At least it's fashionable!
And you're doing this why?
peace~elaine
Lisa, Thanks for your recent comment....I've been meaning to contact you for some time as well:) What a blessing it was to receive your book....so sweet of you to share your beautiful words and God-given insight! I read it immediately and loved it! As a matter of fact, I plan on writing a post about it soon...even a little exposure from a little-known blog can make a difference in a lot of lives, right? Keep pursuing God and I look forward to hearing about the great things the Lord will do through your ministry! Your Florida Friend, Bethany Kush
Yes, I knew there was a reason that I never finished those tennis lessons when I was 8, and now you have just confirmed it. :)
Gotta love life lessons!
Lisa, I am just impressed with your willingness to learn this sport! I have never had the hand/eye coordination, that's why I run! BTW, tennis skirts look cute even when you are sweaty!Running outfits are always ugh!
Friend to friend - it is a forehand and not a foreswing... That may be why he didn't talk about the foreswing, he had no idea what the questions were about. ha ha!! I so glad you are having fun!!! One more thing from a tennis girl - DO NOT wear sunglasses - that is a dead giveaway of a beginner!! Serena or Venus would never wear shades... Love you my friend - have a blast!! Love, Leigh
Leigh...
Hee Hee -- Was that what the problem was? A simple terminology issue? Oh, I wish that were all! :)
Leave it to me to not even have the correct term right. Thanks for the advice from a pro and for being my friend even though you could trounce me on the court and "serve" me up for dinner! Now how's that for tennis talk?
hee hee
Lisa :)
Post a Comment