Monday, August 25, 2008

Open Palms

I almost didn’t go.

In fact, I said “no” the first time. It was right before bedtime when I called my friend, Shari, to let her know that I wouldn’t be able to speak for the event she was asking about in the beautiful Cayman Islands. I breathed a sigh of relief when I was able to simply leave a voicemail. I went to bed, certain I would sleep soundly with my decision having been made. I was sure God would approve, or at least, understand.

But no sleep came.

I tossed and turned all night, with little sleep and less comfort. I counted the hours ‘til morning and tried counting sheep. When my flock neared 500, I finally gave up and stopped counting. It was a miserable night.

The clock went off at 6am, but I was already awake. I slipped out of the warm covers and into the darkness of a quiet room. Shuffling into my bathroom, I flipped on the bright light. It was then that He took the opportunity to greet me. His words, clear as a bell, certainly woke me up.

Him: “Well, Lisa. What are you gonna do?”

Me: “Ummm…seriously, God. It’s pretty early. I’m not really sure I am following you. What exactly do you mean by that?

Him: “What are you gonna do?”

Me: “What am I gonna do? I did what I was gonna do. I hope it's ok with you. I didn't really have time to consult you on it, so I just went ahead and told Shari “no” that I couldn’t make it to the event.”

(Commentary: Funny how I didn’t have to ask Him what He was talking about before I answered.)

Him: “I know. But what are you gonna do?”

Me: “Ummm….ok, God, I know what you’re getting at. You want to know why I told her “no,” right? Why I’m not going to do this retreat? Well, you know why. I mean…you know I hate to fly and you know I don’t prefer to be away from my family and you know you can find someone else to do it and they don’t really have to have me. You know all that, right?”

Him: “I know.”

Me: “Ok, so…it’s just not my thing, ok? You understand, right? I did mention that the flight to the Caymans is over water, didn’t I? So that probably wouldn’t be a good idea for someone who is afraid to fly. Plus, the whole motherhood thing. I shouldn’t be away from the kids…so far away. Really, God. I don’t think I should go.”

Enter long, somewhat awkward pause.

Finally…

Him: “Open up your palms, Lisa. You’re closing them, again.”

Me: Silence.

I got the message, loud and clear. There was no need for a response. Really, I knew He didn’t want one. He had made His point.

He got me with the open palms thing. It had been just 4 years before that He had finally pried them open for the first time. They had been cracked open before…but never completely unlocked. Never stretched out flat. And certainly, never turned upward towards Him.

The day they became unclenched was a day I’ll never forget. Just 24 hours prior, I was sitting at a table at Outback with my good friend, Lysa TerKeurst, after having just experienced a wonderful conference together. I ordered chicken grillers but didn’t touch them. I don’t remember what she ordered. I was too busy thinking about the lump in my throat and wishing I could go somewhere to cry it out.

It wasn’t the food or the company that was making we want to cry. God had been dealing with me. From the front row of a conference I was partially serving to coordinate, administrate and implement (and speak for), He was dealing with me. I didn’t expect Him to. I really just expected to put on a beautiful conference for women. But He had much bigger plans in mind.

He wanted me to say “yes” to Him. After years and years, He was no longer willing to let my “no” stand.

I shared this with Lysa at the table at Outback that day, much of it spurred on by her powerful message at the conference. Though completely sincere and sensitive, she had a funny look on her face when I told her the news. I’m sure it sounded strange coming from a woman who had just helped to administrate a conference of 1500 women and all that comes with it. A woman who said “no” to God surely wouldn’t have done that. But that is exactly what I had done. And it wasn’t the first time.

Saying “yes” to coordinating a conference was something I could do without thinking twice about it. After all, with administration being a spiritual gift of mine, organizing, delegating and implementing was not a reach. It fit within my natural gifts and comfort zone to do what I could do with my hands and my talents. Though it took lots of careful planning (and a rockin’ team of women and tons of church support), it wasn’t that challenging for me. I could do it, and I could do it effectively.

And on top of all that, it would only require cracking my hands open enough to let God in, just a little bit. It was a “Maybe,” but not a 100%, “definitely.” And I knew He wanted more.

He wanted what I could not do in my own strength. He wanted my “way too hard” and “not within my comfort zone.” He wanted my “beyond my capabilities or wildest dreams” and “what does not come natural to me.” He wanted my trust. He wanted my surrender. He wanted my weakness, not my strength. He wanted the full affirmative from me, and nothing less.

I left the restaurant that day, convinced of what He was leading me to do. Exhausted from the day, I went home and quite literally, crashed.

Morning came early, and I knew what had to come next. I went to my prayer room, which doubles as my office. It’s a place where I have had many conversations with God. But this morning was different. As I eased down to my knees and onto the rough carpet, stained with juice box drippings and dirty shoe residue, I started to cry, finally releasing the lump that had been camped out in my throat. I closed my eyes and said only one word…

“yes.”

As I did, I cracked open my hands, like I had done so many times before. But then I did something different. I kept opening them…farther…farther…a little farther still. I opened them slowly until they were perfectly flat, completely horizontal. And even slower still, I turned them until they were exposing my cracks and creases, fingerprints facing upward.

Open palms.

I said, “yes” with my palms turned up, not knowing exactly what that meant or would mean for me. I just knew it meant that I was no longer saying “no” to Him. I simply couldn't deny surrender any more.

So when He told me to open up my palms in the bathroom on that early morning nearly 6 months ago, I immediately knew what He meant. I was holding back, again. I was doing what came easy to me. I was thinking about my preferences. I was giving into my fears. I was saying “no” in more ways than just through a voicemail to a friend. I wasn’t turning down on opportunity for a conference. I was saying “no” to Him.

And now I find myself leaving on Thursday for the Cayman Islands to go and speak with my good friend, Shari, to a group of beautiful women for the Barefoot and Breaking Free Retreat. I find myself preparing to fly over water and be scared out of my mind doing it. I find myself packing to leave my children for 4 days longer than I want to.

But I also find myself saying “yes” to Him. I find myself with open palms. And in the process, I find myself being completely filled with joy and ready to hear from God.

And the conclusion to my story? After my conversation with God, I called Shari back and left her another voicemail. This time, I said “yes.”

To her and to Him.

post signature

28 comments:

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Great thought...."opening the palms back up". Even when we close them up it's still never to late for God to open them back up!! I'm praying for you today!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh Lisa it's so hard to say yes to God's requests sometimes. It's so hard to give Him our yes's without closing our hands and yanking them back. But His rewards for obedience are worth the fear and the lonliness and the "what ifs." Remember that when you discipline your children, ask hard things of them, it's always to make them better people, safer people. That's the same thing God does with us - He makes us better people to serve and safer people in His arms. blessings, marlene

much2ponder said...

I love this story...and can relate on so many levels. Thanks for being real and putting it out there Lisa.

Yolanda said...

This has tears running...a lump in my throat and my mind racing.

For I have closed my hand to something perhaps God is asking me to open and trust Him.

Would you pray for me? Specifically that if this is what He wants, He will either tell or show me?

Someone has asked me to speak to her church women, and I haven't said yes or no. Lisa, simply, I'm scared, and I know that I know that God wants me depending on Him. But is this Him, or is this her?

Love,
Yolanda

Jamie said...

This post really spoke to me today, friend. This part tugged at my heart in a big way...
"He wanted what I could not do in my own strength. He wanted my “way too hard” and “not within my comfort zone.” He wanted my “beyond my capabilities or wildest dreams” and “what does not come natural to me.” He wanted my trust. He wanted my surrender. He wanted my weakness, not my strength. He wanted the full affirmative from me, and nothing less."
Thanks so much for keeping it real. My surrender, it is exactly what I want to give.
I'll be praying for you!

Shane said...

Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing this conversation. You hit the head on the nail with the thought of what we can do on our own is not a God-sized job. He can accomplish unmeasurable amounts of blessings through us when we let go and follow His will for our lives. Thank you.

Carol said...

Lisa, I relate, I had my hands closed these last few weeks, locked inside my fears. I ended up on the floor much on my knees too. Now Peace has been given.

I'll be praying for your trip, and that our God fills you with the message that he wants you to share.

Carol
P.S thanks for stopping by and saying hi and your encouraging words.

B His Girl said...

Lisa, I forgot to link my blog to my email this morning. I hope the picture spoke to you. Barbara

Paula V said...

This is beautiful, Lisa. I felt glued to every word. Being a person who prefers to skim or quick read or choose blogs or articles that are short to save time, I found myself clinging slowly to every word of yours and now pondering what am I saying no to God.

Can I say as a compliment to you, I would've never thought that you'd have any inhibitions about traveling, speaking, etc. I would've ranked your confidence right up there with the best.

Please take these words as compliments.

I admire your honesty. Your surrender and obedience are wonderful and you know the Lord will bless that. I feel sure He will do amazing things in the midst of your fear of flying and your worry over being away from the youngins.

Blessings, sweet friend.
Paula

On Purpose said...

As I read this today this is what is caught in my throat

"He wanted what I could not do in my own strength. He wanted my “way too hard” and “not within my comfort zone.” He wanted my “beyond my capabilities or wildest dreams” and “what does not come natural to me.” He wanted my trust. He wanted my surrender. He wanted my weakness, not my strength. He wanted the full affirmative from me, and nothing less."

I know He wants me to speak, I know I have said Yes, but now I doubt He chose the right girl. I have so many feelings of not being the right one for the job and not feeling like I have enough of the knowledge of His word..even though it is my hearts desire to know Him more than anything. Wow...I am now here with a lump!

MiMi said...

I will be praying for you as you travel to the Cayman Islands. I know that God must have something very exciting in store for the ladies that you will be speaking to.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You are blessed for being trusted with so much. All will be as it was meant to me, and God will be as He is meant to be...

A faithful Father, completely aware of the plan and walking you through it with his careful care and gentle prodding.

When we open our hands up to the Father, he is faithful to fill them with the blessing of heaven, so that from those hands, his world will know a holy feeding.

Nourish them with the bread of heaven, Lisa. You've been given a sacred charge. I'll be praying.

peace~elaine

Mary R Snyder said...

beautiful, raw, and real. Thanks for sharing this. And thanks for continuing to say yes to Him. He's got some wonderful days ahead of you and He's doing a mighty work in your spirit.
I'm praying for you and for your family. I know it's hard for Mom to be gone.

On Purpose said...

I am back Lisa to say please forgive me for only posting about how your post touched me... a little selfish I know!

As I thought about you yesterday and this trip, I am so excited for you. I know God is using you in so really big huge ways. He is going with you, not before you, not behind you, right there next to you!! He is on the plane holding your hand and will take that fear from you! You are such an amazing woman of God and you live out your walk to encourage and uplift the rest of us, thank you for being YOU!

Karen said...

Dear Lisa,

I agree with Paula and "on Purpose" you are an incredible woman of faith and your openness shines through. I will pray for your trip and for the removal of your fears as you fly over water and leave your family for 4 days. I know you and the women you join will be richly blessed as you minister to each other! (I will also pray for a lack of hurricanes... :))

Be blessed,

Karen

Lelia Chealey said...

Okay. I know have a lump in my throat and tears about to fall onto my desk. Lisa. This got me. There have been things I've been dealing with alone...we've talked of how we're both control freaks. Yah, I'm trying to control and can you believe it's just not workin' for me???
You hit a raw spot with me this morning with this post, you just don't know. I feel encouraged, weepy...like I just need to close the door and escape into His arms. Oh my goodness. Just didn't expect this to grab my heart like it did.
I will be praying for you while you get on the flight of saying yes to the God who wants you on the islands. I wonder what He has up His Majestic sleeve for you my friend!!!
Much love,
Lelia
Thanks again for this post. I wish you could see inside my heart to see what is happening at this moment. It spoke that loud to me. He is so good!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, girl. Thanks for opening up your heart to us.

Love your words and from where they come.

Your kiddos will be just fine this weekend :)

Have a wonderful trip!

Runner Mom said...

Bless your heart! I've got that lump in my throat as well! You will encourage these ladies with your wit, charm, and obedience to Him! I will be praying for you, sweet friend!You can do this! Thank you for opening your heart to us and sharing this moment. There are many who needed this word-through you-directly from God. I'm one of them.
Love you!
Susan

Sharon Sloan said...

Lisa:

This is one of the most moving blog posts I have ever read. You have touched my heart deeply with His truth. Thank you for your honestly...it has ministered His love to me!

My gifts are in administration, too, and I feel God calling me out of that comfort zone. But they are safe and prepared places where He has gone before us.

So excited and can't wait to hear all he does in the Cayman Islands. OK....He could ask you to go to worse places to minister! :)

Praying His perfect peace in your heart and for a special time for your family back home. Beth Moore always says when she goes away to speak, it leaves more room at home for God to work. Wow.

Praying for and rejoicing with you!
Sharon :)

Renee Swope said...

Hey girl!

Oh Lisa, your story is SO MUCH like mine. I ran from God's calling to speak for 10 years. Seriously, I did everything He wanted but that...everything I felt like I could do to serve Him without much risk. One of my greatest fears was leaving my family and then the whole fear of rejection, being vulnerable, questioning why anyone would want to hear anything I had to say, fear of totally forgetting my message... I still fear that sometimes. But leaving my family is still one of the hardest parts. It's a total step of obedience but God blesses it every time. I know you know that. Oh, and I HATE to fly. Ask Aimy Steele. I would grab her arm every time we took off or landed.

I am praying for your trip! I am praying that God is going to bless you and your family in a way that would not be possible if you had not said YES to this assignment. I guess Shari told you I spoke at the retreat there last year and the women are so sweet!!!

You and your man are going to love it! It's absolutely gorgeous and you gotta go snorkeling. It's really an easy flight from Charlotte and I didn't know we were over water until we went from Grand Cayman to Cayman Brac. That is a tiny plane but it was much easier and faster than I thought it would be.

Really, Lisa God is going to use you in a powerful way and He's going to give you the peace and joy you need to get there. Since He was that persistent about your going then there is no doubt He wants you there - and honey you know there is no better place to be than in the center of His will.

I can't wait to hear how it goes!
Hugs,
Renee

Joyful said...

Lisa, this is one of the most personal, touching posts I've read. Thank you for your open honest sharing. I love the visual of opening your hands farther...farther...and farther still. Sweet surrender. Hard surrender. Surrender of obedience and love.

God called me this past March to begin such a journey, and like Jacob, I spent a restless night wrestling with God. He won! Was the path easy? No! Was I terrified? Yes! But, the blessings I would have missed as I learned to trust Him like never before. My God had been too small.

Praying Psalm 121:8 over you - Lisa, the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

He who began a good work in you will complete it. So excited for you!

Blessings,
Joy

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

bring me back a conk or is that with a "k" or how in the world do you spell that kind of shell. You know I got your covered!!! And he has your back. Is. 58:8. "your rear guard".

Love, Leigh

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

You go girls! Keep those palms open and keeping repeating "yes" and you will sore above and beyond what you ever imagine. I will be praying for you. And have fun too!!

In his Graces~Pamela

Laura said...

Such a beautiful offering. It is the hard stuff that He treasures above all. Traveling mercies, Dear One. I know you are gonna knock their socks off! And the Cayman Islands? Wow! How exciting! I can't wait to hear how He works through those open palms this weekend. Praying, praying, praying...

Natalie Witcher said...

I hate flying to, but maye this will lighten you fear a little. A good friend of mine looked me dead in the eyes, after hearing me talk about my fear again, and said, "Natalie, think of it this way; if the plane goes down, you die."

uhhh, thanks?

Can't get much truer than that!

It's hard sometimes to be humble, but the freedom that comes with it is worth every face down moment in carpet needing to be vacuumed.

Lelia Chealey said...

After talking with you tonight and how you're trip was canceled, I had to come back over & re-read this post. This really got me Lisa...
I said, “yes” with my palms turned up, not knowing exactly what that meant or would mean for me. I just knew it meant that I was no longer saying “no” to Him. I simply couldn't deny surrender any more.

He KNEW due to the weather you'd be staying home and yet all He is after is our heart's response. WOW Lisa, I've got goose bumps just thinking about it!! You said Yes when He knew you didn't really have a trip to say yes to, which to me just proves that He's all about our heart condition.
LOVE YOU!! Thanks for the Godly example you daily set for you fellow God chasing sisters!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Beautiful. I so relate to your fears and hesitations. And yet when I say yes, God shows up in a mighty way with strength I don't have. He takes over.

Thank you for sharing.

And I pray the Lord blesses your weekend! I know he will.