Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Taken Back

(First, a quick shout out to my sweet hubby, who went back with me to Houston this past weekend, in more ways than one. And in the process, shared his love, encouragement, strength and pizza with me. Oh, and his arm on the flight home, as I squeezed it to death with every bump and rattle of the plane. And also…his leg for me to sleep on, too. And for a few minutes…even his IPOD. Yeah, he is really that cool. :) Thanks, honey.)

At not quite noon on a crisp, fall day in the early 70’s, one very small, but stubborn girl came into the world to a set of very expectant parents. She would grow up to like things that smell good like Italian food and fresh honeysuckle. She would prefer hugs over kisses, be grouchy in the morning, and appreciate a person with a great laugh and honest bones. She would adore music in a way that should be illegal and detest anything that didn’t seem fair. She would spend her elementary years hiding under tables at restaurants, just in case someone might want to talk to her on the way to the salad bar. She was just that shy.

This life, by the way, started in the great, warm city of Houston, Texas. Home to the Rockets and the Astros and very large roaches and one very small, but stubborn girl.

I’ve been taken back, ya’ll.

To places I’ve known and people I love. To silly stories and meaningful moments and familiar feelings from underneath a restaurant table.

I’m 36 years old, friends. But I’m still that same (once) very small, but stubborn girl.

I fight my urges to hide under the table every time God asks me to stand up and deliver His message. I want to crawl under the safety of a covering and become invisible until the clock says it’s been 24 hours. I want to run to a corner somewhere and be alone with myself as I snuggle up to my security blanket of what feels good. I want to say words with my lips but not mean them in my heart and for once, for it to be ok. I want to serve and I want to be safe, all at the same time. But mostly, I just want to be safe.

And that’s when I’m taken back.

To the place of surrender and the urge to obey. To the love and the purpose and the faith and the conviction and the power and the presence of God. To the knowledge that the Christian life has nothing to do with my preferences. To Him before me…courage over comfort….death in place of self.

It’s a familiar story for me.

It’s the story of one Texas-born very small, but stubborn girl who didn’t like attention and was shy enough to hide under a table to prove it.

Of one much older but still stubborn girl who fights her fears every time she gets on an airplane and stands before a crowd and delivers a message to a group of people who are hungry for Truth.

It's about someone who has be taken back to her roots, having nothing really to do with physical location.

It's about a very small, but stubborn girl, who after being taken back -- gets to go home to her very safe and neat little world and start the surrender all over, again.

Back…and back…and back…and back…and back…and back…and back…
And back, again.

post signature
P.S. The weekend was incredible. I can't possibly put into words how much God did His thing! I stand amazed. And humbled. And grateful.

12 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Lisa I have written your words "courage over comfort" and taped them to my desk. I don't want to forget them. Blessings, marlene

Yolanda said...

This is encouraging Lisa. Some encouragement that I desperately needed!

Thank you.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

On Purpose said...

Lisa as I read this blog this morning I can't help but know God desinged you to be stubborn, He wants you that way. He wants to use you just the way He designed you to be...I see you being stubborn enough to stay true to Him and His purpose for your life! You are a strong woman of God...and are letting God do GREAT BIG things through you!

Laura said...

What a blessing to be "taken back". All grown up, but still the same heart...the same heart that loves Jesus so much! I can see that little Lisa in my mind's eye and marvel at the beautiful woman she has become! I'm so glad your trip to Texas was blessing.
luv,
Laura

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

Hey friend - HWPW that is!! Hope you are doing well. I am thanking the Lord with you for what He did in Houston for this church through you!! Oh girl - He is so proud I am sure!! Leaving for Cinn. tomrorow for Sarahjane. Talk to you more later!! Love, Leigh

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well said. I knew you would shine.

peace~elaine

Karen said...

Lisa,

You have such a way with words; you chose a good vocation (author)! How special to he taken back physically and emotionally to the place where you were formed. You are strong, convicted, (okay and maybe stubborn, but hey, whatever works) and a blessing to us all.

Take care,

-Karen

Amy L Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing, friend!

Somehow, I never pictured you as the shy type.

I was shy too! I don't know that I hid under tables, but I did turn 10 shades of crimson every time I was noticed. Being an identical twin when there were very few (we were the only set through the 5th grade), there were lots of people noticing!

And stubborn.... In 7th grade I had never prayed out loud. A youth leader asked me to pray, and I said I couldn't. He insisted. I said I couldn't. He announced to the 30 some teens that I would open the morning in prayer. I said not one word. Probably not the best approach for either of us, but I dug my heels in.

Sorry I've been a bit absent lately. Hopefully things will calm down here soon.

I do so wish you lived closer and we could hang out or something.

Oh, and it's only stubborn to the people on the opposite side of you. On better days, I like to think of it as perseverance!

Lelia Chealey said...

Amazing where God will take us and how He'll use us when we surrrender all to Him. I think I'm getting closer. :)
Love you,
Lelia

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I am glad you were so blessed with this past weekend. I wnt back to a class reuinine of 27 years and it was a bitter-sweet. I am excited to starting your book on Lelia's blog bible study soon!

In His Graces~Pamela

Sharon Sloan said...

Hi, Lisa.

Love your blog, your writing and mostly your heart for Him and His truth!

We were on a beach vacation this past week and my vacation beach book was "Behind Those Eyes". I didn't finish it all yet, but I am really enjoying it! I appreciate your candor and your transparency! Looking forward to finishing it and recommending it to friends. :)

Sharon

Vickie said...

Hi Lisa, I found your blog through a link from another blog and I have been tremendously blessed by it. You are so real, and I am encouraged by your openness. I have known for so long that God wanted to use me but I have been so self-conscious and feel so out of my element even though I know that I have something to say for Him. Thank you for helping me to take some tiny steps towards what God wants to do through me.

Blessings,
Vickie