Someone posted this picture of me on Facebook yesterday.My first thought in seeing it was, “Oh my! Who is that girl and where was her mother when she walked out the door of her house?” Yes, it’s a scary sight, friends. But give grace, ok? It was the early 90’s!
And that was BEFORE hair extensions. :)
But after adjusting to the sight of my former self (I don’t ever remember being that skinny, by the way!), I thought about something I asked my Bible Study girlfriends to do not long ago that turned out to be a powerful exercise.
We were going through my first book (co-authored with my mother, Kathie Reimer), The 7 Hardest Things God Asks a Woman to Do, and we were at chapter five: God Asks a Woman to Hold On/Let Go. It’s a chapter my mother wrote, and for me, it is one of the most powerful chapters in the entire book, as it talks about some very specific things we need to hold on to in our walk and those things we need to let go of in order to live out in freedom! In a study setting, it always brings out lots of great discussion and provokes many personal feelings and thoughts.
This night was no exception. Women were open and sharing from their heart about how God spoke to them in what they had read. We were just about to pray and close when I asked them to do something that brought on a whole new wave of emotions in all of us.
Prior to arriving, I had asked the women to bring a picture with them from the year they graduated from high school. I asked them to bring it out, hold it in their hands, and look at it -- to look at that young woman in the photo and in the quietness of her heart, silently tell her some things. I asked them to tell her, based on what the woman sitting there today knew and the experiences she’d gone through since that picture was taken, what that young woman in the picture would need to let go of in those 10 or 15 or 20 years between. And then I asked her to tell that young woman in the picture what she would need to hold onto in those years in between, as well.
The exercise made quite an impact. It brought many tears to many eyes. It brought back strong feelings and deep emotions. Including some of my own.
As a tear rolled down my cheek, I looked at that young smiling woman in the picture with her royal blue cap and gown on, and gave her some advice she probably never would have wanted to hear and hoped to never need to know. That young woman, so full of life, probably never knew how much she would need to let go of or hold onto. After all, she was much too busy dreaming big dreams and planning big things. She never knew what the next nearly 20 years would mean for her. She wasn’t supposed to know.
She didn’t know how important it would be for her to let go of…
…those bad decisions she made on graduation night, just 24 hours later.
…those ideals of perfection she was sure she could achieve if she tried hard enough.
…those feelings of inadequacy that made her look for love in all the wrong places.
…those misconceptions in her head that caused her to confuse the truth with a lie.
…those college days, laced with temporary fun, loaded with tons of regret.
…those past mistakes…so they wouldn’t rule or ruin her life or relationships and eat away at her soul.
She also didn’t know about some of the things she would need to hold onto in those nearly 20 years...like...
…her strong upbringing in the church.
...her childlike faith.
…a healthy sense of self and healthy fear of God.
…the importance of respect and character, for herself and toward others.
…the priority of marriage, even when it wasn't the fantasty life she expected it to be.
…the gifts from God, in whatever form they came, and not take them for granted.
…an awareness of what this life -- her life -- is really all about and for what purpose she was made.
And yesterday, when I saw that picture on Facebook, of the same girl I talked to in my graduation picture, I thought about this holding on and letting go thing all over, again. I looked at her with love, and I looked at her with care.
And I gave her grace. She couldn’t have known those things at the time. Life had not afforded her that wisdom or experience at that point. But she now knows. And how her life looks the next 10-15-20 years largely depends on what she does with what she now knows.
...what she now holds onto and what she now lets go of.
And whether she has big hair, short hair, post-baby hips or really young girl thin ones, she is still that same girl in the picture. She is still born to do the same things she was born to do in a Houston hospital in the early 70’s. She is still created with the same DNA make-up she had at birth. Her physical make-up may have changed from 1990 to 2008, but that is only a matter of preference and the natural aging process. It has nothing to do with who she really is.
And so…though I may cringe over the styles in this picture of me from 1990, I also have to see it with the eyes of my Creator and know that the girl in that picture was and is now on a journey that will have many ups and downs. Many twists and turns. Many high moments and many really, really low ones.
But in every up and down…twist and turn…high and low moment…one thing remains the same.
My beautiful Jesus.
The One to hold onto.
And it gives me a new thing to tell that young woman in the picture.





23 comments:
I have a hard time looking at pics of myself from years back. I always look at myself and think wow, do you realize how you really looked then? So I always shy away when my family wants to bring out the 'old pics'.
But you have put a new twist to this and I really like it. I know that without even looking at a picture, I look at myself as I was then and how I am now. I do it often and I am always wishing that someone had told me some things then.
I am trying hard to live my life with no regrets. I am looking at my life in terms of experiences or lessons, and it's not easy but as you said the plans that I believe God has for me now, He also had those same plans for that young lady back then, they haven't change.
I don't think after reading this post that I will shy away from my old pics, I definitely think I am going to look at her with new eyes and new respect, seeing that she did what she could then with what she had and what she knew.
Thank you for an interesting post.
Blessings,
Vickie
Congratulations on your 100th post! I am so glad that I found you through Lelia's blog and have the opportunity to do this upcoming study. I am really finding so much encouragement in your words and above all else, the truth that is shared.
I think this activity you did was such a great idea. It makes me think a lot about who I was years ago and the woman I am now. There were many things I needed to know to let go of.
I have learned-through many, many mistakes that the One I do need to hold onto is Jesus. How thankful I am for His forgiveness, unconditional love, healing, and His grace.
Thanks for your encouraging words!
Lisa~
I'm so THANKFUL that I've found your blog, and that I'm joining Lelia and her on-line Bible Study from your book Behind Those Eyes.
Your post today was truly powerful, and it brought tears to my eyes. I'm now going to have to go on the hunt to find "The Seven Hardest Things God asks a woman to do".
Due to my current situation...I really feel this book is JUST what I need.
Thanks so much...for speaking "HIS" truth...and blessing my soul.
Kim~
And just when I think God can't get any cooler, bigger, and better than He was yesterday...He gives you such inspiring words to touch our hearts with today.
May I never look at a picture of myself the same again!!!
Hey, lady! What a great post for your 100th! Woohoo!
Your brought about so many emotions with your words! Wow! As I sit here with my lips quivering--trying not to cry, I just want to say thank you, sweet friend for encouraging me to remember!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Love ya,
Susan
Lisa, congratulations on your 100th post. This spoke to my heat so much, because that's exactly where I've been these last 2 years learning to give myself grace for my past, and live for Jesus.
Love,
Carol
Lisa, what a beautifully expressed post. (Very appropriate to celebrate your 100th, I think!)
My eyes were filled with tears as I read it. I could be you.
Thank you for sharing your heart.
Praise God for His Truth in 2 Corinthians 5:17: "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"
Lisa, this made me thing of my yester years, high school and post. All those regrets and decisions made so unwisely.
I think I too need to put this book of your's on my "to read" list...that list is getting very long.
Sometimes, I feel I need someone to tell me what God is telling or asking me. Maybe this book will get my juices flowing in thinking what God might be saying to me.
Thanks, Lisa. I look forward to doing the online study with Lelia and have the author along with us. How cool is that?
Love,
Paula
I'm crying.
Love you,
Lelia
Beautiful post Lisa. It reminded me of a segment on an Anita Renfroe DVD I just viewed. She reads a letter that she wrote to her 'younger self', advising her on things that worked out in her life and things she should avoid. Although it started funny, before it concluded my eyes were misty.
Congratulations on your 100th post!
Blessings,
Joy
PS. I just came back from our Christian bookstore and ordered a copy of your book, "Behind Those Eyes". Looking forward to reading it.
Lisa,
I am so grateful to have read this post. It makes me think about the things that are so important to hold on to, and wonder what I am going to have to let go of...
I am thinking back to the picture of myself in June of 1992, graduation day... oh if I could have only told her to cling to Jesus, and not other guys for the love she so wanted.
Then I might not have had to write the post I did last night.
Thank you for sharing this exercise. It helped me more than you know.
I can't wait to start the study on your book! I am so excited to be able to join one of Lelia's studies finally!
God bless,
heather
My sister and I had a girls night out last night. When I shared your post with her, the tears were falling over our Spinach/Artichoke dip at Applebee's.
Thanks so much for sharing this with us.
Love you,
Lelia
a wonderful exercise, Lisa, and one that I don't want to rush through. Thus, no clever or deep revelation from me this day. But I think it worthy, and I will journal about it tonight.
Letting go and holding onto...
for sure, one thing:
Letting go of man's approval and holding onto God's. This, alone, would have saved me some tremendous heartache!
Have a blessed Sabbath rest.
peace~elaine
This was great Lisa! Very powerful. The picture was cracking me up, though!! Girlfriend! :)
Lisa,
I must be honest your picture on your post caught my eye immediately and I said to myself, "Oh my gosh what big hair." After I chuckled for a moment, I quickly remembered styling my hair the same way, mile-high bangs and all. (What were we thinking anyway?)
I like your hair much better now. But the post is not about hair. I really enjoyed the post for the message. We all have regrets but I've learned so much from my mistakes and how much I need my Jesus every minute, every second, of every day.
Happy 100th post!
Hugs,
Renee :)
Lisa -- this was just wonderful! I had someone post a picture of me on MySpace and it really freaked me out. I couldn't figure out who this person was and why she'd have my picture from my Freshman year.
I was working on a post about who I am today (as opposed to the girl in the picture). Your post did my heart good.
Take care sweet friend -- and I think you look super 90s cool.
What an awesome concept! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to the posts that we will all share as we journey together with this next bible study that Lelia hosts, and your the gracious author doing it right there with us.
Lovingly,
Yolanda
This is so powerful!! I think I will take the time with my high school picture and "talk" to "her".
I can only imagine the emotions that will be stirred up during this time.
I am waiting for your book "Behind Those Eyes" to arrive so I can be a part of Lelia's book study. I am very anxious to start.
God bless!
Kim from PA
**oh--congrats on the 100th post!!
A great post -- thanks for being so honest and transparent. A perfect post for number 100!
Your sweet heart blesses us all.
I enjoyed your post. Interestingly enough a friend and I were just discussing looks - always been a place of struggle for me. Kind of grew up like a tomboy and looked like it too. I so enjoyed the activity you presented, I'm never one to enjoy looking at my old pictures, but this is something I may need to do. My friend who's known me for 10 years was commenting how I have changed, even in looks, and yesterday I had heard a quote that put this all together by Anne Graham Lotz - "Lord change me on the inside so I can reflect your glory on the outside." He does more than change my looks, but since I've realized my value in Him, it changes the way I even see myself. You're right I should see a different person when I look at that senior pic from 15 years ago, I was a different person. Think I better go have a talk with her!
I'm signed up to do the study thru Lelia's blog and am looking forward to it. But a bit nervous too, I've been one more apt to put on the mask.
Thanks, Jill
Lisa, you are just adorable! I bet your hair was the envy of every girl in your class!
I can't wait to start our online study of your new book. I just know it will be amazing. Just as it sounds like your current Bible study is!
Wow! what an exercise. I can imagine how moving it must have been. I've done something similar...it's so hard to look back at the naive young girl I was and know all the wrong choices she will make.
But God is so good to me. He whispers how much He loves me. How He forgives. Is there anything more amazing than His love?
Not even your big hair, my friend!
Love you!
I love my old pictures! Love the post. Loved the book!
Lisa,
You have stirred some feelings in me with conversing with our younger selves. I have a picture in mind, and I am going to ask those hard questions. My question for you is where did you graduate from? I graduated in 1990 also from a high school in Houston. Interesting! Thank you for your thoughts and insight.
Post a Comment