One was from a young woman who sits on one side of the room in my Wednesday night Bible study class.
The other was from a young woman who sits on the opposite side of the room in the same class and the opposite side of life.
One had a stormy childhood and many wounds from her past, while the other led a very charmed life with a great upbringing.
They look completely different, with hair color hues of stark contrast. They are in very different seasons of life. One is married and has kids. One isn’t and doesn’t.
But though they look very different from the outside, the theme of their emails was strikingly similar. Both of them wrote to me about how they long to get real and stop pretending.
And it reminded me of how in one way or another, the threads of Ms. Perfection weave in and out of all of us.
The truth is, Ms. Perfection could be any of us. And often, she is.
What I hear in your comments on this blog from Chapter 2 is exactly what I have heard many women say over the past 5 months Ms. Perfection has made her grand debut. And that is, that though we sometimes think we have to be perfect, what women really crave from one another is to see a person who is “real.” When I got this email today from my friend, Kim, I was reminded of this truth. With her permission, here’s a portion of it…
Recently, I called a room parent meeting where I was in charge. {Lisa’s commentary: Kim is in charge of our elementary school Parent-Teacher Association} It is taking me way out of my comfort zone, as I’m a good Indian – but I’ve never really been a “Chief” with much before. So, I called this room parent meeting, had {the principal} there, probably spent 6 hours or more preparing resources for them and canvassing the teachers, other room parents and administration for feedback. I was really nervous Sunday prior to the meeting, because I just do not do well getting up in front of people. My stomach was a mess Monday morning, but I got up and dressed in work pants, black sweater set, jewelry, did my hair all curly – took extra care with my make up etc. I figured if I were a mess inside, I’d at least look the part from the outside. I got the kids ready and brought them with me up to the school. So I get to the meeting – do my thing and it goes really well – there were probably 30 people there. After it was over, and there were still about seven or eight people left in the room I walk to the front to get my coffee and I’m walking toward the back of the room to talk with someone and I twist my ankle in my high heels (that are supposed to make me look tall, sophisticated and slender) and – just picture this – do a face plant in the carpet (but I don’t spill my coffee!). Lisa – I just sat in a heap on the floor and laughed – until I cried! The other ladies in the room laughed with me – but when we quieted, there was a lady sitting in the back of the room who just looked at me and said “I’m so glad that you did that”. I’m sure I looked at her like she was crazy and just said “It’s been that kind of morning!”. She said – “You would never have know that. I’ve been sitting here the entire time watching you – wondering how you are so put together and organized and thinking that I am the only one in this room who doesn’t know what they are doing or have it all together.” I was floored – that anyone would think that about ME. I started talking with her and she happens to be the room mom for [my daughter’s} teacher last year and it led to a conversation about her being a single mom. I thought about how God was using my bad choice in shoes and ultimately my fall to break the ice with the lady that I really did need to have a conversation with. Wow. I just thought this went right along with what we’ve been talking about in our study – me wanting to look perfect and together and bringing me literally to my knees to make a difference in someone’s life.
What Kim experienced is what I see as the beauty in shedding off this whole Ms. Perfection thing. It’s that “desired result” I blogged about on Friday, and it is only possible when we realize that perfection isn’t the goal but rather, a huge and unnecessary hindrance in our life.
Speaking of conversation, I was so glad that Jill commented about how she was thinking that it might be a good idea to talk to her children about not having to be perfect. In my opinion, I believe a simple conversation about this, followed up by action, can do an enormous amount of good. More often than I can count a woman will share with me about how a perfectionistic parent shaped the way they view the world…their relationships…and mostly, themselves. One of the richest blessings that has come out of the Bible Study group on Wednesday night is when one woman talked about how after reading the chapter on Ms. Perfection, she felt led to have a conversation with her preteen daughter about how she doesn’t want her to feel as though she must be perfect. In turn, I had a similar conversation with my oldest son. How freeing it must be for a young person to know they are not expected to bear the burden of a perfectionistic mindset for the rest of their life.
How freeing it would have been for many of us had we had such a conversation with our parent about this very thing.
But most of us didn’t.
It’s hard for our children to believe us when we say they don’t have to be perfect but see us running around like crazy, trying to be. The best way to encourage a child to stay away from perfectionism is to live that way and model it, ourselves. But it has to be genuine and real. Kids have amazing radar for those kinds of things.
Girlfriends, know today that even if you never had that conversation with a conscientious parent growing up, it’s never too late to have that conversation with your Heavenly parent about it.
To ask Him how to surrender those perfectionistic tendencies when they crop up.
To acknowledge to Him with your lips and mean it in your heart that you simply can’t be that woman anymore.
To just sit with Him awhile and let Him convince you that He doesn’t expect your perfection, He really just wants your heart.
And if it takes a pen mark on a skirt to remind us of that, so be it. Or a fall in a cute pair of heels. Whatever it takes.
In which case, we may need to remember that being Ms. Perfection can actually be hazardous to our health.
Or at least, our perfect little ego.





24 comments:
All of us are like the rest of us. Such an encouragement to read this. Thanks Lisa.
Blessings,
Joy
Lisa,
Thank you so much for writing this book. God is using it to hold up a mirror and ask if I like what I see.
Sallye
Lisa,
Your book is blessing me so much. The ladies who are reading along with me are amazing. You brought us together, dear one! I know what you will say: it's all for Him...
Yes. It is.
OH wow!! I love that your friend realized that God brought her literally to her knees in the middle of reading this book. He just is so amazing. Please tell her thank you for letting you share that with us.
Your life continues to bless from coast to coast and across the waters.
You are a true, real Girlfriend and you know how I feel about ya: Blessed blessed blessed!!!
Love you,
Lelia
Hi Lisa, I love this post. It's true that some people are just waiting for another to show their real self to open up and feel comfortable. God brings us all together in such amazing, and often comical, ways and shows that He has a sense of humour plus loves us immensely.
I wish that my parents had given me the "you don't need to be perfect" talk, but they didn't. I will certainly be encouraging my daughter that it's OK to not be perfect in all that she does, and to also tell her that it's Gods job to do the perfecting of us.
I'm looking forward to the DVD post. Something new and interesting!
In Him, Paula :-)
It's not so hard accepting I am imperfect as it is being accepted by others for my imperfections. That's where my spiritual glasses come into play...trying to see myself as God see's me. It's humbling and uplifting at the same time!
You are a blessing girl!
In His Graces~Pamela
Lisa,
I love this post! this is one that I need to keep tucked away for sure!
I totally agree with you about passing the gift of not striving for perfection onto our children, and that they will learn from our example. I want so much to instill this truth in the hearts of my children. For Jesus to make His truth of who they are in Him to be deeply rooted.He isn't looking for perfection, just a heart that will follow Him.
First of all, you must tell your friend Kim that I think she rocks (for her realness! for sharing her authenticity! and for NOT having it all together...). I think women who are real are a breath of fresh air.
I love this:"when we realize that perfection isn’t the goal but rather, a huge and unnecessary hindrance in our life." Oh, girl. That is so freeing to me!
Also, thank you so much for pointing out (and Jill too!) that we should be frank with our children about perfectionism. That we should not pass this idolatrous (is that even a word?) sin on to our next generation without a fight! Oh, I do not want my sweet little ones to live with a trap that I have been lugging around. God is sooooo using you to bless my family with this, Lisa!
So glad to be doing this study. God bless your busy week!
Darlene
What a great post... and thanks for your email. You are an inspiration.
http://katemcdonald.wordpress.com
Thank you for the encouraging post. I am snickering to myself as I want to add - on your own book.
Great story on Kim, thanks to you and to her for sharing it because it is life, REAL life!
Oh, how I just want to be more real, more like Him, less like me, but even moreso, loving others in my life in their authenticity also!
I don't know what to say but thank you. Thank you for sharing part of Kim's email. I cannot tell you how much that touched me. I mean there was so much power in her testimony. I was almost brought to tears and definitely had Holy bumps when that woman said she was glad Kim fell and the conversation that proceeded.
How VERY awesome that is. That is just like our God. I mean, who else could use our desire to be perfect and wear the perfect heels, and allow those perfect feel to stumble all to result in such a fabulous ending. We may never know what that experience did for that room mother...how it gave her reassurance or confidence to be who she is and to release her from anxiety of not having it all together.
I'm not sure why but this story has really touched me. I am not a mother. I am not a teacher. I do not present in meetings like this. I have nothing "in common" is what I'm saying to this specific story. BUT, I see SO much power in it.
Praise be to Jesus for how he works in our lives. May we all remember "His ways are not our ways" even when it comes to cute heels.
As I mentioned on my blog, God can't use perfection. He has no use for it. Of course, He can use those of us trying to be perfect but perfection has no real use to Him, only brokenness does!
Blessings sweet one,
Paula
Lisa,
This post was great. Thank you to Kim for letting you share her email. Oh I laughed, I have done that exact same thing tried to be perfect on the outside, and then landed right on my softside.:)
God uses every opportunity to show us and others how he loves us.
Teaching my daughter to love who she is because she's a child of God, has been a strong conviction for me. I found my self putting that pressure on her and God brought it to my heart this summer. I'll be blogging about that later this week. Needless to say my husband I are seeing God's fruit growing in her, as we let her be her not who we think she should be.
Love,
Carol
Miss/Ms/Mrs Perfection IS anyone of us, isn't she!!! In one way or another. I just think it's so unreal of God to show us, as we go along learning things, how he fits the puzzle into place with each one of us as the pieces. As you go around Blogland and read, and as I've read and re-read the book over the past 3 days, it is so clear God's hand is guiding us with our thoughts and support and encouragement. A little example is that last week I posted (without the book, without knowing the titles of your chapters) about a Mother and I feeling relief for sharing something we'd kept hidden re our parenting, and then the next chapter and all the blogs I've read and the tappings at my heart - "yes' I'm listening, Lord"... really touched on this and made me see that it was a form of perfectionism that was effecting how I was living... It was stopping me from being and effective Christian witness, it was stopping me from being a support to those whom God may have put in my path and because of my sin I was blinded, and it was stopping me from being an effective sister to a non-believer, my beautiful, real-life sister. A number of months ago I asked God for help because I didn't want to live a life that saw me claim to be a Christian yet thrashed myself as a parent. You wrote out what I did - "To acknowledge Him... and mean it in your heart that you simply can't be that woman anymore". You put what I did into words for me, and even though that may not sound like a big deal, to me, it is just another insight into God working things "for the good of those who love Him" (Rom. 8:28). See, apart from praying that prayer of surrender, I did not know what to do with myself... and then along comes this study... Blessings to you. And don't 'bust your boiler' - get to us when and if you can... we know we're held in prayer by you during this study. Blessings. Naomi x
Lisa,
Thank you for this post and the one you did last Friday for us. When I read the one on Friday, I cried and was going to comment but had to leave for work and never got back to it. God worked so much in my heart last Friday as I drove to work listening to my christian station. You see am I one who has ruined nearly every relationship she has had by pretending. I even had a guy I was dating tell me one time that the reason our relationship didn't work was because I never needed him. My fear of rejection,or hurt has kept me from letting people get to close, while all I really wanted was someone to love me for who I really was. How could they when I couldn't. I can remember riding in the car and telling Jesus that I knew he loved me but I wanted someone on this earth to love me also.
Again thank for putting your heart in this book, thanks for your friends that allow you to share their experiences with us and thanks for encouraging us to keep on keeping on to be real.
Praising God for He is pulling off masks and speaking to His daughters hearts!!
You Go God!!
Lisa,
I am this book...I can relate to each and every character. This is forcing me to face these women that I once was eye to eye and see who I was and who I have become.
Tessa
Lisa, thank you for sharing this.
I have not bought the book yet but have been following along on the blogs.
I just had a talk with my soon to be 16year old (in seven days). A couple days ago I started to focus on how she gets really mad with herself when things don't go right. Even though she does her best all that matters is the end result. I spent some time letting her know she should not be so hard on herself. She thinks she has to get it all right all the time.
I am glad to read this today because I will definitely talk to her some more about this issue.
Blessings,
Vickie
Hey Lisa - I loved your log today and really wishing I had taken your class on Wednesday's. It especially hit me about teaching your kids you don't have to be perfect. I just had a conversation with both my girls about the new Kingdom Choices behavior program at school. I noticed the other day that their goal was 35 "points". They can earn 7 a day for 5 days of school and that makes 35, which is perfection! It bothered me a little that the teacher's goal for the kids was well, perfection. I told the girls that Jesus was the only perfect person and that we should strive for that and to be more like him, but that we can never be perfect and that Jesus nor I expect perfection.
Thank you so much for praying for me by name tonight...
it was timely, my sister in Christ.
Thank you,
Darlene
Thanks for the prayer. It's fun to have you along for the ride.
I love the picture of the kids. They look jubilant!
Hi Lisa, thanks for stopping by, and thank you for your prayer. I just checked out your little clip on your web page so now I can put the voice behind the words as I'm reading! I'm loving the chapter and Ms Confidence, just like I'm loving your book.
Yes, my friend and I are "you have lipstick on your teeth" chicks and tell it like it is, moreso with each other than anyone else. I value realness and truth about myself from others, and actually thrive on constructive criticism. I only see the Paula from this side of my eyes, so it's good to get an idea of what others see.
See you back here on Tuesday for Chapter 3!
Love In Him, Paula :-) xo
Thank you for your prayers and for writing a book that is so relevant to women every where. I am Ms. Confidence so this next week should be interesting for me. Thanks for the blessing you are and for being obedient to share what God is speaking to your heart. Connie
Lisa,
I can't thank you enough for a couple of things. Thank you so much for this book you have written. I have needed it so much. Hearing more and more, or should I say reading more and more, this book has really hit me where I am at.
I am somewhere in the middle of all the process of unmasking. I recognize, as I read, the stages that I have gone through. And I can also see the stages that are still to come. I see, and know, the validity of unmasking. But I still struggle with it. I have identified with parts of each chapter so far (I have read ahead to this coming weeks chapter), so I suppose that I am a composite of all these areas... as I suppose everyone is.
Probably the perfectionist part of me (that I seem to identify with the most so far) wants to see me fall into a certain slot... not be a composite!
Thank you as well, Lisa, for your sweet comment and reminder on my post, to cling to the truth. And for your prayers for me. This week has been incredibly challenging. I started the week with leading a worship team... being the leader, rather than just singing on it. After that I just got hit. The depression hit me like a ton of bricks and by Wednesday, I was a mess. I took a couple of days off of blogging, and even emailing... just to take that time to focus on God. It worked fairly well. I am tired, I am still struggling, I am still depressed... but I am still fighting for the truth.
Thank you for praying for me by name. I am so grateful... and I am so thankful to be involved in this study.
God bless,
Heather
I am that girl with the broken past and stormy childhood and I do long to be real and stop pretending. Thank you for guiding me through your book and study to do that very thing- get real! God is taking me on a journey!
Renee :)
Post a Comment