“My eyes have grown dim with grief; my whole frame is but a shadow.”
Job 17:7
If ever anyone was a griever, Job was. In fact, had Job known he was going to have to lose all his money, his health, and even his family in order to get a book of the Bible named after him, I suspect he might have passed on the offer. He sure had to endure some heavy stuff for his name to go down in history.
Job knew intimately what most of us, at this point on our journey, know, too...
Sometimes life just doesn’t go the way we want it to.
On the life spectrum, this can mean many things, from the more minute to the most monumental. The more minute might include taking a burnt roast out of the oven as the doorbell rings and company arrives for dinner. Seeing a cute hairstyle in the magazine and asking your stylist to cut it that way, just to find out it looks better on the model in the magazine. A rained out picnic. A surprise party that goes south. Unexpected dental work followed by a really large and unexpected dental bill. A car that won’t start.
These things are disappointing, yes. But are they truly grief-worthy?
I doubt it.
It should be noted here that Job would have probably jumped at the chance to have any of these life inconveniences happen to him. After all, when you are facing issues that have the potential to rock you to your core and change your life forever, you opt for the slightly less tragic door #2. You’ve peeked, and you already know what’s behind door #1.
Loss of health. Loss of love. Loss of life. Missed opportunities. Total life letdowns. Should have been, could have been, would have been. Almost. Not quite. Never will be. Period. End of story. Major life experiences that impact you forever. Things you would never wish on someone, and that includes yourself. A state of being that includes hurt, disappointment, denial, and yes…grief.
It’s not a very pretty picture.
But it is a very real picture of life.
This morning, as I am coming off of a Sunday Bible study lesson in the book of Ezekiel, I find myself reflecting on the question, “Have I gone there? Have I really let myself grieve?”
At first, it seems like a funny question to ask myself when I haven’t lost anyone I love recently. The truth is, I haven’t had anything overwhelmingly bad enough happen to me lately to cause me to want to tear my clothes, shave my head or take a piece of something really sharp and broken and run it across my body to relieve pain. (All things, by the way, Job did in his grief.)
But I have had things in my life that I needed to grieve over. I have had times in my life that bad things happened to me or someone I loved…things I didn’t understand or appreciate. I have had losses and pain and letdowns and sorry endings. I have had things that exceeded just being a bummer and could be gotten over easily.
I have had to look my sin in the face and call it what it is. I have had to go to bed at night wishing I would wake up in a different place, at a different time, in a different life circumstance. I have cried in a closet. I have worried about tomorrow.
Because sometimes, that is just life.
Just ask Kris Lawing.
Or my sister, Jen.
Or the man himself, Job.
If any of us live for very long, we face things we need to grieve over. Because of the fallen world we live in, it is just a reality of life. Life is not always roses or daisies or even, carnations. But life has to be kept on living.
So, we choose to live. But first, often, we need to grieve.
This doesn’t mean we spend our time in a fetal position, curled up in a state of despair or hopelessness. As my good friend, Amy, says, hope is a choice. It is a choice to press on…live on…love on…
…and look at tomorrow with God-colored glasses.
And grieving is a part of that.
Grieving is acknowledging that life is not always good and things that happen do not always seem fair. Grieving is seeing our missed opportunities, our dreams that haven’t been realized, our goals that are unachieved and our hurts that have been worn in our hearts for what they are. Grieving is letting go of the would have beens, should have beens, and wished they’d have beens for what is real and true and parked right under our noses. Grieving is letting go of the past to focus on the future. Grieving is saying it is what it is, and though I don’t love it, I can’t change it. Grieving is prayers of honesty, integrity and maybe even, anguish. Grieving is Godly sorrow over sin. Grieving is letting yourself go there, even if you’d rather stuff it inside for a while longer. Grieving is real, and grieving is good.
Because of what comes after.
“I'll convert their weeping into laughter, lavishing comfort, invading their grief with joy.” Jeremiah 31:13 (the Message)
Often…
Crying precedes laughing.
Pain precedes comfort.
and…
Grieving precedes a beautiful invasion of joy.
It’s not that we want to go there; it’s just that sometimes…we need to. We have to so we can move on to the really good stuff.
Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





15 comments:
You put it so nicely here. Thank you for taking the time. Recently coming to terms with some long standing effects of childhood issues has brought me to the place where I have been able to walk back through the mud and the muck and truly take a look at where the Lord has brought me from. Now looking at things from a much more objective perspective, I can see how the Lord has used problems in my life that were unfair and damaging to his Glory. I praise him and give my life to him, knowing full well difficulties are a part of this life I live. God is good and he makes all things new, if we allow him to.
Lisa, this is a beautiful, honest post.
Job is one of my favorite passages of the bible. Maybe because there have been little pieces of time that I could relate to him, where it seemed that my world was crashing down, very quickly.
I have a friend who recently went through a really hard situation. And I love this "Godly Sorrow". Because it's through the godly sorrow, true healing can begin. In fact, she has been praying for godly sorrow, because she hasn't had it yet.
Great stuff!
Love this post for so many reasons! I am one of those people going through truly life-altering circumstances. I want my old life back (kind of). Jesus and I are so much closer because of it all, but there are many things I truly grieve. Or, I guess I need to. I really haven't gone there because I don't want to believe that the cirucmstances won't change.
Also, I appreciate what you said about those "minute" things being disappointing and not grief-worthy. If only others would grasp that. It gets frustrating to hear people complain about things. However, my life now has given me perspective on what really matters.
Love your writing, I think I'll grieve some today.
Sheryl
Wow, that was an awesome post! Your question has provoked me into thinking...just the kinds of questions I like by the way! :)
Thanks for being real! Your writing style is so beautiful...I love reading your posts.
Prayers and blessings,
Rebecca
I liked the part of grieving having integrity with just being truthful.
Sometimes others don't like the raw/truth that I speak if circumstances that involve ME; but I know that being real with them, doesn't allow the enemy to have a hold on me by those situations. An that, Girlfriend, is HEALING!
Blessings!
Dear Lisa and all,
I was recently struck by this verse;
Psalm 56:8 (New Living Translation)
8 You keep track of all my sorrows.
You have collected all my tears in your bottle.
You have recorded each one in your book.
What an amazing vision of God collecting our tears in His bottle, like a treasure. The God of all comfort, who binds up the broken-hearted and sets the captive free; He promises "The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces;" (Isaiah 25:8).
I was thinking about times when I have grieved over my situation and was comforted by the thought that grieving is often a way to wash the soul. And how reassuring it is that God hears us and collects our tears.
Hebrews 5:7-8;
7During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. 8Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered (NIV).
I hope these thoughts give you comfort when you grieve.
Blessings,
Karen
Thank you for writing this today Lisa, I definitely needed to read it! I needed to be reminded that God designed all of our emotions and that in His caring arms He will walk us through all of them!
Have a great day! You are a beautiful woman of God!
Nichole
I loved this post. You put it so beautifully. I recently realized that we sometimes also need to grieve unmet expectations. I have had to grieve my extended family. They are all alive and kicking...kicking against God mostly. For that I have to grieve the idea that they will fully support me and my husband in ministry. They wont! Accepting that and grieving the loss of that expectation has helped relationships. God in turn like Mark 10:29-30 has replaced it with a supportive Christian family!
Keep the wisdom coming I sure am getting fed!
Love,
Pamela R.
Lisa,
This is the first time that I have left a comment on your blog, but I have been reading and benefiting from it for some time now. God has truly blessed you with a special ability to communicate your thoughts to others.
I feel like I sort of know you -- my oldest daughter was in youth group at HGBC with Dean and knew your husband from there.
I read your post yesterday about Kris and it really touched my heart. I will definitely be praying for him and his family in the coming days. If I am not mistaken, I think my husband and I may have known his grandparents years ago. Do you know if they attended a large church off I85 in Charlotte?
Thank you so much for this post. Thank you for always being honest, transparent and real.
May God richly bless you and your family today!
"I have had to look my sin in the face and call it what it is. I have had to go to bed at night wishing I would wake up in a different place, at a different time, in a different life circumstance. I have cried in a closet. I have worried about tomorrow." These words touched me so deeply. From your description of grieving, I would have to say that I am still there even after a year of my trial. That's no surprise to me but it's reality and a reality that God is using for my good.
Thanks for addressing this hard issue. I also love how you differentiated between the minute thing and the grief-worthy things.
Paula
Amen.
Thanks for helping me realize anew that sometimes there is a purpose in the grieving even if I'd rather not have it. God often uses it to mold us.
I think it was Eleanor Roosevelt that said something to the effect of, "I feel sorry for those who cannot weep with their whole heart because they also cannot laugh with their whole heart." (Loose quote . . . .)
Such wise words!Thank you for giving me me so much to think about this morning. You are a blessing!!!
hey my sweet friend - just thinking about you today and wanted to tell you i sure do appreciate and love you!! Hope your week is going well. We are doing just fabulous!! talk at you soon!! Leigh
I came across your blog via someone else's and I'm so glad I did. You are a gifted writer! I look forward to visiting your blog often because you have some very profound thoughts. Great post!
So often we think of grief when we lose a loved one. Your post is a great reminder that we experience losses all of the time (perhaps not of the same magnitude as a person) and it's important that we do acknowledge those and allow ourselves to deal with those feelings that accompany shattered dreams, loss of friendships, regrets, etc. Thanks for your insightful words.
God Bless!
I found your blog through Amy's site. And I backtracked to read some earlier posts. This one prompted me to respond.
I definitly have been going through the grieving process this year. God has taken me though situation after situation, and helped me grieve through it, see it for what it was, know that i can't change it, but that He was there all along, and that He is there now, helping me to heal... He did it again in my most recent counseling session. Things I have stuffed, I have cried through, forgiven those involved, confessed my sin (still working on the forgiving myself part of it...) and He is helping me focus on the future...
What He might be calling me to do with these experiences.
God is good, and I have to trust, because there is no other hope but Him.
God bless, and thank you for these words...
Heather
Post a Comment