We find Gideon in a hole somewhere, getting grains for his starving family to eat, minding his own business. Keenly aware of the needs of his “community,” he works diligently at a job that will pay off in dividends for his hungry crew. And boy, are they hungry. After doing evil in the sight of God, the Lord had removed His powerful hand from them and given them over to the cruel Midianites for seven long years to do with them what they would. A complete free-for-all, the Midianites had been stealing from the Israelites and driving them out of their land, resulting in a serious lack of food. It was for that reason Gideon was in a hole, threshing away, in the first place. Which is exactly where we find him in Judges 6.
He is simply doing what he knows to do to where and when he knows to do it.
Present Obedience.
Things had been ok for a while in Gideon's world. Actually, for a good long while. Under the direction of rockin’ Judge Deborah, Israel had known peace for 40 years. That is until they fell back into their flesh and started sinning, again. When it finally dawned on them that they needed help (somewhat of a “duh” moment after being run off, stolen from, attacked, and left with nothing), they turned to the Lord. Enter help in the form of the grain getter himself, Gideon.
Surely the "man" who showed up, sitting under the tree, would not have been what Gideon was expecting to look up from the hole and see that day. Surely Gideon wasn’t expecting his conversation with the "man" to take him from a grain thresher one day to a nation deliverer the next. Surely he wasn’t looking to pick a fight when he did as he was told to do and tore down the altar of the little g “god” his community was worshipping. Surely he didn’t expect to be mentioned with all the greats in Hebrews 11 one day because of his faith and convictions. Surely.
But he was doing what he was supposed to be doing where and when he was supposed to be doing it. And that’s when the Lord showed up and changed his life forever.
Present Obedience.
…Faithful in the little, but prepared for the much.
…Living in the world of now, but open to the world of more.
…Committed to being content, but ready to be radical.
There’s no contradiction in the terms of this present obedience, ya know. It is not an either-or situation. It is a both-and state of being. It’s about where you are. It is about who you are. It is about who you are where you are.
It's about being ready, just in case a "man" shows up under one of your trees one day and you’ve never seen Him before, to be found doing what you are supposed to be doing where you’re supposed to be doing it when you're supposed to be doing it.
You never know when something like that just might change your life forever.





15 comments:
"A man showing up under one of your trees" like Jesus looking up at Zaccheus---come on down! Lisa, you can so tell a story! You so draw me in and I'm holding my breath to hear what my God is saying to me. I just read Psalm 45:5 - "seek not great things for yourself...seek them not." So, God so spoke through this post to fold the arms of faith but not of action. My husband took a ministry position TODAY and we start moving to Austin tomorrow after living under these trees for 33 years. I just LOVE your writing from your heart! Whoa!
Hi, Lisa.
Love your beautiful blog! :) We met at She Speaks 2008.
Your new book is "on deck" for me to read next...can't wait!
Your blog anchor verse (Psalm 51:6) is one of my favorites!
Blessings and peace,
Sharon
I love the thought of being "committed to be content, but ready to be radical"!
You really have the gift of story-telling.
Thanks for challenging me.
Emilie
What a wonderful story and a fabulous reminder to start this Monday morning.
Blessings to you,
Shannon
Surely, it wasn't an accident for me to read this this morning. Present Obedience was just what I needed to dwell on. It is so easy to look forward and wish things to come to past but to live faithful in the little and committed to being content is really where true peace lies. Thank you for the reminder and encouragement for the day.
You're a blessing!
Hi Lisa,
Love this post! Although I don't like my present circumstances I am trying to let God use them and use me. Being content and waiting. (and remember, I said I am trying)
Who would have thought that little old Gideon would be called a mighty warrior. Nothing is impossible.
Love the way you write! Thanks for encouraging us to think deeper.
-Sheryl
Lisa,
I just today was thinking about "being faithful in the little things" and wondering if I was! I was reviewing my thoughts, my actions towards others, my circumstances and I prayed asking God to show me clearly what "being faithful in the little things" looked like today. Is there someone I should encourage? Someone who needs my help? Someone who needs my prayers (even someone I don't particularly like)? It is comforting to know that threshing in the fields may be fulfillment of faithfulness in the little things and the stepping stone to great things.
Thank you for your words today!
- Karen
Good Morning Lisa!
…Faithful in the little, but prepared for the much.
…Living in the world of now, but open to the world of more.
…Committed to being content, but ready to be radical.
I am reading these above statments in regards to our current church situation. I will be praying these phrases over and over today...thank you!
Oh Lisa,
how this resonates with me as I am working really hard on being faithful where I am, but so knowing that God doesn't want to leave me here. Content in the now....daily cross of mine. Thanks for the reminder....we also met at She Speaks 08. Your are contagious!
Thanks for sharing about Gideon. I love the challenge at the end!
I hope you are doing well.
Love this!
…Faithful in the little, but prepared for the much.
…Living in the world of now, but open to the world of more.
…Committed to being content, but ready to be radical.
I so want this to be me.
Aloha Lisa,
I was blessed by this post. It just became a reminder when my husband and I started on our journey with the Lord as evangelists in the Music Ministry. Being faithful in the little things like helping churches start up a worship team and moving on to help another church and other and so on, I just wanted to be able to stay in one place and concentrate on our own Ministry, but God had other plans and we humbly pushed our desires aside and kept helping others. Today because of our humble obedience in the little things God has opened the door for us to share our music in places we never thought we would go to. Thank you for this awesome reminder to never forget it's the little things that paves the way for the greater things the Lord is preparing for us.
HUgz Lorie
Your right, you never know when something like that might change your life-radical obedience. I was at a conference yesterday and the morning devotional was on Gideon. The message is so loud and clear for me.
Thank you!!
In His Graces~Pamela
Lisa,
this is a word that is not up for GRABS for me. AWESOME!
Total encouragement for me in my walk of faith and believing.
Lovingly,
Yolanda
Hey Girl!
Just left you a voice mail. Hope your weekend is as wonderful as you are!! ;)
Okay, loved what you wrote here:
to be found doing what you are supposed to be doing where you’re supposed to be doing it when you're supposed to be doing it.
Oh I hope I am living in obedience when He gets the order to return for us from His Father.
Great, great post Lisa. You always make me think!
Love you,
Lelia
Post a Comment