I interrupt my regularly scheduled deep and (hopefully!)meaningful post to bring you something that will not help you on your journey. That is, unless you happen to find yourself in a dark alley with this motley crew. Word to the wise. If misfits looking like these approach you on the street, run. Fast. In the other direction.Then again, they might be true innocents just on their way home from one of our class socials at church. In which case, they are likely nursing a karaoke hangover and forgot to take off their costumes.
Of course, if you wanna get all spiritual about it, you could call what we did Friday night “karaoke evangelism.” My very wise and witty friend, Caroline(www.crosseyedcafe.com) coined the phrase, and frankly, I like it. In her words, “I think we would have more converts to Christianity if people just realized that God is all for some good, sober silliness.” I couldn’t have said it better, myself, and couldn’t agree more! :) We did have some fun Friday night at our 2nd Annual Whittle Class American Idol Karaoke Night!
But lest you begin putting Caroline up on a spiritual pedestal for her very insightful comment, please refer to her next musing in an email that circulated the morning after…“Take note Wikipedia: two manmade wonders of the world can be seen from space—the Great Wall of China and Garrett’s white belly.” Now, does that woman have a way with words, or what?
And just because I know you’re a curious group of readers…I present to you the infamous belly of which Caroline was referring to...
Garrett, Pre-Britney and white belly…

Garrett, Post-Britney and white belly…
That Garrett is one very tall and secure man, even in his Britney wig and silk knee highs. (Umm...does Britney wear camo?) Though, after “Hit Me Baby, One More Time” and “Genie in a Bottle,” I began seeing the trend in preference of musical selections. Clearly, Garrett is taken with pop princesses of the 90’s. (Sara, start worrying.)

Speaking of synthetics, I do have to say, I think the men (not mentioning any names, Van) liked the wigs a wee bit too much. Case and point…my friends, “L"-axyl and “T"-ash, aka, Axyl and Slash. Wait – is that Axyl on a cell phone? In the middle of "Sweet Child O'Mine?" Who’s he calling? Rehab? Or his tattoo artist, to get his money back?
And if these two try to convince you that they can dance, please tell them that your momma didn’t raise a fool and you aren’t buying what they’re selling. Unless, of course, it comes with a heating pad and some Advil and Icy Hot. Which will be, by the way, what they will be using to ease the strains they got somewhere between Walking Like an Egyptian, Getting Knocked Out and the Cotton-Eyed Joe. (watch this Utube clip for some insight --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg)
Of course, with sweet performances like this one from our Greasers, the night did have its tamer moments.

Michael Jackson graced us with his presence, glove and all...
As did some Jackson wannabes...
(Thriller, anyone?)And yes, even my wise and witty friend, Caroline, made an appearance. At the Love Shack, of course. Though I personally feel her hair could have been bigger.

So another Whittle class function has gone off without a "hitch" or a "glitch." Neither of which was something I had to perform.
Thankfully. :)





8 comments:
And Baptists at that! We're a bit tamer in our neck of the woods, but I can seriously see my "ancients" doing some Love Shack...at least they might dream about it.
Very entertaining, friend.
peace~elaine
we are setting a date to start our class... i am so pumped... you have given me such great ideas... thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
love the pictures even though i can not recognize anyone...
be calling ya soon!! love much, Leigh
I laughed and cried so hard during the Evolution of the Dance video...how awesome is this guy. Seriously...I am so impressed!
You guys know how to have fun and bring glory to God...keep it up!
So fun, Lisa! Looks like an amazing time! How creative and entertaining. I had no idea you were so talented...
I do love a good party!
You are too funny.
Looking forward to the book study at Lelia's.
Yes. I'm back. I managed a real post today! Hooray. My mind is finally stringing more than two words together at once.
You've got hidden talents! Thanks for sharing!
Are you excited about the study? Or are you nervous to read what everyone thinks?
I reread the chapter today and just finished my post and set it to show up on Tuesday. I'm excited to be doing it!
Sorry, I was a bit AWOL.
Oh, I have a contest going if you want to check it out. Win a book, you know. What else would you get from someone who works at B&N?
Post a Comment