No matter what our ethnicity, our age, our social status, marital status or our hair color, we are a part of a unique club of chromosome sharing humans. Though we are each on individual journeys, we all share many of the same desires, the same disappointments, and the same dreams. All of us, in the club.
We all want to be liked and we all need to feel needed.
We all juggle life’s responsibilities and long to make a difference.
We all wish we could change things about our life and wonder if we are to blame.
We all struggle to get real…struggle to be honest…struggle to walk in truth.
We all want more than we have, have more than we deserve, and wish we knew in the deepest places of our heart that it was enough.
And somewhere, dwelling inside all of us, is that little girl who longs to be noticed and screams inside to be heard and wants to feel significant.
We aren’t even that good at hiding it.
When our girlfriends choose to go to lunch without us, we go back to being that little girl who didn’t get chosen for kickball or the cheerleading squad. Hurt.
When we watch our child walking away from truth instead of walking in it, we think about the compromises we made along the way and how they changed our life in ways we didn’t want them to. Regret.
When someone we love tells us they don’t love us anymore, we silently wonder if anyone ever really did or anyone ever really will. Rejection.
Even though we know better. We still think these things.
In our defense, we didn’t gain entrance into this club without some emotional coaching along the way. The truth is, these feelings have been with us for quite awhile.
We learned early on that it is important to be strong and hold it together. That’s what our momma did and that’s just what members of the club do.
We realized right from the start that what we looked like would matter more to people than it should and we might as well do something about that. The club does discriminate against it’s own, and we know it all too well.
We sensed that guilt would be apart of our daily life and so would fear. Those are two things we knew club members would have in common, if nothing else. So we practiced them, continually.
And although the club’s membership is full of women of all different shapes and sizes, there are many common emotional threads that bind us. We may wear the look of an athletic woman. Or the soccer mom who just burnt the dinner. Or the executive in red stilettos with Wall Street on her mind. Or the retired woman who paces herself for the first time in her life. Or the girl next door who likes to curl up with a good book and a hot cup of coffee, especially when it’s raining. Or the artsy eclectic who likes to express herself in ways most people don’t understand and really just likes to be left alone.
But inside, we are all a part of the club. We all know that shopping is a great way to medicate ourselves when we feel really bad about something, and food never talks back or loves us any less. We all know that we will never accomplish enough to make ourselves feel accomplished, but we still have to try. We all know that chick flicks don’t tell us about real life, but we secretly wish they did.
But there are some other things we DON’T fully know that we need to.
We need to know in the deepest places of our heart that we are completely accepted and loved completely by God. That we aren’t perfect, but we don’t have to be because being flawed is part of what makes forgiveness possible. That who we are has nothing to do with the labels people attach to us, even when those labels feel good. That we don’t have to hold it all together and in fact, we are not supposed to.
That being a part of the club doesn’t automatically mean that we will always do things the way we’ve done them or think the way we have thought or function the way we have functioned.
But rather, it is, being a part of a group of chromosome sharing humans who are meant to walk this life together with fingers entwined and hearts knitted who aren’t afraid to admit they sometimes feel like that little girl who didn’t get chosen for kickball.
Because, well...we club members just understand.
P.S. For those of you who are going to be participating in Lelia’s online study of Behind Those Eyes starting tomorrow, I am so excited to share this journey with you! I will be blogging every Tuesday about each of the chapters, and I hope you will come back and visit me to read more about my thoughts on each one and maybe get some insight into what God put on my heart to write about. And...if you want to participate, there is still time for you! Even if you aren’t, I hope you will visit anyway, as I think you will find something here that you can relate to during these 10 weeks. I will likely be blogging more than once a week during that time, so check back often!





8 comments:
Lisa, I am a member of "The Club". It's all I've ever known, as my membership was part of my heritage. This writing resounds with everything within me. I think Club members always know there's 'something more'. That outside of the Club there is freedom and peace that passes understanding. I am on a quest to discover life outside of the 'Club'. The longing for something else is so strong. The 'Club' has provided prison walls of negative talk that isn't Truth. Although situations and feelings point to a lifetime membership in this Club, and memories will always remain, I know there is more....there is life in Him...and God's Word promises that those who seek Him with all their heart will find Him.
Desperately seeking more,
Joy
Girl, you are right on the money.
I loved the part about we
"are meant to walk this life together with fingers entwined and hearts knitted who aren’t afraid to admit they sometimes feel like that little girl who didn’t get chosen for kickball."
So many times we are afraid to entwine fingers and do life together with other women...even thoug we are in the same club.
Thanks so much for the encouragement.
Wow. I was so surprised to see my thoughts on your blog. What a relief to see someone verbalize what many women feel. Not that I ddin't think that there had to be other women (adult women) feeling such things but to have it such was such a confirmation relief.
I love how you reflected on not getting invited to lunch and feeling that school girl feeling of rejection.
Of course being in the trial of my life that I am now, this statement hit me the most:
"When someone we love tells us they don’t love us anymore, we silently wonder if anyone ever really did or anyone ever really will."
Will anyone ever love me like that again. I know God does and always will but I think my part of me feels at those He created us with the mindset to be loved by another human (a spouse). So, will I be loved again when I've already had the love that I KNOW God chose for me yet in his flesh he has rejected me (well, until he sees the Light his Father is trying so desperately to show him.)
Thanks for making me feel not quite so alone.
I have your book and have begun chapter one. I hope I can post about it every week.
Wow! Great thoughts on your post! Lots of pondering for me!!
Looking forward to yor Bible study tomorrow!!
Love ya,
Susan
This post today has me asking myself: "Am I just paying the dues?"
Praying for you and knowing God is going to bring women closer to Him through your book this week!
Lisa, I love this post. I have been a card carrier of "The Club" like many my whole life. Have felt all those things, rejection, unlove, regret. I'm so glad that I have Jesus the one who I never feel any of that.
I'm reading chp. 1 tonight, and will be joining you and the other ladies on the study. Can't wait to read your posts.
Love,
Carol
Lisa,
I am also a member of the club. Thank you for sharing each week. I love it and I love you.
Colleen
....Perfectly said Lisa!!
this member of the "club" has read chapter 1 of Behind Those Eyes and I am very excited to hear everyones insight--especially yours!!
blessings today,
Kim from PA
Post a Comment