Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Forgot to Pour My Morning Cup of Perfection

Good Morning, “Yes to God” girlfriends!

Ms. Perfection wanted to have the perfect post for you today. First thing in the morning…cleverly written…all tied up with a neat little literary bow at the end.

Oh, how she wanted to.

But instead, she made breakfast, put together lunches, counseled her daughter to please put on a sweater, drove carpool, counseled her son to go to school despite the fact that his arms hurt (for no apparent reason), made up beds and spent a few minutes with God. Her morning was complete with bed head and uneven skin tone on a make-up less face.

She's feeling far from perfect this morning...but has thoughts of you on her mind.

Because I want to post what is most helpful to you, I think it best I wait to read a few of your posts and/or comments. After doing that last week and praying through them, it helped me see where I should go with my post. I don’t want to simply restate what I have already said in the book but instead, speak to the issues you are dealing with after reading. I truly want to write what will be most helpful and encouraging to you.

So…if you will…either leave a comment here or post on your blog and link to Lelias (or do both). In between preparing for tomorrow night’s Bible Study and working on another writing project, I will be reading your comments. I hope to post something either later today or tomorrow, at latest.

And just so I'll feel better...will you agree to skip your morning cup of perfection with me? :)

Please at least humor the one with bed head.


post signature

13 comments:

Christy said...

This chapter really made me think about a lot of things. Thank you for your well written words and how you brought it all together.

I'm so thankful for His grace that I can rest in. I can really just give it all up! In Him there is freedom to be the woman he created me to be... flaws and all!

I'm looking forward to reading your post after you've read all of ours:)

I hope today you experience His love, grace, and hear Jesus calling you to come to Him.

Joy Junktion said...

Bed head, well yes, I have that but this morning I also had, yikes, leftover makeup that I didn't wash off my face last night. Oh my, that will send me straight to ... well enough said.

I just joined in this week and am so thankful I did. (I did post on my blog today).

Thank you for allowing God to use you to write this book. If I read no more than the first two chapters, I would be a better person for it.

Have a great day reading, studying and being, well Not Perfect!

Blessings, Cindy

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

I'm with you on skipping the morning of perfectionism.

I'm learning (the hard way) that it takes WAY to much energy to appear perfect!!! :-)

Thanks for this amazing chapter!!!

Jill Beran said...

The chapter has made me think and that is a good thing. The closing words in Tiffany's story were just what I needed to read. As I make plans to sign the book contract, I am being real, but at the same time not pleasing some people who are very dear to me. I have felt in a very tough place, but I know obedience is what will bring peace - thank you for the reminder.

As far as the book, it's titled "Letters from Leanne - The Beauty of a Spiritual Mother-Daughter Relationship." Initially it was all about mentoring and the importance of that, but now that it's finished it's more about the walk of faith, how God uses us in one antoher's lives and the blessings that come from opening up and being real. Not sure what God has in store, but trusting Him as I take this next step.

Thanks and blessings to your day! This imperfect Mom has work to do!!!

Carol said...

This chapter took me 3 days to go through, and I'm feeling very imperfect. I'm still gathering thoughts. But I have posted some of it.

Thank you for reminding us it's okay not to have it all together.

Carol
http://carol-lookingahead.blogspot.com/2008/09/yes-to-god-chapter-2-ms-perfection.html

{darlene} said...

Perfect? Hardly! Still faking it? Well, hmmm, you caught me.

This chapter was filled with 'ouch. ouch. ouch.' moments for me. Thank you for reminding me that "faking it" and striving for perfection is just another lie!

My favorite scripture that reminds me that God wants me to be free from the perfection trap is this: " Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." - Phil. 3:12

We are called to press on, with our eyes fixed on the perfect One. Meanwhile knowing, that I don't have to have it all together. I am free from Ms. Perfection in Christ.

I loved this convicting chapter. Thank you.

Darlene
http://worthwalkingtoward.blogspot.com/2008/09/ms-perfection-ouch.html

Tammy said...

This chapter just peeled off another layer.

Feeling a little uncomfortable but looking ahead for the blessings!

Jill Beran said...

I'm back, but was thinking about this chapter more as I made lunch with my kids and the question that came to mind is, "how do we encourage them to please God rather than man?" I know I grew up worrying about what others think, sometimes because my parents pointed out others were watching. Anyway any thoughts on that?

Runner Mom said...

From one bedhead to another:

I slapped on a cute, pink and monogrammed baseball cap and flew to lead 2 Bible studies this morning! Baseball caps are wonderful for those of us called Ms. Pefection. I even added some darling earrings--no makeup, but accessories always help the cause!

Ms. Pefection did let her guard down in both Bible studies.Your illustration of the beautiful crisp white skirt that your wore on Easter Sunday kept coming to mind! The lovely blue mark that added to your ensemble was a great reminder that God sees right through our pretenses as to who we really are. Why not let our guard down to others as well? He will still love us the same--as will our friends.

Wonderful chapter!

Love ya,
Susan

Liz said...

This chapter was certainly though provoking as I have so often fallen into the trap of thinking that being perfect was better than being real. I know it is not so, and this chapter takes that truth to a deeper level, challenging me to let God be perfect and let me be His Child.
Ok, so my bed head was much worse yesterday. As fate would have it, I have a hair appointment this afternoon and today is a good hair day! LOL!

Kathryn said...

Lisa, I just say to pray and write whatever the Lord impresses upon your heart.

Whatever He says through you will be whatever someone needs to hear (or, err, read). :-)

Amy L Brooke said...

I skipped it today and there is a lot of pressure to be perfect at the moment. I am getting a job promotion. It will eventually mean more pay (yeah) but not for a couple months but it comes with responsibility right now and I don't know enough to be perfect.

I am so glad God doesn't call me to be perfect, that He just wants me to come just as I am. No unrealistic expectation. In fact, His expectations of me are probably far more accurate than mine -- seeing where I've been, where I'm at, and where I am going with His help.

Okay, I slightly didn't skip it totally. My blog sends an email when I get a comment. No emails. No comments. And Hitstats read a whopping "1".

No, that is not a plea, but it is a reality check about where I get my identity. If only God read it, I should happily write it. Not there yet, but I'm praying about it.

Paula V said...

I know the Lord will inspire you whatever you write to/for us.

I felt kind of lousy on my post but I'm thankful for I believe it was what God laid on my heart.

It doesn't seem to be following the direction of others but then I guess I'm always the odd one out.

Thanks so much.

I'm going to try to email you now if I can find your email somewhere. I need to ask you something privately.

Maybe you can reply to this comment and then I'll have your email.

I just need to ask a REALLY quick question that's on a time frame.
Thanks,
Paula