Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lip Service

God has been holding my nose to the grindstone lately.

It’s about saying things with my lips that I don’t really mean in my heart.

I never really noticed that I did this until one day recently over lunch with a friend. I was talking to her about how I was super comfortable with my current weight and what size I was and that I never really wanted to be a size four, anyway. Leaving our lunch date, I got in my car and started to pull out of the parking lot when I happened to catch a glimpse of myself in the rearview mirror. It was then that it hit me. I was a big ‘ole liar. Here I had just been having a great conversation with my girlfriend that I loved and wouldn’t think of lying to, and I had not told her the truth! It wasn’t that I was trying to deceive her. I told her what I wanted to believe was true and what I wished were true, but was not the total and complete truth. Because the truth is that I do not always love or embrace my body.

Like…well…today, for instance. But I won't go into that right now, as it's slightly irrelevant to this blog post. :)

But my issues with lip service are not just relegated to issues with my current size. It’s with matters much important than the numbers on the scale.

I also sometimes say things with my lips that I don’t mean in my heart, when it comes to spiritual matters. Like when I tell someone I will pray for them and I don’t. Ashamedly, that was something I used to do from time to time -- I'd say I would, with the best of intentions, but then I wouldn’t. Because of that grindstone thing, God won’t let me do it anymore. If I say it, He reminds me until I do it. The truth is, I need it to be that way. Otherwise, I could easily fall into just giving lip service, again.

But it grieves me the most when I say things to my beautiful Jesus with my lips that I don’t really mean in my heart.

Like when I tell Him I love Him…but don’t take time to communicate with Him. Where’s the proof of my love in denying Him conversation?

Or when I tell Him I need Him…but try to do things my way first, just in case I’m right. How would He know I need Him when my actions say I don’t?

Or when I tell Him I’ll serve Him…but run away from things that seem too scary or out of my control. Can He feel my desire to serve Him by me bailing all the time?

Or when I tell Him I will put nothing before Him…but then usher the little "g" gods in my life to the front of the line and move Him to the back. What priority does that show when things other than Him have my full attention and He doesn’t?

As much as those things grieve me, I know they grieve Him even more. How much He must tire of me flapping my lips all the time without any substance to my words. After all, He is a God who is really not into lip service. He is not a promiser who doesn’t deliver. When He says He will love me, He does. When He says He will help me, He will. When He says He will be enough, He is. He makes good on His Word and every Word of His is true. He just doesn’t do the lip service thing. It’s not in His character.

But sometimes, I do. Sometimes, it is in mine.

And every time I do, I'm reminded of the verse in Deuteronomy (23:23) that reminds me of where He stands on the whole lip service issue...

“Whatever your lips utter you must be sure to do, because you made your vow freely to the LORD your God with your own mouth.” (NIV)

This verse reminds me that Jesus is only about talk when it is backed up with action. He wants me to do what I say what I will do and mean what I say I mean. He wants me to evaluate myself and take my own inventory so I can begin to catch myself when I begin to slip into lip service patterns of yesterday. It’s called discernment. Godly wisdom. And it’s another element to being completely and totally for real.

It’s just a harder one for me to do, sometimes. But I have to…

…when I’m committing to pray for someone.

…or professing my love for God through a worship song or in private conversations between the two of us.

…or talking to a girlfriend over lunch about my current size.

It’s about telling the truth – to God. To others. And yes, even to myself.

It’s being mindful to never say things with my lips that I don’t mean in my heart.

Which means, by the way, that I should probably be doing a lot less talking these days.

post signature

20 comments:

Shane said...

Thank you Lisa. Such a great post. I wonder every night where my time went. Priority time should have been with Jesus, but most often the moments slipped by, and I pushed Him aside. I pray that I can put some habits into place so that I don't have to wonder in the evening. Instead, I can look back and be thankful at the hours well spent.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Here's the truth. To be a size 4, I'd have to starve. But I sure wouldn't mind being a loose fitting 12. Not there yet. How's that for some truth?!

You are right on with your thoughts here, especially as it pertains to prayer. It is such a holy privilege to pray for others. I've had to back up my words with action or else live with the conviction that I failed to keep my promise.

Our word should be our bond. But my should often falls prey to my flesh. Such a delicate dance between the two.

Thanks for the challenging post. I'll let you know if I get to that loose fitting 12! Believe me, I will be glad to arrive there, and that ain't no lie.

peace~elaine

Unknown said...

I'm with you on the lip service. I find myself asking some of the same questions. If I want more of God, why am I watching yet another hour of HGTV instead of getting into the Word?

In Need of Him said...

Lisa, your words always move me....i am waiting for your book to come in the mail, as I plan to do the study in a couple of weeks, but would love to join yours. Your home church is Northside, correct? And what time will it be on Wednesdays? Please email me and let me know at thompson5710@comporium.net

In Him, Stacey

On Purpose said...

Off to find the duct tape to cover my lips!


ps
Hey heres the latest scoop on the email drama...the email you sent me came into my bulk mail...so I replied to it and copied in the email I have been trying to send you....any luck?

On Purpose said...

I sent it last night at 8:01pm. Do you have a spam blocker or maybe a bulk mail file...your email came into a bulk mail file...

Laura said...

Convicted! Ooh, Lisa, you hit my nail on the head today. I've been dragging my feet about certain spiritual commitments. Thank you for reminding me that Jesus doesn't do lip service! I have these really wonderful good intentions, but sometimes life just drags the get up and go out of me! Keep my nose to the grindstone too, friend!

debrah said...

reading your post should leave me speechless...I am not sure where but I believe that God's word does say that ...they praise me with their lips but their heart is far from me...along with depart from me I never knew you...are things I don't want said of me...and yet I too must acknowledge that I am guilty of lip service...lately during my prayer times I have been prompted to state Lord let this not be just lip service...please do a work in my heart...
thank you for this post...

Jamie said...

This tugged at my heart on many levels. Very thought provoking...I'm going to spend some time thinking on this one today. Thanks for sharing...I think this post will bring about some much needed heart change for me.

MiMi said...

The Holy Spirit has definitely used your post today to convict me about some changes that need to be made in my heart.
Thank you once again for your honesty and transparency.

Paula V said...

Wow, Lisa, this is very good. Again, I was glued to every word. What an inspiration when those we see as mentors are real and honest about their own faults and shortcomings. How inspiring and to say "whooh, I'm not the only way."

I was convicted some time ago to not say I'll pray unless I intend to and make a note of it.

It goes along with this little habit I picked up. If I may share... I heard someone once say why do we pass someone in the hall and ask "how are you doing?" yet we're now out of sigt of each other to hear the answer. That really convicted me also. So, though it may seem rude, if I pass someone in the hall who says "how are you". I reply fine thanks or something as such but only if I have time to stand there in their presence do I ask how they are. I know most of society just sees "how are you" as the same as "hello" but not me anymore.

That was probably more non-sense than you needed.

I appreciate how real you are. Oh, how I wish I lived near you to do your "live" study. I get so much out of live studies and would love to study with you.

I love that verse in Deut. I don't recall it or maybe it just never hit me like it did so easily with your application.
Thanks, Lisa.
Love,
Paula

Vickie said...

Hi Lisa, I am new to reading your blog but very much enjoying it. I too feel very convicted of giving lip service. It really bothers me to know that I say I will do something and then don't follow through, when I knew full well it would've been practically impossible. Good intentions, I realise, are just that, good intentions. Thank you for your openness and I pray God help us to be more honest in our service to Him and to others.

Vickie

Shane said...

By the way... today I just picked up your book at Family Christian Book Store! =) Can't wait to dive in.

Joyful said...

Absolutely wonderful post.

My Mom really instilled this truth in me from a young age. If she said she would call someone - she would. If she said she would invite a family for dinner some day - she didn't really rest until she did. If she promised to pray - she would stop and pray right then. My Mom has been a model of this truth all her life.

Praying the Lord will continue to build this truth into my life so it's not a case of 'the good that I would, I do not'.

Meaning what I say and saying what I mean,
Joy

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

oh friend - homerun today and most days - and I do mean that with my heart too, not just lips!!

thank you and will call you soon! love, Leigh

Stonefox said...

This hits home, sure does. Found you through Shane at HR. Loved this post.

Kay Martin said...

Clean, transparent and still loving is what I hear in your words. What a beautiful world that would be for us saints to live in. We could believe every word we heard from one another. "I will pray for you" then becomes the most beautiful powerful words we hear.

Good post. Thanks.

KelliGirl said...

Lisa,
I found your blog through Shane's at Heart Reflections.

What a wonderful post. How incredibly true and convicting your words are. I am so guilty of doing the very things you wrote about...even when in my heart I know my actions or words are not truly sincere. As Paul said, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." (Romans 7:15). I am so grateful God will continue the work he began in me and not give up!

Blessings,
Kelli

Lelia Chealey said...

Oh. So. So. So Good.
I loved how you pointed out that you weren't trying to deceive your friend but that you still weren't honest with her. Such a good thing to point out. So good. Made me think of how I too don't want to do this.
Another real post from Lisa's heart. You're just about as real as one can come dear friend. And that's the truth! I love it!!!
Love you much,
Lelia

Lelia Chealey said...

Oh, and size 4 or any size that is a single digit??? We must never sit side by side cuz I don't want to look like the linebacker sitting next to the cheerleader! ;) Lol.
You know I'll sit next to you anytime sista!