Actually, you may be glad to know that it is not what I am going to do, on this Tuesday or any Tuesday for the next 10 weeks of Lelia’s online Bible Study of Behind Those Eyes. To be completely honest, it’s hard to be objective when you know the hours you stayed up guzzling coffee to string a sentence together and birth a writing project such as this. Obviously, it’s a passion of mine and something I am deeply attached to or I wouldn't have written it. It's also something I firmly believe God placed on my heart that He wanted me to share with women -- in fact, with you.
But to say that I am excited about joining you for this study is an understatement. I am so honored and humbled that women from all over the country and even, abroad (!), would be so eager to read this book and share what it meant to you. I gave it to God when I wrote it, and I give it to Him, again, and whatever comes out of it that touches your heart.
Having said that, I want to start out today’s post by saying that if there was one thing I would want you to take away from reading chapter one of Behind Those Eyes, (The Truth Hurts) it would be for you to realize just how important truth is to your life.
We say it…we know it…but do we live it?
Sometimes. When it feels good or gets us what we need or think we want.
When faced with moments like the one I experienced in the hair salon I write about in chapter one (which was the catalyst for this book, by the way), we make a choice. We decide to be real or seem perfect. We determine to let down or act completely confident. We give ourselves permission to be sad or pretend to be gloriously happy. Or best of all, we hide our true feelings and instead, appear super spiritual. Which is where the characters we will meet over the next 4 weeks come in.
At the point at which we choose pretense over authenticity, we make a decision to walk away from truth instead of walking in it. It’s where I believe many of us currently reside.
David in the Bible was certainly someone who could identify with walking away from truth instead of walking in it. After all, when you scope someone out you want to sleep with, commit the act, get her pregnant and arrange to have her husband killed so you can cover up for it, you could easily consider your self having walked away from the truth.
But fortunately for David, that was not the end of his story. Because the man who grew from a shepherd boy to the ruler of the nation of Israel…the same one who famously killed the giant Goliath with a rigged up weapon and saved his people from the mean and nasty Philistines remembered what life was life when he once lived in truth. Before the days he walked away from it. And I believe he knew the difference and probably longed for his old way of life. B.T.L.-- Before The Lies.
Like every chapter that follows it, chapter one of Behind Those Eyes has a verse attached to it. If you read the chapter you likely already know what Psalm 51:6 in the Message translation says… “What you’re looking for is truth from the inside out.” The interesting thing to note about that verse is that when it was written was right after the time David was confronted by the prophet Nathan over his sin with Bathsheba. So I suspect that at that point, telling the truth was on the forefront of David’s mind.
But there is another interesting thing to notice about this whole message of truth as it applies to David. Just 4 verses later, in the same chapter in Psalm, David wrote one of the most famous verses in all of the Bible, “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit in me.” It’s as if in verse 6 he tells us what we want and in verse 10 he tells us how to go about getting it! In order to live and walk in truth we have to first clean out the corners of our heart and be of right spirit with God. It simply won’t work any other way.
Though we may wish for them, there are really no shortcuts to living and walking in truth. It is a daily, hourly, and...if you’re like me...minute by minute process of purposeful commitment to being real and honest about who I am…who He is…and yes, even where I’ve been to bring me to this point in my life.
So as you do the Bible study questions in the back of the book and as you face the challenge question head on and do your “getting real” call to action, please remember that this study will not have the same meaning for you if you try to do it before you ask God to do some good heart cleaning. You can’t be like the one who plays softball and waits to receive the ball but stands there without their glove on. Otherwise, you will be ill equipped to receive the nuggets of truth in your own life God wants to present to you through the chapters.
I have learned a lot since writing Behind Those Eyes, nearly 2 years ago. I have seen God change my own heart about the level at which my life is committed to being real and genuine. And yes, I have also had times I wanted to revert back to my old ways of walking away from truth or cleaning out only parts of my heart, but leaving the really deep and painful things in there.
But the one thing that hasn’t changed since I started this journey to be real is the fact that sometimes the truth just plain hurts. Sometimes it is inconvenient. Sometimes it pushes me to do some open heart surgery and face what’s inside that is not healthy. Sometimes it is ugly and sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. But it has always, always been (and I suspect always will be) the determining factor in what I do for God.
He is truth, and His truth alone is what sets us free. And if you’ve looked in the back of the book, you know that’s where we are eventually headed.
May God convince you today that telling the TRUTH is worth the risk of giving up the act.
See you and Ms. Perfection next Tuesday!





27 comments:
Truth takes courage. I wish I had more of that! Can't wait to read what everyone has written.
Hi there Lisa....thank you for listening to God's prompting in that beauty salon chair! I feel as if he had you write the book "just for me." How self-centered is that?? :) Going upstairs to read the chapter once more before reflecting on it in the morning. I'm in AZ, so it's not Tuesday yet here! :) Blessings, Lee
Lisa, I love your writing. It speaks to my heart. And from this post, it sounds like God is the One who received glory - Amen! I look forward to continuing this journey with the group.
Lisa,
Thank you for being obedient to the Holy Spirit's calling to write this book. I know that we will never reflect HIS glory as long as we are covering up with "ourselves". Whether it's "Ms. Perfection, Ms. Spiritual, etc.", none of those women give GOD glory - they are clothed in outfits that show "their supposed glory" which is nothing but vanity and pride.
Thank you for helping women to get real. The world is watching and they know a fake and GOD's name is blasphemed because of it.
Looking forward to the whole book!
Blessings,
Teri
May God convince you today that telling the TRUTH is worth the risk of giving up the act.
Oh...Lisa Girl. I can tell right now God is about to do something inside of me. I fear asking Him to clean my heart out completely because there are things there that the flesh of me just doesn't want to let go of. Things I know keep me from walking out the plans He has specifically carved for Lelia Chealey. Yes, He has brought me far, but I know in my heart He wants me to go further with Him and yet I play it safe and I put on that mask that says "all is well" when inside it's a raging war. Ugghh. I may have to back out of this study...hee hee just playing. I can just tell I have a choice: let God in and learn to be real or keep playing it my way. Got to spend some time alone with Him now. My heart is seriously heavy and aching after reading this awesome post from your heart of realness.
Love you much,
Lelia
Thanks for the incredible prayer and call last night. I'm so glad He's connected us. xoxo
Hey Lisa~
Thank-you for writing this book! It will certainly be a tool to help spur me on.
God is teaching me that as I walk this road of being authentic...each step I take, leads me down the path of speaking and trusting in his heart!!
I want to be real, and I want those around me to be real...the good, the bad, the ugly, and the pretty! It's all needs to be important to me...because it's important to my Father!
Kim~
Hey, Lisa! I just reread chapter one. It speaks volumes as does your post for today. I love "In order to live and walk in truth we have to first clean out the corners of our heart and be of right spirit with God. It simply won’t work any other way." It can be so difficult to do that, but I too want to walk in faith with God.
I've got some corner cleaning to do!
Love ya,
Susan
Lisa,
When you made me promise to read this book after reading the first one, I now know why! I hear your voice in every line. You are in there, sister! I am loving the way you put these words together, almost as much as I love the way they honor our Father.
YOU ARE THE REAL THING!
Until we are able to take our lives to Him, ask Him what is true, receive that and tell it to ourselves we will be stuck in that place of not living in authenticity. Those old lies that we have believed hold us captive, convincing us it is the truest thing about us.
He has been telling me the truth of who I am. I am blown away. As each lie loses it's power, being overcome by the truth, the true me is coming out, making it easier to live in authenticity.
It's amazing how He stirs our hearts isn't it?
Hugs,
Julie
Thanks, Lisa, for being with us on this journey. I have a feeling it's not going to be the most pain-free or easy one.
BTW--by the way, may I tell you that you listed Ps. 53:6. It caught my eye because I just listed 51:6 on my blog. I actually stopped and checked your book. Then when you quoted four verses later, I knew it was 51:6 because create in me a pure heart and a steadfast spirit is 51:10...I've recently committed that to my heart. When I can pray nothing else, I pray that.
Loving how God is working, girls! Thank you for leaving a comment! And thank you, Paula, for pointing out my mistake with the Scripture reference! That's what I get for writing a blog way too late and not proofing over it. :)
Lisa
"…we often alter our personalities to fit a role we think we need to play." *ouch*
That makes me think of the movie "Runaway Bride". How I identified with Maggie Carpenter (Julia Roberts). Can you believe I was moved to tears that she didn't know what kind of eggs she liked? With the three different guys in her life she liked three different styles of eggs, wanting so desperately to be accepted by each one. I saw myself in that scene and it broke my heart.
I read that quote above from your book on another blog. I can't wait for my copy of your book to arrive -
Blessings,
Joy
Oh Lisa, what a wonderful post! And it's only chapter one! I am in tears here because your words about David, how he "remembered what life was like when he once lived in truth. Before the days he walked away from it", have really affected me. I wish I hadn't of walked away from my truth, and I miss the days when I did live in truth, when I still had my innocence and joy for living. Not that I don't have my joy for living now, but I'm scarred by my past and I so need to be healed from my pain. Your book, I just know, is going to help me do this. I just need to be brave. I, like others doing this study most probably are, am fearful of what I will discover about myself, but I know that whatever truths come, painful or not, they will serve a most wonderful purpose, and that is to bring glory to God, and bring me closer to Him. Love In Him, Paula :-)
Lisa,
I loved the first chapter. The truth does hurt sometimes, but we, as women, so yearn for it. One day, years ago, I found myself in a group of women talking about how we preferred our hamburgers. I felt just like you described in your conversation with Bree and ever since, I use the phrase, "hamburger fixin's" for fluffy, inauthentic conversation. I don't want hamburger fixin's, I want the meat! (maybe I should have used that story in my post! Ha!...funny what a night's sleep can do!)
Hi Lisa! I'm looking forward to receiving my copy of your book. This morning I eagerly read Lelia's post, and then throughout the day I have hopped from blog-to-blog when I could, gleaning as much of the study as I could. Wow, what an impact God has made! Thank you!
Thanks Lisa for your sweet comment of encouragement!
I haven't read ahead in the book, but I could have written it, only it wouldn't be as eloquent and it would have had a much harder edge.
My story of "fake" got uglier and uglier until the clay dried and I became hard as stone.
I'm so thankful GOD had spoken to you to write this for women, especially those younger who haven't gone so far they can't bring it back in before they face severe consequences of their own sins.
I love your heart for being obedient and sharing your journey.
Thank you so much!!
Teri
I am SO enjoying being a witness to just how awesome and REAL our God is. He loves us so much and desires for us to be living truthfully right smack dab in the center of His will.
Praying and knowing God will continue to show us more of His REAL self!
Lisa,
Thanks you so much for your post. I've only gotten to read yours and Lelia's.
Authenticty has been a struggle for me because I've had to find out who I was. God is peeling back the false layers of me so the ones He made can show through.
Love this study, I know it's going to be cleansing to my soul and heart.
Love,
Carol
For many years I ran in the other direction from truth and my life was totally upside down.
Now I'm running towards the truth,God's truth,knowing He is there even when it hurts.
I love your writing and your willingness to share.
Lisa-as I posted on my blog, I forsee this being a painful journey...at least to start. I wanted to put your book down after reading the first chapter and back out. But, God has been working on this issue in me longer than I want to admit. So I humble myself and I look into the mirror. I am looking into my eyes and strait down into my heart. This is difficult. I am hoping in "the end" and what is going to transpire in these next 10 weeks. I am willing to change, to reveal myself at whatever cost it might be. I choose truth.
In His Graces~Pamela
Lisa,
This is a great book and the blogs/comments are just spilling forth bringing more insight into the whole business of being REAL!
Thank you for visiting my blog. I am anxious to read on and hear what you and everyone else adds to the discussion. I know that God lead me to Lelia's sight and this book study for a reason!
blessings
Kim
Lisa,
This book is eye opening to say the least. Thank you for being such a willing vessel for our Father.
Sallye
Lisa,
Not only to i thank you for letting God use in this book but also for taking the time to walk with and ecourage us as we each search for the real us.
Thank you for prompting the body of Christ toward authenticity!! I am thrilled to be a part of this study.
I especially love what you said in this post, "we make a decision to walk away from truth instead of walking in it." we choose the easy way out!
I also love this thought, "sometimes the truth just plain hurts. Sometimes it is inconvenient. Sometimes it pushes me to do some open heart surgery and face what’s inside that is not healthy. Sometimes it is ugly and sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. But it has always, always been (and I suspect always will be) the determining factor in what I do for God"
This is truth! God never called us to the easy way out... he calls us to righteousness. Jesus spoke truth publicly for three years... and it made the world mad enough to kill him. wow. Yes, the truth does hurt.
Darlene
PS the title Ms. Perfection already hurts!!! and I haven't read a page yet!
Lisa you wrote: "there are really no shortcuts to living and walking in truth"
That is so true and painful to accept. I think we all hope there is some shortcut or easy way. It's just...easier. But God is looking for holiness and truth in us and that's a journey. Thank you so much for this book. I know it will allow God to create some change in me that is probably overdue!
I love your book, and I read the first chapter last Sunday, but forgot where to respond. What I like most about your writing so far, is that it is engaging, humourous and easy to read. We are all leading such busy lives, that it is often hard for me to focus. The first chapter made me feel a kinship to the writer (which is you), it was nice to hear someone admit what many of us feel inside, but mask all so well behind the smiles, the mannerism's and the perfect clothes. I am trying to hard not to read ahead, but it is hard :) God has certainly used you to speak to women in a new and fresh way.
Dayton Ohio/Lori
Post a Comment