Sunday, October 5, 2008

3 Little Big Words

Lord, help me.

I utter those words a lot.

Like when I’m on the tennis court and my softball playing, home run hitting, much more athletically inclined friend sends a ball smokin’ through the air, aimed right at me.


(As we have concluded our last lesson, here is the picture I promised of my compadres and myself with our tennis coach, Jamey. Our 4th, my awesome girlfriend, Kim, (who I just like so much it’s insane!) left before we took the picture. Super close friend who I love to study the Bible with, Laura, is to the right of Coach Jamey. Said home run hitting BFF, Wendy, is on the far right.)







But tennis lessons aren’t the only time I spoke those three words this week.

Between Wednesday night Bible Study and the online study of Behind Those Eyes, God is rocking my world in significant ways through the testimonies of women all over who are reading the book and allowing Him to peel back layers of their heart that have kept them in bondage, sometimes for years. After reading such an email from one woman who shared her heart and pain with me, I just sat on my bathroom floor and cried. And said those words.

Lord, help me.

I knew I couldn’t change her circumstance or her past.

I knew I couldn’t provide enough wisdom or counsel to make her pain go away.

I knew I couldn’t say enough words to convince her that her Heavenly Father sees her…knows her…and cares for her in the most complete and yet, gentle way.

And in the midst of my cleansing moment on the bathroom floor, I was reminded of how many times I have uttered those same words for myself.

Lord, help me…

…be willing to surrender all of myself to you, even those secret places I don’t like to think about.

…juggle life. I feel pulled in so many directions and I’m not sure I am very effective at anything some days.

…rest in You. Stop worrying about the “next” or even, the “now.”

…love people I don’t like. Pray for people who ask me to. Care more about the needs of others than my own.

…do this whole wife thing. I don’t think I’m very good at it and I’m sure my husband might agree.

…be the kind of mom who loves God so desperately that her kids want to love Him desperately, too.

…realize that it’s OK to give up control. In fact, it’s necessary.

…let go of things I need to let go of and hold on to things I need to hold onto.

…crave You, desire You, worship You, love You…above all else. Put nothing in front of You and make sure that’s not just what I say.


How beautiful and comforting it is to know that I can go to God and only have to say three little words to be released from handling my life. It ministers to my soul to know that when I am in such a place that I can only muster them and nothing else, they are enough. My speech doesn’t have to be eloquent…my words don’t need to sound right…and I don’t need to know how the rest of the story is gonna turn out to ask Him for help. I just need to let Him know that I recognize my helpless, hopeless condition that requires His help and hope and guidance for whatever lies ahead for me.

And in those moments, He will be quick…and thorough…and reliable…to do just that.

If this past week is any indicator of the week that lies ahead, I'm quite sure this very week, those 3 little big words will be (once again) spoken by me. I'm so glad He doesn't mind that I repeat myself alot.

“Listen, GOD! Please, pay attention! Can you make sense of these ramblings, my groans and cries? King-God, I need your help. Every morning you'll hear me at it again. Every morning I lay out the pieces of my life on your altar…” (Psalm 5:1-3a – The Message)

post signature

10 comments:

Joy Junktion said...

I believe those three words can and should be spoken by many of us who are just trying to be willing vessels for God to use because of who HE created us to be.

I am so thankful that I found a link to your book study AND made the commitment to do it with the group.

I am learning so much about myself and thte connection we have a women. I am not a lone ranger anymore.

Blessings, Cindy

Unknown said...

I know that prayer well! Make no mistake about it, the study is hard. But oh if you are really doing it, so worth it. I know God will take all the things we are digging up and dealing with and use them for good. I just know it. And if we need to pray that prayer a million times, just think how much work God will get done in our lives. It just makes me want to praise Him! Hallelujah!

Jill Beran said...

Thanks for sharing and what a wonderful prayer. I know for awhile I lived thinking I had to pray the perfect prayer - how comforting to know that is so far from the truth. Five weeks ago as I went thru a miscarriage, a friend shared a verse about God hearing the groanings of our heart. Sometimes words are not even necessary - it's just going to Him, He knows even if we can't say it. How comforting is that!!

As this study continues I'm sure we'll each be praying those 3 little words, but God will be doing countless BIG things. The week ahead promises some difficulty, but God is here and that is good. Blessings, Jill

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I too can't remeber how many times I have prayed "Lord, help me!" Or "Lord, help him!" Sometimes I feel like that simple little prayer, prayed with sincerity and honesty can move mountains.

I also wanted to let you know that this morning I needed to really read your post you had left for me on my blog. I don't know when you left the post, and it doesn't really matter. I appriciate your prayers, that a Sister I have never met, felt lead to call out my name in prayer to our Father. Since I have posted my testimony to what God has brought me and my husband through in the past, the devil has tormented me with it. The battle I went through last week blind-sighted me and I know that prayer was what got me through.

Many Thanks and God Bless You
Tessa

Jesi said...

So my accountability partner and I started last week and we are loving it. The mustache story in The Truth Hurts was hilarious to us, I think we were bonded by our facial hair in the 7th grade.

Miss Perfection hit a little closer to home.

My new blog that you commented on, www.militarymommys.blogspot.com is up now so you can see the final product.

Thanks for writing this book, its great to get real...
Always
Jesi

On Purpose said...

He takes our words..."Lord, Help Me!" and then He puts His power behind them and then watch out, cause He will do His thing and it will be BIG!

Lysa you are a beautiful daughter of the King who is allowing Him to use you, and work through you. He is changing lives! And the enemy can't stand it! Don't let the enemies complaints, and whines distract you for a minute keep your eyes on Him...yell out "Lord, Help Me!" and let Him do it!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Oh, Lisa. I hear you! When you have the time, and I know you probably don't, I would love for you to hop over to read my latest post. I wrote about 4 little words... "Lord, first let me." Quite a contrast to your three. There's a huge chasm between asking for God's help and telling God what we want to do.

Regardless of where you are today, you are loved by so many, but most perfectly and prominently by our Father. If you don't do anything else in the next 24 hours, do this...

sit back and just take him in--whatever that looks like for you. Don't let the pressure of the world's needs be your constant abiding. Let the presence of God's love suffice the pull you currently feel.

His Spirit is so able and willing to tend to the needs of the masses. You've done your part thus far. Just rest in God today.

peace~elaine

Shannon said...

As always, what a wonderful reminder of God's truth. Thank you for your words- they ministered to my tired heart today.
Blessings to you,
Shannon
PS I started tennis lessons with my daughter and my arms are killing me!!!!!

Christy said...

Sometimes I think that I have to have these long beautifully spoken prayers to God. What I'm learning (actually I am learning A LOT these days, even after being a Christian now for 17 years!) is that my prayers can be short and simple but completely from my heart. Isn't that what He is after anyway?

Amy L Brooke said...

Lord, help me is a very wise prayer. I will pray he gives you wisdom.