I have been given several reality checks about this issue lately, and one happened just last night. My husband and I were in our bed, flipping through channels to find something worth watching, when I saw a commercial, advertising a new show on the fall TV line-up. Had it not been for my body pillow lying next to me, I might have fallen off my bed at the sight of the words across the screen…
The Big Bang Theory.
Just when I think the media has peaked in it’s shock value, they trump themselves and shock me, again. Never thought I’d see the day that a disproved evolutionary textbook theory would make its way to primetime TV.
I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. It’s happened before.
They shocked me with a show appearing last season called Swingtown. Never thought I’d see the day that acceptable TV viewing would include scenarios in which marriage is openly devalued and hedonistic spouse swapping is glorified.
I also never thought I’d see the day that a show called How to Look Good Naked would ever have enough viewers to stay afloat to see season 2, either.
And then there’s that show I used to love to watch when I was in college, 90210. Considered a bit edgy for it’s day, it was nothing compared to its TV counterpart, Melrose Place. And the new 90210? I didn’t watch it and won’t be. The bits and pieces I have heard about it make my stomach turn.
And that’s not all.
With my three children in the car, most often we listen to Christian radio. But every now and then we will tune in to an XM station they like, Radio Disney. A few days ago on our car ride home from school, I decided to stay off my cell phone and take inventory of what the song on the radio they were listening to was actually saying. I don’t know what bothered me more. Hearing the words to the song or hearing my children singing along to some of them…
Don't you see that bigger is better and better is bigger
A little bit is never enough no no no
Don't you want it all! You want it, you know that you want it
The fame and the fortune and more You want it all!
You want it, you know that you want it
You gotta have your star on the door You want the world
Nothing less all the glam and the press only giving you the best reviews
I want it all! I want it I want it want it
My name in lights in Carnegie hall
I want it all!
Hearing this song, three very specific phrases kept going through my mind…
Lust of the flesh.
Lust of the eyes.
Pride of life.
(I John 2:16… “For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.”)
All of a sudden, Radio Disney did not seem quite so harmless anymore.
Even as I write this post this morning, I have to consider the thought that it may not make me popular with some. And I have to acknowledge that it could come across legalistic, though it isn’t and I’m not. But I can’t be deeply troubled about it and afraid to speak out about it at the same time.
Because my thoughts are consumed with holiness. It’s thick on my brain.
Friends, I am burdened enough this morning to pick up the pace and start running. I think I’ve been fast walking long enough, and it clearly doesn’t cut it. Secular society is bringing their “A” game to the table. It’s in my best interest to sprint. By the way, it’s in your best interest, too.
I hope you know…it’s not about TV.
It’s not about Radio Disney.
It’s not a call to get rid of all the media influences in your life.
Unless that is what you feel you have to do to run towards holiness.
Because between what I have seen and heard in the past week, I have a fresh sense of urgency to run after what is good…run after God. Live with a clean heart. Tell the truth and walk in it.
I’d love to write about something much more light and fun this morning. I’d love to tie up this post with a neat little bow and end it with a shiny spin.
But I just can’t.
Because I am living in a time where fast walking isn’t fast enough, friends. It’s just not cutting it.
Gotta start running.
“The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.” Proverbs 18:10 NIV





26 comments:
I am constantly amazed Lisa by the words I hear coming out of the mouths of our children and teens as they pass me at the mall. By the phrases I hear blaring out of the car radio next to me at the red light. By the subject matter on the television series. I e-mailed our local CBS affiliate when Swingtown came on. It made me feel better but it didn't change anything. People watch so advertisers sponsor. I've retreated more and more into my home and church and to this part of the internet that I can control. I can't imagine that God is happy with us. blessings, marlene
Excellent post...I'm right there with you!
Amen Lisa!
May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to Him.
Picking up my pace and running with you,
Joy
I know what you mean, Lisa! It seems like everything and anything goes anymore. I do try to control the input my boys are exposed to, but I've come to realize that it is almost impossible these days! Down to when my husband took my son to a college football game recently and the man behind them continuously let out a stream of profanities throughout the game. My best defense is a good offense! I try to debrief my guys before and after such an event. It's not always easy to anticipate, but we always talk about inappropriate things that happen. Of course, I know this doesn't automatically protect them from the influence, but I pray an open dialogue will go a long way.
Amen!
I'm right there with you, Lisa! Lyrics, tv shows, books, commercials--they are the worst!! Oh, my word! It's scary as to what this world is coming to. Thankfully, Jesus has overcome the world!
Blessings,
Susan
Don't apologize for the run. A walk with Christ and raising the faith of our children will never happen by chance. It happens through a deliberate, ongoing pursuit of all things Sacred. It's intentional living at its best.
You're right...the world is working hard toward its intention for each one of us. We must be vigilant and be involved in our journey of faith and in the faith journeys of our children.
I did have to stop listening to secular music. It was a trigger for me. I also watch very little tv (reality shows being a huge draw for me). I don't apologize for being a parent to my kids. I apologize to them for having to grow up and to live in such a messed up, sin-sick society.
Love your thoughts this morning. Keep to the path of sacred shaping...even if it looks "lethal" to the rest of the world. At the end of the day, at the end of this life, you answer to only One.
He stands as the barometer for good and evil. If it doesn't line up with him, ditch it. Immediately. Life is far too short to be wasted on the insignificant and the misleading.
Love u. Have a good day. Keep running...
peace~elaine
Lisa,
Do you know how encouraging and refreshing it is to hear the TRUTH! I think too many Christians idly sit by and let the influences of our culture make them complacent and deceived. I am NOT bashing T.V. or radio, I love to listen to the radio (even secular songs) and watch T.V.I do know that I have to be on guard and have the strength to say no. I have to say no because it is about my relationship with Him and having a clean heart. We have an opportunity to be an example to our children and to those of us around us who are watching-and they are! Thanks for the encouragement to keep running!
Thank you for taking a stand that is so necessary today. It is so important that we be vigilant. The enemy is on an all out war to destroy our souls and those that we love. We can't be lazy and lethargic at all.
I have a 13 year old son and a 15 year old daughter. Recently I saw an ad for a series I know they love to watch. The series is called "Degrassi" about some school aged kids. Don't know if you know about it. The kids are now grown up and it appears the new fall series shows them off to college. Well, when I saw the preview there was nothing about classes or books or dorms. It was all about sex and losing virginity and choosing to sleep with whomever. I was absolutely shocked. I asked my kids not to watch it anymore.
I heard my son singing a son saying' I kissed a girl and I liked it. I said jokingly so did you kiss a girl? He said no, the song was being sung by a girl who kissed another girl.
It is very difficult but not impossible to parent effectively in this world today. I pray that we all become relentless in our pursuit after holiness, because it's what God demands.
Have a blessed day,
Vickie
it's so interesting how that ol' satan just slyly seeps into every corner of this world and we don't even see it happening until it's here. we can not as christians be idle and do nothing anymore--everything is at stake. praying for the Lord's quick return!!
excellent post!!
kim from pa
and all i can fear is the way it will be when our kids ahve kids... what a task set before us!! We must RUN the race!!
love, Leigh
I have got my running shoes on girl! And ready to run!
So here is the latest...and it's very REAL to me right now. You know the big long email I have been trying to send you...and I tried sending it from two different accounts...well get this the MOPS coordinator at a local church...the one I happen to be speaking at in a couple of weeks...writes me and says...oh I got your email that you sent to "Lisa"....WHAT??!?!?! Yeah "the" email...the one where I spilled out my heart...so if that is not a REAL moment to be living...I am not sure what is!
Lisa, I'm running right with you. I've got two daughters, 12 and 13. It's hard to tow the line for what I know to be right, but I do it anyway. They'll thank me later, even if only in their own hearts. They think I'm a prude now but later I have to beleive that they will see I was not being a pudue but being prudent!
Hi Lisa- even if you are viewing a family friendly (if any exist) program...the commercials can be quite offensive...Many years ago while driving through Pennsylvania - I did not see how the AMISH could do without modern technology...looks like they got it right...I once debated my friend the effects of bewitched vs dracula....my main point was that bewitched was more dangerous because it portrayed witchcraft as attractive and acceptable while very few people thought of dracula as a hero...you are so right to run the more we hang out and accept things of the world the easier it becomes to accept evil and not even recognize it as evil...
Again great post!
Lisa, of course I know who you are!! The whole Whittle crew is legendary around the Tucker house, period. And I remember your three beautiful children!! (Maybe there are more now?) Haha...anyway, all that to say - Lisa, thank you so much for your encouraging words...they could not have come at a better time. I do love to write, and I am learning to share some my written thoughts with others...I did have an incredible summer -- yet i feel like that blog only gives about 1/342345 of my experience, my heart, and my Jesus. It has been hard for me to return to school for this final year - but I know my purpose here is great...and I am beginning the journey of figuring out what He has for me in the next season as I approach graduation.
Thanks again for your encouragement, it meant so much to me and brought a smile to my face!
Oh yes, friend. It never ceases to amaze me how quicky the chasm between the world and the Light are seperating. We must run quickly.
Darlene
Hi Lisa,
This post has really hit home for me. I love thrillers...not the mambe-pambe kind, the curl your toes and scare your socks off thrillers. Not horror stories either, where evil reigns king. But thrillers, where they are as scary as they come, but Good always triumps in the end.
I have justified and made excuses about this for years. Today, God has finally got my attention and I am vowing to watch no more!
I have always been careful not to let my daughter see them. In fact, we are very selective about her TV watching. Just not as careful about our own.
But God revealed something to me this morning that has rocked my world.
My daughter struggles with fear. I mean she even has had anxiety attacks at school on fear alone. It is the greatest tool of the enemy in her life and can cause uproar in our whole house. We have showed her promise verses. We have prayed with and for her. Her teachers have worked out signals with her if she starts having an attack. She prays and draws crosses on her test before taking them. She is nine and clings to me when we are in public because she is afraid of getting snatched. She is also working hard to conquer these fears and her faith is getting stronger. She has come a long way in the last year.
I was praying for her this morning when God brought two pieces of the puzzle togther. My daughter's greatest enemy is the very sin/thrill I love. I almost threw up when that realization hit! For the first time, I realized that the thrill I wanted to hang onto was being used as a weapon against my daughter.
No more! I am running! Don't mess with this mamma bear's cub! I will not allow that in my house no more!
I am now going to ask myself a question about every TV show I watch. (I might just have to junk the thing!) Would I want these people to REALLY come into my home?
Thanks for this post. It is right on the mark!
Pamela R.
Lisa,
I am joining Lelia for the Bible study you wrote and she told me to stop by your blog.
WOW, I am so glad I did. This is what I have been mulling over the last couple of days.
My husband and I both realize that from our youth (we are both 49!) till now, the culture of "the world" has slowly entered our homes through the media. Not too bad at first and now - all out assault.
I don't want to sound legalistic either, but since my glorious and miraculous redemption in HIM two years ago, I increasingly became nauseated literally at what I saw on television.
I honestly do not watch anything now. I like history channel and some black and white movies and I know there are good things to be found - I just don't want it. I've seen enough in my own sinful past. I don't want to be reminded of it.
The only thing we watch or my husband and son is sports.
I will pray for you and all those who have younger children. It's so insidious how the media starts with the "songs and jingles" that lets them know that it's "all about them" early on.
May GOD give you the spirit of wisdom in all things as you seek HIS holiness and protection and guidance with regards to your children.
Teri
Run, Lisa, run! I'm right with you, girl!
I say "Amen!" to a timely a beautifully expressed post.
So blessed to have found your blog today through Christy at "Between Here and Home".
Lisa,
I cringe at so many of the tv shows and movie reviews. You have hit a nerve with many who want to have a home that honors God. I saw a commercial that left me floored the other day...Levi's unbuttoned. Need I say more. It might as well have said, Calling all teenagers. God however has a different calling in mind to handle this. 2 Chron 7:14
I know God is calling us to humble ourselves and pray. Our land needs healing that only a move of God can cure. That is what my prayer group is praying for. I know there are pockets of people praying for the same thing. REVIVAL!
To Lisa and all God's blogging girls: Let's all pick up the pace. The finish line might be sooner than we think.
I am also amazed at what comes into our living rooms via television now. Even programs that several years ago started out "OK", now, gradually begin to slip more and more ungodly things into their story lines.
I am reminded of an illustration I heard years ago --if you put a frog into boiling hot water, he will immediately jump out of the pot. But, if you put a frog in cool water and GRADUALLY raise the temperature to the boiling point, the frog will sit right there and die! Isn't that just like what has happened to Christians in our society? Things we would have "cringed" at just a few years ago are now commonplace in our homes via television.
Thank you for taking a stand and encouraging all of us to stand strong!
I have already prayed for you this morning and am so looking forward to your class tonight! Can't wait to hear how God uses you to speak to me again this week!
See you in a few hours,
Emilie
Lisa,
It seem the older my daughter gets the more the world trys to wraps it's filthy little hands around her.She calls me too strict at times and with a smile I tell her "It's because I love you."
I'm running right behind you!
After what has been going on in my life the past few hours I also realize I need to make sure I am going in the same direction with our Lord as well as 'running' - even as the quote you mentioned - by running to Jesus, with Him as my focus.
Olive
Thanks for telling it the way it is!
Hope you are well.
Blessings,
Pearls
Hi Lisa, been a while since I was able to come to your blog, been missing reading. Thank you for this post, I've gotten to the point where I hardly watch any tv at all.
I watch what my daughter watches, and try to keep ahead of what goes on. There is so much out there that just makes my jaw drop. I know too how having the Holy Spirit with in, and loving the Lord can just remove the blinders. Before I had a relationship with Jesus, I didn't notice the suttle ways, and not so suttle ways things were shown us.
Now I see things with new eyes and it's just amazing. My husband has asked me to make a piece of art for over our TV with Psalm 101:3 I will set before my eyes no vile thing. The deeds of faithless men I hate: they will not cling to me.
Blessings,
Carol
Thanks for grabbing my attention with this Lisa as sometimes I encourage Alivia to watch TV so I can get some writing done. I'll be in the same room, but it's amazing what I can tune out. She takes acting class and it's a Christian organization. This summer they did a little performance with some songs from Hairspray. I had never seen the movie and they gave the kids a soundtrack to practice. Even though the "real live" performance had many things changed, the soundtrack was ridiculous! I am going upstairs in a few moments to throw that CD away. I have no idea why I didn't this summer. Thanks for the wake up call my friend! WOW!! This has really stirred some stuff up in me. Thank you!
Love,
Lelia
And to think the enemy has brought these things into our lives subtly would be an understatement. I’m shocked by what is on TV and what parents allow their children to watch. No wonder they are immune to it at such early ages. I’m heartbroken by it and at the same time I don’t understand why fellow believers are not appalled by any of it. Thank you for speaking up about this because it needs to be echoed in our world today!
Phil. 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Post a Comment