So after a few unsuccessful attempts to write something else about this chapter on Ms. Happiness, I have decided, instead, to take a page from my own book and simply keep it real. Since I do not subscribe to Ms. Perfection, I won’t try to write a perfect post. And since I am a recovering Ms. Confidence-a-holic, I won’t try to convince you that I feel like my thoughts are superbly insightful tonight. The truth is, I got nothin’ much. In which case, the best thing I can do is point you to Someone who (thankfully!) doesn’t run out of things to say.
In recent months, Malachi 4:2 has become one of my favorite verses in all of the Bible because it talks about two of my preferred life themes on this truth-filled journey…healing and freedom. Friends, munch on this…
“But for you who fear my name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in his wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture.” (NLT)
Now I admit that when I first read this verse, the thought of being compared to a calf did not initially appeal to me. I’d rather prefer to be matched up to the likeness of a gazelle with strong, beautiful legs or a white fluffy swan with a long, elegant neck. I’ll take the healing…the freedom…and the joy, but the calf? No, thank you.
But still, this example of a calf intrigued me. Wholeheartedly believing that God is a purposeful God who doesn’t give illustrations without reason, I decided to do some research into just what happens when a calf is let out to pasture. I wanted to find out why He used that particular example in this favorite verse of mine in Malachi.
And what I discovered gave me the answer I was looking for. And then some.
Evidently, when a young calf is let out to pasture for the very first time, it is quite a sight to behold. I’ve been told that if I ever get the opportunity to see it, I need to have my camera ready, because it is supposed to be completely incredible. Because when the iron gate that has kept the calf properly confined has it's grand opening, the newly freed calf leaps and jumps and sprints with its tail high in the air. And then it changes direction and leaps and sprints, again. Its legs run with passion, as it is experiencing freedom for the very first time in its life. Its ecstasy at gaining liberty is exhibited in the raw motion of its joy-filled jumping.
Freedom. Joy. These are words I like. And if a byproduct of having them means I will be compared to a calf in the process, then please, call me a bovine.
I think if we’re honest we’ll admit that some of us haven’t felt free for a very long time. We haven’t quite felt like leaping. Life hasn’t given us anything in particular to sprint over. And we certainly haven’t felt a driving passion to run towards anything. So we have settled, instead, for giving the old 1-2-3 “cheese,” while our insides wilt and sag and reside safely in a world of familiar confinement….a place where our souls hide behind the iron gates, longing to one day be let out to take off in a full-on sprint.
If you are feeling that way, may I encourage you, tonight, with Malachi 4:2?
His ways are healing. His plan offers freedom. His truth brings life.
And He is waiting for you to drop the happy routine long enough to let Him show you what true joy is all about.
Calf-like joy.
P.S. I will be kicking off a new BTE study at our church's main campus tomorrow night, but I will be by to comment on your posts by the weekend. Thank you for your patience with me, as I am truly blessed everytime I read your posts! And...please check back with me on Monday, as I am planning to post on Ms. Spirituality in preparation for Lelia's Tuesday post. I have a few things I want to say about this chapter before you post. Hang on, girls, this one's tough. But you are already well on your way in this truth-filled journey, and the really good stuff will be here before you know it. Just have a little more work to do, first. Remember...He's holding your heart in the process. :)





18 comments:
I love the verse in the Psalms that says, "In His presence is fullness of joy".
The two words I needed to hear tonight, "healing" and "freedom".
"He is waiting for you to drop the happy routine long enough to let Him show you what true joy is all about."
With my name being Joy, in the past I have often felt like "counterfeit Joy", because I struggle with being 'real' and knowing His joy. The Lord has had me on quite the journey and I'm glad to say that I am tasting that freedom that can only come from the Lord.
Becoming His,
Joy
I have seen brand-new little calves still wet from the womb. At first, their little legs are shaky and wobbly like wet noodles. They stick close to their momma for a while. But, then, as they get the hang of things, the sunny day and the spring breeze gets the best of them and they start jumping and bucking and prancing through the pasture. Life is a complete adventure! The grass tickles their noses as they attempt to take their first bite. A bumble bee or horse fly is their playmate. All the while, their momma is right there watching and giving encouraging moos. When darkness comes, they are back to the comfort of their momma's side. So, yes....a bovine I want to be....I want to run and leap with joy and complete abandon but know exactly where to go when darkness comes. Thanks for this post, Lisa. Praying for a blessed week for you, Lee
I tried to stop by last night but blogger was down. :-( I think you are right. We often are not very calf like. I know I'm not as much as I would like to be or as much as he would like me to be!
Thanks for your thoughts.
Amy
Good to read your thoughts and as a farmer's wife who lives on a cattle farm I can say you're right with the calf description. I had never really thought about our comparison though and yes it would be wonderful to be free just like those little 4 legged critters. Thanks again for writing this book, God's using every word.
You have spoken my heart. I AM that person tonight. Bound by the disappointments of life. Joy seems so elusive.
I'm going to the Grand Canyon this weekend.
My first thought was: jump off!
My second thought is: maybe God will meet me there.
Lisa, I am not very familiar with this passage of scripture, but boy was it love at first sight when I read it.
When you describe the calf leaping and jumping and sprinting with its tail high in the air, oh, my heart was singing in exhilaration.
What an incredible experience it is to walk with God. Fresh and new every day.
Thank you for sharing this.
Blessings,
Vickie
Desiring to be leaping and jumping with joy...which only comes from Him filling me with more of Himself!
Great post! Thanks Lysa!
Praying for your BTE kickoff!
Oh, Lisa, you so got me with this one: "I think if we’re honest we’ll admit that some of us haven’t felt free for a very long time. We haven’t quite felt like leaping. Life hasn’t given us anything in particular to sprint over. And we certainly haven’t felt a driving passion to run towards anything. So we have settled, instead, for giving the old 1-2-3 “cheese,” while our insides wilt and sag and reside safely in a world of familiar confinement….a place where our souls hide behind the iron gates, longing to one day be let out to take off in a full-on sprint."
Thank you for bringing the word of God to me this morning, to heal me, and remind me of the freedom I have in him.
Today, with the daily-bread-help of God, I aim to be a small cow. yes. a free, leaping, small cow.
which is ironic, because I normally don't 'do' barnyard animals.
love it.
Darlene
Hello...I am back because while standing in my kitchen making breakfast for my boys...I totally realized that I had spelled your name wrong...I am so sorry! Please forgive me :)
Lisa...Lisa...Lisa...Lisa!!!
I love you girl!
What?!? Lisa Whittle at a loss for words? You're right: I don't believe it. :-)
Keep on writing, dear Lisa. Your God-honoring words are bringing hope and encouragement and new life in Christ to many, many women. I'm so proud to be a small part of this very big God-thing.
Love that "I have nothin' much". Sometimes, that's just how it is! But HE has it all.
Enjoyed learning about the calf! That's refreshing.
Will lift your study up in prayer.
A-Calf-Wanna-Be,
Sharon
Love it, love it, love it! I literally live IN a pasture. My father-in-law has about 50 head of cattle and it's birthing season. So I get to see these little beauties all the time now--and girl, they are a sight to behold! Thanks for sharing the verse! I love it!
Rebecca
That was such a wonderful illustration. I want to be a calf like that!
Does a single with cheese from Wendy's count? It sure made me happy at the time; not so sure about the cow though.
I've been able to witness this freedom in young calves on my friend's farm. Truly, the animals have so much to teach us about living free.
peace~elaine
My grand parents were farmers. I have seen the calves "jump for joy" so I could visualize it well. I know I have felt that way at times-even in some pretty crumy situations. When it is a spiritual joy that we live in it is just like this illustration you gave. I feel like running through a field today!!
In His Graces~Pamela
That was a great illustration. My husband grew up raising cows but I never got to experience that sight.
I think the next time someone calls be a cow, I'll consider it a compliment. Well only if they say a small cow. Haha.
Thanks for the fresh look at this scripture.
Wow, so glad you researched & shared that with us. My friend's husband has a cattle farm. May just have to be giving farmer Steve a call & see this firsthand.
Great insight as always & can't wait for Monday's post.
Easier soon...promise??? :)
Love you much,
Lelia
Lisa, this was such a pleasure to read... I should be in bed sleeping(!!!), but I just wanted to say how lovely it was to learn about your little girl's committment. Beautiful!
Post a Comment