Monday, October 20, 2008

I, Me, and My Gifts

He carried it into the room, breathing heavy but grinning madly.

“Well, here it is, honey. Your birthday present. Happy Birthday, Lisa!”

I stared for a minute at the massive cardboard box. Sizing it up, I quickly determined that the tiny pair of earrings I had been eyeing at Zales was NOT inside.

Scotty could hardly suppress his excitement as he lifted the bulky box off the concealed present. When it was finally uncovered, I paused at the sight of all 42 inches of Magnavox staring back at me.

“Is this for me, honey? A flat screen TV? Are you sure it’s a birthday present for me?” I asked.

“Yes! Of course it is! Don’t you like it?” he replied back.

“Well…uh…sure. Thanks, honey…for MY birthday present. It’s kind of like that lingerie you bought ME on our anniversary. Something for ME, right?” I grinned at him and he grinned back, sheepishly. Without a word, both of us knew what the deal with the birthday gift (and the lingerie) REALLY was.

A year later, I still tease him about that birthday gift “for me.” The gesture was sweet, although somewhere down deep we both know that the gift he bought and offered to me was really more for his enjoyment and pleasure.

It was just given in the name of “gift.”

As I prayed about and considered what to add to this chapter of Ms. Spirituality, this simple illustration came to mind. It reminds me of what we often do when it comes to “giving” things to God, all in the name of something spiritual.

Please don't misunderstand me. It’s not that offering things to God is wrong, but rather, we are to offer our very selves to Him, for that is what He truly desires about anything else. But when we offer a “gift” to God, shrouded in the name of “spirituality” yet with a motive of feeding our own flesh, it is not a true sacrifice or spiritual act of surrender. It is simply another way we attempt to give God gifts we really intend to keep for ourselves.

And that, quite honestly, breaks His heart. It was not His idea for us then, and it is not His idea for us now.

Right before I started to write this post, God impressed on my heart to write it without using the word “I” in it. The truth is, as I look back at my blogs from the past, I am surprised at how many times I use that word in every one.

So I began thinking about how to go about writing this blog without using that word. And because I agree with my friend, Mary, that writing about myself in third person might not only be a bit awkward, but also a bit annoying, I began to dig for what God might be trying to say to me through the impression of not using the word “I” in this blog.

I think I’ve figured out His point. Ironically, it is the same main point of the Ms. Spirituality chapter…

In order to please and love God in a genuine and truthful way, “I” must take the “I” out of everything I do for Him.

That includes my gifts of time.

And of service.

And even, of worship.

There is no room in my "gifts" to God for my ego, my self-interests, or my desire for approval from others.

And if I, like Ms. Spirituality, offer God gifts of service to feed my own flesh, I will find myself finally retreating and/or collapsing, exhausted and burnt out from my endless attempt at “doing.” I will find shallow approval in the admiration of others. And I will be left to wonder why I am not fulfilled when I am so clearly “giving” tangible gifts to God.

The truth is, at some point and time, there’s been a little of Ms. Spirituality in all of us.

And what we need to know is that the Almighty Recipient of our “gifts” would much rather have a small, sincere box full of our surrender than a gigantic box full of an ulterior motive. He would much rather have our heart privately than watch a public display of our "oh yes" without any real depth or sincerity.

The bottom line truth to this blog is the bottom line truth of all our service to God, and that is that the ultimate gift giver Himself is interested in the gift, only if it is truly given to Him.

Not wrapped up with His name on it, but bearing the fingerprints of our own desires inside.

post signature

P.S. Yes to God girlfriends…I greatly apologize for not getting to your blogs as intended this week. Between deadlines and unexpected company and field trips and life(!), it just wasn’t possible. Please know that your comments are very important to me, as I love to hear how God is working in your heart through this book I am so passionate about. If the Lord will help increase my time capacity…and teach me to how to better manage it…I WILL be by this week! I am continuing to pray for you as you continue on in your journey for truth!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa! Your post was wonderful to read. Applying what I am learning each day is such a blessing, and I feel a real sense of God 'moving mountains' in me. No doubt this next chapter will makes it mark. I'm looking forward to getting 'stuck' into it tomorrow. Have wonderful week... Blessings, Naomi

Laura said...

Hey, friend! I know all about those "gifts" given with a hidden motive (even if it's not that obvious at first).

"In order to please and love God in a genuine and truthful way, “I” must take the “I” out of everything I do for Him."

I love this, Lisa, and plan on working to make it part of my internal voice. Too many times I realize too late that my "gift" was not a gift of self.

Thank you, girlfriend, for your openess and sweet heart.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

"offering a gift to God, shrouded with the name of spirituality..."

A wonderful truth, Lisa. Guilty as charged, although I am learning the difference between my fleshly offerings and the offering of a purer faith. With a pure gift, I am less concerned about the fruit, and more concerned about the pleasing aroma that reaches toward heaven.

So glad for your teaching here in blogland. It's always my delight to start my week with you!

peace~elaine

Christy said...

"I" must take the "I" out of everything I do for Him... I think that would make a great magnet on my frig!!!

I love how you said that God would rather have a small, sincere gift of surrender than a gigantic box of ulterior motives.

Thanks for again sharing such wonderful truth and encouragement.

Mary R Snyder said...

Great Truth Lisa! And one that I needed to hear/read today!
I must get the I out of all gifts -- the ones I give to others and the ones the Lord has given to me. Sometimes I get in my own way ... hope that made sense to you.

Thanks again -- and I still don't like talking about myself in third person. It's weird.

Jill Beran said...

It's great to read your words as we work thru this book. Each chapter hits home a little more, but really that is a good thing. God is using your words and it's amazing the timing of each of these chapters. The Moses story was just what I needed to hear as I was deep in doubt about my lack of ability. Blessings, Jill

Runner Mom said...

Taking out the "I." Hmmm...I like that! Loved your thoughts!

I'm behind in completing my reading for this week, but I will get it done.
Hugs,
Susan

Lelia Chealey said...

Oh Lisagirl this is beautifully expressed. I got it. Especially the visual you gave of Scotty's gift to you. Little did he know, he was only being used by God so you could have this very visual lesson of 'what not to do'. LOL!
Great great life lesson Lisa, if only I'll apply it now. All the "Misses" in my life keep getting in my way of what my heart truly desires...just to serve, love & praise Him with my all.
Love you much!!!!
Lelia
P.S. I was not aware of your family's nickname for you, but glad to be counted in the group! :)

Heather - On the Road... said...

I really struggle with wondering if my motives are right. It is so hard with an upfront gift like singing, worship leading, piano playing. I find myself so longing for approval, left over from my past, that I am afraid that I do everything to get attention... not a good place to be in.

Thanks for your thoughts! Hopefully I am not over-analyzing it all too much!
God bless,
Heather

Pamela (His maidservant) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Is that our challenge this week, to take the "I" out of our blogs? I tried it once...a very painful process-now there's the TRUTH!! Take the "I" out of it. I'm hearing you!!!

Blessings!

In His Graces~Pamela

Train Up a Child -- Encouragement for Moms said...

Hi, Lisa,

You know everything you've written seems so simple, so obvious, and because of its easy read-ability it has touched women's hearts without using a 2*4 to the head.

Many can relate to Ms Spirituality. It's an easy trap to get into and the honesty needed to get out of it requires true soul searching.

Thank you for putting the mirror up for us to see ourselves and reflect on our motives and the heart we use to serve.

Lisa said...

Hi Everyone!

Heather...I wanted to write a quick word to you about your comment. I totally understand about balancing that fine line between doing things for self vs. doing things for God. It is tough to differentiate between them sometimes. Because when you are using your gifts to serve and honor God, it WILL feel good and it WILL feel fulfilling. But as humans wearing flesh, it is also very easy to allow feelings of satisfaction and significance expand to the point where it becomes pride. That's why it's SO important to simply stay on our knees and ask God to help keep our hearts pure before Him.

Of course, Satan would love to take these thoughts and either turn them into pride or on the other side of things...cause you to get down on yourself and feel guilty. Neither is healthy, friend, and both are actually a self-focus. The focus on self doesn't have to be positive to still be a focus. Ya know what I mean? :)

Regardless, friend...just pray. Continue to check your motives and everytime you feel those thoughts of pride in self creep up, surrender them. He will honor a heart that is seeking to stay pure. Remember...it's not about perfection. :)

Lysa Terkeurst told me something one time when I was just starting out in my ministry that has stuck with me. She said, "Don't let the compliments go to your head...and don't let the critiques go to your heart." It's something I remember quite often in this ministry journey I am on. It's a good thing for anyone who serves in a spotlight position to remember.

Much love and glad for grace!
Lisa :)

Tammy said...

Lisa, this statement you made is so true:"the ultimate gift giver Himself is interested in the gift, only if it is truly given to Him."

My life was about me for a long time and I never want to go back there. I, too, second guess myself in this ministry and my motives.

But I often wonder,if those thoughts are what keep us humble. To tell you the truth,I never gave a second about my motives when life was all about ME!

Liz said...

Lisa,
Many times, I have felt the challenge to not let "I" dominate my posts (and other things also.) It is more difficult than I thought. Ugh. I love your book and I am thrilled that God is using your words to grow me closer to Him. You have a gift...take that in the spirit it is given and don't get a big head. I am jokin' with you now.
Thanks for what you do.
Liz

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

You nailed it! It reminded me of when I was a little girl and the women would love doing all sorts of things at church - it was a chance to get away from home, kids, husband, housework..and go be appreciated by "GOD".

But, actually, didn't HE call them to love their children, respect and love husbands and that sort of thing...first...after actually loving HIM the most. Not the things for HIM...it's easy to get mixed up because women need to feel valued and appreciated and they don't get alot of that at home.

You are such a blessings,
Keep it up...you are the real deal!
Teri

Carol said...

Lisa,

I love this book, and everything you've shared in it and then even more with the posts. This study has been a heart wrenching exhausting journey, and I feel so much peace. Peace I haven't had.

So taking out the I's is difficult. Everything around us tells it's all about me the individual, but it's not. Thank you for sharing the advice about having peace when we do things for the right motives.

Love
Carol

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I know you're busy, but for fun I tagged you to play a wee game that involves a book. No pressure, just a little bit of blogging fun... Naomi

Carol said...

Hey Lisa,

I wanted to take a moment to Thank you for sending my friend lilly your book. I met her through my scrapbook forums. Anyway I've been praying for her.

Hope your having a good day, and don't forget to take a breath, and be still for a bit my friend.

Love,
Carol

Natalie Witcher said...

Man, do I ever get in the way! Great post!

Heather - On the Road... said...

Lisa,
Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragment. and for the reminder to constantly surrender my motives and heart to God.
Just in the last few days, God has been doing something in me. I don't know how else to describe it, but giving me a dream back... the ability and desire to dream again... to reach for what seems impossible, when I feel like God is calling me to it. I don't know what that will look like yet, but I wrote a post about it:
http://hkudla.wordpress.com/2008/10/24/do-i-dare-to-dream-whats-in-a-name-11/
If you are interested and have the time.
I hope your weekend is blessed with your family. I finally got the chance to get my whole family to head to Milwaukee to visit my parents... we suddenly got a free weekend, and I decided we had better take advantage of it!
God bless,
Heather

LeeBird3 said...

Hey Lisa,

Thanks for your comment on my blog post. Check out my most recent post to see what happened after I read it.

Jill Beran said...

Lisa, Thanks for your comment and encouraging words on my blog. I just posted more thoughts about being real and shared more details of why the journey with my book is difficult. And Lisa as I reflected I realized another problem our pretending causes it not only hurts us at the moment, but later on when the truth is revealed it creates more pain. Hadn't thought much about that. Lisa the timing of this study is quite amazing and obviously something God led me to for such a time as this. Thanks for your work and encouragement. I pray He blesses you for it. jill

LeeBird3 said...

Lisa....oh my gosh....you will never believe what God did at church today...check out my Sermon Note Sunday post...it will give you glory bumps for sure! Hurry! Go! :) Lee

Amy L Brooke said...

Hi Lisa!

Thanks for stopping by my corner of blogdom and the encouragement. I really appreciate you. It is cool to see how God is using your book. :-)

Love ya!

Leaon Mary said...

Hi Lisa,
What a beautiful lesson here.
I have enjoyed your book so very much. You have a WONDERFUL way about you... uniquely you. Because of HIM.
I am anxious to read the next chapter.... and have to "stop" myself from continuing on... ;)
I'm so thankful the Lord used you to share truths' He's shown you.
Lea
<*)))><
ps. I JUST PRAYED FOR YOU... by name. ;)