It was 1991 and I was in college, sitting on the concrete floor of our community laundry room. Somewhere between soak and rinse and the spin cycle, my good friend and I began a beautiful discussion about God. We were talking about some of our deepest thoughts about Him when he turned to me and said, “Lisa, what do you think Jesus looks like?” I paused only briefly, and then answered…
“He has nice eyes.”
At that moment, I could see them in my mind...
Warm.
Deep.
Soulful.
Loving.
Kind.
And looking right back at me…
With compassion.
After several years of living in a state independent from God, I sure needed them. I had made many mistakes and fallen away from what I had always believed. Yes, compassion was the look I needed from my Lord then...and now.
So when my friend asked me to describe Jesus, there was nothing else I could use to describe His physical appearance other than His eyes. Maybe it’s because I love to look into people’s eyes. Eyes tell stories. Eyes describe feelings and emotions. Eyes give you a glimpse into someone’s heart and soul. Eyes are the most beautiful physical characteristic on a person I have ever seen, and I always notice them first. I’ve never seen a pair of eyes that weren’t absolutely beautiful.
Physically, when I think about looking into Jesus’ eyes, I see a warm hue of chocolately-brown. Though I have no proof, these are the color I imagine He wore. But when I visualize His eyes, I see much more than a color. I see a Savior who looks on me with love and compassion I don’t even come close to deserving.
Jesus has the kind of eyes the friends of the paralyzed man had in Luke 5.
“One day as he was teaching, Pharisees and religion teachers were sitting around. They had come from nearly every village in Galilee and Judea, even as far away as Jerusalem, to be there. The healing power of God was on him. Some men arrived carrying a paraplegic on a stretcher. They were looking for a way to get into the house and set him before Jesus. When they couldn't find a way in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof, removed some tiles, and let him down in the middle of everyone, right in front of Jesus. Impressed by their bold belief, he said, "Friend, I forgive your sins." That set the religion scholars and Pharisees buzzing. "Who does he think he is? That's blasphemous talk! God and only God can forgive sins." Jesus knew exactly what they were thinking and said, "Why all this gossipy whispering? Which is simpler: to say 'I forgive your sins,' or to say 'Get up and start walking'? Well, just so it's clear that I'm the Son of Man and authorized to do either, or both. . . ." He now spoke directly to the paraplegic: "Get up. Take your bedroll and go home." Without a moment's hesitation, he did it—got up, took his blanket, and left for home, giving glory to God all the way. The people rubbed their eyes, incredulous—and then also gave glory to God. (vs.17-25, The Message)
Those men had the kind of eyes I need.
The question is...do I have them?
I ran into a friend at the store a few weeks ago and nearly ducked into a nearby aisle so she wouldn’t see me. I didn’t have the time to “talk” and I knew she was going through a difficult time. But I justified it because I was on my way to teach Bible Study.
I saw a man at the mall recently, wheeling his way into a narrow doorway. I wanted to smile at him, but I didn’t want him to think I was patronizing him. So I quickly looked the other way.
I overheard someone talking in line at the post office about her husband who just recently lost his job. I thought about slipping her some money, but I only had a couple of dollars on me. Getting her information to send it to her would have just been a hassle, and I didn’t want to intrude.
I meant to send out an email this week to a woman from church who I know is suffering. But I just didn’t have the courage to reach out to someone who didn’t know me from Adam. I didn’t want to face rejection, if it came.
Eyes of compassion don’t count the cost, by the way. They don’t worry about time frames or agendas or reputation or what others will think of them. They don’t care about the ramifications or consequences of reaching out. They simply act. Out of love. Out of compassion.
Those are the kind of eyes I need.
Those are the kind of eyes I want my children to have for others.
Those are the kind of eyes Jesus looks at you...and me...with.
A recent conversation with my 5-year old little girl reminds me of the importance of having those same eyes.
Shae: Mom, I like helping people. I don’t know why God made me that way.
Me: It’s a big responsibility to help people, isn’t it?
Shae: Yep, it sure is. But I like it.
Having eyes of compassion is a big responsibility. It sometimes costs. Time. Money. Energy. Reputation.
But the payback is rich. Fulfillment. Joy. Peace. Satisfaction. Love.
And…
“They were all struck with astonishment and began glorifying God; and they were filled with fear, saying, "We have seen remarkable things today." (vs. 26)
…watching God do remarkable things.
Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





14 comments:
Hmmm...how often have I acted like I didn't see on because I didn't have time. Ouch. That's a little uncomfortable. But, I needed to hear it and be reminded that I merely a vessel for Christ and that my life is not my own.
Amen girl.
Thank you for this sweet reminder Lisa. I pray for the eyes of Jesus to show to the world around me.
Dad gum you Lisa, now I have to go repent.
Natalie,
I'd have preferred a hearty "AMEN," but I will take what I can get. :)
I knew we were kindred spirits, but you just solidified it with the "dad gum" usage. Must be a mid-west thing...my hubby laughs at me when I say it.
Lisa :)
Oh so true! So often I get wrapped up in my silly old self that I don't for a second stop to help others!! Yikes! It's so sad how many opportunities I miss!
Thanks so much for stopping by my site and commenting. It means a lot. Thanks for sharing about your friend too. That was neat that she got to be there for the birth for your daughter -- what a great thing to share.
I've always wondered what all of that would be like. At 39 I have yet to even feel a baby move in someone else's belly. I'm not bold enough to just go touching people. But a friend was pregnant and would call me over to feel. Andrea would immediately go completely still! Oh, well.
I love that your daughter has compassionate eyes! That is great. I wrote a little about it in this post http://amylbrooke.blogspot.com/2008/01/let-me-out-im-stuck-in-your-pocket-hope.html but the part that sticks out to me is the definition of compassion. Your daughter has the right definition at 5! I got it at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/. It said, "Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it."
If only we could have your daughter's eyes and Jesus' eyes!
though i have not seen your eyes yet, the eyes of your heart have pierced my heart and have gazed on me with His compassion and it means much to me
Your daughter must get her sweet heart from her mommy! Thank you for your sweet comments over at the Wellspring blog! You have been a blessing to me and a sweet source of encouragement. From this angle, your eyes seem to look like the eyes of Jesus. It would be difficult to see the way He sees at all times (er, make that impossible), but we need each other for encouragement to always keep trying!
Blessings to you today!
Laura
Just beautiful!!
Hi Lisa,
I was just needing a break to read some good stuff and the Lord lead me to your blog. Wow,I'm so glad He did. I really enjoy your writing and I'd love to read that book you are giving away. I'll sign up for your drawing and if I don't win it I'll try to order it. Maybe it's something we could carry at P31. Is it a good friendship book? I ask b/c I am developing a message on friendships and always like to bring books that tie in with it. One of my messages is about how important transparency and trust is with our girlfriends. Love what you have shared. Powerful girl, powerful!!!
Renee
Renee...
Girl, I am so glad you stopped by! I am gonna visit you and comment there, but I think Paula's book would be a great book for P31 to carry. It's not so much about friendships, but it definately ties in. We are all lacking that vulnerability and transparency sometimes...wish I could say I didn't, but I do. I know your message about friendship will be a powerful one. You got the gift, girl!
Lisa :)
My father happened to the glory of God lieved.
This honor is the father gave his son the truth, seek to give you a reason to visit their blogs.
Hello?
I am my father's mission to take the message of God and the prophets yijunhui deliver.
Your father is someone you choose, sir.
Feel free to choose to accept or reject the freedom given to you there.
The result is all yours. Creation and destroyed all that.
Our father, I have to say.
.......
"I am your father, a Jehovah God is not a God."
"I have my son, my people as I can."
"I called his son, Jesus sends praise on accomplishments."
"I pray to Jesus who saved me, the Spirit sent down sought."
........
The father gave me and say that the evidence.
I want to get this message to you.
This message is very accurate and honest, and even once in a world that is the message that is not evidence.
The message is that only the Father has chosen to follow.
This message is pro-God and my father.
I have a message for you from now on, if you want permission.
This is not the time for a long time.
You always spend that time is sufficient.
I sincerely pray for me that my father's glory together.
Thank you.
My father happened to the glory of God lieved.
This honor is the father gave his son the truth, seek to give you a reason to visit their blogs.
Hello?
I am my father's mission to take the message of God and the prophets yijunhui deliver.
Your father is someone you choose, sir.
Feel free to choose to accept or reject the freedom given to you there.
The result is all yours. Creation and destroyed all that.
Our father, I have to say.
.......
"I am your father, a Jehovah God is not a God."
"I have my son, my people as I can."
"I called his son, Jesus sends praise on accomplishments."
"I pray to Jesus who saved me, the Spirit sent down sought."
........
The father gave me and say that the evidence.
I want to get this message to you.
This message is very accurate and honest, and even once in a world that is the message that is not evidence.
The message is that only the Father has chosen to follow.
This message is pro-God and my father.
I have a message for you from now on, if you want permission.
This is not the time for a long time.
You always spend that time is sufficient.
I sincerely pray for me that my father's glory together.
Thank you.
Post a Comment