Thursday, February 21, 2008

Rest.

So today I realized I need some serious rest.

We took the kids to a hockey game last night with our good friends. We all had a great time, and I knew going into it that the kid’s bedtime would be later than usual. But what I did not anticipate was that after putting the kids to bed, I was going to catch a very temporary and sudden case of insomnia and stay up until nearly 1:00am watching DVR’d shows I’d missed while watching grown men throw down on the ice for two plus hours. Why is it that people like hockey? I forget.

So I am tired today. Have been all day. But if I’m honest, I’ll admit that it has much less to do with a late night and much more to do with all the pressures I am feeling right now to get all my “stuff” done. Yes, it’s important stuff. But it is making me truly exhausted.

So today as I was in my bathroom getting ready for the day, all my weariness hit me at once. As is my custom, I was taking inventory of the things pressing down on me and formulating plans to get them all done -- methodically, matter-of-factly, with the goal in mind. It was then that the plan took an unexpected turn, and I started to cry. Surprised at my reaction, I went straight to my Father with my tears.

Me(the frustrated and emotional one): “Lord, I can’t make this stuff happen. It’s just not possible. (Listing things off…) How can I do this…and that…and the other…and then this…and something else? I just can’t do it. I simply cannot do it all.”

Him (the strong, yet soft spoken One): “Lisa, rest. Just rest.”

A woman of logic, I immediately began to protest this suggestion.

Me (the stubborn and opinionated one): “But Lord, you know I can’t stop and rest. I have deadlines. I have people counting on me. I have to keep going, and I don’t have time to rest. Why on earth would you suggest that I do that when I am just telling you how much I have to do?”

Him (the omni-scient and oh-so-patient One): “Because you need it.”

Far be it from me to be sarcastic with God, but I really felt like inserting the word, Duh, here. Instead, though, I stopped…paused…and let His words sink down into my soul. Because, well…God doesn’t say anything that isn’t stop-worthy, if you know what I mean. Suddenly I knew He wasn’t talking about getting physical sleep. I knew the kind of rest He was talking about was the supernatural kind of rest that requires much more than 10 solid hours of much needed shuteye.

Girls, I need rest, but it is of the spiritual kind.

I am hosting an event tomorrow night that is very important to me…and I need rest. My new book needs to sell well or my writing career may well be derailed…and I need rest. Pretty new to this blog thing, I want to increase my hits…and I need rest. My website is outdated and needs a bit of a facelift…and I need rest. I have two big conferences coming up that I am speaking for and I have not finished preparing for them…and I need rest. My husband needs me…my kids need me…the housework needs me…the oven needs me…my girlfriends, and my family, and my church needs me…and I need rest. My life is demanding…and busy…and calendared…and crazy…and I need rest.

So re-reading Matthew 11:29 today has been like putting aloe vera on a really bad sunburn. Competely necessary...badly needed…seriously wanted…and immediately soaked in…

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (The Message)

There is no better salve than truth, is there? And no better sound to fall asleep by. So, I’m off to bed now, after a sleepless night and a really long day. My soul needs some serious ZZZZZ’s. For some reason, I doubt I will need my noise maker to help me fall asleep.

Lisa :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nighty-night, Lisa :)

awcamp said...

How well I know the siren call of all those commitments. But isn't it a gift when God's still small voice can be heard amid the din. All the stuff will be there in the morning and the next day, too. And you can deal with it better when you are rested. I pray for soul rest for us both. Thanks, as always, for sharing.

Laura said...

Oh, my dear friend, I feel so tender for you after reading this post! It seems a bit silly for me to say that I was just reading about this very thing in your book last night!! I am trying to take your mother's list of God's multi-tasking checklist to heart. To be grateful, content,mindful, gracious, and a servant is not always an easy task. Once in a while, we just need to rest in His arms. Why does He always have to bring us to tears before we realize that? You have a beautiful heart. It is a huge responsibility to share your love for God with the world. Sometimes, we carry too much of that burden, I think. Let Him carry it for you, Dear One! I will be praying for your upcoming events and for your tender heart to find that rest and stay there!
Laura

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

friend - i am there... whatever i may be going through could be an attack as i would like to think of it as do some spiritual giants. but it could also be a sign from God to slow down and rest.............. how do we know... i always manifest stress phyisically.. and it has been a bit stressful with Clay's schedule... what is He saying - i will listen and pause!! thank you shraing your heart - beautiful one!!

Amy L Brooke said...

I hope you rest well tonight and this weekend. May God grant you wisdomon what to prioritize and when it is okay to stop for a moment and rest.

Lisa said...

Thanks, friends. I am feeling much better and have gotten some good rest the past few nights. The event last night was AWESOME, and I felt God sustaining me and my voice (which was very close to going out). He is so good!

Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. You girls rock!

Lisa :)

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

I came over to tell you about John Eldredge's new book coming out March 25th but I think you are the ghostwriter for his book. :) He talks in the book about all the "stuff" he has to do and how he needs rest...so what's your pen name? I am randomnly giving the book away on my blog (and I'm making people leave quotes---it's a bust, nobody will do it so your chances of winning are wonderful) cause Eldredge gave it to us this week---unedited paperback publisher copy, and I have two---just leave a quote from your favorite book, that would be YOURS and I won't accept any other quote from you but YOURS AND YOU CAN TELL MY BLOG I ASKED YOU TO COME LEAVE ONE. Let me know if you ever speak in the DFW area, maybe your schedule is posted. Tell us if it is! Remember, I am one of your favorite fans who ranks you with Paula and now you are John's ghostwriter. I am going this Friday to hear Paula speak at DBC in Dallas. Have never met her---going with Paula's friend. I love in her book what she says about how we deaden our desires. So, you don't even have to read my blog, just leave a quote by YOU...smile, and we all will smile and love it for you speak from the fray of your heart and that's just beautiful!
PS It has been the most hurtful week for me, wounded again, and my faithful God has so showed up. I am so alive and standing and praising HIM.

Lisa said...

Bev,
Again, you have encouraged me! Thank you for your sweet words, though they are way too generous. I will LOVE to read Eldredge's book -- how interesting that he wrote on this very thing! But that man doesn't need a ghostwriter, does he? Good stuff from him always.

I tried to comment on your blog. Don't know if it worked or not, but it didn't look like it did. Let me know if it doesn't come through. I left a few quotes from some of my favorite authors. Thanks for the great opportunity to win something! It's kinda fun being on the other side of a giveaway. :)

Lisa

palms up girl said...

Oh you so deserve it. It is hard to take the time to rest when we are so used to doing it all on our time shedule. But, you know the Lord will make us rest if we don't take heed. Which I have experienced that more than one time due to my stubborness. So, girl take heed and rest up. Let Him renew you and strengthen you and give you wisdom to minister to all the people that you come in contact with. Thanks for sharing YOU with us and letting the Lord shine through you. You are truly an awesome woman of God.