Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Never More Secure

Well, it’s Election Day.

I find it interesting that on the day our country will decide who will define our future as President, those of us involved in the online study hosted by Lelia are covering the chapter in Behind Those Eyes on God’s love and acceptance. This morning, as I reflect on its relevance, I am thankful for the both the timing of this read as well as the message within its pages. He’s proven, once again, to have perfect orchestration.

To me, the truths covered in chapter 8, We are Completely Loved and Accepted Completely, equal one very significant thing. It’s something we all crave. It’s something we all seek. It’s something we all need, especially in the midst of very uncertain political times. It’s the one thing we worry about and the one thing we find when we think about God’s love and acceptance of us.

It’s…security.

God’s love and acceptance of us is a matter of our security. Whereas our earthly relationships have wavered…failed…and compromised us, our relationship with our Heavenly Father has never been more secure or steadfast. As I think this morning about how unsettled I often feel these days as I watch the world crumble around me, I marvel in the idea that His character has never changed. Not a day. Not an inch. Not an ounce. And neither have this promises.

And that’s a life-altering truth.

Friends, there is not a pillow soft enough to make us feel better…a blanket warm enough to make us feel comforted…a President wise enough to be the solution to all our problems…or a circumstance out there to make us forget that there is nothing in this world that is truly secure. And were it not for our faith, that thought just might get the best of us.

But as with all things true and beautiful and real – on this day as with all the rest – our amazing Lord Jesus stands as the example of unconditional love, unchangeable acceptance and unwavering security. He doesn’t have to be recognized by the powers in government to be holding their destiny and ours in His hand. His promises of love and acceptance carry with them the ability to keep us safe and secure in His big, able arms. He can manage the entire world and yet, gently guide us as individuals, all at the same time.

He is Someone to hold on to when all other elements of our life fail. He won’t leave us, based on who else thinks we are worth it. He isn’t swayed by opinions or how bleak things look. These things simply don’t matter in His sovereign world. But His children? You?…Me? We are what matters to Him. And if we’ll let Him, He’ll show us just how much.

If you are feeling a little insecure…a little unsure…a little lost…or not very loved today, can I encourage you to take a minute to dwell on the Almighty's attributes of love and acceptance? Though these truths have been known by many of us for a very long time, I dare say that we’ve never needed them quite as much as we do now. We need His love, acceptance, and most of all, His security like maybe never before.

On this very important day, let us never forget that He’s never been more stable, more loving, or more sovereign. We are never more secure, and He's never been more near.

post signature

12 comments:

LeeBird3 said...

Getting up at the crack of dawn to vote before work and refusing to feel dread. God is large and in charge! Whichever candidate is elected will need lots and lots of prayer. Thanks for the remindere that our security is found in His boundless love.

Jill Beran said...

Lisa, Thank you for your words this morning. I spent some time thinking of that a bit last night - who knows what this election will bring. Like you said if we dwell on that it can create problems, but He is our rock. I had a great experience these last 24 hours and your book has played a part and for that I thank you. I described it in more detail on my post so feel free to check it out. But do have a question for you - do you think there are things that are simply between a person and God or are there things to gain by sharing with another person as well? Not sure if that makes sense, but last night I took some time to really be real with God, but do I need to take the next step and share with others? Just wondering as I suppose God will impress what needs to be done.
Thanks again for this wonderful book and you are so right the journey is worth the walk!!
Blessings and may we all rest in his security on this election day, Jill

Anonymous said...

I'm so relishing reading 'Behind Those Eyes'. And this post has been an added bonus... Am praying for this election process - it's all over our tv's here... Mercy!

Joy Junktion said...

I cast me vote this morning in the darkness while praying for God's light to shine.

In my post today I verbalized a similar sentiment, though our country may change, God never changes!

Have a blessed day.
Cindy

Joyful said...

Lisa, I am praying for your election today.

This post made me think of Psalm 125 that reminds me that those who place their trust in the Lord are as secure as Mount Zion which cannot be shaken and stands forever.

Blessings,
Joy

Runner Mom said...

Thanks for this post! I am on my way to vote! It's a fairly long wait from what I've heard. So, I plan on taking my "Behind THose Eyes" book, and reading the chapter for today!!
Love ya,
Susan

Leaon Mary said...

Amen Lisa... He's our IMMANUEL.. God with us.
Lisa, I just have to thank you today because I'm so happy our paths crossed. I was reluctant in ways about the WHOLE idea of being real, and transparent. I knew parts are good, parts are great.. but not all.
Please forgive my "scrutiny," because honestly.. I wasn't sure about it all after I jumped in. But I was wrong.. and you're right!
God's showing me alot about my SELF... IN HIM.
Thankyou!
Holykisses,
Leaxoxo

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Welcomed thoughts on a day that's got me sitting on a razor's edge and with the raw emotions to prove it. More than ever, I am heightened with a sense of urgency for God to reveal himself in person and with a kingdom rule that will show the world just exactly who sits on the throne...always.

I'm ready. I've lived long enough to capture a "through the trees" perspective that births the light of eternity on the other side.

I'm gladly walking it home, but until I get there, I gladly resolve to understand the truth...the Truth...who holds my hand and who his holy good and perfected end in mind.

peace~elaine

Paula V said...

I hadn't had time to think about this but you are right. This chapter was perfectly timed. I don't think I was relating the timing of this chapter on Election day because I was focused on how much I needed to be reminded of His deep love for me. Dare I go further and say His deep devotion to me. Yes, I do believe He loves me so much to be devoted to me. I know that I will need to be reminded tomorrow and the next day, next week, next month. I can never be told too much about His UNconditional love for me.

Thank you for this perspective.

I hope you have time to make rounds this week/weekend. I always love to see what your take on my thoughts are.
Love,
Paula

{darlene} said...

"As I think this morning about how unsettled I often feel these days as I watch the world crumble around me, I marvel in the idea that His character has never changed. Not a day. Not an inch. Not an ounce. And neither have this promises.

And that’s a life-altering truth."

"On this very important day, let us never forget that He’s never been more stable, more loving, or more sovereign. We are never more secure, and He's never been more near."

yes. yes. and yes.
Amen.

Carol said...

Hi Lisa,

I hadn't thought of it how the chapter went with election day. I've prayed a lot for the outcome, and even though it's wasn't my choice, I kept going back to the passage in Roman how God choose who's in Authority.

So when we were driving our daughter to school, I was sharing with her that God choose who He needs to have His will acomplished for our country, and we must put our trust and hope in God. And be respectful and pray for our new president, because that is what is pleasing to God.

We out here in California also battled out prop 8 marriage act, and though it passed, it's already back in battle. It's at this time that I remember that God is bigger than all agendas.

Thank you for your words, and again thank you for this study. I loved chapter 8, I so needed that reminder.

Carol

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I love this book from the beginning but chapter 8 gave me the goosebumps!!! And the timing of chapter 8 with election day--how cool is that????

Oh those God-gifts--love em!!
blessings,
Kim